Ch 1

Ninja samurai

 

* warning: this story might be slightly gory.
 
'How can I end this tragedy? Aargh! Think, think, think!' Calvin paced his room, frustration apparent on his face.
'Calvin, just calm down, okay?' Aaron said. Ever since his friend had taken over the throne to the samurai kingdom,  he had been troubling over how to stop the endless bloodshed between the ninjas and samurais. Aaron knew how it had started, but he had no idea why. It was heard that one day, the ninjas had just started attacking and killing samurais for no reason. Aaron shook his head. How could anyone solve such a problem? It was almost impossible.
'If I ask the samurais not to fight the ninjas, they will all be killed at their hands but yet I can't ask the ninjas to stop this madness cause I can't control them, then...then...There is no way to end this!' Calvin continued, still pacing the room.
'Calvin, this sort of problem takes careful consideration to find a suitable solution. I know you want to solve it quickly and put an end to the peoples' suffering. But you must think carefully with a calm mind. If you don't and make a hasty decision, you might only cause the people more suffering. Don't you understand?' Aaron advised.
'But I...I just can't bear to see the people living this sort of lives. The terror they must feel everyday, viewing this sort of bloodshed and killing. It's horrible. Furthermore, what about the children? How will their delicate little minds handle such horrors?'
'Calm down, Calvin. Calm down. We will find a way to solve this and bring peace back to our country one day. Don't worry.'
-------------------------
'Kill him,' a dark figure commanded.
'No!' she replied. 'I won't kill again! You cannot force me!'
A sinister smile played on the dark figure's lips. 'I'm sure you know what will happen if you don't obey.' 
Gui Gui quivered in fear as she realised that she had no choice.  
She had to do as commanded, if only to save them.
------------------------
She stealthed through the night, using the darkness and the shadows as her cover. She was in the palace now. From here on she would have to be careful. Yes, she had successfully entered the outer palace. But everyone knew that the outer palace was loosely guarded; it was the inner palace that was heavily patrolled. Ever since the previous samurai king had been assassinated, there had been greater emphasis on security. She crept around a corner and peered at the darkness beyond. There! She had spotted them, the samurai guards. Stationed outside the gates of the inner palace, they wore the uniformed attire of the palace guards. Their faces were stern and their gazes alert. 
'This is going to be a toughie,' she thought to herself. Her eyes darted about, looking for a way to get past those guards when suddenly, she heard a loud booming sound in a distance. All but two of the guards rushed towards the disturbance. Then, suddenly, a dark figure landed with surprising speed in front of the two remaining guards, taking them by surprise. A quick hit to the neck left the guards unconscious and their bodies slumped to the ground.The dark figure turned around and took off the mask she wore.
'Jade?' Gui Gui exclaimed, removing her own mask. 'What are you doing here?'
'Helping you! That 'boom' sound was made by me. A distraction,' she said, grinning.
'But how do you know I'm here?' Gui Gui asked, bewildered. 
'I followed you. The emperor's forcing you to do this, isn't he?'
'Yes, I-'
'I know you don't want to but you have no choice. Let's get this over with. I'll help you,' Jade said before they masked themselves once again.
Using their martial arts skills, Gui Gui and Jade infiltrated the inner palace's security and finally they stood in front of the king's quarters.
'Go in. I'll keep watch here,' Jade whispered. Gui Gui nodded and slipped into the king's quarters. Stepping into the first room she came to, she recognised it as a training room. The room was mostly bare with a rack of weapons filling one side of the room. On it were weapons of all types and sizes.  She looked at them and spotted a common weapon used among samurais-the Katana( long sword). She unsheathed it from its  scabbard and proceeded on. As quiet as an owl and not making a single sound, she passed by a tea room, a reading room and finally arrived at the bedroom. She peered in and spotted the king almost immediately. Asleep on his bed, the king seemed to be having a nightmare. His face was troubled and he was tossing and turning in bed. She walked towards him, the Katana still in hand.She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.
He was such a good man. Ever since he had taken over the throne, he had gone to great lenghts to make life better for the people of Japan. She didn't want to kill him but the choice was not hers. She exhaled and opened her eyes only to see the king, Calvin, staring at her in bewilderment, causing her to take an involuntary breath in.
'Who are you? What are you doing here?' Calvin asked. Gui Gui did not answer. Instead, she held the Katana out to Calvin. Calvin took it. He understood what this meant. He would have to fight for his life.
-------------------