A Call Away

Reach Out [I'll Catch You]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It wasn't unusual for the phone to ring in the middle of the night of early hours of the morning, so much so that Johnny had stopped complaining about the inconvenience and starting just going back to sleep.

It so happened, that when phone started vibrating from his nightstand this time, Hansol wasn't asleep. In fact, he hadn't even really gone to bed yet, too immersed in the book he'd been reading, curled into the armchair that sits in the corner of the room with the lamplight low so as not to disturb Johnny who'd already fallen asleep.

Without a second thought, he knew who the caller was because really? Who else would be calling him at 1am but Yuta, likely just returned from a schedule.

Quietly, again out of respect for his roommate, he marked his place and left the book on the arm of the chair before padding over to where the phone was still vibrating insistantly. It was unnecessary but he glanced at the caller ID anyway and his lips perked up slightly when he read 'Osaka Prince', never having changed the nickname after Yuta himself had programmed it in several years ago.

He didn't even get the chance to reply because his immediate train of thought was cut off by the sound of sniffling on the other line. Yuta didn't cry, not that he never had reason to but he usually preferred to internalize his emotions (Something Hansol had tried countless times to stop him from doing.)

 "Yuta?" He inquired, hoping that the younger would focus on his voice instead of whatever was causing his distress. 

It worked, the sniffling stopped, only to be replaced by a tiny, unsure voice. "Hyung--?" Yuta whispered and despite their distance at that moment Hansol wanted nothing more than to pull the younger boy into his arms and make everything okay again.

"Yeah, it's me. What's going on? Are you okay?" Hansol asked, voice low but the concern evident. They often had long conversations once the other members had gone to bed but never once had Yuta sounded anything less than happy or content.

He was answered with silence from the Japanese boy but didn't push. Yuta had called him for a reason and Hansol wasn't about to rush him, they had time.

"Hyung- I... don't think I'm cut out for this," He spoke barely above a whisper but Hansol caught every word, hand tightening on his mobile at the absolute defeat in the younger boys voice.

"Calm down. What don't you think you can do?" He kept his voice calm, knowing that the younger would be very attuned to his own mood at that moment.

It was quiet again but this time Yuta had stopped sniffling and started breathing deeply, clearly trying to get a handle on his emotions. He'd probably be embarrassed about his outburst the next time they spoke.

"Can we Skype?" He sounded unsure and Hansol deliberated for a moment, wondering just how pissed off Johnny would be if they managed to wake him up. "Sure, you call," and then he put down the phone to find his laptop (which happened to be buried under a hoodie that he'd worn in practice that day.)

He'd barely managed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter