1.1

When You Wish Upon a Dead Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♪ Recommended to listen : Tamia - Officialy Missing You ♪

That day is just another day in the autumn season of the year. A day with cold wind that blows away dried leaves; people wrapped in thick clothes; cups of warm beverage in the afternoon as well as trees that adorn the streets and hills that start changing color into a variety of yellow, orange then red or brown.

Just an ordinary day... Or so Jeon Wonwoo tries to believe.

The dark haired man is striding along the wave of people crowding the street with his clenched hands stuffed inside the pockets of his thick beige-colored coat. It’s his way of reducing the cold other than hugging himself since there is no bonfire anywhere around him or other source of warmth that can help, especially after the sinking of the sun a few moments ago. He has forgotten to bring gloves with him and is regretting it now. So before his fingers turned ice-like, he exhales slowly and starts moving his legs a little more quickly. A few blocks more and he will soon arrive at his destination thirty minutes before the appointment time.

Well, as usual.

In front of a building with several touches of wood shades and also the source of the faint sound of a piano, Wonwoo finds his pace stalled. A pair of glass doors with 'Caafe' engraved on it is then opened gently by him, the warm atmosphere and distinctive smell of coffee flooding his senses. Jeon Wonwoo takes a deep breath, steps in, and smiles. The glass doors without handles start getting back to their previous positions, closing the entrance. A man with eyes that form a pair of exquisite crescents and hair dyed with carmine rose pastel color smiles back at him with gestures as if to welcome his arrival.

"Wonwoo-ya."

"Evening, hyung," he replies, returning the elder’s greeting with a slight bow.

Hyung gives him a smile again, wider than the previous one with a little row of white teeth visible. Wonwoo really loves that smile. It looks warm - very warm, in fact, to the extent that he can feel the warmth of it to the tips of his previously freezing fingers, thanks to the naughty wind out there.

"A table for two?"

Hyung leads him to a table in the corner, near one of the large windows that displays the pedestrian outside, showered with brown leaves from trees lined along the road. Wonwoo makes himself comfortable on one of the chairs provided before averting his eyes back to the owner of the charming smile from before who is now standing quietly at the side of his table.

"Thank you, hyung," he says sincerely. ‘Caafe’ seems crowded at this time and the knowledge that hyung was still able to spare this table—his favorite table makes Wonwoo feel flattered.

A nod and a smile again. Wonwoo won't be surprised if one day he finds a pair of white wings on the back of that man with ‘Hong Jisoo’ written on his nameplate.

"Drink as usual?"

“Yes, but can you get me an Americano instead of a Latte?"

The smile morphs into a frown. "And food?"

"We’ll order something after he comes. I've eaten,” he lies. He doesn’t feel like eating.

Hong Jisoo casts a doubtful glance at him before darting away and returns with a tray containing two cups of coffee with a somewhat more worried facial expression. Wonwoo always thinks that expression never looks good on Hong Jisoo. Wonwoo always loves his smiling face more.

"Do you really not want anything?" Hong Jisoo furrows his eyebrows. As someone who knows Wonwoo well enough, he knows there is something wrong or there is something troubling him. "I can bring you a plate of pie—"

"Then how about you sit here with me for a moment or two, hyung?" Wonwoo interrupted him and sighed. "Until he comes, at least."

Hong Jisoo changes his face into full of apologies. Especially when his suspiciousness about something happening toWonwoo is indirectly justified and he can’t do anything to help the latter.

Wonwoo usually likes to be alone.

"I’m so sorry. Your order is my last task for today, Wonwoo-ya," says Jisoo, guilt dripping in each word thickly. “My thesis is waiting for me at home, you see.”

"Oh." Wonwoo nods knowingly, somewhat disappointed and confused too. He has always thought Hong Jisoo doesn’t need to waste his precious last year of college even a little bit to serve customers at one of his own family’s cafés when he has workers who can do that for him. But, well, that's Hong Jisoo. His senior has always been different than other people. And confusing too, if he felt like messing with people’s mind. Especially his friends’.

"But, how about I play one song before leaving?" Hong Jisoo points at where his favorite guitar is placed alongside a piano that was being played by a young woman before with a sidelong glance. "Feel like listening to something, Wonwoo-ya?"

Wonwoo is silent for a moment before he moves his head up and down a little then breathes in the answer.

"Officially Missing You."

Hong Jisoo smiles at him, albeit sadly. He smiles back in response and that smile hurts him somehow.

Beautiful singing voice then begins to fill the café through the loudspeakers and Wonwoo, who stares blankly at his reflection on the surface of his coffee, finds himself biting his lower lip hard enough to bleed. Strong iron taste fills his mouth. Painful. And coupled with the bitter taste of Americano, Wonwoo’s mind feels light for a moment. And empty. Numb. He doesn’t think of it as a bad thing though because it won’t do anything good for him if he just keeps on filling his mind with assumptions. If he just keeps on asking himself and keeps on drawing uncertain conclusions of why his calls aren’t answered and why his messages aren’t replied to yet by a contact with ‘Kim Mingyu’ as its name.

.

[Gyu, I will be waiting at the usual place.]

[I have to tell you something.]

[You're coming, right?]

... Gyu?

Mingyu?

.

He might need to just stop thinking about Kim Mingyu—about his boyfriend of three years—altogether, perhaps. Or maybe, he has to stop thinking about Mingyu, about how much he wants him here and don’t want him here, about how much he misses him and how much he loves him, because thinking and reminiscing and hoping won’t do him anything if he still wants to say it later.It will only hurt him more.

But, no.

Instead, when he looks ahead and his eyes meet the sight of an empty seat, his mind starts drifting to the owner of the warm smile that has always been the reason of why he hadn’t given up on life yet…

…until now, at least.

.

"All I hear is raindrops, falling on the rooftop."

.

Part 1 of 3

[Farewell] | [2] | [3]

.

 

When Wonwoo’s pair of dark orbs that were tired of everything first saw him, he shone so bright. So warm. So dazzling. So beautiful.

But, far. Too far.

[He is unreachable. He is impossible. He is not for him.]

—Jeon Wonwoo closed his eyes slowly, giving up for the umpteenth time.

 

[The first time.]

If someone asked me what I loved the most when I opened my eyes in the morning and ready to face the day, I would tell them I loved the sky; the bright blue sky and its rays of sunlight that filled the city with warmth. Sometimes with a touch of white clouds here and there, accompanied by the birds chirping happily in the background. And not only the blue one—the light blue one, it could be the grey one too with windy and rainy days. Or the orange one after the sun disappeared into the horizon. Or the dark one with little dots scattered around as far as I could see.

Whatever color painted it, I had always loved the sky.

And to be honest, I loved the dark one—the night sky, the one full of stars— the most. It was like seeing a magnificent painting by God himself. Especially when accompanied with the calm and pleasant atmosphere, gentle breeze, and a show of the city that slowly fell into rest as the night passed by.

It gave me the feeling of rest, the satisfaction of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter