Chapter 1

Shut Up and Drive

                An envelope laid alone in the blue tin P.O box, the seventh one this week. Minho sighed and slammed the box shut without pulling it out. Surely it was the financial aid department again, the same office he avoided visiting every time he showed his face on campus. He’ll pay them if he can bare this job for much longer, maybe. Then again, maybe not.

                He adjusted his backpack over his shoulder before exiting his building. A cool crisp breeze and the smell of the rain greeted him when he stepped outside. On this hot May day he was hoping that it would rain. The sound could wash his worries away, or at least that’s what he told himself when the soft hush of a fresh downpour descended on Seoul.

                Ah, but perhaps it would be good for him if it didn’t. It’s hell for a designated driver when the roads are slick and the glass gets foggy. Bad enough dealing with the usual plastered divorcee complaining about his ex-wife and alimony, or a businessman who is unappreciated by his boss. A drunk girl who got dumped venting her frustrations, possibly leading to both of their deaths. Hell really had no fury like someone wasted on a rainy day scorned.

                Minho slid his finger across his phone screen when a notification appeared. A request for a driver in Itaewon. Tapping the icon, he watched the app present him with the information of his client after accepting the pick-up. Kim Kibum. 23, the same age as him. Red Ferrari.   

Flashy.  He thought, skeptical and kind of jealous of a young guy who could drive such a car. Probably some spoiled chaebal or rookie idol who just got paid his first big check.

                In his few months as a driver Minho had seen it all. Unsavory company CEOs. Washed up rookies whose names died in the mesh of hundreds of debuted groups that never went anywhere. Spoiled rich kids who spend their generous allowances rebelling against their parents because they aren’t loved enough at home. Either way he didn’t care, nor did he ever ask, but that didn’t stop anyone from telling him their sob stories. A check was a check, and as far as his college loans were concerned, that’s all he needed.

A few more party weekends to go. Minho thought to himself as he stepped off the bus in the neighborhood of his pick-up.

                The car indicated in the picture couldn’t be any more obvious and it was apparent by the people staring at it in amazement lined up in front of the club. Music blared out of the door as patrons walked in and out of the establishment in shimmering dresses and blazers. It was the kind of place Minho would never be caught dead in on any given day. He felt the awkwardness he would expect from the situation as he crossed the street and made his way pass the long line wrapped around the corner.

                Four people stood next to the car, shouting profanities at one another as if they were angry yet clinging to each other like their life depended on it. A short woman hiccupped when she laughed, swaying as she stood next to her support, a giddy-looking red-head young guy taller than her.

“I’m okay I’m okay.” She reassured the two other men in the group, waving off a blonde guy leaning against the passenger side of the car.

He was barely standing, but laughing with a wide smile on his face as if all things were right in the world. It wasn’t until Minho approached the group closer that he noticed more of his appearance. A red fedora, checkered red and black blazer with a red shirt tucked into his plaid skinny jeans. Fashionista and diva were the words that could be attached to a man wearing such a flamboyant outfit. Minho didn’t know much about such things but the magazines his mother left all over his parents’ house would have a guy like him on the cover.

“Kibummie, get home safe.”

“Nicole.” Kibum chimed reaching his hand out to grab nothing. Nicole stumbled forward and collapsed against him, hugging him sloppily and patting his back. “You smell prettiful.”

“Call me when you get home Oppa.”

“Ne eonni.” He answered sweetly.

                Minho cleared his throat and the group looked his way. He pulled out his phone and pointed to the picture on the open app.

“Are you Kim Kibum?” he asked. “I’m here to drive you home safely.”

                Nicole pulled herself off of him and Kibum grinned, immediately scanning Minho’s body while still glued to his own car. The button-up Minho threw on last-minute was fit enough to show his muscular definition. The black top matched his slacks purely coincidentally and his hair was short and unkempt. Surely he wasn’t fascinated by him. If he was, then it must have been the alcohol.

The fourth member of their group was a quiet man who was standing in-between Kibum and Nicole. His hair was dyed several shades of blonde that faded from light at the tips to dark towards the back. The swiped cropped hairstyle revealed piercings in one exposed ear and he was altogether very handsomely dressed and shorter than the rest of the group. He was also studying Minho’s appearance with his head cocked to the side. His arms were folded and the sleeves of his white button-up were rolled into his elbows, revealing what Minho suspected was not a cheap watch on his wrist.

Another flashy pretty boy. Minho thought to himself, meeting his gaze half-heartedly.

Minho really couldn't care less what they were thinking as they scoped him out. However, something about the way the quiet one was regarding him seemed aggressive, like the silent challenge birds give before swooping in to grab a discarded piece of meat. It made him uncomfortable and happy that he didn’t have to bother with them any more than what he was obligated to just for this pick-up.

“Key.” He said to Kibum, planting both hands on the car on either side of his head. Kibum giggled, throwing his hands around his shoulders, as he nuzzled his face. He slid his right hand off the car to clasped Key’s chin and leaned into him, openly kissing him in front of their two companions, the crowd of on-lookers and Minho. Moments later he released his lips and Key groaned, clearly dissatisfied with the short intimate moment. “The nice driver will take you home now.”

“M’kaaay.” Key replied dreary and mystified when he backed off of him.

Kibum finally pulled himself off the car and approached Minho, pulling a set of car keys out of his pocket. He slapped them against Minho’s chest, groping him a little before letting them go. Minho grimaced and caught them before they fell to the ground.

“Driver-ssi, I’m all yours.” Kibum beamed.

“Good night Kibum.” Waved Nicole clinging to her support as she watched him climb into the backseat of the car. His presumed partner shut the door behind him.

“Night-night Nikki!” Key called out to her in English as she and the redhead walked away from the scene. He stuck his hands out the window to reach for the sharply dressed man who kissed him, who smirked when he felt the tug on his shirt. “Jonghyunnie! Come on! Kibummie needs you.”     

“Later.” Jonghyun promised removing his hand, then slowly backed away from the car. “If you behave like a good boy, I’ll reward you the next time I see you. Got it?”

“Whatever.” Key pouted pulling his hands back into the car.

                Minho shook his head as he made his way to the driver’s seat, climbing in and taking the necessary precautions before starting up the car. He adjusted the seat back making more head space for his height and familiarized himself with the controls. When he was ready he started it up and waited for his passenger to settle in comfortably in the back.

“Ready?” Minho asked adjusting the rear-view mirror.

“Ne!” Kibum answered cheerfully after buckling his seatbelt obediently.

                Finally, they were on their way, a red blur speeding along the freeway. After such a scene Minho expected Kibum to be a talkative hyperactive sort of drunk, but he was quiet and calm, simply relaxing as the breeze blew through his hair. A snore arose from the backseat drawing the corner of his eyes to the mirror. Kibum’s head was cocked back and to the side, bobbing as the car rode along, his fedora lying abandoned on the seat beside him. Minho sighed and rolled his eyes, re-focusing on the road.

“Right.” He smirked.

                A random drunk passenger. Another story he didn’t care about. Another face that would disappear after the sun came up the next day. They were all bound to be forgetful. Even his past relationships: forgetful. This was the first and last time Minho would see any of them. He was certainly not interested in some random drunk he just met, no matter how cute he was.

Minho drove the car into the parking lot of the apartment building indicated in Kibum’s profile and listened to it purr as he parked and it turned off. After climbing from the driver’s seat with his keys in hand he opened up the door beside his sleeping passenger.

“Hey.” He called, shaking him gently. “Hey, Kim Kibum-ssi, we’re here.”

                Key stirred from his slumber and looked around him sheepishly. Slowly he was recollecting where he’d been and where he was now. He peered up at Minho, then around the car as if it was something unfamiliar.

“Ah.” He thought aloud, then grabbed his fedora and climbed out. He accepted the keys from Minho and stared at him. “Thanks.”      

“You’re welcome.” Minho said with a little polite bow. “Please be sure to confirm the transaction with the app on your phone. Have a safe night.”

                Minho turned to leave but was apprehended by Key, who grabbed his sleeve, dropping his keys in the process. He looked back and down at the drunk who was clinging to him.

“Ne…Driver-ssi.” Key grinned, gripping his arm firmly, inspecting the biceps he knew he saw earlier. Minho tensed as he watched him. “Do you want to help me up to my apartment?”

“Look, I’m flattered, but I have other clients.” He refused nicely, easing his way out of his grasp. “Plus I don’t think your boyfriend would like that.”

                Key laughed hysterically, almost madly, and slapped his shoulder. Minho gawked at him as he threw himself around then finally subsided moments later.

“Who Jonghyun?” he asked with a raised eyebrow. “Oh please.”

“But…you kissed.” Minho pointed out sounding almost adolescent.

“Jonghyun and I,” Key sighed, placing his index finger at the corner of his mouth as he carefully thought on his words. “We have a complicated friendship. Besides, he left me hanging tonight.”

Key went for him again but Minho gripped both hands before they could touch him.

“Not my business.” He said sternly shoving them away. “I’m busy. Please have a good night.”     

“Cute.” Key smirked devilishly as he watched Minho scurry away,

                       Minho hopped onto the bus when it arrived at his stop. He plopped down in the back and released a heavy sigh of relief. It was practically empty and he was heading to another location, a request that came in right after he sat down. The kiss he witnessed replayed in his head. The look on Jonghyun’s face was burning into his memory along with it. He didn’t care for what his problem was but he didn’t like being challenged. Moreover, he didn’t like losing one. But what was there to challenge? Key’s face popped back into his head. The feeling of Key’s small hand massaging his muscle still lingered. He shook his head, letting the idea that it got to him fall by the wayside. The first and last time indeed.