Chapter One

Run


How am I always late for everything? Throwing my books into my bag as I rush around the apartment to find my phone. I stop in front of my body length mirror and check over myself. Messy brown hair that was being held up in a ponytail, a white t-shirt with a blue checkered shirt over it, matching faded blue jeans and white sneakers. Nodding at my appearance before continuing to rush through my apartment to get all of my things together. 

Once I'm positive that I've picked up everything I need, I grab my brown coat and keys before heading out of the door. Locking it behind me and putting my earphones into each ear before running through the streets of Seoul. It was a busy morning like any other and I was in a rush to make it on time before I would be lectured about my organisation and timing... again. 

Traffic didn't seem so bad today, so I never bothered with waiting like everyone else. I slowed down to a walk to catch my breath as I make my way across the road. I saw the expressions on the people's faces across the street as they looked panicked between me and to the left of me. I frown as I turn my head and see a car heading towards me. As though my body was stunned into shock, my eyes widen and my body tenses as I watch the car getting closer. I'm unable to move out of fear of being hit, so I close my eyes and wait for the impact of the bumper against my legs. 

But it never comes. 

The only feeling I get is air brushing past me as I'm thrown backwards and land on something solid; although it doesn't feel like the hard floor. I gasp as I open my eyes and see that I wasn't hit by the car that had now stopped a few metres away from me. I look down and see a pair of memorising browns eyes. Said eyes had a face and said face was too close to my own. I get up from this stranger that just saved my life and stand up. I hold out my hand for the stranger to use to get up; which he does. 

He dusts himself off as I look around and see the other people were now crossing the road and staring at us as though we were crazy. I turn back to the stranger and finally take in his appearance. He had light brown hair that made his eyes have a slightly darker contrast of brown. He was wearing a black t-shirt with a grey cardigan over it, with matching black skinny jeans but white sneakers. He looked to be in perfect health too and handsome. 

"Are you okay?" He asks me as he looks at me, most likely trying to find any injuries. I nod my head, afraid to speak as I'm still quite shaken up by what just happened to me. He leads off the road and towards where I was walking. He stops me outside a convenience store and checks over me again for reassurance that I was okay. 

"Thank you," I say as I bow a little to him and he smiles at me and rubs the back of his neck. Is he suddenly getting nervous after saving my life? 

"No problem." He replies with a little smile on his lips as he looks down at his feet. I look down at my watch and see that I'm already five minutes late again.

"Thank you again, but I really need to hurry. annyeong!" I say and then begin running again. 

***

So I was ten minutes late to my job at the cafe and my boss wasn't happy with me one bit. I was quick to put my things in my locker in the store room and put my apron around my waist and begin my work. Which consisted of taking people's orders and cleaning tables for six straight hours so far. I only have two hours left for my shift before I can return home and stress about everything again. 

I was cleaning a table when I heard the bell above the door ring again. I quickly finish cleaning the table before putting the cloth in one of the pockets of my apron and pulling out my little notebook and pen. I turn to see the person who had entered the cafe and is it no other than the stranger that saved my life six hours ago. I momentarily freeze as his eyes met mine. I've never seen him come here before, did he follow me? 

I walk up to him and he smiles at me as I stop at the side of his table. He looks flushed as he reaches for a menu and begins to look for something to order. 

"You do Naengmyun (cold noodles) here?" He asks as his face lights up with a smile of excitement as he looks up at me. I nod my head with a smile to return to his own. 

"I'll have some of that please, with some apple juice as well too please." He orders and I quickly write down his order before going to the kitchen to put in his order. While my boss was busy in the store room and everyone else in the cafe were happily eating their food, I make my way back over to the stranger and take a seat across from him. 

"annyeonghaseyo." I greet with a smile and he looks up and tilts his face as he stares at me for a moment. I could feel the blood rushing into my cheeks as he did so and I couldn't help but giggle a little at him. 

"You're so pretty." He says and this triggers my cheeks to somehow become even redder

"I'm Seoyeon-Kim. Nice to meet you." I say as I hold my hand out across the table for him to shake with his own hand. 

"I'm Kim Seok Jin, but please call me Jin." He replies and shakes my hand for a few seconds before we release each other's hand. 

"I've never seen you in here before," I say as I slightly tilt my head as I rest my chin on my hand as my elbow rests on the table. 

"Yeah... I just wanted to make sure you were okay. After what happened this morning." He replies with a nervous chuckle as he rubs the back of his neck like he had this morning after I thanked him. 

Why did I feel like I was going to be seeing Jin a whole lot more after today?