Preparation

Alpha Team meets Red Velvet (Descendants Of The Sun One Shots)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part One: Preparation

 

 

“I’m quite sure you are not aware of what’s going to happen this coming 23rd,” The newly-promoted Colonel Park said as he sat comfortably in his new office chair. He did feel comfortable sitting in a new seat, having a new nameplate on top of his desk, and a three burst-star insignia pinned on his beret. Being the first in his class ultimately made Park Byung Soo proud to be a Colonel, and even prouder to be putting despair on the captain that had humiliated him a while ago in front of the General.

 

“Let me guess,” The man in front of him replied, “I’m getting promoted, am I not sir?”

 

Colonel Park smirked, attempting to keep his cool; despite being the young captain’s superior, he can never win to the wit of this man.

 

“Cunning as ever, daewi Yoo Si Jin. That could’ve been way embarrassing on your part if you were wrong,”

 

Si Jin gave him a candid smile, like a seventh grader who was just complimented by his teacher would, “It was just a hunch, but I’m glad it’s true,”

 

Colonel Park clasped both his hands and rested his elbows on the table’s edge, “You’re correct. You’re getting promoted from daewi to soryeong. But that’s not going to happen on the 23rd,”

 

He can’t help but smirk out the thoughts he had in mind. There he is again, acting all cool like he came straight out of an action movie. The tension between them was still eminent and projecting; just recently, after he and Dae Young showed up at the military base after a year, Colonel Park gave the two survivors an unreasonable assignment to write mission reports as thick as textbooks for an unreasonable cause. He’s still mad because I greeted the Alpha Team first, Si Jin observed while waiting for the command to be given.

 

While the captain’s thoughts were rambling, Colonel Park was scanning through a few folders on his table and picked one. He took the piece of paper which had printed information in it and handed it over to the captain, “It’s Tae Baek’s annual military thanksgiving. It’s a big event, even people from media would be streaming it full-coverage. Alpha Team is to plan everything, and I mean everything. Furthermore, you’ll be assigned to a VIP to the base’s function hall,”

 

“Nugu?”

 

Colonel Park looked at him, “Red Velvet,”

 

Omo, Si Jin blinked in surprise, Red Velvet? In Tae Baek?

 

Unbelievable.

 

His surprised expression suddenly turned into a delighted one. Heaven knows how much he found those group of girls cute. Yoo Si Jin would often talk about numerous girl groups (Red Velvet included) among his Alpha Team members back when they were out on missions, and even during the first eight months they stayed in Urk. He just realized his idolization for K-pop girls subsided when the beautiful doctor came into his life; he realize he had stopped mainly because Kang Mo Yeon was indeed prettier than them…

 

…and partly because Kang Mo Yeon is scary when she gets jealous.

 

“Your job is to keep the guests safe as they make their entry and exit here in the base,”

Si Jin quickly affirmed, “Yes sir,” He took the paper from Colonel Park’s hands and planned on leaving the room immediately; he was excited to tell Dae Young and the others of how Alpha Team has just scored the jackpot mission, as he would like to think of it that way. “Is there anything more you would like to add?”

 

“Ah, Furthermore…by being in charge of everything,” the Colonel explained, “I meant being in charge of the decorations, the posters, as well as the chants for Red Velvet’s special number,”

 

“Ne—mweoragoyo?”

 

“Consider this as your last mission as Captain. It’s way easier than the previous ones you took, isn’t it? And besides, it’s Red Velvet,”

 

How can he even put me into such bizarre assignments? First, textbook mission report paperwork, and now he’s telling me to organize something? Though Si Jin did like Red Velvet, these challenges were going to be make him take the shorter end of the stick, if Kang-seonsaeng knows about this I’m toast.

 

But it’s Red Velvet… It’s not like you’d see a girl group visit the military base once in a while. He was deep in thought.

 

But Kang-seonsaeng… She’s worse than a grenade when she explodes out of jealousy.

 

Ani, Si Jin. Think of the other Special Forces soldiers. They’re dying to get a mission like this.

 

But Kang-seonsaeng… If she knows, she’ll surely..

 

Aigoo, this mission is quite burdensome after all. Si Jin was torn, but as of that moment, he can’t decline a command, especially a mission aspired by so many soldiers. Finally, he decided to raise his right hand and give the Colonel a salute of submission to the command given, “Yes sir,”

 

“I believe that’s just about it,” Colonel Park replied, “Congratulations on your promotion,”

 

“Yes, thank you sir,” Si Jin bowed and quickly ran off outside, unable to hear a follow-up reminder Colonel Park made.

 

“Y-Ya, I forgot,” the Colonel was on the edge of his seat assuming that the captain had heard,but he was already too late. “Tell me if you’ll be meeting the girls! Let me meet them too!” 

 

 

 

 

“Good day, Daewi Yoo Si Jin,”

 

“Yeah, good day to you, private,” He nodded his head to the soldiers he met along the way as he was pacing haphazardly with a troubled and confused expression. As expected, when he started walking along the new recruits’ training grounds, the drill instructor Seo Dae Yong was there eager to meet him.

 

“Do you need my status report now, Sir?” Dae Young asked his superior, disregarding their relationship as best buddies.

 

“Ani, Ani, I don’t need it now,” Si Jin shook his head as he stood with one hand resting on the belt around his waist. Considering his bothered posture and his haphazard way of answering, Dae Young could tell Si Jin was troubled by something.

 

“Is it Doctor Kang?” He asked, now as a friend.

 

“Mweorago? No… Well, kinda,” Si Jin ran his own fingers through his hair, “Red Velvet’s coming on the 23rd. We’ll be heading the security team on that day,” Si Jin swore he saw Dae Young’s eyes widen when he mentioned the words Red Velvet. His fellow fanboy did seem as excited as he was.

 

“Is that something to be so bothered about? I thought you like Red Velvet,”

 

“Well, I’m sorry if Myung Joo would understand it if you liked a girl group,” Si Jin deadpanned, implying that it was the girl group that was something Doctor Kang could be mad about.

 

Dae Young eagerly shook his head, “Myung Joo would surely react the same way Doctor Kang would. She doesn’t understand as well,”

 

“Easily-jealous girlfriend, huh?” Si Jin patted Dae Young’s shoulder, “I can relate. A lot.”

 

Dae Young nodded, “Is that the only thing bothering you?”

 

“That’s Problem Number One. I haven’t told you about the second,” Si Jin handed over the list of preparations given by Colonel Park, “Chants, posters, decorations, guest security… Seriously, it's either he's punishing us for his own reasons or Colonel Park’s trainingg us to be event organizers,”

 

 

 

Later on, he figured he had to meet up with his team members, and despite the short notice, the rest of the Alpha Team were present at the military base’s cafeteria past dinnertime. It was already quiet, and the other soldiers were already in their respective rooms, so the five Special Forces soldiers had the whole dining hall for themselves.

 

“Daewi, it really does seem like he’s making the Alpha Team a group of event organizers,” Sergeant First Class Choi Woo Geun, commonly known for his call sign Snoopy, stated his opinion after hearing their captain’s story. The others affirmed with hesitant nods and frowns on their face, seemingly confused as to what they were supposed to do. This was way far from what soldiers from the elite selection of Special Forces would normally do, but these boys were just as willing to do anything for their idol girl group.

 

“Nonetheless, being assigned on a mission with Red Velvet on it...” Harry Potter Sergeant Gong voiced, “…it’s a mission we thought was impossible to be given,”

 

Ser

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter