One-shot

That's how love works
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: This is my rare non-nc17 rated stuff, I recommend reading it if you feel fluffy~

 

 

“For anyone, to be loved by someone makes life shine.”

When I first met you, we were practically just out of our diaper days. Running around playing like the world is the nicest, most sweetest, place anyone could ever live in. We loved each other’s company and acknowledged each other as our “bestestest” friend.

When we were four you cried for hours on end because some big kids teased you because your name was kind of girly. I was the one to wipe your eyes and told you just how special you are, no matter what your name is. I told you that a name is what you make of it and that you would always be my Jaesoonie.

When we were five you lost your first tooth. You told me you were so excited because now the Tooth Fairy can visit you. You had everything planned. You put your tooth in a plastic bag and placed it under your pillow. Then you went and set a glass of milk out for her “so she can have strong teeth too!”.  I had never seen you so happy about money when you found 1000 won under your pillow the next morning.

When we were six your dad died of a . You told me that you thought your dad was just taking a long nap to rest his nerves, because you didn’t really understand the concept of death. You said that you were happy that he would finally get proper sleeping time. A week later at his funeral, you cried a new Niagara Falls when you finally figured out what death really was. That was the day I promised to always be by your side.

However, promises made by children aren’t kept well when parents decide to intervene. My parents decided to move to Japan for better jobs when we were eight. When I told you, you pulled the biggest fit I’d ever seen you do back then. You kicked things, screamed just for the hell of it, cried rivers, and even hit me. You said I was breaking my promise and you’d never forgive me. The look you gave me that day still haunts me. I don’t really think you knew what hate and resentment were, but you came pretty damn close that day. I got down on my knees and begged you not to hate me. I promised that I would come back for you and I would never forget about you. You believed me, and after a heartbreaking good-bye… I was off to Japan.

Looking back on my years in Japan, it was actually a really nice place to live. I made friends and our new house was close to a park. A lot of kids played soccer there, so I was actually happy. However, I remember missing you so much that I cried almost every time I thought about you. I kept thinking, “Jaesoonie would have loved to try the Japanese Coca-Cola products” or “Jaesoonie would have loved watching Pokémon in its native country”. Those thoughts, and a bunch more, made me cry my eyes out at least once a week.

But time goes on and people grow apart. When I was eleven, my mom caught my dad cheating at work and they got a divorce. After a few legal disputes, my mom won the right to sole-custody of me. Dad still has visitation rights, but I just live with my mom now.  I remember her words after the judge gave the verdict.

“Now you can see Jaesoon again.”

To this day, I still remember how happy you were when I walked through your front door. Your mom didn’t tell you I was coming back; she only said she had a surprise for you. I had been sitting on the window seat in your kitchen when you came in, wanting a coke I bet. You froze mid-step with your eyes wide. All of a sudden, you ran straight towards me, arms wide and tears in your eyes. You plopped into my lap and buried your head in my chest, your tears staining my shirt. I remember I hugged you, kissed you, and showed you all my love that day. When our mothers saw you asleep in my lap, they smiled and told me to take you to your room. That night was the first night in three years that we slept together.

The next morning, I woke up to you straddling my lap again. My reflex reaction was to wrap my arms around you. We caught up on lost time that day; you in my lap, my arms around your waist. I told you everything I experienced in Japan. Everything from how the people act, to the color of their subway chairs.

But then you told me how the last three years fared for you. You said you had been bullied for various little quirks you have. Your head was too big, your eyes were too small, your mouth was shaped weird, your too short, too girly, too much of this and not enough that. Apparently, you had grown to believe what they said. It made me angry just hearing about it.

The teasing got so bad that you even changed your name to lessen it.

“My name is Yong Junhyung now. It’s what my dad wanted to name me and I really like it. Please call me by that name from now on.”

But before I had the chance to scold you for believing that junk for even a second, you told me about how your mom moved you to a different school. How you got over the bullying and you’re not a target now. You made friends with, judging by what you told me about them, good people. I couldn’t wait to meet them.

The following school day was quite eventful. This wasn’t the same school that held all of your bullies so I was able to walk around beside you without feeling the need to choke anybody. I met your friends before class. They were an odd bunch of kids varying in age from ten to twelve.

I remember the youngest was a really tall, foreign looking dude. He was kind of socially awkward but still fun to be around. Another one was kind of short with really big lips. His hair reached his shoulders and he looked rather muscular for his age. The kid next to him was equally as short but looked more like a porcelain doll. He looked kind of sickly but was very energetic. The last one resembled a tomboyish girl, or at least a puppy. He had curly hair that was in a bowl cut shape and a seemingly delicate frame. However, everything about his personality practically screams ‘I’m a man’.

They all seemed like they belonged in other social groups; like they were all outsiders that came together to form one group of misfits. It was nice, having a variety of friends like that. I could tell you were happy with them. I was happy you were happy.

Later, I found out why our group of friends was so mismatched.

The socially awkward one, Dongwoon, was your average nerd. They were pretty sure that if you looked up the word geek in the dictionary, his picture would be the first reference there. Every now and then he’d get his books knocked out of his hands or he’d be pushed into a locker or two, but that was usually the extent of his distress.

The short one with big lips, Kikwang, used to be popular until he stood up for Dongwoon when he first got pushed into a locker. Because of that, some big kids played a prank on him that soaked him in honey and pillow feathers. His so called friends wouldn’t talk to him after that.

The other short kid, Yoseob, is practically everyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter