A Roasted Bean

Roasted Beans

 

    Coffee is a necessity in society’s daily lives. The hottest cafes for a roasted bean, hot or cold, is based off of status and personality. Dunkin’ Donuts, also known as the sugar land, is 95% sugar and milk, while the other 5% is actual coffee; yet that small percentage of coffee is so watered down to the core that is straight up melted sugar. Its’ daily customers crave for a sugar rush and are not at the highest finance in the food chain. Starbucks, a stereotypical white girl cafe, has a more modern feel to the wannabe-cafe. The aroma of the coffee is so pungent that most of its’ daily victims do not understand the concept of lighter coffee. Their personalities can vary from a high class businessman to a stuck up snob.

I was different; insteading of enjoying the public’s interpretation of real coffee, I go to my local cafe Roasted Beans. Although it appears dingy from the inside, and out, it’s products do not disappoint. You want breakfast? They have it. You want something with Nutella and coffee? They have Nutella coffee. This was the it place for wannabe hipsters.

 

A carefully composed song played through the Audio Technica headphones I wore. The message was that of saying goodbye to a lover forever. Violins and a piano accompanied the song to fully convey the storyline. A small smile spread across my face as I listened and decoded my masterpiece. This is it.

    A light tap was presented on my shoulder, which carried along with the beat of the song. I slapped the space bar and removed my headphones. A familiar smile was plastered on the face of the barista in front of me. “Caramel macchiato with a shot of espresso,” Hakyeon, placed down the freshly made drink on the dark wooden table. The motherly man and I have known one another since we were in diapers; we grew up as neighbors and have been inseparable ever since. “And here is a free brownie I stole from the front.”

    I scoffed at Hakyeon before sipping on my body warming drink. Hakyeon, aside from being my closest friend, has been the only one to know the real me. I was highly reserved and never spoke unless spoken to, and if you did get me to speak I would say a sentence at most. Hakyeon respected me and had patiently waited for me to finally present my true self to him.

    “What are you working on?” Hakyeon pulled the wooden seat out from beside me and placed himself down. I felt the presence of Hakyeon leaning close to me, trying to understand the foreign software on my screen.

    “The composition project I told you about,” I placed my headphones over Hakyeon’s ears, “and I think this is the best song I have ever composed.” Hakyeon tapped the spacebar to start the song. My eyes never left Hakyeon’s comforting face. Hakyeon’s smile faded as the song continued, letting me know the story had been received properly.

    As the song neared the end, Hakyeon removed the headphones and opened his mouth, “Jihee,” he paused, making me want to strangle the answer out of him, but I patiently waited, “you are a composer! How did you come up with this beautiful song?!”

Hakyeon threw his arms around me, causing me to suffocate from lack of air. “Hak-yeon,” I coughed into his arms. “AIR.” Hakyeon refused to obey my command, which left me with no choice. My teeth lightly sank into Hakyeon’s soft arm, making him yelp in pain. Hakyeon whinned to me as I began to explain how I created the story.

An angry voice interrupted my speech and greeted the ears of Hakyeon, “Cha Hakyeon! Get back to work! I don’t pay you to sit around with Jihee all day!” Jin, the owner of Roasted Beans, rushed over to Hakyeon and I, hitting the back of Hakyeon’s head. Jin was a middle aged lady who was short and stocky, but very loveable. She had hired Hakyeon after his constant begging and pleading; she was basically our second mother.

Hakyeon winced in pain, “But, Jin, our Jihee has composed a wonderfully crafted song!”

Jin deeply inhaled air in between her teeth and shook her head, “You make it sound as if she has made the world's best beer; get back to work!” Hakyeon’s shoulders slumped forward as he took the walk of shame back to the bar. “I hope Hakyeon wasn’t bothering you too much, Jihee. How are you though? Is it true this song is a work of art?”

A slight chuckle left my vocal chords, “Well, mam’, Hakyeon is always in favor of my work, even when I could barely hold a note at a young age, so I wouldn’t always listen to his opinion.”

“Nonsense! Hakyeon is very talented in the performing arts, as you know. I need to hear this song later, okay? Enjoy that free brownie Hakyeon stole.” Jin walked away, but continued to yell at Hakyeon who was listening on in the conversation.

Hakyeon scrambled away as Jin grabbed for a broom, “I’ll see you tonight, Jihee!” A light laugh escaped my throat, as I began to pack away my items. I swung my messenger bag over my shoulder and made my way to the door.

Jin traveled back into the room I was in and swiftly made her way up to me, “What exactly are you and Hakyeon doing tonight?”

I froze in my place as Jin wiggled her eyebrows and nuzzled into me, expecting for big news. “We are just holding our annual movie night.” I shrugged, brushing past Jin and into the front of the cafe.

“And that’s it?” Jin sang, stepping in front of my path, making me stop in my tracks again.

I placed my hands on Jin’s shoulders and slowly spoke, “Jin, we watch a movie, drink a bit and crash at his place, or mine, it depends. That’s it.”

Jin’s once eager shoulders slumped under the pressure of my hands. My arms were swatted away by Jin, who was clearly unimpressed. Hakyeon glanced up from making coffee and offered me a confused look. I held my hand up and shook my head.

 

A trickle of sweat dripped from my forehead. Instinctively I wiped away the pest and continued on with my vigourous cleaning. The stuff I do for this night. Suddenly, the sound of thunder clashing on my front door erupted. My head snapped up from sweeping the living room and to the noise.

“Jihee! Let me in! You usually leave the door open, why didn’t you this time?” The annoyed tone lectured.

I placed the broom back in its’ designated spot and rolled my eyes, making my way up to the door. “What’s the password?” I teased while peering into the peep hole. Hakyeon was already in his pajamas holding a pillow and blanket.

“Jihee,” Hakyeon’s whining continued, “please. I don’t like standing out here alone.” After enough complaining and banging against the door, Hakyeon sat up against it in defeat. I smirked as I slyly opened the door, causing an angry Hakyeon to fall backward. Realizing what had just happened, Hakyeon stood up quickly and huffed, “Took you long enough.”

“It was only two minutes, Hakyeon.” I rolled my eyes while Hakyeon himself on my couch. “And you live right next door, why did you say you were scared to stand in our hallway?”

Hakyeon stretched out on the couch and smiled, “I just missed this beautiful thing.” Hakyeon the white leather, causing me to be creeped out and leave the living room. “Jihee, can you get me water?”

“Get it yourself,” I snapped, while already pouring his drink. “I’m not your maid.”

Hakyeon dragged himself into my kitchen and groaned, “I don’t like moving from your couch. How did you afford it? It’s always so nice and warming when I see it.”

I handed the glass to the now happy Hakyeon, “You know how.” Hakyeon excitedly drank the water, eventually handing it back to me for more. I reluctantly obeyed Hakyeon, who was traveling back to the living room.

“Did our Jihee pick a good movie for tonight?” Hakyeon sang, while flickering through the channels. “Our did she forget?” Hakyeon paused and turned around to see me standing with the booze we had been waiting for.

“I didn’t pick a movie, but we could just drink and eat, then watch the movie. I already ordered the chicken.” I placed down two beer cans on my glass coffee table. The click of the beer can opening gave me satisfaction, knowing within seconds I would be calmed. Preparing for this night had always stressed me out, which is why Hakyeon and I would switch whose apartment it would be at.

Taking a sip from the can and leaning back into the couch allowed me to fully observe my apartment. My apartment was abnormally large for someone who lived alone; it contained three bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and two bathrooms. Every wall was either a cream color or grey-blue, and was accompanied with handcrafted paintings and achievements in my music major career. The living room was well organized with multiple shelves full of CDs, records and VCR tapes. Although I had just a white leather couch, a glass table, shelves and a flat screen, you could tell someone who loved music lived here. My living room also offered enough space for Hakyeon and I to move my furniture to dance. Hakyeon went to a college for dance, which gave him a full ride to attend. Hakyeon’s academics were never the best, although he truly did try; Hakyeon’s only speciality in the high school he went to, was dance. It had always been dance. Dance had been there for him when I wasn’t, which saddened me because it was often.

“Jihee, are you okay? Your abnormally quiet,” Hakyeon silently finished his beer. Hakyeon always knew when something was on my mind.

A small smile was glued on my face, “I’m fine, Hakyeon, go find a movie for us.” I pushed Hakyeon off my couch and toward my shelves.

Hakyeon frowned as he looked through my multiple movies. “Jihee, you can’t lie to me forever, and you know that.”

“In time my dear, in time,” I repeated as I finished off my drink. The doorbell to my apartment sounded gracefully throughout my apartment. “I got it!” I jumped up from the couch, placing down the can and grabbing for my wallet. The door swung open and out stood the chicken delivery man. “Thank you,” I said, handing the money and tip to the man. Closing the door, I happily returned back to Hakyeon, who had chosen a movie. “Chicken!” I sang, putting it down on the coffee table.

“I will get the plates and more beer,” Hakyeon hurriedly left for the kitchen. When there was chicken, there was a Hakyeon. Plates were propped right in front of me, as I took two more beers for us. “So, I chose a comedy for us, is that okay? Does our Jihee want to laugh today?”

I pouted as Hakyeon sat next to me, “Hakyeon, you know I always enjoy a good laugh once a month,” I played along. Hakyeon and I chuckled at our terrible joke, but quickly started the movie.

 

Within a few hours into our annual movie night, Hakyeon and I were wasted. The movie was just a background noise for us, as we had talked through the entire movie catching up. It always amazed me how much I talked when I was with Hakyeon.

“Jihee,” Hakyeon slurred. “Why were you upset earlier?” Hakyeon allowed his body to fall back on the make-shift bed we prepared on the floor.

I was hesitant with my answer, but I knew Hakyeon would eventually find out. “I was thinking about how I am never there for you,” I responded truthfully, leaning backwards onto the bed next to Hakyeon.

Hakyeon hiccuped and took my face in his hands, squishing my face, “Jihee, my Jihee, you are always there for me, don’t worry.” Hakyeon roughed up my hair and giggled. “You’re always there for me,” Hakyeon repeated, swinging his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into him. Hakyeon’s body heat was moderate and his heartbeat remained even as we lay. “Always.”

 

            I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter of this fanfic! I will try to update as often as I can, but this chapter literally took me three days to write and was exactly five pages on Google Docs, so it takes a bit. If you liked something or want to offer me a tip, comment below and I will read it. Please look forward to more Roasted Beans!
- B