Goodbye, my love

A new stage of life

The engines of the plane roared to life as it started to accelerate down the wet runway. Although the rain was a no more than a mere drizzle, it had been unrelenting throughout the whole day. The accompanying grey clouds filled the skies, refusing to give way to the evening sun. Mina watched as the plane took to the skies and disappeared among the clouds. She glanced down at her wristwatch.

Time is running out; I have to leave soon. Why isn't she here yet?

She checked her phone, hoping to see a text or missed call, but there was none. Her doubts were beginning to resurface and she gripped her iced Americano harder than she had intended to. The flimsy plastic cup caved inwards beneath her shaking fingers.

How did things become like this? We used to be so close but now…

Tears welled up in her eyes as recollections of the time they spent with each other flashed through her mind. Mina desperately longed to see her best friend one last time, to hug and kiss her, to bury her face in her hair. Her best friend, who was also the love of her life.

She squeezed her eyes shut, but not before a solitary tear escaped and rolled down her cheek. Mina hurriedly wiped it away and dried her eyes with one of her sleeves.  No way was she going to be seen crying in public again.

‘All passengers on flight number KA93810, kindly make your way to gate 77 for boarding.’

It was the announcement she had been dreading to hear. And it was time for her to face the inevitable. With a sigh of resignation, Mina got up from the bench which she had been sitting on for the past two hours and trudged over to the departure gates. She turned her head and took one last look at the entrance of the airport, searching for any sign of the girl who had promised to come and see her off.

Nothing.

As the realization started to sink in, Mina’s eyes brimmed with tears once again and she fought to hold them back.

She broke her promise. She said she would be here. She lied.

A part of her saw this coming but Mina chose to ignore it, telling herself that she was thinking too much. Now that it really happened, the pain she felt was a hundred times worse than she ever imagined. It felt as though someone stabbed her with a knife and twisted the blade sharply.

She stumbled past the passport-scanning counter, everything a blur now. Looking around her, she had no idea where to go and stood rooted to the spot, her mind a confused mess. Suddenly, someone grabbed her arm from behind, causing Mina to jump in fright.

‘Oh, sorry if I scared you! Are you all right? We’re supposed to be headed this way,’ said the girl who then tugged Mina’s arm in the other direction. Mina shot a nervous glance at the pretty girl and forced a smile, trying to get her brain and mouth working.

Oh, this girl. She’s from the overseas exchange programme too… one of my new classmates. What was her name again? Yumi? Yuki? No wait that not it… crap I think I forgot her name-

‘My name’s Yuna! Have you forgotten me? And you must be Mina, right?’

‘No I didn’t forget your name! I… just couldn’t remember,’ Mina blurted, blushing slightly. She took an immediate liking to Yuna’s soft, clear voice and her feminine aura. ‘Oh wait, I remember now! We’re going to be roommates!’

Yuna grinned. ‘Yes but we won’t be if we don’t hurry up!’ she replied and broke into a brisk walk, not letting go of Mina.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They boarded their plane on time, though they were the last to reach. As the plane took off, Mina watched as the landscape grew smaller and smaller. The pain she felt settled into a dull ache in her chest.

Goodbye, my love.