final.

Jungkook's Day at Work

Meet Jeon Jungkook. Average guy with an average job, working the typical office hours to make a living for himself. Now, Jungkook’s a pretty cheerful guy. He likes getting out there and discovering new things and new people. He adapts to situations quickly and always has something new in his head. Jungkook’s laid back and likes going with things as they come to him since he’s so quick on his feet, but today was a bit different.

Jungkook was running around his office, throwing papers everywhere. He was very stressed since today was the day that he finally got to present his idea for a new app to the higher ups. After years and years of slaving after some autocratic idiot who didn’t know what he was doing, Jungkook finally had the opportunity to prove himself and get a promotion.

To lead to his own team.

To have his own ideas get out there and into the world.

There was only one problem. Just a small one, really. Nothing too big or anything.

He couldn't find the plans.

He had made a copy so that the board of directors could look over it before he fully explained it, but his original plans were MIA.

Jungkook had searched throughout the entire building, trying to find those few sheets of paper that would result in perhaps the most important choice in his life.

He did not go through four years of computer science and two years of business and marketing for it all to be ruined by some missing papers. There was no way he was going to let his boss be the boss of him for the rest of his life. He was not going to let that bachelor’s degree go to waste, even if it was the last thing he did.

He worked way too hard to get it.

One of his coworkers, Taehyung, had come over to try and see if he was alright, but Jungkook had, perhaps regrettably, scared him away with his wild appearance. He stared at the manila folder that he dropped when he ran away, and he all but crawled over to it, opening it carefully.

There they were.

His beautiful, precious plans.

He didn’t care if they were the real thing or a copy, they were his wonderful plans.

Now why in the world would Taehyung have them in the first place?

Jungkook shook his head, forgetting about it for the time being. He had more important things to be attending to, like the meeting that he was supposed to be in right now.

Yep, just like that meeting.

Jungkook swore, picking up his scattered papers and running towards the small room where the meeting was currently taking place. The board of directors, including the CEO of the company and some other people he didn’t recognize, were sitting there, waiting for him with displeased expressions.

One of the women sitting in the room cleared , motioning for him to have a seat. Jungkook nodded quickly, rushing forward and sitting stiffly.

“So, Mr. Jeon, I hear that you have a proposal for a new app?”

Jungkook started nodding before he realized his mistake and took a deep breath, speaking calmly.

“Yes, I do.”

He didn’t want to mess this up; he really didn’t. The company that he worked for, Naver, was a small one, but it was a tightly knit one. They were focused and determined, doing whatever they could to bring their clients together.

Naver used all sorts of platforms, from mobile to desktop and everything in between. The ideas and apps that the company developed let people everywhere connect for free. They brought entertainment, information, sense. They helped people organize their lives.

Taehyung, the frazzled boy we mentioned earlier, was responsible for the development of one of their most popular apps, Line Webtoon. He came up with the idea for a comic sharing platform for both budding and experienced artists to show their works to the public.

Frankly, the company loved the idea.

They went with it at once, and now Webtoon was more popular than any of them could have ever anticipated. Comics from creators all over the world were being made, fans personally translating them to share with all others.

Taehyung had received so much praise for the idea, and now he led his own team of designers and developers. He may seem like a timid man, but once you get to know him, he is confident in every word he says, and he strongly believes in what he does.

Jungkook wanted that. He wanted it from every fibre in his body, down to the thinnest strand of brown hair sitting on his head.

The CEO gave him the ‘go ahead’, and Jungkook ran a hand down his shirt before standing.

“Today, I would like to tell you about my new app, Naver Banking.”

The board of directors all raised an eyebrow, wondering just what this could be about. Only one of them smiled, opening his mouth to speak.

“Mr. Jeon, I’m not sure if you realize this, but we already have an app dealing with money and banking for our clients.”

Jungkook blushed, embarrassed, but quickly recovered.

“I am well aware of this. However, I thought that I could refine it and turn it into something new. You see, with how Moneybook works right now, it simply tracks what the customer does. You have your card connected to it, and it shows you what you purchased. Wonderful, but what if we took it one step further?”

This caught everyone’s attention, the same man motioning for Jungkook to continue.

“I thought that we could find a way to optimize their choices for them. We could monitor what the customer’s purchasing habits are and build a plan for them based off of that. We could use the new app to help them track down what they’ve used their money for and then show them how to use it even better, help them set goals for themselves. Even further, we could make it so that they can do all their banking right from their device. It doesn’t matter what bank it is; they can access it just as easily.”

He bit his bottom lip, anxious as to what their reactions would be. Jungkook had been sweating about this project for months. How would he make it available to everyone? Where would they release it? When would it all happen?

None of it really mattered, though. It all boiled down to one single question, will they like it?

There was hushed talk amongst the people for a moment before they broke apart.

“Mr. Jeon, who is this for?”

Jungkook paused for a second, jumping right back into it.

“Well, I thought that this would be marketed towards the people who are around my age. Those in their early twenties all the way to those getting into their late forties. It’s meant to be for the more technologically advanced, after all. I want people who have a stable income, who need just a bit of help organizing their lives to find this of some use. I don’t want them to install the app and immediately uninstall it a few days later because it doesn’t work. I want this app to be able to help them sort themselves out and just be useful in general.”

A few people nodded along to what he was saying, ticking random things off of a random checklist that Jungkook thought they must have come up with only seconds before the meeting began.

“Alright, Mr. Jeon, just a few more questions and then we’ll make a decision. Where do you intend to launch this app? That is if it is cleared.”

“Well, for starters, I was thinking that we could release it in South Korea before spreading it elsewhere. If people here find it useful, then what’s to say other people won’t? If this app is successful in South Korea, then I say we spread it further through Asia. Then, we go big. We let people all over the world use it. We find people to translate the app for us; we talk to foreign banks to get their consensus to use their client’s accounts, all the works.”

He threw his hands into the air, elation clear on his face. Then, he remembered where he was and slowly brought his hands down, not forgetting to run one through his hair.

“But first, we start small. We start local, see how they feel about it. If it doesn’t work out, then we’ll go back and review it. We’ll change it so they like it. If it does work out, well, we’ll still change it to make it even better. There’s always room for improvement.”

This time, a few more people nodded, clicking their pens and ticking more things off of their checklists. Jungkook wanted to snap those little clipboards with those flimsy checklists in half.

“Alright, but, Mr. Jeon, how would you even begin to promote your application? How would you let the people know?”

Jungkook stuck his hands out in front of him, asking them to prepare themselves for the amazing news he was about to bestow upon them.

“So, here’s what I was thinking. I thought that we could use Line, get Cony and Brown to do a little ad together that opens automatically when users get into the app. Oh, also, I thought that perhaps I could get some sort of celebrity endorsement, maybe EXO, to use the app? We could film some of them using the app to help organize their shopping, maybe get Kyungsoo to say a few lines since he’s the one responsible for all their cooking. Maybe Joonmyeon too, since he's the leader.”

A small woman in the corner scrunched her face together before stretching her hand out to speak.

“How would you convince them to advertise the app? They have busy schedules, Mr. Jeon. They won’t just give up everything to film some commercial for you. Will you pay them? Will we advertise for them in return? Where will you get the money for all this?”

Jungkook was biting his bottom lip again, not liking how interrogative her tone was.

“Well, I actually thought that we could ask EXO to advertise after more people know about it; after the app is bringing in some revenue-”

“-and how, exactly, is the app going to be making money? I do assume that the application is going to be free, yes? How will you be pulling in any profit?”

Jungkook really didn’t like this woman. However, he steeled himself and answered with confidence, just like a real businessman should.

“Well, you see, I was hoping that I could advertise primarily on Line to pull in customers, as I said before. They will then pay a set fine for every time they go over their goal for the month. There will also be other methods of revenue, but for the time being, I haven’t figured them all out. I’m sure that there will not be any profit loss, though, and we still have the profits from our other projects, do we not?”

The woman pursed her lips and looked away from Jungkook, but a few other people saw his point.

“Mr. Jeon, how will you get the banks to agree to your proposal? Most of them already have their own banking apps. They have no additional need for your application.”

Jungkook got a wild look in his eyes, pointing his fingers at the man who had quietly spoken up.

“You see, I am prepared to offer them 3% of all profits-”

“-3%?!

“-so that they will agree. We will not be taking away from their app installations since not everyone who has a bank account will download my app. Only people who are associated with Naver, maybe even less, will know about the app. The banks get to keep their own clients and we get to keep our own.”

A few people opened their mouths at this when Jungkook suddenly started speaking again.

“Oh, I just thought of a way to earn money.  We could provide banking to larger businesses and give them monthly updates on their transactions and spending patterns. We can give them financial statements and suggest how to organize the company better to get the most profit. All these services would cost them a fixed annual fee, and they are free to discontinue services with us at the end of each year.”

“Mr. Jeon, I have to say, you are absolutely crazy.”

Jungkook’s breath caught in his throat, and he did his best to stay calm and composed. However, the man was not done speaking.

“However, I have to say; I like it.”

Soon, a chorus of people started speaking up, each and every one of them approving of Jungkook’s notion. A smile broke out on his face, and he swore that he could feel tears springing to his eyes.

 “Oh my- thank you, everyone. This is- wow, thank you!”

Before he could leave the room, he was called back for a bit more questioning.

“Wait, Jung- Mr. Jeon!”

Jungkook stopped right outside the room and slowly backtracked, standing in front of all the employees.

“Yes.”

There was murmured speech amongst the directors before the man sitting in the middle cleared his throat and spoke up.

“Mr. Jeon, before you head out, we need to clear a few more things up.”

Jungkook nodded a few more times. He was more than just happy. He was over the moon with joy. He could not believe that his idea had actually gotten approved, and he could not be more thankful for this opportunity. He promised to himself that he would try his hardest and make sure that everything ran smoothly.

“Alright, Mr. Jeon, we need to know what employees you need to be assigned to you to keep this project moving. We want this app to be out there by the end of the year, understood? That’s just under six months.”

The tall brunet man let out a sigh, a million thoughts running through his head at once.

“Let’s see, about three designers, three coders, two people from accounting, a few people to test the user interface afterward and some for quality assurance. Oh, also, could I perhaps get Taehyung to help me manage the team? He clearly already has some experience doing this, and I feel like I would like him to be there so that I could wrap my head around this entire thing a bit easier. He’s a very dedicated worker, and I’d be more than happy to share some of the credit with him.”

Jungkook was chewing the inside of his cheek as he watched the board of directors talk amongst themselves for a while.

“Actually, Mr. Jeon, we had already decided to have Mr. Kim work on the project with you. I thought he had gone to speak to you about it earlier? I hope you will be able to work well with him. His style is more free and loose, more like a laissez-faire type of person, you know? So I hope things will work between you. I feel like you two would be able to work well together to bring this idea to fruition.”

“Oh. Awesome. Yeah. Okay, sure, I’m good with that. I mean- thank you. Yes, thank you. I am very thankful for this opportunity.”

Most people dismissed this odd behaviour, but there was one woman who looked at him with a chuckle on her face.

Jungkook blushed red and pretended to iron out his tie so that there were no creases in it.

“Mr. Jeon, you are free to go. Thank you.”

He bowed once before leaving the room, letting out a large sigh and fanning his face to lessen the red hue.

He had a busy next few months in front of him.


“Jungkook, hey, how’d it go?”

Jungkook turned around and was met face to face with Taehyung. He seemed to be much more organized than he had been earlier, and now it was Jungkook’s turn to be frazzled.

“Hey, Taehyung. Yeah, things are pretty good so far. Umm, I heard that you’re going to be working with me on this? Great, that’s wonderful, actually. Yeah. Cool. Umm, want to go plan some things out? Maybe grab a coffee and lay out some ideas. Or we could not, I mean, it’s totally okay.”

Taehyung looked at him with amusement evident in his eyes.

“I mean, I don’t really like coffee, but we could definitely go. I’ll just grab a cup of hot chocolate instead.”

Jungkook sighed, relieved, and they quickly got into his car to head to the coffee shop down the road. He had brought some paper and pens with him for them to write any and all their ideas with him, but was quickly embarrassed and shoved everything into a small briefcase when Taehyung started bringing out a tablet and a stylus.

He hadn’t seemed to notice, and they quickly got to work (but not before they ordered a black coffee and a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream).

“Alright, so Jungkook, before we even start to do any actual planning for this app, we need to figure some things out. First thing’s first, who are you making this app available to? Where will people be able to access it from? Is it for Apple, Android, Windows Mobile, or on desktop?”

“Well, considering the fact that all of our other apps are available on most platforms, a few making their way into Windows Mobile, I was thinking that we could stick to iOS and Android, with a separate web page for desktop access. That’s what’s happening with Webtoon, right? So how about we stick to that?”

Taehyung nodded a few times and quickly scribbled that down while Jungkook stirred his coffee lethargically. He started thinking to himself, ignoring whatever Taehyung was doing.

Okay, how do I catch people’s interests? What do I need to let them know?

He started drumming his fingers against the table, thoughts consuming him.

Advertisements. What do I tell the people in the advertisements? Let them know where to find the app, what the app does, how it can help them. Show them who can use it and how to use it. Good start, good start.

Taehyung stared as Jungkook glared at the ground. He wasn’t quite sure what he was doing but decided to let it go.

We also need to make sure to have good technology so that this project doesn’t break up. That’s the problem with the internet and technology these days. If the internet goes down, then our app will be useless until we can get it back up. Technology is fast, but it’s unreliable.

He nodded to himself and started writing those things down, completely forgetting about the fact that he was supposed to be talking about all of this with Taehyung.

“Jungkook?”

The man was shaken out of his thoughts, and he embarrassedly looked up to see Taehyung staring at him with concern etched into his face. In his perspective, the brunet had just been nodding and shaking his head, murmuring to himself every now and then.

In all honesty, he kind of looked crazy.

He cleared his throat and looked down at his notes, tapping his pen against the table.

“So, about the app.”

“Yeah.”

Neither of them said anything for a minute, but Taehyung opened his mouth and began speaking.

“Alright, so what do we need to make this work? We have lots of technology in the office, plenty of options to choose from, but what do you need for this project? We’ll need at least one of each different platform to see how the app performs on there, but before that, how will we get the app running?”

“Well, we’ll need some computers to write out the actual coding, not to mention the drawing tablets for designing if we want the app to look smooth. Everything else I can find online, so the computers are probably the most important part. We want to make sure that we get one that is fast so that we can make sure the app is running quickly.”

Taehyung nodded, and the two continued to talk amongst themselves about the project for a while more, their coffee (and hot chocolate) forgotten on the side of the petite table.


“Jungkook! Jungkook, come here! I need to talk to you.”

The brunet man stopped in his tracks as he turned to see a small man running towards him. The boy was on his design team, responsible for dealing with public relations.

“Oh, yes, hello Jimin. What’s the problem?”

Jimin paused for a moment, out of breath. He clutched his chest for a moment before he shot back up.

“Okay. So, you see this?”

He held up a clipboard with the word bank on it. Jungkook just stared at it for a second, looking at the clipboard and then back at Jimin.

“…Yes, I do see it. What am I supposed to do with this?”

Jimin pursed his lips as if Jungkook was stupid for not understanding.

“Well, you see, since we’re making this new app, that means we're taking away the business from these banks, right? Their apps are free and people could probably be able to use them better and easier than our app-”

“-okay, but Jimin, you have to remember that we are not their bank. We are an area for them to be able to easily access their account and work from there. We are not here to take from the banks’ business nor are we here to stop them from keeping their clients. Both apps are free, and yes, for that one specific bank, their own app may work better, but when people have multiple accounts, ours is remarkably simpler to use since all their accounts and information are in one location. Do you understand now?”

Jimin slowly nodded his head and wrote some of those things down before he turned and went back to wherever he had come from.


“Jungkook! Wait for me!”

The man stopped dead in his tracks once again, letting out a sigh as he turned back and faced presumably Jimin who was stopping him for the third time this week.

Yes, Jimin, what is it that you need this time?”

Jimin could see the irritation clear on the older’s face and he tried to look at least a bit shameful. Almost immediately, though, he started stammering.

“You see, I’ve been seeing a lot of posts on social media about people getting interested in the idea. They want to know how they can contribute or help out or invest or what they can do to help-”

“Jimin.”

The man straightened up and looked Jungkook in the eye.

“Yes.”

“Just tell everyone that they can make donations to the company over our PayPal so that we have more funding for this project. The company only gave so much, so the more money we can get, the better. We’ll give them some sort of thanks when the project launches.”

The nervous man nodded frantically, not even mentioning a thanks as he walked away from Jungkook once more.

The tall brunet shook his head, a smile evident on his face as he got back to his own work.


“Jung-”

“Yes, Jimin. What do you need?”

For some reason, Jimin seemed to be surprised that the fact that Jungkook knew that it was him who was calling for him, but shook the thought away.

“Umm, hey Jungkook, I know this question is kind of stupid and all-”

“No question is stupid-”

“Okay, a lot of questions are stupid, actually, but I was wondering, where exactly are we making this app? It’s not really a tangible thing for us to physically produce, do you know what I mean? So where are we, well, producing it?”

Jungkook smiled a bit, placing a hand on Jimin’s shoulder.

“Jimin, my young worker, we’ll be making this in our heads. Our imaginations are a wondrous thing, and you never know where they will take you.”

Jimin seemed to legitimately accept this answer, turning to leave when Jungkook slammed his hand down onto the shorter man’s other shoulder.

“No. That wasn’t a serious answer, Jimin. Since this is an app, we’ll be designing it on the drawing tablets as a basis for how we want it to look, and then we’ll have the coders take that and develop it from there. You’re right, there is no real ‘production’, but that doesn't mean that nothing is produced at the end. We will have a smooth, flowing app that allows people quick and easy access to their bank accounts, and that will all happen with the great minds of our design team.”

You get the gist. Jimin nodded again and left.

Yeah.


The team was days away from launching the project, and they were putting the final touches on the app to make it just the slightest bit better. Everyone was exhausted, tired smiles and weak high fives visible throughout the entire room.

Jungkook was sat at his desk, typing away at some final lines of coding with Taehyung looking over his shoulder to monitor what he was doing. Both their eyes trailed the alphanumeric digits on the screen before Jungkook finalized it all by hitting the Enter key.

Taehyung’s shoulders drooped and Jungkook threw his head back in satisfaction. They looked at each other and smiled; the app was finally complete.

Neither of them said anything for a minute, but Taehyung quickly opened his mouth.

“Hey, Jungkook?”

“Yeah?”

He wrapped his arms around the brunet's neck and lightly pressed a kiss to his cheek before speaking.

“Good job.”

Then he walked away, leaving a very happy, very red Jungkook blushing at his desk with his new, finished app glowing on the screen.


a/n: lmao

hope you liked it

if you see taehyung referred to as 'her' anywhere in the story, please let me know

also if you see the names christopher longwood, sasha rivera or steven lemme know too

kinda beta-ed i guess