Final

Artificial Love

 

 

 

 

“Omo omo look, Kai is practicing!!” A girl with short hair nudges her friend when they walk past the dance studio causing her friend to stop walking abruptly. Two of them squeals in joy, paying zero attention to the guy who just walk past them with a disapproving look on his face and a soft mumble of “girls...” The person in the dance studio is too focus matching his movements to the beat to notice the two ‘fangirls’ standing outside and staring him with hungry eyes. He collapses to the wooden floor after the music ends, panting heavily and trying to catch his breath. A thin layer of sweat can be seen through the layer of white fabric he’s wearing and the ‘fangirls’ outside squeals again, causing him to look towards the direction. A slight frown appears on his flawless features when he caught sight of the girls but he pays no mind to them afterwards as he’s used to this. After his breathing is back to normal, he stands up to gather his things and decides to leave the studio and calls it a day. The girls offer him a smile when he walks out and he returns them a smile, a tiny one but the girls saw it anyways and melted into a puddle right away. He then walks past them down the hallway with his duffel bag on his shoulder and a towel hanging around his neck. 

 

 


Kai is considered as one of the popular students in his university or so the others said and he even has a title called ‘the guy most of the girls want to date’ but Kai himself doesn’t cares about himself being popular or not, he just want to graduate with flying colors and have a happy and peaceful life. He is aware that he has a lot of admirers, both boys and girls adore him and even the lecturers like him despite of his cool attitude. Well, lecturers will like the students if they’re smart and hardworking right? Plus, Kim Kai is handsome and cool, so who wouldn’t like him? Besides Kai, the other guy who’s popular in their school is Park Chanyeol, the tall and charming music majored student who appears to be Kai’s best friend. Needless to say, the duo had almost half of the students in the school gone crazy for them. Although Kai is the cool and composed one and Chanyeol is the totally opposite of him but they became best friend and now they’re the perfect duo in everyone’s eyes. 

 

 


Kai is walking past the labs in the science building when he heard a loud ‘bang’ followed by an ‘oww’ coming out from one of the lab he just passed by. He stops abruptly and turns around, a few whimpers can be heard and he doesn’t hesitate to walk into the lab to check out what happened. At first, Kai didn’t saw any living beings in the spacious lab but then he heard a hiss coming from one of the tables beside him. He crouches down trying to search for the source of the voice and then suddenly a guy with a baby blue oversized sweater appears underneath the table and Kai almost scream in shock, almost. The guy in blue sweater literally jumps and the top of his head hits the table. A loud “oww!” followed by a soft whimper came out and Kai can only stare at the guy. He really pities him because he knows this is the second time the guy hits his head and from how the guy’s eyes brim with tears, he knows it’s painful. The guy rubs his head with his palm and looks at Kai with questionable eyes as if asking what is he doing here. Kai doesn’t know what to say so he remains silent but the guy in front of him keeps staring at him with tear-filled eyes so he decided to ask if he’s okay. “A-Are you okay? Do you need help or anything?” The guy looks surprised for a moment but he shakes his head after that. “I’m okay, everything is okay.” He smiles widely and stands up, patting the dust on his pants. Kai nods briefly, decides to leave and heads back home to have his afternoon nap. Just when Kai is about to step out of the room, the guy calls him. “W-Wait!” He turns around with arch brows, thinking maybe the other wants to thank him. The guy walks a little closer to Kai and only then he realizes the other is blushing. “Yes?” Kai asks, staring intensely at the guy who’s playing with the hem of his sweater now. “Uhm...you’re friend of Park Chanyeol right?” The guy asks hesitantly and looks up with his cheeks painted in pink. “Uh yeah.” Kai nods slowly, waiting for the other to continue. “D-Does he has a girlfriend or a boyfriend now?” Kai totally isn’t expecting that but he doesn’t care if the guy knows because who knows maybe this guys is Chanyeol’s type? “No, he doesn’t.” Kai replies, finding how the other’s face lit up immediately amusing. “Okay, thanks!” The guy says happily and Kai is even amuse because the guy was crying a few minutes ago but he’s grinning so happily now. Kai only nods slightly when the guy bids him goodbye and turns around to walk out of the lab leaving the guy smiling stupidly to himself.

 

 


Kai’s thinks that his first three period passes rather slow today, maybe because Chanyeol is absent and isn’t there to annoy and entertain him. Normally, the taller will crack a few jokes on the topic the lecturer was saying or maybe annoys Kai using his pencil, mainly poking Kai’s arm with it non stop until Kai sends him a death glare and slaps him hand away. Kai heaves a sigh as it’s finally his break time and he doesn’t have class after an hour. So, he decided to take a quick lunch at the university’s cafe and goes to the library to finish the book he found it interesting last week. Kai is eating his pasta with his other friend Suho when he feels a tap on his shoulder. He turns around only to meet with a hoodie with a derpy face on it which has the word ohbey written it. Cool shirt. Kai thinks and looks up at the person but the person is never a word close to cool because the said person is grinning sheepishly at Kai with flushing cheeks. Kai blinks, had he met this person before? Wait...he’s the guy in the lab yesterday... “Uhm...is there anything I can help you with?” Kai asks as polite as he can be but still without any expression on his face. “Do you know where is Chanyeol?” The guy asks and blinks innocently. “He’s absent today.” Kai being as straightforward as usual he is, replies immediately without any more words. The guy’s seems disappointed for a moment with his eyes downcast but he nods afterwards, showing a small smile. 

 

 


Kai isn’t sure why the disappointed look on the guy had his heart squeezing for a brief moment but he can’t do anything since his best friend isn’t here either so he decided to shrug it off. “Yixing, let’s go.” Kai didn’t notice there’s a guy talking to Suho until the other calls him. Kai recognizes the other as he’s one of the member in his dance class and Kai knows how good the other can dance but he sure didn’t know that Yixing knows Suho, they even look close. After Yixing and the guy left, Kai asked Suho about Yixing and Suho told him that Yixing is his mum’s best friend’s son and they’ve known each other in high school. From the look in Suho’s eyes when he talked about Yixing, Kai concluded that his friend has feelings for the dancer. 

 

 


Kai walks to the library after saying goodbye to Suho, planning to stay in the library until his next class. After taking the book he wants to read from one of the shelves, he sits down at the seat far back of the library, liking where it’s more quiet and less people, he can’t deal with some people whispering here and there while he’s trying to focus. Kai’s on the fifth page of the book when he heard some shuffling and some grunts behind him. He places down the book on his lap and looks behind, finding the scene quite funny. Apparently, a guy with one armful of books is trying to flip open a book he just took from the shelf but the stack of books on his other hands are about to fall soon so he’s struggling on his own. Kai figures it’ll be a ruckus afterwards so he decides to help the student. “You look like you need some help.” Kai walks beside the guy and says, finding the guy oddly familiar. It’s him. 

 

 

 


Sehun sighs dramatically when he was told earlier that Chanyeol didn’t came to class today. Yixing who’s beside him pats his shoulder and gives him a don’t-be-sad-my-friend look. Sehun pouts but nods nonetheless. “You act like a lovesick school girl man.” Yixing teases and earns himself a death glare from Sehun. He chuckles and continues, “Hey, I gotta go, class starts in 5 minutes.” He then waves Sehun goodbye and leaves. 

 

 

And Sehun’s pout deepened. 

 

 


Sehun then remembers he still has an assignment to complete so he heads to the library. Sehun uses Google to search for the books he needed to find, and soon, his left hand is full of books and his right hand still holding his phone. Sehun checks his phone again, noticing there’s one more book he needs so he walks to the last row of the shelves to search for the book. Ah, it’s here! He then takes out the book and decides to flip it open to see if it’s the book he wanted but he seems to forget his right hand is still clutching his phone so he’s struggling to flip open the book. “Aish.” Sehun grunts when his phone drops so he crouches down to pick up his phone. He heaves a long sigh when he finally manage to pick up his precious phone. He then places his phone on top of the stack of books and decides to flip open the book he took previously. Sehun thinks the book hates him because no matter how, he cannot open the first page and the stack of books he’s holding is going to fall somehow. Just when he’s about to lose control and throw all the books on the floor, a voice pipes in. “You look like you need some help.” 

 

 


Kai definitely didn’t expect the guy to be Sehun. Sehun looks at Kai in awe but nods nonetheless because he really needs help right now. Kai let out a small chuckle and Sehun thinks he finally saw the former smiles because he never once saw Kai smiles (exclude the times he’s with Chanyeol, but Chanyeol makes everyone happy and that’s what Sehun thinks). “Thanks.” Sehun says with a bright smile making his eyes turns into beautiful crescents. “No problem at all.” Kai replies coolly as usual, he’s quite amused at the guy who he doesn’t even know his name yet they talked more than once in less than three days. Since the day he knew this guy, the latter kept appearing in front of him but Kai knew the other had a crush on his best friend. Well, Chanyeol held most of the hearts of the girls in their university so Kai wasn’t even surprised when he knew the guy likes Chanyeol. “What’s your name?” Kai asks suddenly startling Sehun. “S-Sehun. Oh Sehun.” Sehun introduces himself shyly. “You really like Chanyeol huh?” Kai being as straightforward he is, asked and it surprised Sehun again. Sehun is beyond flustered and his cheeks turn scarlet. Sehun looks at to see Kai looking at him intensely and he quickly avoided his gaze but he nods nonetheless. Kai chuckles at Sehun’s flustered face and it makes Sehun smiles slightly despite he’s caught red handed by Kai but seeing the other smiles makes him want to smile too. Kai should smile more. Sehun thinks but he doesn’t dare to say it out loud. He knows Kai is Chanyeol’s best friend because the duo is the most popular guys in the campus and he also knows that Kai is the cooler ones, he seldom smiles so it surprised him when he saw Kai smiled. When Kai looks at Sehun and the latter is staring at him without blinking, he quickly stops smiling as he realizes he smiled too much and coughs slightly to grab Sehun’s attention back. “Where should I carry these books to?” Kai asks, back to his expressionless face. “Uhm...let’s just find a seat so you can place them there.” Sehun smiles sheepishly and walks in front of Kai. 

 

 


Both of them ended up sitting beside each other. None of them talked to each other since they sat down, Kai was too occupied in the book he’s reading and Sehun is too busy typing on his laptop. The bell rings and Kai jolts up from his seat, he quickly packs his things and leave after saying goodbye to Sehun. 

 

 

 

It’s nearly 5 when Kai leaves the dance studio. He walks pass the science building as usual in order to reach the gate. Kai suddenly remembers his encounter with Sehun yesterday and he can’t help but look into the lab. His eyes widens when he sees there’s really someone inside and the person is sleeping on the table. Kai arches his brows and walks in, wondering who’s that. To say he’s surprise, he’s certainly not because the person who’s sleeping is Oh Sehun, the one and only. Kai looks at Sehun’s sleeping face and he can’t help but smiles. Sehun has his mouth open and he has his face on top of the paper, Kai guesses the other fell asleep while doing his assignment because he’s still holding his pen in his right hand. Cute. Wait, did I just said he’s cute, no I didn’t. Kai shakes off his thought and bends down, decides to wake Sehun up. “Sehun...wake up.” He shakes the other’s arm slightly but Sehun doesn’t even shows any reaction so he calls again. “Sehun...wake up, it’s time to go back.” This time, he makes sure to shake with more force. Sehun lets out a whine but still doesn’t wake. Kai sighs and calls again, louder this time. “Oh Sehun, wake up now.” This time, Sehun whines louder but his eyes finally flutters open and Kai felt relieved because if he’s still not going to wake up, he might strangle him and that wouldn’t be nice. Sehun jolts up from his seat when he realized Kai is standing so close to him and that action of him causing him to knock his knees to the table. He yelps in pain and hides in face on the table, too embarrassed to look up. Kai looks dumbfounded for a moment but he starts to laugh after that, finding Sehun extremely funny because of his clumsiness. Sehun looks up at Kai with his tomato red face, causing Kai to laugh harder and he is sure he has never laughed this hard before. Sehun’s flustered but totally amused by Kai’s laughter. Sehun looks at Kai and his beautiful eye smile, he’s totally mesmerized by that and his face became redder after he realized what he was thinking. “Stop laughing, it’s not funny!” Sehun wails, glaring at Kai who’s holding his stomach because of laughing too hard. Seeing Sehun getting mad and flustered made Kai laughs even harder until he crouches down because his stomach hurts. “Urgh! I’m going back!” Sehun groans and stomps out of the lab after packing his stuffs, leaving Kai flabbergasted. He then follows Sehun out and walks behind him without speaking a word but Sehun knows Kai is following him so he sends death glare to him every 20 seconds causing Kai to smirk. Both of them then heads to the opposite way back home after exiting the school gate. 

 

 

 

Kai went to class the next day and Chanyeol is still absent. The giant apparently had a fever, that’s what Chanyeol told him the previous night. Kai was eating with Suho at the cafe when Sehun approached him again, asking about where is Chanyeol. Kai guessed he had to deal with Sehun asking him Chanyeol’s whereabouts until his best friend appears. Kai clearly saw Sehun frowned and pouted when he knew Chanyeol was absent because of having fever, he can’t helped but teased the other and Sehun glared at Kai as if they’re enemies for ages. 

 

 


Kai found Sehun sleeping in the lab again after his dance practice. This time, Sehun is found sleeping on the chair with his head on the back of the chair and his face covered with a Chemistry book. Kai shakes his head and sighs, decided to wake up the sleeping boy. “Oh Sehun, wake up.” Kai calls beside his ear and sits down. To his surprise, Sehun jolts awake immediately knocking his knees again and his book that’s on his face falls to his stomach, making him yelps in pain. Kai watches the scene in front of him without blinking, sighing afterwards at Sehun’s clumsiness. This will be a long week. Sehun feels the stares that Kai is giving him and he smiles at the latter sheepishly, but Kai only sighs again and walks out of the lab. Sehun quickly gathers his stuffs and follows behind Kai. “Your hair is sticking out, do something to it.” Kai says while they walk out of the building, Sehun immediately blushes red in embarrassment. 

 

 

 

Chanyeol finally came to school the next day, the duo is on their way to the cafe when they see a guy walking towards them. The said guy is carrying a stack of books and from the way he dressed, Kai knows that the guy is definitely Oh Sehun. “Jongin, what’s wrong? Do you know the guy?” Chanyeol looks at the direction Kai’s looking and asks. “No!... Uhm...maybe.” Kai gulps, he isn’t sure telling Chanyeol he knows Sehun is a good idea or not. Chanyeol raises a brow and looks at Kai skeptically, Kai can only shrug and acts like nothing’s wrong. Sehun walks towards the duo and Kai can see Sehun’s face lights up when he noticed Chanyeol. Kai stares at Sehun who only has eyes for Chanyeol, wondering what Sehun is going to do. Sehun is all smile until he accidentally trips on his own foot and face plant the floor. It all happen too sudden and Kai can only stare at the figure groaning on the floor. This stupid. Kai sighs and walks towards Sehun before crouching down to gather all the books. “Yah, are you okay?” Kai asks Sehun who’s still kissing the floor because he’s too embarrassed to get up. “Noooo...” A groan can be heard followed by a small whimper. “Can you get up or do you need help?” Kai sighs and asks. “I-I guess I’m okay.” Sehun finally looks up and Kai is shocked because there’s blood dripping down his nose and his forehead is so red. “No, you’re not okay. Come, let’s get you to the nurse.” Kai helps Sehun up and carries the stack of book in one hand, another hand tugging Sehun’s arm and drags him towards the clinic. Chanyeol is left dumbfounded by his best friend who just disappeared a few minutes ago. What just happened? 

 

 


After Sehun’s nose got treated, both of them sat in silence with Kai staring at the floor and Sehun constantly peeking at Kai. “T-Thank you.” Sehun says timidly and looks away, a tinge of pink creeping up his face. “You’re so stupid.” Kai mutters, still looking at the floor and Sehun whips his head to look at Kai. “W-What?” Sehun has never been called stupid because hey, he’s a Chemical Engineering student with the highest grades among his class for God’s sake. “You’re so stupid.” Kai repeats as if Sehun didn’t heard him just now and Sehun frowns. “I’m not okay!” He protests and pouts, eyes starring daggers into Kai. The latter scoffs and turns around to face Sehun, fingers pointing out to his injured nose. “Then tell me what’s this called?” Sehun goes speechless but frown deepens. “That was an accident...” he mumbles after a while and Kai chuckles at Sehun’s cuteness. Wait, did I just thought he’s cute? After realizing that, Kai stops smiling and goes back to his usual stoic face. “Whatever.” He says quietly and stands up. “I have to leave, I’m hungry.” With that, Kai leaves without waiting for Sehun to reply. 

 

 


Sehun’s stomach is growling when he wakes up from his short nap at the clinic and luckily no one is in there if not he’ll be embarrassing as hell. Just as he’s about to get up and go get some food, the door opens. C-Chanyeol? Sehun’s eyes widens in shock, this is unbelievable! His crush, Park Chanyeol is standing in front of him with a charming yet shy smile and god, Sehun has breathing problem now. “You’re Sehun right?” Chanyeol asks as he scratches his nape awkwardly. “Y-Yes.” Sehun stutters but eyes never leave Chanyeol, he’s basically openly staring at Chanyeol. Chanyeol then walks closer to Sehun and hands him a paper bag. “This is for you. You must be hungry.” Sehun looks at the paper bag and nods sheepishly. He is beyond happy now, his crush aka Park Chanyeol just bought him food. I’m the luckiest person on earth! Sehun feels like he’s in heaven now, he couldn’t be more happier. “Kai called me to send you this, he had to rush to class.” Sehun immediately falls from heaven after hearing what Chanyeol said. “W-What? Kai?” Sehun eyes grows bigger than he first saw Chanyeol just now. “Ya. He didn’t know what you like to eat so he bought what he likes. I have to go now, bye Sehun, recover soon!” Chanyeol flashes him his bright smile and leaves without waiting for Sehun to say thanks. 

 

 


Sehun stares into the space for a while after Chanyeol leaves, all he can think about is Kai. He doesn’t know why his heart feels a little weird after knowing Kai had bought him food despite he’ll be late for class. A warm feeling flows through Sehun’s heart as he opens the paper bag. So Kai likes these... Inside the paper bag, there are two bagels and a cup of hot chocolate and Sehun can’t thank Kai more because he likes bagel too and he love hot chocolate. Taking a sip of the hot chocolate, another warm feeling flows through his heart and he doesn’t even realize he’s smiling like an idiot. Suddenly, Chanyeol smiling to him doesn’t seems important anymore because Kai’s warm smile is what matters to him now. 

 

 


Sehun wants to see that beautiful smile again. 

 

 


He doesn’t know why but he wants to make Kai smiles more. 

 

 


Even after that Kai will call him stupid but it doesn’t matter.

 

 

 

The following passed by with Kai found Sehun sleeping either in the lab or the library after class everyday. Sehun fell asleep so often that Kai started to wonder what did the younger did that made him so tired. He can’t be studying the whole night right? Besides seeing a sleepy Sehun everyday, Kai had witnessed Sehun tripped on his own shoelace, walked in the doors face-first, poked himself in the face with a bubble tea straw and he even spotted few bruises and cuts on his body parts which are visible. The worries for Sehun are endless since the latter is super clumsy and the clumsiness of Sehun droves him crazy. Kai was worried sick when he found a new form bruise on Sehun’s arm when the younger was sleeping in the lab just now. After he woke Sehun up, he grabbed his arm immediately and took a clearer look at the bruise. “Sehun, what is this? What happened? Did someone bullied you?” Kai asked worriedly with furrowed brows. Sehun was flabbergasted, Kai was so near and he’s holding his arms, moreover, he looked extremely worried. Sehun’s face blushed crimson immediately when he felt Kai’s thumb gently caressing his bruised arm. “I...No one bullied me...i-it’s just... I slipped and I kind of hurt my arm. It’s nothing big...” Sehun explained and smiled sheepishly. “Stupid, you’re so clumsy.” Kai still looked worried although Sehun had reassured him that he’s okay. “I-It’s just the furniture hates me and that’s all...” Sehun says a matter-of-factly and Kai couldn’t even be mad at Sehun because the younger looked so cute and who wanted himself to be hurt anyways? “Be careful next time okay?” Kai says softly and Sehun could only nod dumbly, cheeks still flushed because Kai haven’t let go of his arm and he didn’t looked like he’ll let go soon as he’s still caressing the bruise. 

 

 

 

The next day, Sehun was heading to the lab when he saw Kai talking to Chanyeol in the dance studio. The two of them looked excited and Sehun couldn’t help but felt a little jealous. Kai was laughing, Chanyeol made Kai laughed. Sehun didn’t know why he felt a tug on his heartstrings at the scene and the weirdest thing is he wasn’t jealous at Kai but at Chanyeol, he should be the one that made Kai laughed, not Chanyeol. Sehun was staring intently at the two guys in the dance studio that he didn’t noticed the glass door of the studio was opened and he bumped it straight in the face with it. “Ow!” Sehun covered his face with his palm and screams internally. This is so painful, my nose... “Oh my god Sehun! Are you okay?” Sehun heard a familiar voice came beside him so he removed his palm and looked at the person. “I-I’m okay...” Sehun said while he tried to cover his face again to prevent Kai from seeing it but it’s too late because Kai had already seen it. He grabbed Sehun’s wrist and examined the latter’s face with furrowed brows. “, you’re bleeding! Let’s go to the clinic.” Kai cursed for the first time and pulled Sehun with him without waiting for him to answer. This is the first time Sehun heard Kai cursing and he knows Kai’s really mad this time. He’s supposed to make Kai happy not mad. 

 

 

 

The nurse left after helping Sehun and there are only two of them in the room. Sehun still felt painful but he didn’t want to show it, he didn’t want to make Kai angrier. Kai stared at Sehun and the younger looked away, avoiding any eye contact with the elder. “It still hurt isn’t it?” Kai was the first to break the silence, the crease between his brows was still there. Sehun nodded slowly, face still facing the wall. “Why are you so stupid and clumsy?! You were looking at Chanyeol right? Is he that handsome that you can’t even take your eyes off him while you’re walking?!” Kai burst out suddenly and Sehun looked at him with wide eyes. Why is he so mad? Tears started to gather in his eyes as he looked at Kai, he felt so stupid and disappointed at himself. He hated himself for making Kai angry and he felt so useless and stupid. “I-I w-wasn’t looking a-at Chanyeol...I was looking at y-you...you looked so happy with Chanyeol. I’m s-supposed to be the one who made y-you laughed but I made you angry now...I should be the one beside you...” Sehun started to sob, tears falling down his cheeks. Kai was shocked upon hearing what Sehun said and when Sehun cried, his heart clenched. He didn’t want to make him sad but he just shouted at him, gosh, what have I done? “Sehun...I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t be mad at you, I shouldn’t shout at you. Please don’t cry...” Kai leaned in and wiped the tears away from Sehun’s face. “Y-You shouldn’t be sorry...I made you angry...I’m sorry. I-I just don’t like seeing you with Chanyeol...” Sehun sobbed and Kai’s heart clenched. “No, I’m sorry too for shouting at you. I'm just worried. Please don’t cry anymore...” Kai cupped Sehun’s jaw with his hand and wiped away the falling tears. 

 

 


Sehun soon calmed down and Kai never be so grateful, he cannot stand seeing Sehun cry and it pained him. “Sehun, are you jealous?” Kai asked suddenly when he realized Sehun kind of confessed his feelings just now. Sehun’s face flushed deep red and he quickly turned around to avoid looking at Kai. He thought Kai was going to let him go since there was a moment of silence but he was so wrong. Kai cupped his jaw with both his hands and turned him around to face him. “Tell me Sehun...are you jealous? Am I more handsome than Chanyeol?” Kai looked deeply into Sehun’s eyes and the latter heartbeat fastened, he never met someone with such beautiful eyes until he looked into Kai’s eyes. Yes, Kai’s handsome, so much more handsome than Chanyeol. “I...y-yes. Y-yes...you are...” Sehun could hear his own heart beating so loud and his face had never been redder. Kai smiled and asked again, “Then do you like me?” A smirk appeared on his face when he saw how flustered Sehun looked. “Y-Yes...I-I like you...” Sehun whispered the last part and looked down shyly. Kai smiled, ever so bright and he just wanted to hug Sehun now. And so he did. 

 

 


“I like you too Sehun.” He whispered to his ear and embraced him in a tight hug afterwards. 

 

 


The surprised squeak from Sehun made him smiled brighter, Sehun was so cute. So clumsy but so cute. 

 

 


And Kai wanted to protect him always because Sehun should always be his clumsy Sehun, his and his only. 

 

 

 


And finally it's done!

Sorry if i kept you guys waiting. 

This is my longest one shot, it's 5k of fluff and i hope you guys like it!

Thanks :)

Don't forget to upvote or comment if you like it <3

I hope to hear your feelings towards this story :)