That Night

A Good Man

Just the two of us, alone and with only each other.

 

You'd found out that day what had happened, barely having time to heal even without knowing the full truth.

 

You wanted me there, wanted me now. You didn't know how you'd make it through the night without me to cling to. It felt so good to be so needed.

 

So I came. How I walked into that house, knowing more than you did, I don't know. But if I could have done what I did already it was hardly a stretch to keep it from you. To be almost proud.

 

That night was always going to be something to remember. Something that would haunt me no matter the outcome.

 

It all came apart that night.

 

When you cried over the girl who left you, the girl you loved, the girl who betrayed you...like I did. Why couldn't I stand to see you happy?

 

You couldn't understand why it never worked out, you didn't know how hard I'd worked to make sure it didn't, how closely I watched to make sure nothing started to grow too fast before I could crush it, until she got through.

 

I knew what I had to do, I had to step between you...and I know I'd do it all over again if there was the slightest chance I could change the end result. Even just a little.

 

But at that time, on that night, I thought it was the right time. You were vulnerable, wanting someone to love, and I was there.

 

...But I was wrong.

 

I listened, comforted you like a hypocrite, like I wasn't half the cause of this pain, and when I thought I'd read the signals right, I acted.

 

I pulled you close, tilting my head to reach yours bowed in sadness, and pressed our lips together...god how I wanted you to move in.

 

But you didn't.

 

You pulled back and looked at me like you could finally see me for everything I was.

 

Spiteful, bitter, manipulative. Aching.

 

I did everything I did for you and I, so we could finally make a go of it.

 

I knew you wouldn't try unless you thought I was your only option, all you had left. I could tell, just from your expression, that you thought I wasn't well...

 

I know I'm not now, I'm still sick over you. I just hoped so hard that one day I started to believe it could be true. It wasn't meant to end up this way though.

 

It all shattered before my eyes because I'd moved too fast. Everything I'd worked for, everything I'd dirtied because I thought, in the end, you'd thank me for waiting for you...and you'd love me.

 

That was when you used to take my calls, when you would smile when you saw me. When you weren't avoiding me for every mistake I'd ever made. The least of which was falling for you.