(1)

please take my love letter

(1962w)

It was always Jaehyun and Doyoung. It would not be Just Jaehyun or Just Doyoung but they were a duo that needed to always be together.

 

They met on 2013; both being casted into the company, and their friendship bloomed from there.

 

Jaehyun was already known between the trainees, what with having the same facial features as EXO’s Suho, and he was said to have an exemplary voice. Now, it wasn’t like Doyoung believed wrong or was challenging said man, he was just confident with his singing as well. News was that aside from his handsome features and alluring vocals, he was a magnificent dancer as well. He thought that he so wanted to meet said person, and so he did.

 

What they had started there. Since they’ve been together, the two were usually paired to do duets between all the trainees, their voices blending in the best way for good music to be produced, and although Doyoung may be lacking in the dance department, they were both tall so he guesses that that counts. Along with the singing, since both of them were chatterboxes, they were the usual pair to start a conversation with other trainees or does an impromptu TV show during lunch.

 

Both of them just clicked and no one ever questioned their friendship anyways so why would they bother.

 

Doyoung himself never thought twice about why he’d always prioritize Jaehyun, it was not something he needed to think about. Their friendship, whatever precious thing they have between them, is that important to him to even think about letting the other leave his side.

 

At times, through the years of being together, he would feel this certain rush on his cheeks whenever Jaehyun is near him. He doesn’t pay it much heed, though, they’re just friends anyway and he is sure that the redness that his cheeks color when he is with the younger means nothing.

 

Although he has said that to himself, as they have been given the chance to show themselves to the public and hold their own show gave them a chance to be together more than routine and the frequent reddening of his cheeks were now being accompanied with butterflies in his stomach and this commonly he-just-took-my-breath-away feeling.

 

Why was he even having those because of Jaehyun? Why does he even think that Jaehyun is the one causing it? I’m an idiot.

 

He lets the thoughts pass and he doesn’t think of them again. They were to have their Rookies Show and he would enjoy every minute of it.

 

-

 

“Ooh, yeah, alright, yeah. Listen. Baby, can we put them bags down? Just wait, hold on, for a minute,” Jaehyun started singing his line.

 

They were practicing for their upcoming rookies show, and since this is one step to their debut, everyone was practicing hard. They are now practicing one of their cover songs and Johnny started his intro on the piano, doing his best to play what’s on the piece of paper in front of him. Taeil, who was at the other end, was looking confident and determined to sing this song. Of course, the guy in the middle, the one to his right, was Jaehyun. He was passionately singing the starting line and Doyoung thought that he should do well, too.

 

“I got to say a couple things before you go, even though I know that we’re finished,” the younger continued.

 

Then it’s his turn.

 

“I don’t want you to leave without knowing just where I’m coming from, babe,” he sings as best as he could, “I just want to say, I made a big mistake, and now I got to face the fact that I…”

 

He may have no clue as to what the words mean, he should probably ask Jaehyun later, but the feelings are there.

 

“Should have been a better man, the kind of man that you needed,” their oldest hyung then starts, sounding soulful, “Would have been better off if I done right by you.”

 

“I should have done this, I could have done that, but I know I can’t go back,” the three of them blend together. Jaehyun looks at him during the second line, just in time for him to look back, and the moment passes. The younger turns and gestures the same to the man on the other end, too, “‘Cause now it’s just too late, I’m saying shoulda, woulda, coulda, yeah.”

 

Doyoung swore he felt something different, something that pulls him to sing the song with more heart, but pays it no heed. Not now you noisy head, we’re practicing here.

 

“I should have done my best to love you,” Taeil starts and something in Doyoung stirs.

 

“I should have placed no one above you,” Doyoung continues, pouring all his mixed emotions into the line.

 

“And now it’s killing me more than you know,” the three of them once again blend.

 

“Letting you go, that’s why I~ Girl, I know that I shoulda,” the eldest bursts out, belting out the high note with such proficiency that strengthens the of the song.

 

“Should have been a better man; the kind of man that you needed. Would have been better off, if I done right by you,” Jaehyun looks at him once again as they sing together while Taeil continues his high note, and the churning of his stomach is back. What is wrong with me?

 

“I should have done this-,“ Jaehyun and Taeil starts.

 

“Shoulda done this, coulda done that. No, I can’t go back, baby,” He then starts to sing his heart out: thinking of the despair hanging on to his hands, the certain gurgle that his stomach is doing, and an unwanted color that fills up his cheeks. Everything that happens whenever Jaehyun is concerned, “All I know is, girl I know is. Do you still love me like you used to? All the things I shoulda been, all the things I coulda been. Saying shoulda, woulda, coulda, yeah.”

 

“I know I shoulda, yeah. I know I coulda, yeah. I know I woulda been a better man. I’m saying shoulda, woulda, coulda.” The three of them harmonize with each other, with Jaehyun looking back and forth between him and Taeil, without any accompaniment anymore and marks the end of the song.

 

A few seconds pass, and just then that the others who are in the room watching and waiting for them to finish react by speaking up.

 

“Good job, guys,” Taeyong speaks first, standing up from where he was seated, “Your emotions were spot on.”

 

“I really like listening to you guys sing,” Johnny then says, seated on the piano seat, whilst sparing a glance at them, “You bring justice to my piano intro.”

 

“I want to say that it’d be nicer if I sing with you hyungs, but nah, you three are out of my league,” Donghyuck then jokes, lifting up their spirits as they all smile at him.

 

“Why are we receiving flattery from you all anyway?,” Doyoung sarcastically asks, feeling tons better than when he was singing the song.

 

“Right, Doyoung hyung is right,” the tall man beside him agreed, briefly looking at him, “And although I know that I love compliments being thrown at me, I’ll just wait for our fans to do that.”

 

“Oooh, here we have a confident Jung Jaehyun,” Yuta saunters to them, yanking his arm around Jaehyun’s waist; “I do hope that a lot of people come, though. We’re like working our asses off here.”

 

“If there would be just one audience or more, we should just be grateful,” Hansol then pipes in, “We may be working hard, but this is all for them, for those who wish to see us. Let us do well for a great show.”

 

Taeil glances at all of them, “Yeah. Let us remind ourselves that we haven’t even debuted yet and this big chance to present ourselves is given to us by our company. We should repay them for the trust they’ve given us,” they all know that this is becoming awkward, they just know their hyung, but they still listen intently and he shouts, “Fighting!”

 

“FIGHTING!!!,” All of them shout together, saving Taeil from his embarrassment.

 

“I’ve said this before and I’m saying it again, hyung,” Jaehyun sneakily says, grinning at the eldest of them, “You don’t have to force yourself to be cool.”

 

The said man just smiles at him, with too much affection in Doyoung’s perspective, and ruffles his hair despite having an obstacle named Yuta between them.

 

Now he’s messing his hair. Wow. How could Jaehyun smile through this, though? Doyoung’s mind says noisily. Oh, quiet you.

 

“Hyung,” Mark taps him, “You suddenly look serious. Like an I-want-to-kill-you serious. Oh and wait, are you looking at Taeil hyung?”

 

“What? What-,” He startles, suddenly smiling and snaking an arm around Mark’s shoulder, “I was just thinking about all the other songs we should practice. Should we still continue or call it a day and start early tomorrow? What do you guys say?”

 

“Right, we still have others to practice, but I guess it’s time to call it a day,” Taeyong agrees, sparing a glance at the clock by the door and at Taeil who nods, “We should all head back to the dorm to wash up and rest.”

 

“Yes, let’s!,” Hansol approves, snatching Yuta from Jaehyun, “Time to head back home.”

 

“Finally!,” Ten exhales, “Johnny hyung, want to leave together? Where’re your things?”

 

One by one, the members scurried out of the practice room, the three of them, the ones who practiced the last song were left and Doyoung suddenly felt that he shouldn’t be in there. He felt stupid to even think of that, too, though.

 

“So,” Taeil coughs, “I’ll go ahead. You two stay safe,” As he leaves, though, Doyoung could swear he saw the leaving man wink at Jaehyun’s direction. How odd.

 

Again, a lot of thoughts bother Doyoung. He shakes his head in an effort to make them go, which successfully makes him miss the way Jaehyun looked at him.

 

“You okay, hyung?,” Jaehyun asked, gracefully walking to his direction, “Despite of what you answered earlier, you really do look like you want to kill someone.”

 

“I don’t, okay?,” He bursts out, not meaning for it sound grumpy as he felt, finally seeing Jaehyun’s beautiful features slant in confusion and wonder, “I’m sorry, that sounded rude. I guess… I guess maybe I don’t feel well?”

 

“What? No, no, no. Hyung, you can’t feel unwell, not now,” Jaehyun dashed, placing his palm on top of his forehead and across his face and his hands and his sides and why was he touching him all over? “Let’s hurry home; I’ll take care of you.”

 

Those words made Doyoung’s cheeks flare a color he didn’t want. How could Jaehyun say inappropriate words that turn him all mushy even though it shouldn’t?

 

“And now you’re turning red, oh no. Hyung,” the younger swiftly holds him by the waist. Oh what do you even know? Scooping their bags using his free hand, he said, “Don’t you dare go sick on me, okay hyung? Come on.”

 

Despite his mind screaming complaints and flashing red lights of you shouldn’t be doing this because hey, last time I checked he’s the reason why you’re feeling all these unwanted things, he let Jaehyun man-handle him out of the building and into their car to send them home.

 

Sitting in the van beside the younger, with his hand still around him, feeling too tired from all the disturbing thoughts and feelings, Doyoung found himself leaning his head on Jaehyun’s shoulder and slowly drifted in sweet (he hopes) slumber.

 

The last thing he remembers is an arm tightening its hold on his waist.