It's Not My Fault

I Didn't Know

I look over at the clock. 12:35.

"Alright class have a nice day!" Out.

I leave the classroom, walk out the school doors, and get into my carpool's car.

"Hello Donghyun how are you?"

"I'm good."

"Oh today, you know how there's the AP meeting? Yeah well Brian's taking APs next year so he's going to attend the meeting. That's ok with you right?"

"The AP meeting is at 1."

"Yeah, we'll have to wait." I don't respond, and instead take out my phone.

"Hello?"

"Mom, Brian's mom just told me that Brian is attending the AP meeting which starts at 1 and she said we'll have to wait."

"When does the meeting start?"

"At 1."

"At 1? Are you crazy? Are you stupid?"

"I don't have anything afterschool I don't know why you're freaking out."

"I'm freaking out because you don't know how to manage your own damn schedule! You couldn't have told me before that Brian's going to attend the AP meeting? Huh? I could've gone to pick you up! What time are you even gonna arrive?"

"Mom I didn't know either, Brian's mom literally just told me when I got in the car. I'm not sure when the meeting ends but I'd assume it'll end at around... 1:30ish? So I'll probably get home at like 2:30"

"2:30?! If I go right now I'll get there earlier than 2:30! Do you even have anything to eat? Do you even have any money to buy anything to eat?"

"No, I don't."

"See? You're so irresponsible that you use up all the money your dad puts into your card  and then complain about not having any money! You're going to go to acupuncture and you need to eat before you get those needles inside your back! You're so ing stupid Donghyun! You can never manage your own damn schedule!" 

It's not that I use up all the money my dad puts into my card. My dad never puts money into my card. There's no money to use.

"Tell Brian's mom to drop you off at the acupuncture place."

"Ok." I look over at Brian's mom and I see her looking away in guilt.

"God, I can't believe you. You always tell me everything last minute! You never tell me beforehand! You're slowly killing me you know that? It's your fault! IT'S YOUR FAULT!"

It's not that I always tell you last minute. I tell you well before time. You just happen to forget everything I say. Not my fault.

"See, this is why I can never trust you with anything. Cus you always forget! And you always end up telling me last minute."

She's repeating herself.

"Why didn't you tell me before, huh? Let's hear this. Why didn't you ing tell me?"

"Because Brian's mom told me right when I got in the car."

"WELL THEN THAT IS A ING PSYCHO! WHY DOESN'T SHE TELL US ANYTHING? WE ALWAYS HAVE TO TEXT THEM FIRST! WE ALWAYS HAVE TO INFORM THEM OF EVERYTHING. SHE'S JUST LIKE YOU, SHE'S JUST LIKE YOU!"

I feel anger swimming up my veins and into my head. I try to keep my cool cus I'm in the car with a semi-stranger.

"I don't know. I didn't know. She JUST told me when I got in the car! If I had known then I would've told you. I didn't know either! She didn't text me last night, Brian didn't tell me anything cus we never talk, and then I get in the car and suddenly I'm told that I have to wait another hour just cus I'm stupid and Brian isn't, and then I'm screamed at. I didn't know either mom, she told me right when I got in the car."

"WELL THEN YOU SHOULD'VE ASKED HER BEFORE"

"HOW could I have ASKED HER, when I DIDN'T KNOW." 

I almost cuss, but I catch myself. I'm talking to my mother, not my friend.

"Ha... Just go to the acupuncturist after."

"Yes mother."

I end the call, and let out a sigh. It's a good thing I was speaking in Korean, because Brian's family is Bulgarian. 

I'm mad, but I'm not. I don't even know what I'm mad at. I'm not mad at Brian's mom because she probably didn't know until Brian told her last minute. I'm not mad at my mom because she always insults me. But I'm mad. And I have no one to rant to because all my friends are in the AP meeting. I just...

I didn't know.

I didn't know.

I didn't know either.

I didn't know anything.

I wasn't told anything.

No one ever tells me anything.

I never know anything.

And maybe I never will.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/n

I wrote this ing two days after this happened and I still felt the anger while writing this.

my life.

jk I don't have a life bye

-K.o