Crumpled Paper

Paper Plane

A crumpled ball of paper landed on my desk, followed by his chuckle. I closed my eyes, picking it up.

“What is it again? Didn’t I tell you stop doing this and to not waste paper?” I sighed as I placed the poor crumbled thing into my bag.  He’s at it again.

Usually, I keep these inside my bag. They always stay there, since I always keep forgetting to throw them into the trash.

“But Na, I just missed you.” He was walking towards me with his bag slung over his shoulder, while grinning. God knows how attractive he looks like doing that, making my stomach churn at this time.

“We literally see each other every day, more over you throw me pieces of paper. Every day.” I emphasized the last word. Placing his bag at his place behind me, he went back and sat beside me. He always sits at the vacant chair to my right. He might as well claim it as his since he always sits there.

“Yah, can you stop sighing? I know our lessons are difficult but classes haven’t even started yet,” I sighed exasperatedly. I can feel him hovering over my shoulder. “You’re already finished with the project? I thought that’s it’s still due next week?” He asked, with his puppy eyes. I internally screamed for he looks so adorable. He should stop doing that.

“Dong Sicheng, it’s still early in the morning and you’re stressing me out.” Turning to his direction, I lightly pushed him back. This guy really needs to know how personal space is important to me, but definitely not about my crush on him. It’s not helping me control my sanity.

“Aigoo, I will if you’ll help me with my project.” Sicheng pinched my cheek. Sparks went through my skin, I flinched. I rubbed the sore spot, rolling my eyes. “Alright, just go.” He pouted on his way to his seat.

Dong Sicheng, my childhood friend who always have bothered me in a lot of ways ever since we met, is apparently my classmate. Back when we were still kids, he would shy away whenever we make eye contact with each other. Now, he’s just bugging me every time we see each other.

To think that the shy and cute boy that used to stay at one corner turned into an approachable and someone who could make others turn their heads once he walks in their paths. Puberty works wonders.

“Okay, before we start our class,” Ms. Kim hurriedly walked behind the teacher’s desk, but not without her usual smile that could blind everyone. “I’d like you to meet our new transferee. Come inside, please.” She gestures the transferee to go in. A handsome guy with a kind aura made his way to the front. Damn, he looks too good to be true.

I leaned back on my chair and mumbled, “Hey. Isn’t he good-looking?” Waiting for Sicheng’s response, I got nothing for a while. I looked back at him to see that he was gazing outside the window. Typical of him. I observed him and his sharp features that made me adore him. If only you weren’t so dense.

Realizing I’ve been watching him too long for comfort, I faced front to see the new transferee staring at me.

“Uh, hi?” I temporarily offered a greeting before asking him what was he doing. “Ms. Kim told me to take the seat beside you, and now I’m here.” His voice is definitely the opposite of what he looks like, and to think that I called him baby-faced before.

“Oh! I guess we’re desk buddies for the year,” I answered, flustered.  Good lord, I embarrassed myself in front of someone I’ll be seating with.

“I’m guessing you didn’t catch my introduction from earlier. I’m Lee Minhyung, but you can call me Mark.” He offered a smile. Oh my god, he knows I wasn’t paying attention. I want to go home already. “You have an English name?” Sicheng mumbled, surprised. Mark chuckled before answering yes. His face was unreadable before turning his attention outside again.

“Is he always like that?” Mark asked me, before turning to the front where Ms. Kim was discussing. “Not really. I’m not sure. Sometimes, I guess.” I furrow my eyebrows. Honestly, I didn’t know why he was acting like this. He’s so confusing sometimes; I wonder how I always manage to understand him.

“Well, I wouldn’t also be that unsure unless I know your name.” I glanced at him. His lips were slightly turned upward, making him look like he’s slightly smiling. Once again, I embarrassed myself in front of him, twice.

“I’m Nata, nice having you as my seatmate.” I smiled back at him, not really feeling someone’s jealous gaze behind me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As days passed, I learned that Mark is a funny person. He’s a fun person to hang out with, especially with all the ‘swag’ he’s been telling me about. I’ve also been seeing Sicheng with a scowl on his face more often. I wonder what his problem is. He’s also been kicking me from behind during classes, and it’s been getting to me lately.

Yesterday, I was talking to Mark about the lesson we just tackled on and then suddenly Sicheng kicked my chair from behind. Not only that, he would look away whenever I’d catch him do it.

Who would want someone kicking their chair while writing notes and the person who kicks denies doing it? Hell, I wouldn’t. I was definitely a morning person, but I couldn’t look forward to my mornings because of him. Speaking of him, there’s the crumpled paper. Again.

“Good morning, Na,” He passed by me, going towards his seat. Knowing that Mark occupies the chair beside me, he just stayed at his place. Of course, getting tired of his antics, I ignored him, placing the crumpled paper inside my bag.

Silence took over between us. This feels uncomfortable; he’s not usually this quiet. Curious, I glanced at him through the corner of my eyes. He was resting his head on his table. It looks like he didn’t get much sleep.

“Hey.” I leaned back on my chair so he could hear me. “What?” He muffled.

“Are you alright? You seem like you didn’t get enough sleep,” Hearing my worried tone, he lifted up his face a little to smile at me. “I’m just tired, that’s all.” I’m pretty sure that’s not the only reason, but I decided to just nod. Realizing we were still maintaining the eye contact, I gulped wearily before leaning forward.

I rested my arms on my desk, avoiding messing my stuff. “Why are you so tired?” I whispered to no one exactly. “Who’s tired?” I looked up to see an amused Mark, who just arrived.

“No one, really.” I pretended to be busy with my papers. “Sure, like I didn’t know my seatmate talks to herself like this,” I face palmed. I’ve been embarrassing myself a lot of times in front of him.

He settled down beside me before gazing at my papers.  “Oh, you’re finished with the assignment? Could you help me with mine?” Mark asked, and I agreed. Hearing someone shuffle behind me, I saw Sicheng dragging his chair to my left. “I guess someone also needs help with his.” Mark grinned.

Sicheng huffed, placing his papers on our desk before seating down. “Okay, let’s start then.”

For the past few minutes, I’ve been helping both of them with their assignments. I focus mainly on Mark though, because he is actually troubled unlike Sicheng. He didn’t even need my help; he’s doing all the work by himself, why would he need me? Suddenly, I feel my legs being entangled with someone else’s.

I blushed when I saw it was him. What is he doing? He looks like he’s indifferent about it. I attempted to pull my legs away, but because of his advantage of having strong legs, I could barely move. I swear he could feel the glare I’m giving him, but he chose to ignore it. And there it goes again; I could feel my heart beating out of my chest again.

Unknowingly, I sighed, gaining Mark’s attention. “Is there something wrong?” Before I could answer, Sicheng stood up, gathering his papers. I didn’t even notice he untangled our legs together. “I’m finished. I’m going to go back to my seat,” He gave us a coy smile on the way to his place.

The feeling of emptiness bothered me a little. “Did you guys fought? I’ve been sensing the tension these days,” Even Mark noticed it. “He’s just annoying me lately and it got to me,” I brushed off the topic before he could ask again. Continuing our work, I could still feel the warmth Sicheng’s legs gave me. I know it sounds wrong, but trust me it feels comfortable.

Did we fight? No, nothing like that. He barely talks but his actions say a lot. I could tell he’s getting much clingier around me ever since Mark came. There’s this thought that passed by through my mind, and it’s definitely not that. Him, liking me? Not impossible but I’ll still deny it.

 

 

 

 

I’ve been ignoring Sicheng’s attempts to get my attention, and he doesn’t even give up. Mark’s giving me the usual worried face he has, and in return, I would smile at him. At least, I try to. Why is he making me feel this way? If I had known, I wouldn’t be mesmerized by his charms.

At home, I was fixing my bag until I saw the pieces of crumpled paper that I accumulated from Sicheng. His face flashed in my mind, and I relished how clear his eyes were. The side profile I’d never get tired of looking at. Sighing, I wonder how he’s doing.

Not really thinking of what was I doing; I started opening the crumpled papers. Maybe all of them are just either his scratch papers or just blank. I’m going to scold him real bad if he does crumple an unused paper.

 

Did you know I always miss you whenever you’re not around?

My eyes widened at the statement. What is he doing? Is he even aware I’d open these? Shocked at the event, I continued opening every one of it.

 

I love pinching your cheeks. You’re cute!

Looking into your eyes makes my heart skip a beat.

Sometimes I wish I could hug you every day.

You’re so blind to see the things I do just for you to notice me.

 

All of these confused me. Dazed with the last crumpled paper left, I opened it.

 

I like you.

And there, I lost it.

 

 

 

 

The next morning, I couldn’t stay calm. I’m afraid of seeing him, and how my view of him changed after reading all the writings hidden inside those crumpled papers he has been throwing me. Every step I take going to my classroom, the more nerve-wracking it is to face him. Alas, I’m at the front of the door. Twisting the doorknob slowly, I went in just for my heart to jump right out of my chest.

Sicheng was gazing outside, seemingly not noticing my presence. I’m glad for that, but now I have to keep it that way. I tip-toed my way to my place, not realizing he already knows I’m there.  A paper plane made its way on my desk. Out of habit, I reacted, losing my composure.

Reaching for the paper plane, I told him. “You’re wasting paper again. Didn’t I tell you that…” I was lost for words reading what was written on it. The words “I’m Sorry” etched on the right wing of it. My eyes soften, gazing at Sicheng who looks like an abandoned puppy.

Going near him, he was watching every movement I made. I sat down on my seat. It’s definitely not helping with my sanity as I’ve said.

“Why are you apologizing?” I softly mumbled while fiddling with the paper plane. “I realized I may have gone overboard in terms of… Well, getting your attention,” he coughed after saying that. Controlling my breathing, I turned and gazed at the window, like what he always does.

“And why would you want my attention?”

Silence ensued, but a comfortable one.

“I don’t like seeing you together with Mark,”

I chuckled at his childish tone.

“You do know we’re just friends, right?” Wait, why am I even telling him this?

“Of course, I asked him.”  I whipped my head to his direction.

“What? Why would you ask him that?” I raised my eyebrows at him.

“I may or may not have confronted him about some stuff, and end up doing the whole paper plane thing.” He waved at the paper plane, and I laughed at his statement. “What, the apology? It’s alright. I accept it; at least the handwriting is legible unlike the ones written on the pieces of crumpled paper.”

At the corner of my eyes, I saw him stiffen.

“So, I read from one of them that you’d want to take me to the movies. Is the suggestion still up, or did you just write it out of nowhere?” I smiled at his nervous state. He didn’t even know the effect he does to me, but now I’m aware what I do to him.

I heard him breathe out heavily before saying:

 

“Anything for the girl I like.” 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Feedbacks and suggestions are highly appreciated! ^^

UPDATE 06/12: I only changed the font size for mobile users hehe sorry for bugging. <3