Life Isn't Fair

No.

"Noona, can you read me a bedtime story?" 

"I had a long day today... maybe tomorrow?"

"Please?"

"...fine. The same story?"

"Yes please~"

"Alright get comfy."

"Yay!"

"Once upon a time, in the deepest, darkest part of the ocean, there lived a handsome shark among his many friends. The handsome shark was known around the entire sea for being one of the most vicious, merciless, prey hunting sharks. All the other sharks admired and loved him, and a few female sharks fought to mate with him. He, unfortunately, had no time for love, for his only love was the fresh feeling of capturing prey and devouring their screaming soul. One fateful day, the young shark decided to go up closer to the surface for new prey. As the striking shark stealthily swam through the brighter surface waters, something caught his eyes and he suddenly stopped. He hid and watched as a beautiful dolphin swam by, chittering with other dolphins. At that single moment, he forgot about everything. He forgot about hunting; he forgot about the other sharks; he even forgot about his love for preying on other fish. The only thing he could think of was how beautiful that chittering dolphin was. He longed to be able to gaze upon that particular dolphin for a bit longer, but she swam away as quickly as she came. Forgetting about prey, the shark swam back down to the deep and the dark. From then on, the handsome shark went up to the surface much more often, his only intention being to at least greet the beautiful dolphin he stalked every day. Gathering his courage, he one day finally confronted the dolphin with a meek hello. He expected a hello back, but he did not receive a hello. Instead, the beautiful dolphin swam away in fear of being devoured by the handsome shark. He had forgotten he was a shark. That didn't stop the headstrong shark from trying even harder to convince the dolphin that he won't hurt her. Meanwhile, the other sharks who admired and loved him wondered where the handsome shark had gone to for such a long time. It had been days and weeks since he last showed his face in the deep and the dark. So the sharks decided to look for him. They looked, and they looked, and when they finally found him, they found the handsome shark talking to the beautiful dolphin. Outraged, the sharks who once admired the handsome shark swam up to him and confronted him. The handsome shark proudly announced that he had fallen in love with the beautiful dolphin, who in turn had opened up her own heart. What happened next was not something the handsome shark ever thought would happen to him. The other sharks attacked him. They bit him, tore him apart. It was a slow, painful death for the handsome shark, and a gruesome sight for the beautiful dolphin. Afraid, she once again swam away to safety, leaving the handsome shark to die alone. To the sharks, he died not a legend, but a disgrace. To the beautiful dolphin, he remained a nice memory, but nothing more. The end~ Honestly I don't understand why you like this story so much. It doesn't even have a happy ending."

"I like it because it has a sad ending. It kinda leaves you thinking, what a cruel world it is that we live in."

"You think too much for a seven year old. I don't even tell the story well, yet you always ask me to tell you the same story."

"That's true, you don't  deliver it as sad as it should be."

"Oh shut up and go to bed."

"Good night~ thanks for the story."


Everytime I think about love, I think about the story of The Handsome Shark and the Beautiful Dolphin. I used to love listening to it when I was little. I'm not sure why.

Maybe it's because I like sad stories. Maybe it's because I liked sharks. Or maybe it's because I knew that would never happen. That true love isn't real, that people from different social classes don't fall in love with each other, that sharks don't fall in love with dolphins. Nor do dolphins fall in love with sharks.

But I was seven. I didn't know much of anything other than the ABC's and 1+1=cute. So of course I didn't know that I'd end up going to Yonsei Uni. Of course I didn't know that I'd end up the most popular and wanted boy. Of course I didn't know that I'd end up being nothing but trash who knows nothing but how to study and be the biggest bully at the age of 22. Because I was only seven. I only knew that 1+1=cute.

Every morning I wake up and the first thing I think is I'm just a big y piece of trash. But then I remember I have a big test to take and wimpy freshmen to bully. I dress myself in an outfit that I know will make girls wet themselves by waterfalls when they see me. And then I leave for school, where I'm known as the handsome, straight A student, popular bully.

The handsome shark was known around the entire sea for being one of the most vicious and merciless sharks.

Not something to be proud of but also not something to be ashamed of. The moment I step into school grounds I see eyes on me, some shaking from fear and others glazing over with lust. Girls flock over to me to compliment my looks and guys shoo them away to get close to me so I won't choose them as my next victim. My prey.

All of the other sharks admired him, and a few female sharks fell in love with him. 

Because when I'm not studying, I'm throwing some kid into the bathroom and shoving his head down the toilet as I flush. For what? For my own pleasure. I'm such a sadistic . Well at least I know.

But today, today is different. Today instead of going to the back of the school, I go to the front.

One day, the young shark decided to go up closer to the surface for new prey.

Where most people think they're safe from me. I lurk around the shadows, looking for either a , a wimp, or some fake to play around with. I spot someone; a meek Chinese student who's a few years older than me, but known for being openly gay. Also known for having a big 'secret' gay crush on my tall best friend. I'm about to come out of hiding when a group of humans walk by me. I almost cuss at them until I spot the most beautiful boy I have ever laid eyes on. 

He hid and watched as a beautiful dolphin swam by, chittering with other dolphins. 

Just like that, I suddenly forget that I was just about to hurt someone for finding another being of the same gender a love partner. Just like that, I suddenly forget that I am known around the whole school for being a sadistic bully. Just like that, I fall in love.

At that moment, he forgot about everything. He forgot about hunting. He forgot about the other sharks. He forgot about his love for preying on other fish. 

I watch as the group containing the beautiful human fades away out of school grounds. Still in a daze, I get out of hiding and stumble out of campus and into my usual study place; a reserved room in a crowded night club. I finish up my assignments due the next day and get up to party with the rest of the beings I call my friends. But no matter how many girls grind on me, I can't seem to get that unknown beautiful boy I saw today.

The only thing he could think of was how beautiful that dolphin was. The only thing he could think of was how beautiful that dolphin was. He longed to be able to look at that dolphin for a bit longer, but the latter swam away as quickly as she came. Forgetting about hunting, the shark swam back down to the deep and the dark.

The next day, I go to the front of the school again, and hide in the same place. I wait until the beautiful human walks by again. I wait until I spot him, who seems to be alone this time. This is perfect. Right before he passes by me I step out of hiding and smile, waving my hand. However, his already big eyes widen, and he lowers his head before quickly walking away. Oh right, I'm a big bully. I forgot.

From then on, the handsome shark went up to the surface much more often, him only intention being to at least greet the beautiful dolphin he stalked every day. Gathering his courage, he finally confronted the dolphin with a meek hello. He expected a hello back, but he did not receive a hello. Instead, the dolphin swam away in fear of being devoured by the handsome shark. He forgot he was a shark.

Thinking about him made me forget who I am. Somehow. But, not everyone tries to avoid me. Lots of people come to me so I won't hurt them. If I approach someone, they should feel honored. Well, this boy obviously doesn't. So everyday I wait at the same place, and I wait for him. He needs to know I don't want to hurt him. He needs to know I love him.

However, that didn't stop him from trying even harder to convince the dolphin that he won't hurt her. 

Eventually, he doesn't run away when I try to talk to him. He just ignores me. Well, progress. So I just walk with him and I talk. I follow him around everywhere, and occasionally he laughs with me. Occasionally he shoots me that beautiful smile of his that just makes me want to lean in and kiss that heart he creates everytime he smiles. Occasionally he tells me that he loves me too. But then my old 'friends' watch as we walk into campus, holding hands. The one that the small Chinese boy had a crush on walks up to me and laughs at our interlocked hands. He questions me and I respond. I'm in love with this boy.

Meanwhile, the other sharks who admired and loved him wondered where the handsome shark had gone to for such a long time. It's been days and weeks since he last showed his face in the deep and the dark. So, the sharks decided to look for him. When they found him, the handsome shark was talking to the beautiful dolphin yet again. Outraged, the sharks who once admired the handsome shark swam up to him and confronted him. The handsome shark proudly announced that he had fallen in love with the beautiful dolphin, who in turn had also opened up her heart a little.

And he loves me too. But they don't seem to accept that. It's only expectable. After all, those are the people I bullied fags with. I find myself being ripped away from the beautiful human. I find myself being throw into the bathroom, and being shoved into a toilet as the water is being down. I find myself being in the situation being the victimized . And I can no longer bear to face the beautiful human whom I love, because I finally realize that yes true love exists, and yes, sharks do fall in love with dolphins. And dolphins fall in love with sharks. So while I'm being dragged to the back of the school, I scream at my beautiful dolphin to run, run away. Run away and never come back. And I watch, as he runs away. I watch his beautiful figure fading away as the other sharks hit me with baseball bats. I watch, as I realize that it was never him who left, but my life. I watch, until I can no longer watch.

The other sharks attacked him. They bit him, tore him apart. It was a slow, painful death for the handsome shark, and a gruesome sight for the beautiful dolphin. Afraid, she once again swam away to safety, leaving the handsome shark to die alone.

fin.


A/n

kill me.

halfway through the story I realized I never mentioned any names and I decided to keep it that way cus you can kinda tell who I'm talking about by the way i'm describing their features. For example, the meek Chinese boy who's in love with the narrator's friend is Luhan. I didn't describe the narrator's friend but you can assume that he's Sehun. The 'beautiful dolphin' the narrator falls in love with is Kyungsoo, and the narrator/shark is Jongin.

well anyway this ended up tier than I thought it'd end up so .-.

oh well

Btw I actually kinda want feedback on this one and I usually don't do this but comment please? Thanks. I really want comments, good or bad :3 

-K.o