one

The Unprofessionals

Youngji was reading a classic novel Seungyeon recommended hoping it would put her to sleep when her phone vibrated to signal a new message. She swiped her phone screen to unlock and squinted. She wasn't surprised to see Jackson's name on her screen. "You ready for tomorrow?" She read.

He was talking about the Nylon photoshoot they were both lucky enough to be invited in. She remembered getting the news and being utterly surprised that her manager and his manager finally agreed for them to have an actual photoshoot together. This wasn't the first time they were invited to appear in magazines as a duo and each time, one of their camps would decline because of some conflict in their schedule. It was really just a simple way of saying that both companies didn't want to fan the flames of their once popular ship and would rather not deal with the controversy it would've brought. In retrospect, she thought it was a wise decision considering the alarming amount of hate she has gotten from Jackson's fans over the past months during and even after their Roommate stint. But now that they were growing as artists separately, she guessed a simple photoshoot would bring no harm and was actually excited over it. She knew any activity with him would be fun. Exhausting, as per usual, but fun.

"I've only drank water since 4 hours ago and just declined an invitation to go see the latest Jang Hyuk movie for fear of eating salt and MSG at the theatre. So yes, I am ready for tomorrow. Ugh." She quickly typed her response and stared at her screen after sending it. She was expecting a quick reply because Jackson may be notorious for getting back to people's messages so late, but if it's him that initiates then one must brace to be demanded of one's full attention. Instead of a reply, she got the familiar trill and vibration combo of her Cupid instrumental ringtone. She tried to hide a small smile.

"Yah Wang Jackson, aren't you supposed to be having your beauty rest?" She balanced her phone against her right ear and shoulder and looked for her headphones inside her bedside drawer.

"Who invited you to watch a movie?" He demanded without any greeting; his usually raspy voice suspiciously high.

She found her earphones and plugged them in her phone before answering, "Just a friend." It was actually Gukjoo who invited her, knowing that they were both fans of the handsome and talented actor, but she wanted to have a semblance of mystery from him and okay, a part of her loves teasing him. She would take any chance she could get to make him uncomfortable, which is even less than rare.

"Wah, you're keeping secrets from me now? I thought we were friends? So this is how you wanna be from now on? Okay, that's cool." So he was bringing both the petty and the childish tonight.

"Okay, calm down. Also, why are you panting?!" Is he exercising in the middle of the night?? 

"Nothing. This is how I breathe, Youngji!" She could hear Bambam cackle in the background. "He's doing his last minute push-ups, noona! That body doesn't bulk up by itself!" The young rapper of their group confirmed as much. 

"You really have to stop putting me on speaker when there are so many of your members who could be disturbed late at night.You know my voice can be loud sometimes!" She half-whispered and shook her head even though he couldn't see her. 

"Oh, stop. You know you're a breath of fresh air." His breathing was still a little bit labored. "Aren't your arms sculpted enough?!" She suddenly remembered those topless pictures of him brushing his teeth and being unnecessarily again posted all over Naver. She cleared instantly and thought of something else. She stared at her socks intently and willed herself not to blush. 

"You think my arms are sculpted?" Too late, with her face burning she tried to control her voice and said, "No, what I'm saying is that you and your fans think your arms are sculpted. Ew." She rolled her eyes for good measure.

"Sure. Whatever you say." She knew he had that stupid, stupid grin plastered all over his face. She pouted silently because he annoys her so easily. He makes her smile so easily. He makes her pout so easily. And she suddenly missed him.

Both of them didn't talk for a full minute, their uneven breaths totally not in sync. They let the initial awkard silence wash over them until Jackson silently chuckled and said, "See you tomorrow." She snapped from her reverie and nodded, realized that he wouldn't see then answered back, "Sleep tight. Stop stalking your fans in Instagram." 

She heard him murmur something just as she pressed end call on her screen. She wondered what it was as she fluffed her pillows and prepared to get a good night's sleep. She slept almost as soon as she closed her eyes with a little smile on her lips. She will ask him tomorrow.