A Clear Mind

Moonlight
Please log in to read the full chapter

The night was filled with joyous sounds of laughter and music. Tonight marked the Summer Solstice, the festival of prosperity and life. It was a night for celebration. Donghae however, had left the square where the party took place letting the sounds of singing and mirth become soft to his ears. He needed to clear his head.

 

He had drunk too much nectar, his body warm and his mind constantly buzzing with whispers of thought. So he sought out the calm surroundings of the forest, specifically one of the many pools of water. Donghae smiled bemusedly at the beautiful fireflies fluttering through the air. Crouching down he found that the grass was soft and barely touched with dew. Tiny glimmering flowers surrounded his secluded pool of choice, the tree's dark purple leaves creating a canopy of sorts. It was serene, and made even more soothing by the sight of the stars scattered across the night sky.

 

“...Lord Donghae.”

 

Turning around sharply at the soft voice calling his name Donghae swallowed thickly. In his current state he didn't think anyone would follow him out here, much less the man that was overtaking his thoughts. How ironic that the cause of his troubles would appear now.

 

But it was Hyukjae, and he would always be there to look after Donghae.

 

“Yes?” Donghae called after gathering himself. “What is it?”

 

“Are you alright? You left the party early. I do not mean to intrude.” There was a furrow between the knight’s brows which Donghae very much wanted to smooth out. He stood up to do just that but found the movement a little disorienting.

 

In an instant Hyukjae was moving towards him, arms outstretched should he need any help. Instead Donghae held out a hand to halt him. After a few deep breaths the world was still and grounded again. “I'm fine, thank you Hyukjae.” Donghae smiled fondly at the other's concern. “I just wanted to see the flowers...”

 

“Ah, I see.” The older nodded, eyes gentle. His hands dropped to his sides but the knight’s eyes were still vigilant. “Would you like an home or will you be fine here? I can wait if you would like.”

 

Donghae felt his heart thud faster in his chest at the tender gaze directed at him, and could not stop staring at his friend’s features under the moonlight. He was glad for the darkness that twilight brought. To have Hyukjae see him so vulnerable and open would be terribly embarrassing. Donghae cursed the nectar he had consumed earlier for his lack of control.

 

“No I couldn't ask you to wait Hyukjae.” He shook his head. But Hyukjae was already stepping forward.

 

“Nonsense, it is my duty to keep you safe.” He stopped in front of Donghae. “...Besides that, you love nature. How could I not let you enjoy yourself.”

 

A sweet smile graced Hyukjae's lips and Donghae felt himself ready to melt. It was not fair the effect Hyukjae had on him, even with the simplest of actions. But perhaps the nectar was to blame because the longer Donghae spent admiring the knight’s smile the closer it seemed to get to him.

 

“Donghae?” alarmed, Hyukjae’s hands came up to steady the lord as Donghae nearly fell into him. Donghae merely hummed and blinked. Funny. He didn’t remember stepping this close to Hyukjae. What a nice surprise.

 

His knight however didn’t seem to think so. A gentle hand came up to tilt Donghae’s face this way and that. “How much have you had to drink my lord?”

 

“Hah,” Donghae scoffed but leaned into the warm palm. “I’ve barely had anything. There is no need to fuss.”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

Hyukjae was decidedly not convinced. Petulantly Donghae opened his eyes to properly glare at him. So what if he could not recall how many glasses of nectar he had, he was not drunk. Just a little tipsy. How rude of Hyukjae to not believe him. “Don’t take that tone with me. I am fine.”

 

“Right,” a crooked smile graced the knight’s face and it only made him more angry. Having such a handsome expression that close to Donghae’s face when it was improper to kiss his subject was uncalled for.

 

Oh. Donghae blinked as some more words escaped that pretty mouth only to go right over his head. Perhaps he did have a little too much to drink. “Sorry…. What did you say?” determined this time, Donghae squeezed his eyes shut and tried to focus on what was actually happening around him.

 

There was a quiet laugh and Hyukjae lightly patted his cheek. “You are only proving my point my lord. You have had a little too much to drink. Going home soon would be wise.”

 

Donghae gave up trying to persuade him. It appears that his favourite knight had a point. “I see...” He could not help but frown, the night was beautiful and he did not want to leave just yet. “Well your words seem wise, I want to stay here a while longer.”

 

“As you wish. Perhaps we can sober you up some before heading home.”

 

A chuckle escaped Donghae at Hyukjae’s bemused tone and steady hands moving to his arms. “You always have my best intentions at heart. Thank you.” He smiled gratefully.

 

Hyukjae looked rather pleased. “It's my duty Lord Donghae.”

 

Donghae knew his words came from the heart but he could not stop the sting of hurt rising in his chest. He did not want it to just be Hyukjae's duty. No, he craved to be important to Hyukjae on a very different level. All the lord could do was nod slowly as he stared at his companion.

 

Hyukjae did not seem to notice anything was amiss with his charge. “Do you require my help to go anywhere?”

 

Well then, if Hyukjae was convinced that Donghae was completely smashed- and who cares how much that holds true- Donghae would take advantage of it. Feigning exhaustion from the mental leaps he was making Donghae let himself fall forward and wrapped his arms around the knight’s shoulders. “Yes. Do help me get to the pool, please.” he exhaled against Hyukjae’s neck. As he had expected Hyukjae’s hands were quick to steady his torso and the knight was very warm.

 

“Of course.” Hyukjae agreed quickly enough but hesitated to move. After contemplating his options Hyukjae deemed it smart to shuffle slowly backwards and away from the trees. Content with letting him do all of the work, Donghae didn’t walk with him but continued embracing the man. Even if they would not get very far. Hyukjae let out a sigh. His form felt tense against Donghae’s. “Master Donghae, you have to work with me here.”

 

“But I cannot- you see I am hopelessly drunk. As you mentioned, dear knight.” Donghae crooned into the now warm skin of Hyukjae’s neck. The exasperated groan he got as a response was terribly delightful.

 

“Donghae, please.” There was a fondness in Hyukjae’s tone however that betrayed any annoyance. He was close to laughter and that was a wonderful reward.

 

With a dramatic sigh, Donghae agreed. “If you insist.”

 

And thusly the two started to move in tandem, feet shuffling amongst the grass and flowers in an awkward sort of dance. It was exhilarating to let himself be this clingy and playful with Hyukjae in the secrecy of the meadow where no one could bother them with rules. Letting out a soft breath Donghae nuzzled further into his companion’s neck, relishing in this stolen moment. The fingers around his sides twitched and he thought Hyukjae might of swallowed oddly enough, when in the next step both of them were plummeting towards the ground.

 

The night dew had made the grass slicker than expected and one misstep had led their feet to slide and knock into each other. But thankfully Donghae landed on the comfortable mass of Hyukjae’s chest with the momentum of their fall. Although he did smack his forehead against the man’s collarbone.

 

“Uggh…” a loud groan escaped Hyukjae and that got Donghae to focus on his friend instead of the slight stinging of his temple.

 

“Hyukjae? Are you… ohh,” lifting his head up proved to be a mistake as Donghae’s vision swam. He blinked to clear it as Hyukjae struggled to sit up and address him. The knight could only prop himself up on his elbows because of Donghae’s position on his torso. “Are you hurt Donghae?” Hyukjae asked ardently. Concern coated every layer of his voice and it made Donghae smile happily.

 

“No. But what about you Hyukjae?” With clear vision, Donghae pulled himself further up Hyukjae’s chest until his hands were gripping his shoulder guards. The knight made several words of protest against this only to have his elbows slide on the grass and his back land with a thud against the ground once more. “Oh.” Donghae stared down. Did he do that?

 

Small flickering lights in the lord’s peripheral vision called his attention from such questions and Donghae glanced around. They were beside the pool now, tangled up by the flowers and still water. Fireflies were nearby dancing around the meadow a

Please log in to read the full chapter