One Step At a Time

Don't be in Denial
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well, at least I have two patients a day.” Seulgi tried to cheer herself up as it was already 1 o’clock in the afternoon, yet she only had one patient that day. “And I got a job. So there’s no need for me to feel like a failure.” She added.

The thing is, Seulgi is a neuroscientist in a huge university in South Korea. That should be the perk of her; working in a huge university. But one thing she wished she could’ve done something about is that, nobody really goes there to see a neuroscientist. Hell, she’s been thinking for time to time that people do not know about her existence in there.

“But what matters is that they pay you monthly, sweetheart.” Her mother would say when she complained about her life. Yes, of course she’s thankful of that. But Kang Seulgi is a workaholic, so she wants to work for like 24 hours a day if it’s possible. Her being seated in her office all day and practically do nothing stress her out.

 

 

4PM. One more hour before I go. She sighed.

A soft knock on her door startled her. “Doctor Kang? You have a patient.” Her assistant told her.

“Oh okay.” Seulgi instantly straighten her sitting position and pull the end of her clothes to tidy it up a little bit. A few moments later she saw a guy—probably around her age—and a middle-aged lady beside him. His mom? She thought.

After a little introduction, Seulgi started to sound sharp and serious. “So what can I help you?” She asked.

“I’ve been forgetting about things.” The lady, whose name is Jun Sayeon, said. “Like, I’ve been cooking a cake ever since I was little, but the other day, I forgot how many grams of butter I should put in.” She continued. “And the last time I went to a grocery store alone, I forgot how to get home.”

“It was really dangerous.” The guy added. “She almost went to her neighbor’s place instead her own apartment.”

“Alright, Mrs. Jun, now I will tell you a name of a man and his address. I want you to remember it. Do you understand?” The lady nodded right after Seulgi said that.

“His name is Han Geonhyung and he lives at 42 Apgujeong-ro 79-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea.” Seulgi said slowly, hoping the lady would understand and remember every detail.

“Ridiculous.” That was the first thing the lady said once Seulgi finished her sentence. It’s a short address and the lady felt offended. How come she couldn’t remember that?

“Now can you tell me his name and his address, Mrs. Jun?”

The lady took a deep breath before answering confidently. “Han Goohyung, 45 Apgujeong-ro 79-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea.”

“Thank you.” Seulgi said simply and wrote down something on her note. The guy looked at the scene fascinatedly. She got the name and home number wrong.

 

 

After a few more questions like today’s date, month, year, and all those things—which made the lady felt very offended and almost lost her temper—the lady broke in and said, “Can I go to the toilet now?”

“Yes, of course.” And the lady quickly went to the toilet, leaving Seulgi and the guy in the room. None of them talked for a few seconds—Seulgi was actually busy writing down something on her notebook, while the guy was busy looking around her office; everything about her fascinating him.

“I’m sorry, she has a bad temper.” That was the first thing the guy said and it successfully made Seulgi looking up from her notebook.

“No, that’s fine. I’ve been gone through a lot harder patients.” She chuckled. “Your mother?” She asked after a while.

“No, she’s my aunt. My cousin couldn’t accompany her so she asked me.” And to that, Seulgi nodded.

“What is the result?” The guy asked again, probably to keep the conversation going on.

“Well, I don’t think I can conclude it now, since I have to go to the test center to figure it out. But if you really want to know, promise me you are not going to tell your aunt yet. Or anyone in your family.” Then the guy nodded.

“I think she has Alzheimer’s disease.” Seulgi finally said. “But I’m not sure about this yet, it’s just my assumption.”

“A-Alzheimer’s disease, you say?”

“Yes, but she’s still in the early stages. That’s why your aunt needs to come back again next week, to get the accurate result.”

“Alright, thank you Dr. Kang.” The guy said and offered his hand for a handshake. “My name is Jaebum by the way, Im Jaebum.”

Seulgi blankly looked at his hand at first, but a sudden realization hit her. “O-oh nice to meet you, Im Jaebum-ssi.”

That’s how it starts.

 

 

Seulgi kept staring at her wristwatch, waiting for the clock to hit the 4.30PM. She was in her office, of course, and today is the day Mrs. Jun and that Im Jaebum guy to come back to get the result. With a little consultation, of course.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter