In the Land of Bubble Baths and Pizza

Unfathomable Beginning

 

You walked to a silent corridor, quite isolated from the scurrying people. At the end of it, you saw a white door slightly opened. You took three steps closer and heard voices coming from the inside. Both are deep, though quite different in timbre. One sounded like it’s of a rapper while the other, you assume, can actually produce a high-pitched sound, if desired. As you come closer, it grew louder and louder, enough for you to understand that the voices were talking about bubble baths and pizza, and how these two things became the most glorious things ever invented by the human race.

Puzzled by the randomness of the said ideas, you peeped through the little gap and saw two boys sitting in a corner of the room you think is empty. One of them was chubby with a blonde, shaggy hair. He wasn’t gorgeous like the past boys you’ve seen earlier but he exuded a unique kind of charm which you cannot distinguish from all other boys of his age. Emphasized by his double chin, his face emanates a lively atmosphere; as his every smile compliments his sense of humour – which was deeply established and made obvious by the laughter and joy seen on the other guy he’s with.

And speaking of the other one, your attention was diverted to him upon seeing his high cheekbones. It was one of the cutest things you’ve ever seen in a guy, you told yourself. Truth is: nobody can oppose that this other guy is one of the most beautiful person you’ve ever laid your eyes on. Like a living doll. He’s like the male version of Barbie – petite, gorgeous and slender.

Yes, he’s thin and small at the height of, if you’re not mistaken, 5’4”. Nevertheless, you can clearly notice the evident chest muscles he has beneath his white shirt. His brown hair complemented his rosy, oriental skin color. His eyes were small, especially when he’s laughing.

You are drawn to an unusual kind of serenity just by eavesdropping. The harmony of their voices made you lean closer to the door, close your eyes and savor the short seconds that you feel calm. But you luck denied you. As you take a deep breath, your body lost balance and pushed the door open – bringing a shock to the two kids.

With full surprise on the face, the chubby one glared at you like you were a criminal as the other ran to his back and hid. The plump kid raised both his arms as if trying to defend the elfin one. You immediately stood up, but you end up falling again as your left templar suddenly throbbed – due to sudden rush of blood.

Before you could even stand up again, the kids both offered you a hand for help. You both reached it and with all the might of the petite boy, you were brought on your feet.

Kamsahaeyo. You told them as you flash the ever charming smile. It was your weapon for apologies, after all. And as expected, it didn’t fail. The two kids smiled back at you with the round boy even offering you a chair to sit at.

Why are you here? You asked.

Because hyung feels like, the little kid started speaking. But before he could finish, the other grabbed him from behind covering his mouth with his stout right hand. Overpowered, the first kid conceded and raised his hand in surrender. The ‘hyung’ freed him. As they look at each other, they laughed again as if nothing happened.

Completely lost, you insisted that they tell you the truth. You then directed the question to the older one and asked again, Why are you here?

Suddenly, the merry atmosphere was replaced with a gloomy one. You looked at the kids and the smiles on their faces are now nowhere to be found. You knew something’s wrong, and you wanted to make it right.

Because I’m fat and nobody really likes me.

You were startled by the reply of the chubby kid. Why on Earth should inferiority be invented?

How did you say that? Asking this would be the only way to start the comfort.

Isn’t it obvious?

That was too much for a kid to bear. You looked at the petite one to look at his reaction, and when his eyes met yours, he took a deep breath, mustered all the courage and spoke in behalf of his hyung.

Hyung thinks like he’s different and he’s not supposed to be here. He thinks like he’s good for nothing. But ahjussi, he dances well! He raps well! I’ve been telling him that but he wouldn’t believe me!

Taken aback by the word ahjussi, and the depth of these kids’ emotions, you heaved a sigh, took their hands on your lap and clasped it tightly with yours. You looked at them with the hope that they will listen intently on what you’ll be saying.

Then you start,

Kids, things like that happen. You can’t please everyone. When someone says he doesn’t like you, let it pass. Don’t dwell on his opinion. Because at the end of the day, it is how you see yourself that matters. The world is not a land of pizza and bubble baths, but you know what? You can turn it into one whenever you want. The secret is buried deep within your hearts. If you come to think of it, you are a great person. You can both do something which not everybody can. And with that, you must be proud. Because you are you, and you’re not pretending.

You ended your thoughts with a smile, flashing them your deep dimple. Then you hear sobs coming from the chubby one. You let go of their hands and tried to lift up his face, but before you could, he threw himself to you for a hug.

You embraced him back and closed your eyes. A teardrop fell. Suddenly, you felt someone wiping it from your face. You slowly opened your eyes and you saw the younger one smiling at you. You signalled him to come closer and as he took a step forward, you pulled him to join the embrace.

They were kids, after all. And somehow, as they were locked in your arms, you felt the responsibility you have to these kids. As you release them from your warm embrace, they took steps back before they finally run out of the room in full smiles and energy.

In a blink of an eye, they disappeared. You took a peep on the outside and with one deep breath, you whispered a simple prayer,

Lord, let me be a real hyung to them.