The Unknown Beginning

Unfathomable Beginning

 

Dugeun-dugeun, your heart says. Your breathing is shallow, as if there’s no air reaching your lungs. Your stomach’s turning and it makes you want to puke. But you know that it’s not the best time to run to the toilet and vomit. The clock is ticking faster. In a few minutes, you’ll end, or so you thought.

You touched the thick cloth that separates you from all others. You were so lost that you can’t even remember what it’s called. Nevertheless, with one deep breath of courage, you peeked through it to see what’s on the other side…

And then you gasped. You don’t get what you saw. You can even barely remember what’s behind that thick cloth. So immediately, you backed away.

OUCH!

You turned and realized that you have stepped on the foot of a woman. But on second thought: ‘no, he’s a man,’ you told yourself – only, very beautiful with that blonde, shoulder-length hair. You stared at him for a second to assure yourself that you were not seeing a living Venus. It was the first time you see such perfection. With or without make-up, you knew he’s gorgeous. His skin is as rosy white as milk mixed with granules of pearl; and his eyes are so expressive like those of the royal Japanese descent. Nevertheless, he doesn’t look foreign at all.

The beautiful man gave you a quizzical look. All of a sudden, he shouted: ‘JUKGO SHIPEO?’ You came back to your senses and your face turned red. It’s not polite to stare at someone you don’t know. You took a step back to give way for a 90-degree bow of apology. But even before you could, the beautiful man tapped you on the shoulder, smiled and assured you that it’s okay. He flashed a smirk which made you lose your coherence and then, off he ran away.

Lost for words, you turned back to see where he’s going. You can’t help but admire his graceful exit from your encounter just a few seconds ago. So cool, you thought. As your eyes remained fixed on him, you noticed a black mask on his hand. Then, you started asking: ‘For what is that?’

Suddenly, a bump from behind relieved you from the state of profound thinking.

Mianheyo.

It was the sweetest and most mellow voice you’ve ever heard – completely different from that of the beautiful man. You turned to look who the owner of the voice is and you got surprised to see another blonde man, profusely wiping his eyes with the back of his hands. It’s like he was trying not to show that he’s crying. In his face, the same nervousness you’re feeling is painted. He bowed when he met your stare and for the second time, he apologized – in the same sweet and calming voice you heard a while ago. He hurriedly excused himself and ran to the same direction the beautiful man went to.

Without thinking twice, you followed.

“Taaaaal… Naaaaaui… Taaaal… Dashi jweoyo!!!” You heard him speak in broken Korean and knew in an instant that he’s a foreigner. Basing from the serene tone of his voice, he must be Chinese. Nevertheless, what’s with the mask? Why does he need it?

Then the beautiful man from a while ago came back. They were standing just in front of you so you heard clearly what they were talking about.

Tal… Aniyo… Ipjima… Jeoltaero!” The beautiful man spoke slowly and in broken Korean, as well. It’s probably for the foreigner to understand. Then, he tore the mask with all his might. A gasp escaped the Chinese’s mouth. He couldn’t do anything but let the tears of fear take over. The beautiful man, obviously surprised, took the foreigner’s hand and pulled him to an embrace. “Gwaenchanha… Geokjeongma… Gwaenchanha…” he said, while patting the back of the other.

You smiled and retreated. These two had to talk in private.