Anchored

Colours

If she was fire, Yoona would definitely be her sky.

 

Jessica's not sure when it started. She doesn't remember at all how it all began, just that things changed somewhere along the way. Heat rushes to her face when Yoona threads her fingers through hers and shivers run down her spine when Yoona gives her that look, a mix of gratitude and unadulterated joy (and dare she say she sees something more?) They complement each other in a weird way, like ice cream and fries, with Yoona's love for pranks and Jessica's love for seeing people get pranked ("Are you sure it isn't sadism?" "No!"). They connect with each other on a deeper level too: she's grounded by her in a way that no one else can. 

 

It was definitely a recent Sunday spent leaning against the source of all her musings ("Wow, you're heavier than I thought you would be." "Shut up.") on the sofa when she realises that perhaps these reactions were not as platonic as she thought they were. Yoona trails a hand through her hair, in the process of making a snarky comment towards the cheesy movie on the screen in front of them and all Jessica thinks is she's beautiful. She closes her eyes and sends a silent thanks to any gracious entity out there for intertwining Yoona's fate with hers. Her final conclusion: They must have been part of the same star.

 

"Sica? You still here?" She feels a slender finger jab her gently in the ribs and squeaks. Looking around, she selects her weapon of choice and smacks Yoona solidly in the head with a pillow.

 

"No. My soul's currently shopping with Tiffany in L.A, if you'll be so kind as to excuse me." she jokes, earning a snort and another jab in return.

 

"You're ridiculous." 

 

"So are you."

 

"But you love it." A smug smile appears on her face as her eyes light up in amusement and Jessica wills the pounding in her heart to cease. She opts to wrap her arms around Yoona and bury her head into her shoulder instead, attempting to hide the flush she's sure is spreading fast on her face. Yoona's breath audibly hitches.

 

"I do." Jessica mumbles into her shoulder, receiving two pats on her back in return as she feels more than sees Yoona exhale slowly.

 

"I know."

 

 

(Yoona smells like vanilla.)

 

----

 

They perform. They kick . Taeyeon still gets the most plushie gifts (kaonashis still freak the out of her) and Hyoyeon's dance moves still gets the loudest screams. She still pines over Yoona.

 

They still get closer, though. Jessica never really anticipated this -- how Yoona ends up coming to her room at least twice a week to do whatever they want for a few glorious hours from -talking to video games to lazing in silence and enjoying each other's company. She listens to Yoona when she needs it and Yoona does the same. Sometimes, it feels like she can see right through Jessica.

 

Or that's how it feels the day after they release Catch Me If You Can and there's a soft knock on her door before a bundle of Yoona flies into the room and hugs her tight before she's even moved from her position on the bed. A sound of surprise escapes but she hugs her back anyway. 

 

"You're supposed to wait after knocking, you know."

 

"What?" A pointer absentmindedly traces shapes into her side. Jessica shivers.

 

"The door, dork."

 

"Mmm. Sorry." She watches Yoona draw back from the hug and look around before speaking again.

 

"What were you doing, anyway?"

 

"Painting. It's a good thing I put the sketchbook on the table, you know," She looks at the myriad of colours blending into one another. "Think I've gotten better at recreating the night."

 

"That you have."

 

There's a beat of comfortable silence and Jessica turns her gaze back to Yoona, her bottom lip trapped between her teeth and I'm thinking clearly written in the expression on her face. She watches a stray lock of hair fall to cover part of Yoona's face, resists the urge to sweep it back with her fingerips. The sunlight hits her face in the best of ways. She's still so beautiful.  

 

"Sica?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" She feels her eyebrows rise in confusion and Yoona places a hand on her thigh, a reassuring look in place of the previous one.

 

"I-I guess?" I think I love you.

 

"Cool." The strange look she's given is no comfort to her at all, like Yoona knows something she doesn't. 

 

They resume their normal conversation afterwards, this time about astrology, and as she points out the stars in the sky that they can see through her window her heart beats and beats for Im Yoona.

 

(They find out with Google that Gemini and Aries are compatible.)

 

----

 

When the day finally comes, its a roller-coaster of a day.

 

They're all in their dorm celebrating their tenth anniversary as a group and Jessica's stomach hurts from laughing with Seohyun after watching a dance-off between Hyoyeon and Sooyoung. It ends with Sooyoung chasing after Hyoyeon as they brisk walk around the room, yelling accusations of cheating as they go. Jessica looks around, rising when she realises that Yoona and Yuri are nowhere in the living room. She waves cheerfully to Seohyun as she leaves to wander the halls in search of them.

 

"I need to tell you something." Yuri's voice drifts from around the corner, garnering her attention. She peers around the corner, to call them back to the party and not because of anything else, she insists to herself, but her voice dies in when she sees Yuri bring a hand up to cup Yoona's face. Something in her aches -- she can't tell whether it's her heart or her lungs -- as Yuri tilts her head and she watches their lips meet. They part and Yoona looks conflicted, eyebrows knit together in confusion. Nothing happens for a moment in time untill she feels her self release an involuntary gasp as her fist clenches painfully and she closes her eyes.

 

When Jessica opens them again, Yoona is looking straight at her with surprise in her eyes even though Yuri's is still milimeters from hers. There's nothing she wants to do more now than run. Far, far away from this, far far away from Yoona. Far, far away from her heart.

 

She does just that, walking fast before breaking into a sprint as she heads towards the door. 

 

"Jessica?"

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"I'm going to skin you alive, Hyoyeon!"

 

"Jessica!"

 

She recognises sources of every single voice (the last one is Yoona's) but she doesn't stop to answer any of them. Quick steps follow behind her and she's barely crossed the threshold to the corridor outside when the door slams behind her and a wall of vanilla slams her into the side of the building by her shoulders. She shrieks, attempts to wiggle out of her position when a hand clutches a waist and another tilts her face upwards and Yoona's nose is suddenly touching hers.

 

"You're impossible," Yoona grumbles, and kisses her. Jessica stops struggling then, melting slowly into the kiss as she burns and burns and burns, and she feels Yoona meld against her until they are flushed against the wall.

 

When they break apart for air, Jessica asks the first thing that comes to her mind. "Yuri?"

 

"Told her I'll talk to her about that later."

 

"Ah."

 

They stay silent for a while, Yoona nervously thumbing the hem of Jessica's shirt, before speaking again.

 

"I don't like her in the same way I like you. You know that, right?"

 

"Now I do." Yoona smiles softly before breaking into a grin at her response and Jessica does too.

 

end

 

[A/N: I had fun writing this. It hurts to see soshi without Jessica, especially on snapchat. Hope both parties are still happy T-T]

Update: fixed a few typos. that's just it :)