One

March 17

Winter was almost over, though the wind still brought a chill to Jaehwan's skin as he nervously rushed towards his destination. As he approached the sprawling red maple tree, he could see her standing there with a troubled expression, twisting her fingers in absentmindedness.

 

Lifting her gaze and seeing him approach, her face lit up with a small smile and Jaehwan's chest tightened at the sight.

 

She was dressed in his favorite cream knit sweater paired with a black skirt, stockings and black knee high boots. The way her long chestnut-colored hair fluttered in the cool early-spring breeze as she waved towards him with her head cocked just slightly to the left made him hold his breath.

 

He made a mental note to never forget the image of how lovely she looked today.

 

"Hey." She greeted, smile never leaving her face.

 

"Hey. Did you wait for long?" Jaehwan asked, taking her hand gently into his as he greeted her.

 

She shook her head wordlessly, noticing his uneasy tone, and the fact that he didn't seem quite like the usual bubbly and carefree Jaehwan that she'd become accustomed to in the two years they've been together.

 

She had noticed that he had sounded strangely out of character when he called to ask her to meet today, none of the usual "Ottokajiiii" and cute animal imitations. But she had brushed away the strange feeling, assuming he was nervous about his final audition for the new boy group in Jellyfish Entertainment.

 

She had watched the most recent episode of Mydol and knew how much was at stake. Singing was his life, and there was not one single doubt about that.

 

"Aren't you cold?" she said, noticing that he was just wearing a thin sweater, the fingers rubbing her hands cold to the touch. "Here, take this."

 

Untangling her large knitted scarf from her neck, she reached and looped the scarf twice around Jaehwan's neck.

 

"There." She said smiling, satisfied with the way it sat on his long neck.

 

Jaehwan was staring down at her with a troubled expression, and it took her a moment to notice that something wasn't quite right.

 

"Is something wrong?" she questioned, glancing up at Jaehwan. "You're so quiet today."

 

"I..." Jaehwan started after hesitating for a few moments, not quite sure where to begin. He his lips in nervousness and let out a sigh. "I have something to tell you."

 

"What is it?"

 

She didn't like the way his voice trembled, and she expected the worst.

 

"I.... I made it through the auditions. I'm debuting in two months."

 

The words spilled out of Jaehwan's mouth, and it took a few moments to sink in.

 

As a smile spread across her face, she threw her arms around his neck, pulling him close and feeling him reciprocate the motion.

 

"I'm so proud of you Jaehwan-ah. I knew you'd make it. I just knew it." Pulling away from him to look up at him, her eyes glistened with unshed tears and she smiled. "Your dreams are finally coming true. I'm so happy for you."

 

"But you know what this means, right? For us?" Jaehwan asked, looking down at her, his voice hitching up as he struggled to control his emotions.

 

Noticing his distress, she let out a sigh, grabbing hold of his shaking hand with a smile. "Come and sit with me. Let's talk."

 

She pulled him to the nearest park bench under the maple tree, sitting herself down and patting the space next to her until he gently lowered himself beside her.

 

"Do you remember the day I confessed to you?"

 

She turned to her side to look up at him with a smile, remembering fondly of the day she had gathered enough courage to finally let her best friend know how she felt. She saw Jaehwan's lips curl up into a small smile and she breathed out in relief.

 

"I rejected you like a rotten potato." Jaehwan answered teasingly, and she was glad her Jaehwan was finally back to his ever-joking self.

 

"It took me three whole months to work up the courage, and you rejected me without one bit of hesitation, you bastard." She laughed at the memory and earned a chuckle from Jaehwan.

 

"I remember exactly what you told me that day," she started, taking Jaehwan's hands into her own and mindlessly playing with his fingers. "That it was your dream to be a singer one day. And that being with you would only hurt me one day when you would need to leave to chase your dreams." Jaehwan's smile slowly disappeared as she continued. "And do you remember what I said to you?"

 

Jaehwan looked down into his lap not wanting to look her in the eye, his breath caught at the back of his throat. After a few moments of silence, he finally responded. "You said you would wait."

 

She giggled at the memory. "I can't believe I actually managed to tell you all that. Isn't it funny how much courage love can give you?"

 

Seeing him with his head still down, she reached out to his shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze.

 

"Hey, look at me."

 

Jaehwan's lifted his head, hoping not to break down the moment he looked into her eyes. The smile that she gave him made his chest tighten.

 

"I remember that moment so clearly. You said you didn't want to hurt me because of your dreams, and I said that it didn't matter and that I would wait. We came into this relationship knowing what would have eventually happened when the time came, Jaehwan-ah. We both knew it was coming."

 

Hearing these words, Jaehwan could no longer hold back, a single tear trickling down his cheek.

 

"But if I become an idol, then what happens to us? I won't be able to see you. They're taking my cell phone away, so I can't contact you. It just wouldn't be fair on you."

 

Reaching over to wipe his lone tear away with her thumb, she continued, "Jaehwan-ah... You know I love you right? And I'm pretty sure you love me too. If I'm patient, you'll come back for me, right?" She smiled at him, placing her hand over his. "I'm not scared. I'll wait."

 

Jaehwan stared as her wordlessly, stunned by how brave she was being for him right now. He reached out for her and pulled her into his embrace, as if his every breath depended on her touch. He felt her arms snake around him, her hands rubbing his back softly whilst breathing into his neck.

 

"Jaehwan-ah. Your dream was to become a singer, and you've finally got a chance to make it come true. Do your best, always be yourself, and make me proud, okay?"

 

When he didn't reply, she pulled away from his embrace and pulled out her cell phone from her purse. Quickly switching on the screen, staring back at her was a picture she saved on her background of the two of them at the amusement park during their first anniversary, both of them biting into the large stick of cotton candy they were holding between them. Smiling, she took note of the time and date that flashed on the screen.

 

"It's currently 3.14pm on Saturday 17th of March 2012," she began. Jaehwan looked down at her, unsure where she was going with this conversation. She continued, "I know we won't be able to see or speak to each other for a while. But every year on this day, I'll wait for you to come. This same bench, under this same maple tree, at the same time. I know it will take time before your company will give you freedom, but until then, I'll wait."

 

Despite the smile she insisted on plastering on her face, the tear that threatened to fall from her eyes cascaded down her cheek.

 

Jaehwan lifted both his hands to hold her face, thumbs brushing away the tears that had fallen. He leaned forward to plant a soft kiss just under her right eye, wishing that he could take them all away.

 

"How could I make you wait?" he muttered into her skin, lowering his lips to skim them across hers. "How can you be so understanding when I'm asking so much from you?"

 

He felt her smile against his lips. "Because you're worth every bit of it," she replied simply.

 

Jaehwan felt his heart constrict, realizing that this woman in front of him loved him with such a passion that she was willing to wait, not knowing when he would return.

 

Overwhelmed with emotion, he leaned forward and closed the gap between them, bringing their lips together in a passionate kiss. They breathed each other in, both knowing it would be the last in a long time.

 

When they heard Jaehwan's phone ring, he held on even tighter, before she pulled away, insisting that he pick up the call.

 

Looking at the phone, he saw the screen flashing with the name Cha Hakyeon, the name of his now bandmate and leader. Lifting the phone to his ear with a sigh, he answered.

 

"Hyung. I'm sorry I'm taking so long. I understand. Yeah, I'll be back really soon. I'll see you back at the practice room." He ended the call quickly, before turning back to her.

 

"Your team must need you for practice? You should get going."

 

She smiled before standing up and slinging her purse onto her shoulder, Jaehwan following behind her wordlessly. Facing each other, there were a thousand unspoken words. What was there to say during a moment like this?

 

Jaehwan initiated the first step forward, enveloping her into his arms and kissing her hair. He felt her arms reach around him in an embrace, her head leaning against his chest for support.

 

"I love you, Lee Jaehwan. Don't ever forget that. 17th March. 3.14pm. I'll be here," he heard her mumbling into his chest.

 

"I love you too. I'll come back for you, I promise. And when I do, I promise I'll make it up to you in every way I possibly can," Jaehwan promised, both to her and to himself.

 

There was no doubt in their minds that he would come back for her, and she sighed contentedly, despite the tight feeling that was creeping up her chest.

 

Minutes passed by before she finally pulled out of his embrace, neither wanting to let go.

 

"I should let you get back to practice," she finally whispered, forcing a smile onto her face for his sake.

 

Jaehwan stepped back, his hands clenched into fists by his sides so he wouldn't reach out for her again.

 

"I'll miss you. I'll do my best, make you proud, and I'll be back. I promise," he said with great resolve.

 

"I'll always be here cheering you on. Lee Jaehwan, fighting," she responded, lifting her fist in a timid cheer.

 

Stepping out of the park, a taxi pulled in front of them at the taxi rank, prompting them that it was time to say goodbye.

 

"Get home safe," Jaehwan said as he opened the door of the back seat for her. He waited for her to slide into the seat before he closed the door behind her.

 

The window slid down, and she motioned with her hand for him to come closer. Lifting her head, she quickly planted a chaste kiss on his lips through the window.

 

"I'll see you soon, okay?" she said with a smile, before directing the taxi driver to her address.

 

As the car slowly pulled away from the kerb, Jaehwan could see her looking back at him through the glass, waving with a sad smile. Jaehwan stood waving, for what felt like an eternity. She was gone.

 

Staring out the window in the taxi on the way to the practice rooms, it was only then that he noticed how cold it was. The only warmth he could feel was from the fluffy scarf she had left wrapped around his neck. Desperately clutching the scarf closer to his chest, he finally let his sobs take over him.