Final

Caught You

"Grandpa, are you sure about fishing today? The fisherman at the dock said the tides are really really high today, and dangerous." You sighed, internally wishing you'd never come. "That's exactly why we're going to do it!" A twinkle was visible in his eye, and a grin crossed his face. You visibly paled, and your grandfather laughed it off. "You'll be glad you came along today, young one. I'm going to show you something special, not even your cousins have seen it!" He turned the steering wheel towards an island, one that was neither near nor far from the mainland.

"Whatever it is, grandpa, it'd better be super special!" You grinned back at him, moving to stand at his side. "It only happens once a year, and you were lucky enough to come visit me during this time, eh?" Chortling, your grandfather picked up a net that lay nearby. "I want you to hold onto this, and throw it out with me later. We're gonna get a big catch today!" Nodding, you gripped the net in your fingers, moving towards the open-air back of the boat.

You watched your grandfather turn off the engine, so the boat would float in its position. "Now, I want you to look for large dark spots in the water. The water here is pretty clean, and you should be able to notice the dark spots. When you see one, don't say anything. Tap my shoulder, and then we'll throw the net together, okay?" You gave him a thumbs up, and started peering at the expanse of sea in front of you. Noticing a dark patch hovering close to the boat, you reached out to tap your grandfather's shoulder.

He snickered, and helped you cast the net. "Hurry, attach the net to this contraption!" You dragged it over and quickly did as your grandfather said. It began reeling in the net, and you felt water splash over your face. Whatever fish you caught, it was strong.

When the net finally reeled in completely, you and grandfather were greeted by the sight of a half fish, half man.

He let out curses that would make a sailor blush, and your grandfather laughed it off. "Well hello again, Mingyu." The said half fish groaned, and retorted, "Old man, I wish you would stop fishing me up every year! There's Hansol, Wonwoo, and even the new guy, Minghao, and you always catch me in your net!" Your grandfather waved a hand at him dismissively, "At least this year I'm accompanied by a pretty girl." Now this caught his attention.

"Well, hello there." He gave you a small smirk, which you couldn't help but blush at. He was pretty darn attractive, and you couldn't look away. "Anyway, old man, could you give me some clothes? I need to put some on, since I assume you're bringing me back to town." A pile of clothes were thrown in his face, and he scoffed. "Hey, dollface. You might want to turn around." You let out a squeak and covered your eyes, facing the opposite direction.

"I'm done, you can look now." You faced him, and you felt the heat rise to your cheeks once again. "Take a picture, it'll last longer." Mingyu moved over, slipping an arm around you waist. "Hey old man, you weren't kidding when you said you were with a pretty girl." He flashed you a cheeky smile, before pulling you a little closer to him.


"Thanks for the yearly vacation, though. I'm getting sick of all the clingy mermaids." Mingyu snuggled into the crook of your neck, as your grandfather smiled. "You seem to be getting pretty cozy with my granddaughter." Mingyu snickered, burying his face deeper in your neck. Letting out a happy sigh, he soon fell asleep. Patting his head, you pulled out your phone to take a selca.

Cute. You mused, as you shoved your phone back into the waterproof bag your grandfather prepared. Watching your grandfather steer the boat back to shore, you shook Mingyu lightly. "Hey, wake up." He stirred, and tugging on your wrist. "Let's go! I can't wait to go back your house again, old man." He yelled over the roaring of the engine.

After your grandfather tied the ship in place, you held onto Mingyu to steady him, he'd barely used his legs in the past year, leading to some instability on his part. Helping him off the boat, you and your grandfather supported him back home. Boy, was your grandfather a strong man. He laid Mingyu down on the sofa, while you went to get a pitcher of water. You heard Mingyu sigh happily, and walked back to the sofa. "Here, water." Handing Mingyu a glass of water you poured, he accepted it, and drank gratefully. "It's good to finally have my legs back, mind helping me walk around this place for a bit?"

As you walked while supporting Mingyu, he nuzzled his cheek to yours, and you smacked him lightly. "Are you trying to re-learn how to use your legs or face? Come on." He gave you a small pout, jutting out his lower lip, but you ignored it. While walking around the room, he conversed with you, talking about his background, and how nearly all mermaids and mermen were forbidden from using their legs as much as possible, whether it be in water, or on the little island in the middle of the sea. For this reason, after your grandfather caught him once, Mingyu pleaded with your grandfather to 'capture' him every year, when the merfolk were allowed to swim closer to the mainland.

He explained that the merfolk were allowed to swim close to the mainland due to the fact that the Siren Festival was being held on that very day. The merfolk had been so frustrated with the lack of being able to swim as freely as they would like, most of the younger generation wanting to be able to communicate with humans. Therefore, King Triton had decreed one day where all mermaids could swim close to the shore every year. If gone un-noticed by fellow merfolk and humans while transforming, the merfolk would be able to join the humans for a night, seeing as how no humans would notice their presence anyway.

Mingyu loved the land, but he didn't want to be banished from the watery kingdom of Atlantis, and neither did he want to lose his friends, nor his family. He said he hadn't particularly found any reason to do so. With that, he winked cheekily at you, telling you you could be his reason for leaving.

You kicked him at the back of his knee.


A couple of hours later, Mingyu was snuggled up to your side, happy sleeping once again. Transformation took a toll on the merfolk, and made them tired for a day or two. Now, Mingyu was extremely tired, due to the lack of transformation practise over the year. It would be worse for his parents, he said, who had not been able to touch dry land for decades.

Even asleep, Mingyu was so handsome. Are all mermen as handsome as him? You sighed, and flinched as Mingyu held you tighter. Mingyu muttered out a few words in his sleep, something about a Wonwoo? Who was that? Snorting, you removed yourself from Mingyu's arms, and went to talk to your grandfather. Your grandfather discussed Mingyu's presence with you, giving you a rough estimate of when the younger boy would be leaving. Nodding, you mentally reminded yourself not to get too attached to the merman lying on your grandfather's couch.

Hearing a strangled yelp, followed by a loud thump, you ran back into the living room, only to see Mingyu sprawled on the floor, trying to sit up. "A little help, please?" He grimaced, and you helped him back onto the sofa. "The Siren Festival is tomorrow, Mingyu. You're going to go back after that, right?" You asked, and he nodded. "I'm not looking forward to it, but I suppose so. Like I said, unless I find a compelling attachment, I won't leave my loved ones behind." Letting him wrap his arms around you, you called out to your grandfather. "Is he usually this clingy?" Mingyu laughed, pressing a kiss to your cheek.

"Only to girls I like."


Mingyu squeezed your hand tightly, before climbing next to you. You let out a scandalized squeal, shoving him lightly. "Hey, this is supposed to be my bed when your grandpa gets me. Since you're here now, you gotta deal with sharing this bed with me." Before you could protest any further, Mingyu wrapped his arms around your waist for probably the hundredth time that day, and pressed his lips to your cheek. "Thanks for spending time with me today." "You're welcome, you dork. I'm just glad you don't reek of fish anymore." Snuggling into Mingyu's chest, it wasn't long before you asleep.

He played with your hair, before thinking to himself, that maybe, just maybe. Maybe you weren't too bad after all.

As a mate, of course.


The next morning, you woke up, only to be greeted by Mingyu's firm chest. His arms were still around your waist, and was snoring lightly. Laughing, you buried your face into his chest. You were slowly starting to fall for the merman sleeping next to you, despite the knowledge that he'd be leaving you this evening. If you returned next year, what would it be like? He'd probably get a pretty mermaid as his girlfriend, one that could out-class you in every possible way.

"What's wrong, precious? You're sighing really loud." Mingyu rubbed his eyes with one hand, his other hand pulling you closer. "Nah, I'm just thinking what it'd be like without you around." Shoving him away lightly, you watched as he laughed. "You're already thinking about missing me? Silly, enjoy your time with me for now. I know I'm going to miss you too." Mingyu's eyes gleamed, as he leaned forward to capture your lips in a sweet kiss.

Your face burned a bright red, and Mingyu flashed you a grin. "I've been waiting to do that since I laid my eyes on you." Snorting, you hid your face in the crook of his neck. "I like you, y'know." He whispered in your ear, letting you feel the heat of his breath.

"I like you too, Mingyu."


Mingyu insisted you spent the entire day with him, playing around in the house, going to eat your lunch together. Your grandfather was overjoyed to see you enjoying your time with Mingyu. Opportunities don't come that often, your grandfather mused, smiling away as he bit into his lunch. Ignoring the fact that the Siren's Festival was this evening, you dragged Mingyu everywhere possible, even going to the extent of buying a couple ring, something that he could keep underwater. Sliding it onto his pinky, he took your hand in his, slipping the ring onto your pinky.

It was a simple silver band, but it meant the world to you, and to Mingyu too.

Heading back to the house to prepare for tonight's festival, Mingyu laced his fingers with yours, proudly showing off the new ring he wore. "Gramps, look at the ring your granddaughter got for me!" He waved your interlocked fingers, and your grandfather let out a hearty laugh. "Looks like you're not the only one who's attached to the other. Well, have fun you two, I'm sitting out again this year." Nodding, Mingyu dragged you back upstairs to get dressed.

"Look, see? Your grandpa bought me a blue flowy coat thing for the Siren's Festival, because we celebrate it like the Japanese do."  Mingyu began slipping his shirt off, and you let out a small squeak, before turning around. "You silly, it's not like you haven't seen a male's body before, right? Anyway, I'm done." You turned around to see Mingyu in his 'flowy coat thing', and you laughed. "You look adorable, I'll get changed and see you later." Slipping out the door before he could protest, you bit back a smile.

You'd forgotten he'd be leaving when the festival ended.


The Siren's Festival was loud, lively, and filled with gorgeous booths. Hands held tightly, you and Mingyu weaved through the crowd, hoping to find somewhere slightly less crowded. Gasping for air, you let Mingyu drag you around the entire festival, occasionally whining when you wanted to look at the particular booth you just passed. Mingyu ignored your whines, dragging you to a much more deserted place than you expected.

"Mingyu, where are you taking me?" You finally yelled at him, as he came to abrupt stop. "I hate to end things early, but I really have to go. My parents.. If the merfolk see me now, it's over for me. I'm sorry." He let go of your hand, turning away from you. "Please leave, I don't want to make things worse." He refused to look at you, despite your pleas. "You promised, Mingyu. You told me you'd stay!" You latched your arms around his waist, letting out a strangled sob. "I shouldn't have been here. I need to go, and I'm sorry." He removed your arms from his waist, walking towards the ocean.

"You need to know, that whatever we had.. It was all real, at least for me. I genuinely liked you, and I, I screwed everything up for you." He turned his head to look at your expression, and it was one that mirrored his. Tears were running down your face, your fists rubbing at your eyes, trying to soak up what they could.

"Mingyu?" A soft feminine voice called his name, and Mingyu faced the figure, a gasp slipping past his lips. "What, what are you doing here, Nayeon? You shouldn't be here." Said female, Nayeon, tightened her fists. "Mingyu, who is she? What are you doing here with her?" Nayeon's voice was laced with anger, and she looked close to slapping the male in front of her. "Nayeon, she's not important, she's just-"

"So I'm not important now? Is this why you said you didn't want to make things worse, you didn't want your parents to find out that you were fooling around with me behind her back, while you lied to me this entire time?" You clenched your fists, mimicking Nayeon's previous action. "Yes, Nayeon, I'm assuming, you don't have to worry. I was his one day fantasy, and he's going to return to you now."

With that, you left the pair in your dust. You heard Mingyu calling out for you, Nayeon's rage-filled screams, and you decided it would be for the best not to turn around. Feet taking you back to the place you'd been calling home for a week, you ran right into your grandfather's loving arms. He comforted you, patting your back, telling you everything was going to be fine.

Even if your heart was broken into little bits.


Your bags were packed the next day, and you couldn't wait to leave. Looking rather zombie-fied, you staggered down the stairs, luggage in hand. "I'm gonna drive you to the pier in my little cart, okay?" Nodding, you boarded the 'little cart', which was motorized. It was more of a sort of tractor, really. As you hopped off the tractor thing, you yanked your luggage out of the vehicle. Your grandfather smiled at you, before giving you a tight hug. "I'm going to miss you, kiddo. Come back and visit your old grandpa again soon?" You smiled, "Of course, grandpa." He patted your head, and gave you a light shove. "Alright now, go home to your parents."

About to board the boat, you picked up your luggage and handed it to one of the nearby crew, who loaded it for you. Sighing, you reached for the stair railing to start boarding the boat.

"Wait!" A panting figure yelled, a tall blue coat flowing in the wind. Your eyes widened in shock, and you gripped the railing in your hand. You weren't interested in seeing him, not here, not now. Turning away, you took the first step, left leg on the first stair. "No, stop!" Yelping, you found a pair of strong arms around your waist, yanking you away from the boat. "You can't leave, not just yet! You have to listen to me, please!" Struggling in his arms, you watched as your grandfather reached out for your hands, smiling. "Listen to him, child." You sighed, stopping your struggle. "What do you want, Mingyu."

"I'm coming with you." You spun around, gasping. "What?" He flashed you the same grin you fell in love with. "I'm going with you, going home with you. I finally found my reason not to stay anymore." Pulling you back into his embrace, Mingyu whispered in your ear, with such affection, that you swore you'd melt. "I love you, so much." You wrapped your arms around his waist, before beating his back.

"How could you? Mingyu, you can't just leave everyone, and-" He placed a finger on your lips, cutting you off. "My parents only want to marry me off so they get a higher status, Nayeon was the result of that, an arranged marriage. I didn't go home last night, I knew what sort of chaos would happen after. I hid in your grandfather's apartment after I fought with her, and stayed the night there. He forgot to wake me up, but it's okay. I have nothing left at what used to be my home." Mingyu placed a kiss on your forehead.

"You're my home now, and that's why I'm coming with you. Anywhere I go with you is home to me." You smiled at his words, and were about to respond.

"Err, hate to interrupt but are both of you coming then? We need to set sail before the waves get too choppy." A sheepish crewman was rubbing the nape of his neck, and you laughed. "Let's go, Mingyu. We can deal with it after I introduce you to my parents." He smiled back at you, following you up the boat.

As you took a seat inside, the sunlight flashed at Mingyu's hand. He was still wearing your couple ring. Your heart soared with joy, and you tugged him down to sit next to you. "Y'know, my grandfather is a great fisher and all, but I'm even better than him at fishing, want to know why?" Mingyu tilted his head to the side, and you grinned.

"Because I got the best catch of them all. I caught you."

Pressing your lips to Mingyu, you knew you'd found your happily ever after.


[A/N: That's a wrap! This story featured a Nayeon, but she's not necessarily Twice's Nayeon, although I do love her. Thank you for reading, and make sure to check out some of my other works!]