[in your orbit]

negative space
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry that this is so short! I'm worried it's slightly disappointing haha

 

It is especially lonely, Donghae had realised through the years, when you are the sun. You only interact on special occasions, and even then it is kept strictly professional.

Reports flood in on the several planets, and the solar systems in the galaxy and their respective planets; Donghae needs to keep up to date – it’s a rule. Although he is relatively young, he has immense power. Knowing the secrets of the universe is a bit exhausting, Donghae thinks, head swimming in the clouds. He still feels a little bit lost in the universe, and does not feel fit enough for the job.

Today is a special day, however. It is one of the few times his path crosses with Earth’s only moon – what the humans apparently call a solar eclipse. Every time he sees the moon it is engraved with him, even in the billions of years of their existence. The moon has so much to tell him each time, so young and so genuine that it makes Donghae’s heart soar. The words that come out of his mouth, playful yet reflective of his kind nature, are something to look forward to.

Donghae waits patiently for the moon, ready for anything. He knows the moon will arrive on time, as he always does. His heart starts to beat faster in his chest, nervous, even though they have met so many times before. It is still absolutely thrilling every single time.

And there he is. The moon, and his ebony hair beginning to glimmer in the sunlight as he comes into view. He rotates slowly, or at least relatively slowly, until he faces Donghae. When he looks up, a smile crosses his features, and Donghae thinks he is the most luminous man in the universe.

“Hello, Hyukjae,” Donghae greets dutifully. “How are they?”

“The people on Earth?” Hyukjae asks back, and Donghae confirms with a nod as if this is the first time they have discussed this topic. “They continue to invent and explore even more than before! It’s all so fascinating, really,” Hyukjae replies. His voice is light, and Donghae feels a warmth radiating from him. It is one thing when he gets reports, but the passion that Hyukjae holds in him is truly admirable. This is why Donghae looks forward to the moments where he and Hyukjae finally cross paths. “And how about you, Donghae? I’m sure it must be awfully hard being the sun.”

Donghae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter