001

lonely hearts and other stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

(1)

Song Ji Hyo harbors a distaste towards bars. Loud music and a throng of people dancing crazily while sandwiching others have never been her thing.

An atrocious break-up is all it takes for her to change her mind. (What possibly could be worse than a boyfriend of two years cheating on you with one of your closest friends? Not to mention that he’s been doing that for the last six months without any sign of remorse.)

She’s done sitting at home sobbing her eyes out while her ex-boyfriend is out and about with some other girl. Hasn’t she already been doing that for the past few months?

(1.5)

Kim Jong Kook has never been one to believe in love at first sight and yet he felt his world shifting at the sight of her.

It’s a case that Jae Suk is taking and she happens to be the paralegal assistant from the other law firm assigned to this case. Jong Kook drops by the conference room to hand Jae Suk some paper related to another case they’re working on. That’s when he sees her sitting there across the table, jotting down notes while chewing on her lower lip. She looks up from her papers, naturally curling her lips into a smile and gives him a firm nod as a greeting. She’s beautiful and has this radiant inner glow he can’t quite put a finger on.  Ironically, his brain seems to scream ‘she is the one’ with a loud blaring siren when he smiles back and leaves the room before he’s sought out of air.

-

Due to the case, she comes every other Wednesday at promptly 3 p.m. Jong Kook spends most of his week preparing speeches, practicing them in front of the mirror just to ask her out. He always chickens away last minute. The one time he dares to make a move, he discovers she’s got a boyfriend (he was technically one step away from the pair exchanging hugs and kisses).

That’s enough of a sign to show him how doomed he is.

-

The case is closed. She stops coming. His feelings don’t. He doesn’t know why he’s so keen on chasing after ghosts. It’s not that they exist anyway.

-

He doesn’t expect to see her again; not in this big city that is packed with people, buzzling with noise.

He’s at his favorite café, finishing his report with a black coffee resting on the table. The two people in back seem to be in the middle of a heated argument, breaking the eerily silence of the café. He turns his head out of curiosity, only to see her.

“Let’s just end it here.” She says, her voice cracking and failing to keep up with the brave face she’s putting on. “I knew we would probably not make it to forever but the thought of you sleeping with my friend behind my back never once crossed my mind.” She rises from her seat, grabs her purse and walks away without another look back.

Jong Kook watches as her petite figure waves down a cab and disappears into the crowd. For a brief moment, the idea of going after her crosses his mind. ‘If it is meant to be, we are bound to meet again’, he thinks to himself as he goes back to typing his report with an inaudible sigh.

 

(2)

After three shots of vodka, everything starts to blur right in front of her eyes. Ji Hyo’s swirling around in her bar stool, a drunken smile reaching her lips. She doesn’t feel that constricting pain in her chest. Instead, she feels light and hollow.

Suddenly, her eyes meet his from across the room. He’s leaning against the wall, raising his drink to his lips all the while locking his eyes with hers. It’s funny how he’s the only one she sees now even if the bar is packed with people. Normally, she would have ignored his piercing stare and him altogether. Today isn’t one of those days so she slips off the stool, puts her drink down and marches straight over to him.

His eyes never leave hers and the half-grin is still plastered on his face by the time she’s made it to where he’s standing.

“Shouldn’t it be the other way around?” She asks, flashing him an easy smile. “Shouldn’t a guy make his first move?”

“Not if the girl is daring enough to do so first.” He replies with a hint of amusement in his voice.

Ji Hyo snickers at his response, snatching the drink from his grip and knocks back its remaining in a record of time. “What now?”

He takes the glass back from her and studies her for a moment. They’re most definitely not in the state to make decisions at this point of time but then again, they’re not sober enough to deem it as a possible disaster either.

“You want to get out of here?” He asks, pulling her closer with a smirk.

“I thought you would never ask.” Her lips are only inches away when she shoves him slightly away and heads to the exit.

(2.5)

He’s had a ty day at work, his colleagues are all too exhausted to join him at the bar and his love life is non-existent. He thinks one’s life can’t get worse than that. He gulps down the liquid that’s burning his throat as if it were fresh water he needs to keep himself hydrated.

His head is pounding when he sees her, sitting on a stool bar, staring straight back at him. A laugh almost makes it out his mouth. Pure coincidence or fate, he isn’t sure. He hasn’t seen her for months after the last time. Truth to be told, he was all about letting go and here she is turning his life upside down by just locking eyes with him.

The corner of his lips tug up a little when he sees her slip off the stool, put her drink down and march straight over to him. This time, he’s not going to walk away.

(3)

He pushes her against the door the moment it closes with a light ‘click’. His lips crash into hers as she wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

A moan escapes her lips as his tongue slips into , exploring every corner of it. She kisses him with force, because tonight she wants to feel wanted. Tonight, she wants to forget.

Her hands start ing his shirt while he helps her out of her mini-skirt. He starts tracing circles on her thigh, giving her light kisses on her shoulders. She shivers under his touch, craving for more. Just when he’s ripped off his jeans, she flings herself onto him, feeling his hot breath against her neck.

“Bedroom.” She manages out of breath.

(4)

The tingling sun rays sweeping through the curtains shake her from her sleep. Ji Hyo snaps her eyes open just to find herself in someone’s bedroom- . She covers with her hand to strangle the muffled scream that escapes her lips.

The memories of last night and every single thing that led to it came flooding back. The worst thing of waking up is remembering the thing you were so desperately trying to forget the night before. Ji Hyo slips off the bed and goes ransacking for something decent to wear. (She can’t possibly wear the dress the night before. It’s appallingly short and tight.)

Her brain is screaming of how she’s just made the biggest mistake of her life as she buttons up a white oversized shirt she found in the closet. Funny how she thought sleeping with another man could erase the existence of her ex-boyfriend.

She writes him a quick note (‘Thanks for last night and the shirt’), sticks it onto his nightstand and hastily leaves the apartment (almost tripping and falling in the hall). Ji Hyo feels like

Please log in to read the full chapter