Twenty One.

Always Home With You

Fluff. hehe :)


 

• • •


 

Sweat trickled down a certain girl's face as she dribbled down the court, quickly catching a glimpse of the old and run-down scoreboard that was pasted along the newly decorated gym walls.
 

Blue and yellow with casual strips of white; A series of balanced shades that decorated the interior of the elite school they were currently playing at. Maybe it was the colour of the school's gym that managed to hype the star player, pushing her past her usual effort and into something more.
 

Blue, the colour reminded Seulgi of the photography student she had been keeping her eyes on lately. Although she hadn't had a great look at the girl's face from constantly being covered with her flashy, trendy baseball caps, Seulgi always found herself wanting to see her more and more. Though the stranger's face was unknown, the atmosphere she gave off was addicting. She left Seulgi craving.

 

Convincing herself that the girl was hiding somewhere among the crowd, Seulgi decided to show off. Speeding pass who she noted was the point guard of the opposite team, Seulgi was in for a break-away. Ignoring the intense burning sensation of her overworked calves, she made a run; Carefully counting her steps before finally jumping for a lay up. A proud smile made its way on Seulgi's lips when the overwhelming cheers from the crowd drowned the whole gymnasium.
 

It was a little odd, considering that they were merely visitors of the school, yet they managed to convert a number of people to their side, along the way, evenly balancing the spectators on both sides of the bleachers.


 

"Twenty-two! Hurry!" Home's player number thirty-four quickly got ahold of the ball before directing her team into her chosen play. But seeing that Dani was onto her, the girl quickly raised her balled fist in the air, needing assistance quickly.


 

 

The shot clock was rapidly coming to a close end much to their advantage; lesser chance of their opponent scoring.

 


 

A vertically gifted girl immediately moved to the needed spot, preventing Dani from following the point guard, which passed the player with ease.
 

But they forgot one thing. That only meant that Seulgi's opportunity on turning over the score heightened on a greater scale.
 

Seulgi rushed to the other side, rapidly taking her defensive position. Shuffling her trained feet with one arm raised and the other, tightly gripping on her wrinkled shorts; she was ready to stop her opponent from scoring a basket.

 


 

A smirk flashed on her serious face the moment she saw an opportunity to steal the ball. The player of the opposite team stood frozen, pupils in panic at her players’ complete lockdown on offence. Unfortunately, she was unable to locate an available member from her currently rotating teammates. Seulgi internally laughed before aggressively ripping the basketball from the other girl's hands.






 

Wrong move, buddy.’






 

Seulgi mentally grinned at the player's mistake.
 

With a quick glance at the scoreboard, she noticed that there was only a few seconds left; the thought of a solid buzzer beater send jitters to her stomach.
 

She quickly jogged just a few feet outside the three-point arch before tactically shooting the ball.


 

'Should be enough' Seulgi mentally calculated the power she used, and the approximate distance she had to make the basket. Although she wasn't the smartest when it came to Physics, her mental calculation in basketball was rarely inaccurate. And to no one's surprise, the sound of a basket splash echoed throughout the whole gym, followed by an excessively loud buzzer, indicating the end of the quarter .



 

The game finished with the visitor's victory against Cube High. 103-98.






 

Seulgi's team huddled in excitement along with their obviously pleased coach, flashing an evidently happy expression.


 

"Well done, girls. As always, great finish, Seulgi." The latter playfully winked at her coach before stretching her fist, ready to lead the team for their final cheer of the game.

"Three cheers for Cube: Hey, hey, hey!" With that, the team neatly lined up, congratulating each other for the great game.

"Great job, Cappie!" Seulgi's teammate, Moonbyul congratulated.


 

"Still undefeated, eh?" The opposing team's captain, who Seulgi remembered to be 'Momo' came and shook the girl's hand, a much memorized sportsmanship act, especially within the circle of captains.


 

Yeah, you almost had us earlier though." Seulgi laughed. She had always been a great sport; despite her elite status in the world of basketball, the girl remained humble as ever.


 

"Thanks! I’ll catch you later. My team needs me. See you!" With that, Momo ran to the other direction, joining the small crowd formed by her teammates, as well as their loving supporters.






 

Left behind, Seulgi gathered her left items before walking to her car. She could not wait to take a cold shower, and change out of her drenched jersey. Although according to others, Seulgi looked the hottest in her current state, she was feeling a bit self conscious. She enjoyed smelling like her tropical vanilla body wash, unlike her now sweat-covered self. She might be a captain with overflowing charms in court, but beyond the lines, she was just Seulgi.  


 

Seulgi Kang, an adorable cinnamon roll that very much appreciated pleasurable scents.






 

Seulgi walked out of the gym, taking a deep breath of relief as soon as her feet made contact with the rough gravel. As a captain, she carried a great amount of burden on her back, needing to always lead the team of rowdy girls and boys. She loved her team, that's an obvious fact, but sometimes, they could be quite a handful.

 

With overworked calves, and adrenaline rushing through her body , Seulgi decided to take a walk around the foreign school. It was already nine in the evening, which meant that the high school was clear of students; just the great campus, expensive looking building, and freshly mowed field.

 

Seulgi jumped in fright when the sound of shutters dawned upon her. Suddenly alert, she was ready to fight for her dear life.

 



 

Who the hell—?







 

Seulgi looked around for the nearest possible weapon she could use. Settling with a rock that was casually placed beside the classroom door, she was ready to go. She could run, but she might collapse of exhaustion.


 

Seulgi quickly picked up the rock, ready to use what was left of her energy when a soft yet husky female voice interrupted the silent air.

  





 

"Whoa, there! Oh my god!" The girl shrieked, ready to run for her life as well.
 

"You scared me!" They both said in unison.
 

"What do you mean I scared you? I was just taking pictures! You're the one carrying a rock like a lunatic, ready to knock me out into a comatose!"
 

"That's your fault! Who in their right minds take pictures at night?"
 

"Photographers, duh?" She could see the stranger's eyes roll, making her feel even more foolish for arguing. Deciding to ignore the remark, she settled with keeping mum.


 




 

With somewhat calm nerves, Seulgi finally took the time to look at the sassy girl in front of her.






 

Short. Definitely short.
 

Golden brown hair with a messy fringe.






 

She's cute though.’ She noted.






 

Adorable round glasses.

 

A backpack that looked just about half her size.
 

Trendy vintage overalls.
 

Plain white sweater.

 

And a pair of dirty black high top converse.

 

The unique item that caught Seulgi's attention the most was the girl's blue camera.








 

Are a lot of girls into the colour blue nowadays? She wondered.





 

A blue camera hanging through an odd Olaf strap.






 

'I like warm hugs.' Written boldly in black with an image of Olaf at the bottom, offering hugs? To Seulgi, it just looked like the snowman's twig arms refused to come down.




 

What is she, twelve?
 

What a weird girl..







 

"I can see you checking me out, you know." Seulgi almost scoffed at the cocky tone.

 

"You wish. Why would I check out a little girl?” In order to further prove her point, the athlete moved a step closer, eyeing the stranger. “Are you lost little one? Can't find your parents?" Seulgi continued to mock in retaliation.





 

With the stranger looking very much offended, Seulgi grinned in victory.





 

"Whatever. So cocky just because you won earlier." Seulgi could see the girl click her tongue in irritation.





 

I'll take that as a compliment. Seulgi grinned in satisfaction.






 

"Well, I don't know about you but I'm going home." Seulgi left before the girl could retort.  


 

She unknowingly smiled at their interactions. It’s been awhile since she had met a girl who was not fazed by her charms. It was surely something new.

 

She was weird for sure; But the interesting kind of weird, and Seulgi liked that. Now it's up to fate's decision on whether to let their paths cross again.
 

Seulgi secretly hoped to meet her again.






 

Much like she always did, Seulgi the radio as she got in the car. The tune of what she recognized to be Taylor Swift's Enchanted blasted through her car's speakers making her laugh at the irony.






 

I was indeed enchanted to meet you, Miss stranger.



 

***



 

Another day also meant another tiring practice for Seulgi’s team.

As their school climbed up the chart for constantly defeating other teams, their practices were also getting much harder, and longer.  
 

It has been three and a half hours of constant running when their coach finally called it a day.  




 

"Okay. That's it for today guys! Great work. Another practice tomorrow. Same time, don't be late!" Coach Min's strict voice echoed throughout the whole gym, never failing to send chills down his players' spines.


 


 

"Oh, and Seulgi, can I see you for a second?" Baffled, Seulgi jogged to her coach's side.

"I'll just cut to the chase. Listen, I heard you're standing at a forty-four in English this semester? You know that players cannot have a failing mark in class, or else I'll be forced to take you off the team."

 

"But coach—" Seulgi was about to protest when his right hand gestured her to stop.

 

"As a coach, it's a rule that I must follow. Studies first. I would never want you off the team, Seulgi, you're my best player; that's why I hired an English tutor for you."

"But coach—"


 

"Seulgi, it's either you get your crap together and get above 50 percent in class, or you're off the team. Your choice."


 

"I understand.. Thank you, coach."


 

"Great. Your first session will start tomorrow at four. It's two hours every other day. Then you can join us for practice afterwards."


 

The coach gave his best player a pat on the shoulder, before finally leaving the gym.


 

Seulgi allowed herself collapse on the floor, still panting heavily from the harsh practice.






 

We've come this far. I'm not about to fail, and disappoint the whole team.





 

Repeating a few encouraging words to herself, Seulgi sat up, fully determined.

 

She will work hard to pass the class and make sure to take her team to championships.



 

I can do this!




 

***



 

It's 3:55 on the clock and Seulgi continued to wait for her tutor. Bored out of her wits, she opened up her notebook to the very back page for some quick doodles.
 

After her eight doodle of a bear, fourth of a random sketch and first drawing of their grouch English teacher, the girl finally heard shuffling footsteps nearing her way.




 

"Oh, you're here already?" Seulgi recognized the raspy voice, making her look up in curiosity.
 

"You!?" Seulgi asked in surprise. "You know how to speak English? You look just as dumb as me!" Wendy was deeply offended by the girl's insult, forcing her to defend her already hurt pride.
 

"For your information, I was born and raised in Canada."

 

"Oh."

 

"Anyway, let's get started. It's gonna be a long two hours, after realizing that out of everyone, it just had to be you I'm tutoring."
 

"I didn't even know you're a student here. I thought you attended Cube High."

 

"Not like you acknowledged my existence at all, anyway." Wendy responded with her fluent Canadian accent.





 

If only she knew.





 

"What did you say?" The clueless bear was even more confused now.

 

"Nothing. I said 'now you know'." Seulgi narrowed her eyes in suspicion before relaxing her brows, ready to get some work done.
 

"So what exactly are you having troubles with?" Wendy's voice changed into a much serious one.
 

"Uh, all of them? I guess.."
 

"Are you serious?" Wendy asked, in disbelief. She knew that Seulgi was a bit on the slow side, but she didn't know that the girl was this bad.

 

"Yeah.."
 

"No wonder you're at a 44.."

 

"Hey! no need to shove it in my face.." Seulgi pouted making Wendy internally drown in feels.

 

"Let's start with short stories. I'll read it to you and you follow along with your copy, okay? If you have any words you're not quite sure of, just circle it or something, then we'll go over it after. Sounds good?"

 

"Yeah.." Seulgi could only nod foolishly at the girl's authoritative voice.






 

Maybe she really isn't twelve..





 

The first story was actually fairly decent. Seulgi was able to understand and summarize the tale. She was also able to answer all the questions that Wendy had given. Only a few words kept her stuck, but it wasn't anything too complicated. Just words like: naive, boisterous, and dismay. But being the intelligent girl that her tutor was, she was able to get a better understanding of the words, casually repeating it in order to completely etch each word in her memory.




 

"Now let's work on your pronunciation." It's been approximately forty minutes since they've started and Seulgi was doing better than expected. From what Wendy had observed, the girl in front of her was probably failing due to the lack of sleep, and rest; hence, the reason why she was continuously dozing off in her classes.

 

"I'm good at that, excuse me." The tiny piece of ego that Seulgi had left automatically defended her.

 

"Yeah right.."






 

"Watch me.


 

I’m so in love with you

And I hope you know

Darling your love is more than worth it's weight in gold

We've come so far my dear

Look how we've grown

I wanna stay with you until we're gray and old

Just say you won't let go

Just say you won't let go"



 

Seulgi was able to flaunt her hidden musical talent and pull off a flawless pronunciation of the English song.




 

"Um, wow.."

 

"See? I told you I can pronounce English words well." The taller of the two flashed a proud smile before resting her back on the stiff, and fairly uncomfortable plastic chair.



 

Wendy could feel her ears heat up at the replaying image of the charming bear serenading her.

Speechless, she coughed in embarrassment.


 

"What? Was I better than you expected?" Seulgi playfully wiggled her brows.






 

Truthfully, she was way beyond what Wendy had expected. But of course, she would never outright admit it to the girl.





 

"You wish!"

 

"But your cheeks tell me otherwise." Seulgi's killer smirk slowly formed its way on her slightly reddened lips.

 

"Shut up and do some work!" Wendy tried her best to sound serious but in reality, she looked more adorable in Seulgi's eyes.

 

"Yes, ma'am! Right away." Seulgi winked in a flirty manner before reviewing her notes, switching from an undeniable player, to a serious hardworking Seulgi within a blink of an eye.





 

Wendy couldn't help but stare in awe at Seulgi's unnerved and charmingly focused look. The former could see the captain's orbs move from word to word as she went on with the story, and she looked effortlessly beautiful.  

Maybe a little too striking for Wendy's liking.

 

 

She managed to stopped her flourishing admiration for the girl by distracting herself; writing side notes about the future topics, and units that she would have to go over with Seulgi.





 

Afternoons spent with Seulgi.


 

No plan had ever sounded so good.

 



 

'With Seulgi'


 

Yes. Definitely.





 

• • •




 

It's been four months of tutoring Seulgi and the latter’s grades had improved immensely. With the help from Wendy, the varsity captain was able to understand, and focus better in her classes. Her motivation to study also heightened greatly.

 

Wendy was a miracle worker, to put it simply.
 

Everything was going according to plan.




 




 

It was a Monday afternoon which meant that Wendy was off her tutoring duty, and instead, was seen walking around the field, photographing everything beautiful in her eyes, with her treasured blue camera.
 

She could not bite back a smile as she had just snapped a picture of a slightly chubby, and quite geeky, freshman with a confused look on his face, as he stared blankly at his dark blue and purple psychology textbook.






 

He's adorable.





 

"Hey! Wendy, right?" An unfamiliar girl shyly approached her way.


 

The taller girl was wearing a loose white soccer jersey paired with a black knee high compression socks; shin guards slightly visible through the cloth, along with a pair of muddy, red cleats.



 

"Yes? Can I help you?" The latter recognized the stranger as Jeongyeon, an popular junior known for her undeniable appeal among women.


 

She was undoubtedly alluring. Finely carved jawline, and captivating brown eyes. Wendy could feel herself almost ogle at the girl's unbelievable features.

 

Her hands gripped onto her camera tighter, fingers itching to capture the beauty before her eyes.





 

"I'm Jeongyeon by the way." She formally introduced.

 

"Wendy."
 

"So, nice weather eh?" She awkwardly started a small talk.
 

"You could say so. Perfect time to challenge my luck with my upcoming portfolio. What about you?" Wendy smoothly flowed through the subject.

 

"The girls and I are just taking a break. We've had a rough two hours." Wendy knew that Jeongyeon, or the women's soccer team, to be exact, were busy conditioning for their future games. Her eyes unconsciously wandered to the group of soulless girls sprawled out on the grassy field, not paying any mind to their dirtied clothing.

 

"Must be hard." Wendy sympathized.
 

"Kind of. We have it easy compared to the basketball team though. They work twice as hard as we do."





 

Basketball team..


 

Seulgi..





 

"I didn't know." Wendy's mind suddenly pictured and image of the exhausted captain. Four hours of practice and never ending drills. The shorter suddenly felt the need to take care of Seulgi, wanting the assurance that the hard working leader was taking a good care of herself.
 

"That's why I've always admired Seulgi. To be able to lead a team like that, it would take real dedication and patience."

 

"Seulgi really is amazing.." Wendy unknowing smiled at the thought of a focused Seulgi Kang, with her eyes never once leaving her notes, constantly going over the foreign words until each letter and its meaning slowly carved itself in her mind.
 

"You know her?" Jeongyeon's head turned towards Wendy at the speed of light, after hearing the unexpected information.
 

"Yes. She's my tutee."
 

"Wait, really?”
 

"Yeah." Wendy smiled.
 

"How is she?" The latter knew the question held a deeper meaning than it seemed.

 

"Really good. Very dedicated." Wendy vaguely answered.
 

"Are you close with her?" The glint of hope in Jeongyeon's eyes glimmered brighter.

 

"Not, really.." Wendy awkwardly looked away.
 

"Ah. But don't you think she's cute?" Jeongyeon knowingly asked, nudging Wendy's side.
 

"She really is.. She's incredible. Even way beyond what's shown on court." Wendy smiled unconsciously, making Jeongyeon nod in approval.
 

"I like you. You're adorable, Wendy. Keep being you and she'll come around." Jeongyeon patted Wendy's shoulders before jogging back to her resting team.


 

 

 

But not before turning around to give Wendy a teasing wink and a wave of hand goodbye.
 

The soccer player gleefully jogged to the bench, an image of Wendy flashing into her mind.





 

You chose well, Seulgi-ah. I approve. She mentally noted.




 

Wendy’s definitely one of those irresistible girls that's beautiful inside and out. She’s one of a kind.




 

• • •





 

"Okay everyone, gather up!" Assistant coach, Kim, ordered in which everyone gladly obliged.
 

"New uniforms are being purchased. Is anyone interested in changing their number?"


 

 

A few hands rose to the air, including Seulgi.


 

 

"Wait, really?" Coach Min voiced out everyone's thoughts. For all the years that he had mentored Seulgi, the girl never once had any desire in replacing her possessed number.

 

"Yes coach. I'd like to change it to number 21." Seulgi smiled like it was nothing, but everyone knew that there was more than what met the eye.

 

"Why 21?" Moonbyul asked. She was always the nosy one.

 

"Just because? Change is good sometimes." Seulgi casually answered, shrugging in nonchalance.
 

"Yeah.. right.." Moonbyul nodded in suspicion but nonetheless, accepted the response.


 

"Okay then.. Kang is now number 21." Assistant coach Kim then wrote down a few more players' requests before dismissing everyone.






 

Seulgi was about to walk out of the gym when the unwanted view that is Eric Nam appeared before her eyes.

 

She didn’t hate him, nor did she like him. He was a decent boy, aside from the fact that he had always been a little rude, and arrogant towards Seulgi.






 

"Kang, stay away from my Wendy."


 

 

Seulgi should have seen it coming but nevertheless, was still surprised by his threat.


 

"Your Wendy? Since when was she yours?" Seulgi fired back. She knew for a fact that Wendy was definitely single. She even had Jeongyeon confirm it, as the girl got closer to Wendy after their brief interaction in the field.

"I've been courting her for a while." He confidently answered.


 

"And considering she's still single, we can all see how that's going for you." Seulgi smirked. She wasn't gonna back down. Not with this one.




 

Not when it came to Wendy.




 

"Did you just-" He glared intensely, but Seulgi was nowhere close to being fazed.

 

"And so?" Her right brow rose.

 

"Wanna place a bet?" He challenged. Seulgi gulped in panic. She didn't like where he was going.
 

"What bet?" She didn't want to appear cowardly so she went along with his foolish proposal.
 

"Just a little basketball fun. If I win, back off. But if you win, I'll leave her alone." He smirked in satisfaction.

 

"Are you out of your mind? I'm not placing a bet on Wendy!" She shoved him by the shoulders, anger visible on her face. He stumbled a few steps back but the smug look on his face remained.


 

"Like I said, if you win, I'll leave Wendy alone. Her little heart wouldn't have to go through the trouble of rejecting me all the time. She must feel burdened for turning me down all those times. She seemed stressed out. You know how her soft heart can only take so much." The grin on his face widened, being able to manipulate Seulgi into slowly falling for his proposal.


 

"What do you say, Kang? Wouldn't you just love to save your damsel in distress?" He teasingly went on, irritating Seulgi deeply.

 

"Screw off!" She shoved him farther, when he stepped her way. His sinister smile made her worried for Wendy. "Okay, I'll take it."
 

"Good. Looks like Wendy's knight in shining armour is about to die saving her." Eric chuckled mockingly. "Tonight at eight, Kang. Don't be late. You wouldn't want Wendy to end up in my arms, would you?" He pushed on.


 

"You.. are going down." Seulgi venomously muttered under her breath, her fist balled in fury.
 

"I don't think so. Looks like you've forgotten that not even you could defeat me." He ridiculed before walking away.

 

"Bastard." Seulgi couldn't help but slam her fist against the filthy concrete wall.







 

"Just watch, Nam. Just wait."





 

Seulgi wasted no time and began warming up. Heading back to the gym, she picked up a ball and began going over her practiced drills.




 

She was undoubtedly exhausted.





 

Her practice was bad enough, and now she had to run some more, topped by her game against Eric.
 

But her will to save Wendy from him was far stronger than the pain from her overworked muscles.






 

For Wendy.’





 

Seulgi repeated, slowly gaining strength and inspiration.






 

• • •





 

It was eight o'clock and the gym was packed with spectators.

 

Seulgi wasn't sure how the word got around, but she wasn't expecting this big of a crowd.

 

Actually, she wasn't expecting a crowd at all.






 

Must be Eric's doings.





 

The horn rang out indicating that the game was ready to start.

 

Eric stepped forward and the crowd cheered wildly for the popular boy.
 

But Seulgi wasn't expecting the viewers to be a tad bit louder when she made her way to the center of the court.
 

The two positioned for a jump ball. Although, it was a one-on-one game, each player had one assistant to claim the ball after it had been hit.

 

Amber for Eric, and Moonbyul for Seulgi.




 

The referee blew his whistle blatantly before tossing the ball up in the air.




 

Each spectator’s heart began pounding loudly.




 

Especially Wendy’s.






 

Her hands clasped tightly against her chest, inwardly praying to heaven that Seulgi wins against Eric.

 

Although she knew fully well that that was close to being impossible.

 

The boy reigns over the basketball community. Not a single soul had beaten him.


 

Everyone knew it.


 

But Wendy hoped. She prayed.






 

'Seulgi, please.'



 

• • •




 

The stocky referee blew his whistle with the remaining fifteen seconds on the clock.
 

It was a personal call.







 

Foul.

 

On Seulgi.






 

"Foul, White. Two shots." The whole crowd gasped dramatically, giving more anxiety to the crowd favourite's chest.

 

Eric flashed a smug grin before standing proudly just a few inches behind the bolded foul line.






 

Dirty bastard!’





 

Seulgi mentally cursed. She knew the boy played her dirty. He purposely landed badly for the sake of a wrong call.

 

The mono lidded girl wanted to protest but she knew that would just land her another technical foul. One more and she's automatically disqualified.
 

Another sound of the whistle echoed through the silent gym with everyone silently praying for the boy to miss.


 

"Two." The referee passed the ball to Eric, bouncing it lightly.


 

The boy palmed the ball, his clammy hands adjusting to the size before going in for the free basket.

 


 

In.

 


 

A few people cheered for the boy's flawless shot.







 

94-94.






 

Some were trembling of nerves, grasping the hem of their shirts tightly. The score was tied and the boy had clear advantage.

 

Everyone secretly hoped for a miracle. For Eric Nam's untouchable free-throw streak to finally kiss itself goodbye.






 

But it's never that easy.






 

Two dribbles.

 

Another tight grip.





 

In.


 

95-94.






 

Eric Nam was now on lead, showing a victorious smile.




 

13 seconds.




 

The crowd murmured because they knew it would be a tough call for Seulgi. Eric's defensive stance was anything but weak. The intense sound of shuffling shoes against the newly polished floor echoed across the whole area.
 

The ball was on Seulgi's possession. She mentally strategized all the possible game plays that could outrun and manipulate Eric, but none would work due to the shortage of time.
 

Seulgi decided to act on impulse, quickly driving in for a possible lay up.




 

10 seconds.




 

But she knew that her opponent was no fool; And playing one on one made everything even more challenging.

 

Seulgi observed that Eric liked to stay on the right side, so she quickly dribbled and crossed over the ball to her non-dominant hand. The split second was enough to make an unexpected move, and Seulgi used the opportunity to take a step back and attempt a shot.





 

6 seconds.





 

SM high's captain quickly released the ball for an possible basket.
 

The whole crowd stood on their feet, nervously gasping in anticipation whether the shot will be on Seulgi's favour, or not.




 

Four seconds.




 

The ball hit the rim before bouncing its way out. Eric quickly went for a rebound, before dribbling out, clearing the ball.





 

Two.

 

One.





 

The buzzer shook the whole gym indicating that the game had just ended.

 

Eric Nam grinned in victory, extending his arm to shake Seulgi's hands.






 

"Nice game, Kang!"

"You too, Nam."

 


 

"You almost got me there. I was nervous, my ego was on the line." Eric tried to lighten up the tense atmosphere by humouring the person he just competed with.





 

In all of Eric's career as a captain of an elite team, never had he experienced playing with such a skilled athlete. Not even any of his teammate were close to being as passionate and talented of a player as Kang Seulgi.





 

"Almost. But I didn't."
 

"Better than anything I've ever encountered. Anyway, about the bet.."
 

"Yeah, don't worry. I stick to my words." Seulgi flashed a defeated smile before shaking the offered hand.


 

"Good, I trust you. Don't let me down."


 

"I won't, don't worry."





 

"Actually, there's something I've been meaning to tell you. It wasn't on my plans but it can't be helped. I need a favour."






 

"It depends on what favour." Seulgi narrowed her eyes in suspicion at the sudden request from her rival.

 

"My dad had been asking for my help back in Canada. So while I'm gone, take care of her will you?" Seulgi blinked in confusion, after hearing what Eric had to say.
 

"So you're leaving? Then what was the point of that game? That bet? What the hell, man!" Seulgi was more confused than ever. Acting on impulse, she harshly punched Eric’s chest.





 

Why would Eric play one on one against her, even making up a ridiculous bet if he knew that he needed to leave?





 

"I had a reason, okay? I decided to play because at least in this, I had a chance. I had a chance of winning against you. Unlike with her.."





 

Eric smiled bitterly at the thought.




 

At least in basketball, I can win against you. With her, I can fight with my all and give her my world, but she would still choose you.’

 

And I needed to know if you could protect her.”





 

Eric knew completely that the match they just had was completely meaningless. The bet? It was pathetic. Since he knew that it didn't matter if his rival won or not, she will only look at her.






 

I'm doing you a favour, Kang. Someday you're gonna thank me for this.’





 

In reality, what Eric had said about his father wasn't the complete truth. Yes, he had asked for him to comeback but he did have a choice.

 

But without Seungwan in his arms, being in Korea was meaningless.





 

"You better take care of her. I'm serious. Or else I'll personally come back just to beat your sorry ." Eric's gaze burned through Seulgi's soul. Never had she seen the guy so serious.




 

Wendy must be that important to him.





 

Though slightly intimidated, Seulgi managed to flash an assuring smile, gently patting Eric's toned shoulder.





 

"No need to say. Thank you." Eric only scoffed, refusing to admit defeat, simply turning his back against Seulgi, and giving a passive wave farewell. "Later."


 

Seulgi could only shake her head at Eric's antics. Man's pride, she assumed. They're fragile as glass after all.






 

Eric might have won the basketball match, but he could never win the real competition. He had already lost before even trying.  





 

Seulgi was comfortably sitting on the wooden bench of the gym, changing out of her footwear and into a more comfortable slides, when a shadow had blocked her vision. Without even looking up, she could already recognize her little sunshine.

 

Seulgi was very much familiar with the rugged black all star converse. No one else could rock the brand like she does.





 

Just like no one suits Seulgi like Wendy does.





 

Eric tried, but everyone knew you could never separate the fated. One could try, but the harder one does, the stronger their bond would become.
 

Destiny’s interesting that way.






 

"Hey there, beautiful." Seulgi's gaze made contact with a pair of soft orbs. They shared a sweet smile, making the dark night, just a little bit brighter.

 

"You look pretty gorgeous yourself." Wendy played along to the playful greeting, enjoying the warmth that Seulgi’s eyes were giving.

 

"Wanna go for dinner? I'm hungry. That game the life out of me."





 

I'm gonna need my daily dose of Wendy to recharge.





 

Seulgi inwardly cringed at her own thoughts, quickly brushing off the greasy side of her that was in the verge of taking control.




 

"So, it must be pretty sad losing for the first time, eh?" Wendy flashed Seulgi a pitiful smile before gently patting the taller one's back.
 

"Actually, no. Since I was rewarded by something even better than any trophies out there."





 

Please don't make me say it. Seulgi mentally begged and begged. Her religious self kicking in as she prayed to the heavens for Seungwan's current curiosity to be tamed and forgotten.  





 

"Huh? What could possibly be better than being city champions? Or even provincial champions?"

 

"Finally having you by my side, Wendy.." Although Seulgi tried her hardest to minimize the volume of her voice to the point of being inaudible, her tracks were forced on a halt when Wendy froze on her spot.





 

Seulgi panicked as Wendy stood before her with an unreadable expression. Awkward silence filled the air, then Wendy's voice broke the quiet atmosphere.





 

"What did you say?" Wendy's voice came out as whisper but Seulgi managed to hear it clearly.





 

She shouldn't have said anything. What if Wendy does like Eric? Maybe she wasn't ready? Or maybe she was actually straight! What if Wendy thinks she's rushing her? What if—




 

Seulgi winced in pain forcefully caressing her throbbing forehead, wanting to soothe the sudden jolt of pain that traveled within her. She wasn't aware that Wendy, the girl soft as a cotton candy was capable of flicking one's forehead.





 

On the bright note, it did wake her up.




 

"I can hear you thinking. Stop it." Wendy's hand gently moved Seulgi's fingers out of the way, clearing her aching forehead that was just harshly flicked by the shorter girl.
 

"Just answer me. What did you say?" This time, Wendy's voice was more gentle, care evident as she carefully ran her thumb to and fro, trying her best to get rid of the the stinging sensation.
 

"I said, the best reward I could ever get is having you by my side.." Seulgi was quick in ducking her head. It didn't help that she could feel how warm her ears were getting. Flustered, she quickly covered her ears and looked to the opposite direction where Wendy's gaze was.

 


 

"Hey, look at me." Seulgi, being a stubborn child that she was, kept her pride intact by refusing to make eye contact with the girl in front of her.

 

"I said look at me. Bearbear?"






 

The last word caught Seulgi's attention. Is that a pet name?





 

"Bear bear?" Seulgi repeated in confusion.
 

"Cute, right? From now on, you're my Bearbear." Wendy gave Seulgi a blinding, yet very alluring grin, her eyes forming into crescents. "It suits you."






 

Seulgi could feel herself melting under Wendy's lovable actions.






 

"It's cute. I like it.." Seulgi shyly admitted. If her teammates saw her in such a state, she would never hear the end of it.





 

Well, who could blame them? The charismatic leader that’s always overflowing with charms and confidence turns into a timid, passive and very much whipped, Bearbear.





 

"Look at you, how adorable! What happened to the charismatic captain, number 21 Kang Seulgi-ssi?" Wendy cooed, her hand gripping on the taller girl's jersey, feeling the texture of the loose fabric letting her teasings continue.





 

Seulgi ruffled her hair in slight embarrassment. She couldn't, for the life of her find the right combat like to the girl's teasing.







 

"What's gotten into you?" Seulgi asked, still internally panicking at the close distance between the two.
 

"I'm just, happy.." This time, Wendy's tone was no longer playful. Instead, it was content, her tone indicating a hint of smile. "I don't think I can let this drag any longer.."
 

"Seulgi, be my girlfriend?" Saying that Seulgi was dumbfounded was an understatement.







 

Wasn't she supposed to be the dominant one? Wasn't she supposed to be the one asking Wendy to be her’s?






 

"Bearbear, answer me~" Seulgi could feel the rhythmic tugging on her jersey, an expectant look on the girl's face. Seeing the hopeful sparkle in Wendy’s eyes, Seulgi knew that it didn't matter.



 

It didn't matter who asked, what mattered was that the two of them were officially together.






 

Of course I'll be your girlfriend. I can't say no to pretty face like you.” Seulgi grinned, causing a deep shade of pink to appear on her now lover’s cheeks.
 

I can't believe you agreed to go out with me!” Wendy jumped in glee.

 

"You beat me to it. That was supposed to be my job, cutie." Seulgi playfully pouted. Which didn't last long since it was quickly replaced by a cheeky grin, with the former excitedly enveloping Wendy’s tiny figure into her arms, trapping the girl safely.
 

"Does it matter? At least we're officially together now~ and I finally have the right to tell other girls and guys to stop ogling at my girl. My bear. Mine." Seulgi chuckled at the childish behaviour.

 


 

"You've always had the right." Seulgi ruffled her girlfriend's hair, taking ahold of Wendy's hand, heading for the car hand in hand.






 

Wendy might have asked her out but Seulgi still remained the one in control.






 

"Yeah, but this time you're actually officially mine!"
 

"Feel free to start bragging, babe." Seulgi threw a lethal wink Wendy's way, making the girl shamelessly squeal.

 

"I should have asked you to be mine a long time ago!" Wendy flashed a timid grin, shyly fumbling with her fingers.


 

 

"That doesn't matter, we're together now." Seulgi eyes turned into a glimmering pair of half moons.





 

The couple's hands naturally made in contact, intertwining like magnetized puzzle pieces.






 

"B-babe.." Seulgi internally face palmed for stuttering. And to think that she she said it so confidently in her mind just a few seconds ago.





 

It definitely sounded waaay cooler in my head.’






 

Wendy giggled at her dork's now passive figure. "Cute." She couldn't help but mumble.








 

"Um, I have another game on Friday.."
 

"Are you asking me to come? Of course I'll be there! I wouldn't miss it for the world." Wendy grinned, though a bit confused. Where exactly was Seulgi going with this?






 

Seulgi's worries lessened after witnessing just how genuine the girl in front of her really was.






 

"I know. It's not that, I just.. I kind of have a favour?" She wanted to sound sure and gentle but she knew her tone screamed hesitance.

 

"Hm? Sure? What is it, babe?" Seulgi's ears instantly burned, which of course, did not go unnoticed. The way Wendy called her by the foreign word felt so natural. Like she had been saying such a word for a long period of time.

 

"Look at you, looking even cuter. You're gonna kill me with your innocence, really. Baby, why are you blushing?" Wendy's teasing went on further, going as far as cupping the latter's face and leaning in too close for comfort. Flustered Seulgi quickly moved away, feeling her temperature involuntarily rising.






 

"You're the one who's gonna kill me.. Anyway, Um. I was wondering if you could, uh, wear my jersey maybe? It's a tradition for players'.. Err.. G-girlfriends to wear their jerseys on game days. B-but um, only if you want to? You don't really have to.. You can say no if y-"





 

Seulgi's ramblings came to a sudden halt when Wendy's melodious laughter rang into the open, almost surrounding the air with such a loving atmosphere.





 

"Calm down, Bearbear. Of course I'll wear it! I'd love to show that you're mine. I'm your biggest fan, if you haven't noticed." Wendy chuckled before lightly hitting her girlfriend's toned arms.
 

"I think my jersey would suit you. After all, in the near future, you'll be a Kang as well." Seulgi wittingly flirted before activating her charming bear card, giving her enough confidence to pull off a flawless, jaw (and possibly tear) dropping wink.





 

Wendy, though beet red from the unexpected words, playfully looked away scoffing.





 

"Conceited.. Don't be so sure about that."






 

Even though she knew that what Seulgi had said was true; Because she had always been her clumsy and clueless bear from the beginning.





 

Mrs. Wendy Kang.






 

It gave a perfect ring to it. Just the thought gave Wendy an overwhelming amount of wild butterflies in her stomach.


 

It won't be for a long while, but it's okay, they had all the time in the world. Taking a good look at her lover's face, it was as if her girlfriend had the galaxy in her eyes, and they shone so brightly. The spark it contained was unlike anything Wendy had seen before. It was hypnotizing.


 

Seulgi's brows furrowed in confusion before they eventually relaxed, her mono lids stretching into a pair of gorgeous moons. Wendy's heart rate increased at the girl's beauty, reminding her of the very first day she saw Seulgi.


 

Unable to control her emotions anymore, Wendy couldn't stop herself from leaning in, pecking Seulgi's smooth cheek, before flashing a satisfied grin.






 

"Let's be together for a long time~" The latter could only give a lost nod accompanied by a dumb expression. And the content smile on Wendy's face gave her all the answers she needed.

 

"Don't worry. I'll make sure that happens." Seulgi answered, pulling their intertwined hands close to her lips, then planting a soft kiss at the back of Wendy's hand.






 

It's just the start of their forever. They knew that the road ahead wasn't paved, and the bumpy ride was just about to begin; they'll experience petty fights, discomfort and disagreements; But seeing each others smiles, they knew one thing was for sure. They'll be okay.


 

At the end of the day, they would will come back into each others arms.







 

And right where they belong:


 

Home.




 

• • •


 

E N D


 

• • •


 

Thank you so much to the person who drew my cover, it's so good! Shout out yo! (@aureuschan(?))


 

A/N: This is for Aaron, (@Seulwans on twitter) the biggest wenseul shipper I know hahaha :) I've never written for SeulgixWendy ship before so this was something new for me. I hope y'all like it though. :D


 

Comment. Vote. Subscribe.

Only if you want to hahaha :)) thanks though