Solo

Meeting Jay Park
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hey Tae, how’s it going?”

“Paula,” the bouncer at the club said with his normal tough expression and nodded to let her through, the sound of the bass audible even to those standing outside.

When she was finally got close enough, the little woman just looked up at the big man with a smile on her face, expectantly, instead of continuing.

Tae sighed after a good moment. “Nan kwaen-cha-na.” I’m good.

She beamed and passed him to enter the establishment. “Koh-ma-woh!!” she shouted over her shoulder, then touched Eun-ho’s, the other bouncer, arm as a greeting. Thank you!!

Tae shook his head, finally cracking a smile before stoically eyeing the small line of waiting guests. It was a running gag between the two of them, for Paula to get him to say something before she entered the club since Tae normally didn’t make conversation. With anybody. Even his mom. Sometimes he didn’t crack. But most of the time he did, much to her joy.

Eun-ho just smiled because he was glad to see her.

After months of frequenting Gangnam’s Club Answer, with and without 2PM, Paula got to know all the staff really well. If she ever came by herself, Tae would make note and let everyone else in the club know to keep an eye out for her: she quickly became Club Answer’s sweetheart after her constant visits and the staff made sure she was always safe even if she didn’t realize it.

Once she passed through the doors, someone rushed her for a hug.

“Eonnie,” Paula laughed, wrapping her arms around her friend’s body.

“Neo joo-byeon-ae eob-seot-da, okay?” Min-jong scolded when she finally pulled away, “Besides, you also made me have to deal with that what’s-her-face all by myself!” You haven’t been around.

“What’s-her-face is standing right here,” Ah-rin sang, as she went into Paula’s arms next.

“Jeongmal? Well,” Min-jong brushed off. Really?

Paula shook her head, amused by their banter as Ah-rin took Paula’s coat and bag to check them in.

Min-jong and Ah-rin were hostesses/waitresses at the club, and they had this love-hate relationship ever since Paula could remember. Hyung-joon, one of the longest-standing bartenders, told her they were cat and mouse ever since they were hired, which was around the same time, even though Min-jong held it over Ah-rin’s head that she was hired a few days before the latter.

“Yah, kwae-rohb hi-koh joong-ji-hae,” a deep voice was heard behind them. Hey, stop bothering her.

“You know I don’t mind,” Paula assured as she went into the arms of Club Answer’s owner and manager, Kim Seong-oo.

“They shouldn’t be disturbing customers anyway,” he countered jokingly, the two women ignoring them and taking their arguing into the coatroom.

“Na-neun-ae ching-gu-een-dae,” she argued with a smile. I’m their friend.

“Hohk-shi na-reul ee-kil su eet-doh-rohk keon-ka-yoh?” he teased. Are you ever going to let me win?

“Eo-neu nal,” she winked, “Besides, it’s not even peak hours, they’re fine!” One day.

Seong-oo rolled his eyes amicably. “Your usual room?” he asked.

“Yes,” she answered, “But not yet. I want to walk around and say hi to everyone. Help at the bar a little, maybe meet the newbies? It’s been a while.”

“Not much has changed,” he confessed, “Actually, sae-roh-oon bartender iss-seo. You’re gonna like her. I hired a new bartender.

“But as you wish my dear,” he grandly bowed, exaggeratedly.

It was her turn to roll her eyes, but she laughed as well, letting Mr. Kim ghost his hand on her lower back to  her deeper into the club.

Club Answer had a strict dress code, so Paula was dressed in a deep blue blouse and white dress pants, black sandal stilettos on her feet. Her short hair had been growing out, but it was still blonde as the hairdressers at JYP helped her keep up the colour and the style. They didn’t have to, but they liked doing it.

“You’re learning,” he said, referring to her clothes.

“Doesn’t mean I like it,” she mumbled loud enough for him to hear, almost tripping because of her footwear.

Seong-oo laughed as they walked into the wide-open space of the dance floor.

When she entered Club Answer the very first time, she wore jeans and a sweater covering her t-shirt, her shoes being the ever-present Converse. The bouncers let Paula through though, because she was with Nichkhun and Taecyeon. Otherwise, she wouldn’t even have been let in. She was warned by the staff to come better dressed if she ever came back, and she was good-natured about it, which allowed everyone’s hearts to melt a little towards the girl. Eventually her closet got an upgrade, specifically for Korea’s club scene.

She waved to Soundfuze, the resident DJ, as she crossed the basically empty dance floor towards the bar. He caught a glimpse of her, smiled and waved back. She smiled at his returned gesture, and then hopped onto a barstool.

“Can I get a vodka tonic with a kiss please?” she shouted over the music, leaning over the counter to get the attention of the man standing behind the bar.

He looked up at the sound of her voice, and his face broke into a grin.

“Absolutely gorgeous,” he said, leaning over to kiss her on the cheek.

She laughed. “How’s my favourite Hyung-joon?” she asked as she settled back into her seat, Seong-oo sitting down beside her.

“I’m good hon,” he answered, “Missing you.”

Paula pretended to be shy but she couldn’t keep her smile away, “You sweet talker you.”

He winked as he put her drink down on the bar. “Welcome back Paula.”

“Good to be back,” she said, taking a sip as he walked away.

Just then, a woman came to take Hyung-joon’s place. Paula didn’t recognize her, so she assumed she was the new bartender. She was taller than average for a Korean and Paula knew the other was dressed in all black, but she could only see the top: a buttoned up black vest with nothing underneath, her eyes were bright, her diamond stud earrings just as brilliant, and her long dark hair was pulled up into a high ponytail, her fringe framing her face just right.

“Paula, sae-roh-oon yeo-ja-reul man-na,” Seong-oo started, “Jo, ee-keo-neun oo-ri-wee ka-jang sa-rang-baht-neun sohn-nim-ee-ya.” Meet the new girl. This is our most beloved guest.

Paula mock puked before smiling and putting her hand out for a shake, “Anyeonghasaeyo! Nae-ga dhang-shin-eul joh-ha-hae-neun-dae deul-eot-da.” Hi. I heard I was supposed to like you.

“Anyeonghasaeyo,” Jo replied, taking the other’s hand and bowing, “Ah keu-rae-yo? Wae-yo?” Hello. Oh really? Why?

“Mohl-lah,” she said, elbowing the man sitting beside her, “Dhang-shin-ee sang-sa-neun mal-ha-ji ahn-hae-sseo.” I don’t know, your boss won’t tell me.

Seong-oo rubbed his side. “Because you two are from North America,” he said in English.

“No !” Paula exclaimed, happy to meet a native speaker, “Where are you from?”

“Portland, Oregon,” Jo answered, “You?”

“Vancouver, British Columbia,” Paula replied, “That’s so cool, I love Oregon! Seriously, you don’t pump your own gas and the lady at Subway gave me more bacon for no extra charge once, which was, like, the best thing ever.”

Jo laughed. “Vancouver’s awesome too,” she said, “Especially downtown.”

“Nothing like Seoul at night though,” Paula confided.

“That is true,” Jo agreed, “It’d be weird to go back now.”

“How long have you been in Korea?” Paula asked.

“It’s a long story,” Jo hesitated.

Paula looked at the time on her phone. “You’ve got two hours before it gets really busy in here,” she said, and then turned to Seong-oo, “She’s got two hours. Can I?”

“Yeah, yeah,” the manager said, sliding down from his perch to walk away after hearing them chat, “Jo, go ahead. I’ll let Hyung-joon know.”

Paula beamed as she also came down from her seat and walked down the bar as she motioned for Jo to come out from behind the counter.

“Where are we going?” Jo asked, confused.

“I come here so often one of the VIP rooms is basically mine,” she answered as Jo came to walk beside her, “So we’re going there.”

“How often?”

“I try to come once a week,” Paula confided, “But there are a lot of clubs in Seoul, much less Gangnam, so sometimes I can’t make it. But I try. It would be my favourite club if not for the dress code,” she said, motioning to her attire.

“You look good though,” Jo said.

“Aw, thanks girl,” Paula smiled, “But this is so not me.”

As they made their way up to her room, Hyung-joon watched them from the bar with a dad smile on his face.

“Keu-dool-eun ddang-ae-ee jang-soh-reul koo-ool keos-eet-da,” he said absent-mindedly. They’re going to burn this place to the ground.

“Yeah, I agree.”

Hyung-joon leveled his gaze towards the back of the man who said that, wearing a grey hoodie with the hood up.

Then he turned to face the bar. “How’s it going hyung?” he said.

And Hyung-joon grinned.

“What’s up Jay?” Hyung-joon said with an outstretched arm.

“Not much,” Jay Park shrugged, as he clasped the bartender’s hand over the counter, “You doing alright?”

“Can’t complain,” Hyung-joon answered, pouring a shot of soju, “Ah-nae-ee sa-rang-seu-reo-oon hang-sang-ha-koh a-ee-ka neo-moo bbal-li seong-jang-ha-koh-eet-da.” Wife’s lovely as always and the

Please log in to read the full chapter