Final

Way better than prom

Lee Jieun and Min Yoongi had been friends since they were 7 years old. When they were little they would have play dates at parks and would have picnics together; even as juniors in high school they still did the same things. Granted, the slides didn't seem as adventurous as they did before, no parents were involved and there was slightly less juice box intake (just slightly less), but they were the same as they had been when they were kids; inseparable. They never thought that anything could drive them apart; then prom came.

When they were about 14 Yoongi and Jieun made a promise that they would take each other to prom. Mostly because neither of them were popular and they knew that the probability of both of them getting dates was lower than Yoongi's P.E grade; so really really low. They had everything planned out, how they were going to get there (by bike), what they were going to wear (matching converse), how they were going to pose for the pictures (complimenting derp faces), and how they were going to dance (start a mini mosh pit during the slow dances). Both of them thought that the concept of prom was boring so they decided they were going to make it as fun as possible; by being ridiculous. But it didn't happen that way at all.

Jieun woke up as usual and started her groggy morning routine; she was far from a morning person. She walked out the door, forgetting about breakfast, as usual, and headed towards school. As soon as she opened the door to her school, she felt an orange hit the side of her head.

"Min Yoongi my head is not a target," she said turning to who she knew the culprit was.

"Lee Jieun, I believe you're mistaken," Yoongi replied while walking towards her. "If I bring you breakfast, which I do every single day, you are obligated to let me throw it at your head."

Jieun sighed and picked the fruit off the ground. "You could have bruised it you know?"

"Jeez, I don't even get a thank you?"

"Thank you, but you could have bruised it."

Yoongi simply shook his head knowing that Jieun was not actually upset, she was not a trivial person, she was just messing with him as usual. School was typical; Yoongi fell asleep in almost every class and Jieun threw scrap paper at him go wake him up. It was during lunch break when Jieun got up to go to the bathroom, when somebody ran in front of her forcing her to stop in her tracks.

She looked up to see Park Jimin standing in front of her with a shy smile on her face.

"Jimin," Jieun said slightly confused, "is there a reason you're blocking the woman's bathroom?" Her tone came out as slightly rude even though she didn't mean it that way at all.

"Oh I was just ummm," Jimin was scratching his head as he was obviously nervous, "I need to ask you something."

"Okay go for it. Just know that a woman's bladder is only so large."

"Oh okay well, I was wondering if.......umm you'd maybe like to go to prom with me; like as my date?"

Jieun didn't think about Yoongi at all; they hadn't talked about prom in a while and she just assumed that he was joking about the entire thing. The only thing she could think of was shy little Jimin standing in front of her asking her to be his date.

"Oh um," Jieun stuttered, "y-yes. Yes; I'll go to prom with you."

"Seriously," Jimin asked, actually afraid she was going to take it back. "You're going to prom with me?" Jieun just nodded in response before Jimin quickly pulled her into a tight hug. She hugged back after making sense of the situation but still felt very awkward. The awkwardness might have been from the fact that she hardly knew Jimin and had no clue why he would ask her to prom, or it could have been from the fact that she still had to use the restroom. Jimin flashed her a big smile before walking off with a farewell that was similar to, "hope your bathroom trip goes well."

After Jieun finally got to use the restroom she walked back towards the table that she shared with Yoongi. "Why do you have that confused face," Yoongi questioned, "that's not a face you usually see after going to the bathroom."

"Jimin asked me to prom", she said while eating her food that she had abandoned earlier and was almost certain that Yoongi had eaten some of it.

"Really? What did he do when you said no?"

"Why would I say no? I told him yes and he seemed pretty happy about it. I just don't get why he would ask me or why he was nervous about it; we barely know each other and-" Jieun stopped her sentence when she realized that Yoongi's jaw had tensed and he had a far from pleasant look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? Are you serious? Did you completely forget about me? Forget about our plans that we've had for years?"

"Wait, that's what that face is for? Because of the promise we made years ago that was a joke?"

"It might have been a joke to you, but it wasn't to me."

"Yoongi I'm sure you can find another date. You're pretty good looking and despite your laziness and despite your disinterest for school, you're actually pretty smart. It will be easy to find a date; you shouldn't worry about it."

"I'm don't want another date; that's not what this is about. This is about the fact that you just threw me away for Jimin; somebody you hardly know. I've been your friend since we were kids," Yoongi was getting angrier by the second. Yoongi couldn't care less about prom or even if he went at all, but the fact that Jieun went back on a promise that he held close to his heart drove him crazy. "Our next class is about to start," he said as he quickly threw away his food and walked out of the cafeteria. Jieun didn't try to chase after him as she was still in shock at the situation. She had seen Yoongi mad before, although it doesn't happen often, but she had never seen him mad at her. She really had no idea that he was so serious about a little promise that was made 3 years ago.

Yoongi ignored Jieun for the rest of the day; the only word she got out of him after lunch was a goodnight text that they exchanged every single night without fail. The fact that he still sent this text despite being mad at her, proves that he was a man of his word. He continued to ignore her for the next three days, other than the goodnight texts, and Jieun felt so guilty she eventually told Jimin she couldn't go to prom. She figured that the best way to clear up the situation was to not go. She told Jimin that her family had plans that day, which she forgot about, and that she wasn't going. Jimin took it lightly, he apparently got a new date by the next day, but Yoongi still wasn't talking to Jieun.

After about a week of almost no communication Jieun couldn't take it anymore. They were on their way to lunch when Jieun ran up behind Yoongi and ripped his back pack right off of his body.

"IF YOU WANT THIS BACK YOU'LL HAVE TO CATCH ME," Jieun yelled while running up the stairs towards the roof. Yoongi really had no choice but to run after her. She finally stopped when they reached the roof and she quickly held Yoongi's back pack over the edge of the building. "Min Yoongi if you do not at least allow me to explain the situation I will throw this over the edge and your lap top that's inside will break," she stated firmly.

Yoongi sensed the sincerity in her voice and responded with a defeated sounding, "Lee Jieun you've lost your mind."

"I know you're upset and I'm sorry; I really am. I didn't know the promise meant so much to you. I told Jimin I wasn't going. Happy now?"

"Jieun it's not that I didn't want you to go to prom; I just wanted you to go with me. Now can you please give me back my laptop? You're clumsy and I don't need you dropping it on accident."

Jieun gave him back his bag while giving him a confused look. "Why do you want to go together so bad? We see each other every day and do everything together; what's one dance where we're not with each other?"

"It doesn't matter", Yoongi said, but Jieun could tell that it did. Yoongi didn't get upset often but when he did it was obvious.

"No, there's a reason, tell me."

"I think the reason is pretty obvious."

"It's not though, if it was I would've figured it out by now."

"Anybody else would've figured it out right now."

"What is that suppose to mean?"

"It means your painfully dense."

"Excuse me!? Who are you to call me dense!? Why would you-"

"I LIKE YOU, YOU FRIGGEN IDIOT! THAT'S WHY YOU'RE DENSE BECAUSE I'VE LIKED YOU SINCE WE MADE THAT STUPID PROMISE AND YOU NEVER FIGURED IT OUT! I WAS GOING TO CONFESS TO YOU ON PROM NIGHT BUT NOW I CAN'T BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT EVEN GOING!"

"Yoongi....I-"

"Don't. Just forget it."

Yoongi walked back into the school while Jieun sat there in the most emotionally confused state she'd ever been in. She had no idea that Yoongi felt that way; she didn't even know how she felt at the moment. The school day continued with the them trying equally as hard to avoid each other. She got home and immediately went to bed hoping that sleep would get her mind off of Yoongi, and it did, but she eventually had to wake up; which led to more thoughts of him.

~

It was the night of prom and Jieun was sitting in her bedroom watching re-runs of her favorite drama when she got a text from somebody she hadn't spoken to in a week.

Yoongi: I'll be at your house in an hour; be ready.

Jieun: Where are we going?

Yoongi: It's a suprise, just be ready.

Jieun quickly jumped out of her bed and got ready as fast as possible. She put on a simple outfit of a black sweater and white skinny jeans plus the converse that her and Yoongi were originally going to where to prom. She put her hair up in a simple pony tail but made sure to make her makeup look as nice as possible. She was trying to find her favorite perfume when she heard a knock at the door. "I got it", she yelled while running down the steps past her parents. "I'm going out with Yoongi, I'll be home later." Her parents just responded with a nod as she walked out the door and stood face to face with Yoongi.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see when we get there," Yoongi responded with a slight smirk.

He opened the door to his car for Jieun, he was a gentleman after all, and then got into the car himself. They started driving and although no words were spoken, it didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable. Eventually Yoongi the radio and they both proceeded to sing as loud as they could. Neither of them were good singers so they took turns laughing at each other's voice cracks and inability to hold a note.

"Yoongi are you lost," Jieun questioned; they were on roads Jieun had never been on and they seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

"We're not lost," Yoongi responded, "we're almost there in fact. Close your eyes; I want it to be a suprise."

"Are you serious? You really want me to close my eyes?"

"If I wasn't serious, I wouldn't have said it."

With a sigh, Jieun closed her eyes. She trusted Yoongi but was still nervous about the situation, she didn't like not knowing what was going on and that was most likely why Yoongi chose to suprise her. After she closed her eyes they only drove for a couple more minutes and then the car stopped.

"Stay still, I'll open the door for you; make sure to keep your eyes closed until I tell you to open them," Yoongi said while getting out of the car and walking around to open Jieun's door. Yoongi slid his hand into hers and gently tugged on it to signal her to get out of the car. All of the sudden Jieun felt his hands on her hips, "I'm going to lift you onto the car okay? You have to promise not to kick me or anything," Yoongi said in an instructive manner. Jieun didn't even get a chance to respond before her feet left the ground, but thankfully, they found their way onto the hood of the car very easily. Yoongi immediately got onto the car as well and took Jieun's hand again; this time tugging it downwards, signaling for her to sit down.

"Lay your head back," Yoongi said in a soft voice, and Jieun followed his order, "now open your eyes."

Jieun opened her eyes to see the stars in more clarity than she ever has before; both Yoongi and Jieun lived near the city where the stars were almost invisible. They were now in a small clearing in the woods where the trees were taller than Jieun could ever imagine and the moon and stars was so bright it almost seemed like it wasn't even dark out.

"Bet you didn't know it was a full moon out, did you," Yoongi said while turning his head to see Jieun; she could see a slight smirk on his face.

"No," she responded returning her gaze to the stars, "I didn't. This is place is beautiful. How did you find it?"

"I was driving around one day out of sheer boredom and stumbled upon this clearing. I was completely lost, but the stars were so pretty I wasn't even thinking about where I was. I wrote down how I got back home and just reversed it to get here."

"It's nice, but out of all places to go why here? I mean we could have gone to prom."

"Actually we couldn't have because you told Jimin you weren't going. And this is why." Yoongi stood up and walked over the windshield onto the very top of the car; while pulling Jieun along with him by the hand. They were face to face and he said,

"Imagine that our life is a movie, you and I both just characters in it. Look at these stars and where we are, and look at how we're standing," Yoongi slowly lifted the hand that wasn't holding Jieun's to caress her face and slowly leaned his head closer to hers. "Now if this was a movie, and this was the closing scene," he moved all the way in until their lips touched gently. He slowly pulled away and said,

"Then this, is way better than prom."