1

Days of the Dragons

"Come." The robed figure swung down from the great scaly beast, standing by its head as he watched through narrowed eyes at the approaching army. A shadow of black on the horizon, they knew that they were going to have to survive this, going to have to manage to make it through this.

The Destined needed to be protected at all costs.

Even at the cost of their own lives.

Slowly, the figure lowered his hood, exposing the face of an old man, his beard silvery grey, his face etched with wrinkles. Yet his eyes, stormy grey, glinting in his face, were far from tired.

He turned to face the grim faced troops behind him, mounted on their dragons, their faces hidden under hoods and behind carved helmets. The air was silent, apart from the occasional snort and growl from an impatient dragon, or the clanking of chains in the wind. Besides him, four more battle-worn men rode up behind him, their faces steely under their hoods.

"People of Everlaiyre!" his voice echoed across the grounds, grave and deep, powerful, ancient. "The dark times are not over. Before us, our enemies approach, wielding their weapons of war. We will not let them get what they desire - for the Destined are not theirs. Without the Destined, we are nothing."

He turned to leap lithey onto the large grey dragon, looping his hands through the chains. "We will fight for what belongs to us!" he turned his dragon around to face the oncoming black army. "For Everlaiyre!" his voice resonated across the troops. The teeming mass of dragons and their riders raised their own weapons, curved swords and dagger-like spears glinting in the light of the day, and all let out a great war cry, the noise accompanied by the ferocious roaring of the great winged beasts that were now charging across the plains, some already taken to the skies to face the oncoming enemy dragons. The air was filled with thundering, the thundering of dragons, the thundering of men, the thundering of weapons and cries.

The battle for Everlaiyre had begun.

(A/N: am I the only one who feels like I'm watching a historical drama here? Keke - ok back to story. Thundering of dragons, of men, or weapons ...)

In the midst of the battle, the six men turned their dragons around, flying up into the air amongst a cloud of flapping wings and thrashing spears. They had heard a call.

A call from the Destined.

Leaving their dragons outside, they rushed into the depths of the now dark castle, following the traces left by the Destined. Turning through each corridor, running, running, until -

"The Serpent." the faintly glowing red shadow of a huge serpent reared up as it hovered menacingly over the crystal ball of power. The power that was going to able the Founders of Everlaiyre - themselves - to birth the Destined.

"You are not welcome in our territory." The second man stepped forwards, his robes flowing around his ankles. The serpent turned its glowing, coal-black eyes on his. The man hesitated for a second, before drawing his sword at the same time as the other four. The serpent hissed, its tongue flicking in and out, tasting danger.

"You are too late." a deep, resonating voice, issuing from the ground beneath their feet. The real serpent, his voice filled with an ancient power, low, hissing. "It is over."

"The Destined are gone," continued the snake. The serpent's shadow still lingered on the walls, faintly illuminated by the flickering candles. "Gone and now, so will you."

The serpent hissing and blowing up into a vast red shape on the wall. A bright light, silver, glowing brighter and brighter, sharper, and one last, echoing scream -

Then nothing.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi again everyone! It's me, with the first chapter. 
WAIT A MOMENT DON'T GO lemme explain - this is like a prolouge which is why it is so short. I am sorry but I can't update frequently as I would like to, but I will try my best for you guys. I think I will have time over three, two, four weeks an update? Maybe once a week or two weeks? I'm confusing myself - scrap that, hehehe.

Okay. Here come the dragons!! Hehehe. Okay I need to get going now, so please no bashing, and enjoy!

Anotherone_101