Moonjoo

Sorry I'm a Bad Boy

There it was. That smile. The one and only smile that could send his heart racing a million beats per second – the smile. His smile sparkled just as much as his eyes.

Myungsoo sighed. It was another one of those days. He felt obnoxiously romantic today and all he could think about was how his co-worker’s smile was just so beautiful. So maybe it was a little creepy, the way he stared at his co-worker and sipped his coffee like there was nothing wrong with the world – but hey, when his co-worker was smiling, nothing was wrong with the world.

“You’re drooling again.”

Violently, Myungsoo swiped at his chin. “I am not!” he said, glaring up at his friend.

Sungjong eyed him in disbelief as he sat down next to him at the break room table. “You just wiped your face, you believed me, didn’t you?”

No, I didn’t,” Myungsoo insisted, lifting up his coffee cup to hide his face. “I just had an itch was all…”

“Okay,” Sungjong replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes. “Honestly, Myungsoo, if you like him this much, you should just ask him out.”

“No!” Myungsoo exclaimed. He looked mortified, as if the thought of asking the Lee Sungyeol out was the most scandalous thing that had ever graced his ears. Ignoring Sungjong’s annoyed expression, he continued, “How could I ask him out? He’s… so out of my league.”

“Out of your league.”

“Yes.”

Looking pointedly at the tall secretary at the other end of the break room, Sungjong continued, “And what part of Lee Sungyeol is out of your league?”

Myungsoo broke out another sigh, resting his face in his hand as he focused on Sungyeol. He must have been out of his league, there was no way that a smile like his could be in his league.

Sungyeol was the boss’ secretary while Myungsoo worked in a cubicle. He was tall with lanky limbs and long fingers and hair the same color as the coffee he always drank. His eyes sparkled like they were filled with stars and Myungsoo could have stared into them for hours. It wasn’t fair – Sungyeol was literally the stuff of dreams and Myungsoo was always left wishing he could dream forever.

Myungsoo never considered himself confident at all. Rather, he had always kind of identified himself as the opposite. He wasn’t painfully shy – he just tended to freeze up in front of people he admired. And whenever he was near Sungyeol, it was constantly as if he was turning into a little kid staring at his crush. And to be honest, that’s probably how he looked at this very moment.

But if only Sungyeol would smile at him instead of whoever he was talking to at the moment. And of course, it was always Lee Joon – the buff guy who walked around in black tank tops all day. Wasn’t there a dress code or something? Who let him wear tank tops everywhere?

“I bet he does it to seduce him…”

Sungjong punched his side. “Myungsoo, you just said that out loud! What if Joon hears you, you incompetent–”

“He won’t hear me.” Myungsoo sulked in his seat childishly. “Sungyeol is too busy talking to him.”

“Oh my– Myungsoo, how long have you been staring at this guy?”

“I don’t know… a couple months, maybe?”

“And how is it that he hasn’t noticed you staring at him? Every day you two get on break at the same time and every day you sit here and drink coffee while he stands at the counter and drinks coffee. Why don’t you talk to him?”

“He’s not into me!” Myungsoo exclaimed under his breath. “Every time he leaves he just walks by me like I’m another co-worker of his! I’m not special enough to get noticed.” He pouted.

“Don’t be a baby.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize for that!”

“Ow,” Myungsoo muttered. He rubbed his head on the spot Sungjong had just hit. “Even if I do talk to him, there’s no way he’ll be into me. I would probably be so bland and uninteresting to him.”

Letting out a heavy sigh, Sungjong replied, “Look. You’re never going to find out if you never talk to him, right? So why don’t you just go over there and introduce yourself?”

“I’ve done that before!” Myungsoo exclaimed. “He smiled back at me and I didn’t know what to say after that. And then he walked away because his break was over.”

Sungjong opened his mouth to let out another annoyed retort but his eyes flashed mischievously instead. He dropped his voice down low and leaned over to whisper into Myungsoo’s ear. “You better man up now because he’s coming over. Ask him to dinner tonight or something!”

Myungsoo blinked and replied after a pause, “But… I already have dinner plans tonight with my brother.”

“You know what I mean!” Sungjong snapped, slapping his shoulder. “Here he comes, come on!” He pushed Myungsoo out from his seat harshly, forcing the other to stand on his feet.

“Ah!” Myungsoo cried out in shock, nearly tripping over his feet. He regained his balance quickly but not before Sungyeol paused awkwardly in front of him.

Sungyeol’s pretty eyes blinked down at him, a simple, “oh,” leaving his lips in confusion.

It took Myungsoo a few seconds to get over being momentarily stunned before he could speak again. “U-Uh, hey Sungyeol,” he said. His voice had cracked at the end of that, how embarrassing. He cleared his throat and continued, “You-You look good today!”

Sungyeol’s face lit up in a sweet smile as he replied, “Oh, thanks! You look good today too, um…” His lips twisted in thought. Myungsoo was confused as Sungyeol tapped his lips with his finger. “No, no… don’t tell me…”

“…Tell you what?” Myungsoo asked in confusion. “Is there–”

“Ah!” Sungyeol snapped his fingers and pointed at him. “Moonjoo, right?”

Myungsoo could feel his entire being deflate and Sungjong snickering loudly behind him. He was hoping Sungjong wasn’t thinking about how pitiful this was, because even Myungsoo realized this was pitiful. “Oh,” he muttered. “Um, actually I’m–”

“Sungyeol!” The two of them looked over and saw Joon, who was beckoning Sungyeol out of the break room. Whether Myungsoo wanted to smack Joon for interrupting or hide in a hole because Sungyeol got his name wrong, he wasn’t sure.

“Oh, coming!” Sungyeol called back. He turned to smile with Myungsoo and wave at him with a little twiddle of his fingers. “I’ve got to get going. See you some other time, Moonjoo!”

Myungsoo smiled weakly as Sungyeol walked away. “I-It’s… It’s Myungsoo.”

...

Sunggyu sat on his comfy armchair, his legs sitting atop his glass coffee table carelessly. Reaching into his chip bag, he pulled out some chips to shove into his mouth. “So,” he said around the chips crunching in his mouth, “are you going to tell me what’s wrong?”

Myungsoo was laying there on his couch and he had been sulking there ever since he had arrived to Sunggyu’s apartment. Sunggyu didn’t know why he refused to tell him anything or why he was so upset so he had just grabbed a bag of chips to wait it out. His baby brother just needed some time before he would open up about his problem of the day.

“Did something happen today?” Sunggyu proceeded to ask, the sound of the chip bag crinkling as he his hand back in. “You’re usually not this upset when you come over for dinner.”

“I know,” Myungsoo mumbled. He sat up, running his fingers through his hair. “I just had a bad day today.”

Sunggyu nodded at the new information. “And why is that?”

The frown on his little brother’s face deepened as he fell back down onto the couch with a flop. “Because my love life is so terrible! I can’t even tell a guy he looks good without it going wrong!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Sunggyu said suddenly. A coy little grin spread across his face as he leaned forward. “You have a love life?”

“Gee, thanks, hyung!”

Sunggyu laughed cheekily. “Sorry, sorry,” he said. “But wait, tell me more about this failed love life of yours. Maybe I can help you.”

“You can’t,” Myungsoo groaned. “It’s already ruined. He couldn’t even get my name right! He called me Moonjoo, hyung! Why did this happen to me…”

“Ouch,” Sunggyu murmured sympathetically. “Sorry to hear that. And who’s this he we’re talking about?”

“One of my co-workers… Lee Sungyeol.”

“Uh huh… keep talking.”

“He’s the man of my dreams,” Myungsoo gushed out. “He’s so good looking with such pretty features, and oh hyung, you should see it when he laughs. He’s even prettier!”

“Mm-hm.”

“And his personality is so cool! You know he came in late one day because he had to drive his baby cousin to school? That’s so cute, ugh, he’s literally perfect. And here I am – a useless lump of a potato that can’t do anything but stutter in front of him.”

“Yup.”

Myungsoo snapped his head up, a look of clear annoyance written across his face. “Hyung! Are you even listening to me?!”

Sunggyu glanced at him and raised his arms in defense. He held his phone in one hand and his bag of chips in the other. “I’m listening, I’m listening!” he said defensively. “I promise!”

“Ugh, just when I thought I could actually get some advice…”

“Okay!” Sunggyu sighed. “If you want to see it from my perspective, I just don’t get why he wouldn’t notice that you’re interested. I mean, you’re a humble guy who’s extremely good looking. Why wouldn’t he be interested in a guy like you? You’re good enough for anybody in the world.”

“I guess so…” Myungsoo muttered. “I don’t know, I just get so clammy when I see him.”

Sunggyu hummed as he brought his phone back up to his face. “Maybe you just need to be more confident towards him? Getting nervous in front of him might be something he’s not attracted to.”

“Maybe…” Myungsoo frowned and brought up a pillow to hug. “I’ll never get close enough to him to figure it out though… He’s not interested in a guy like me. I can’t even talk to him, how am I supposed to be confident around him? How did you work up the courage to talk to Woohyun, hyung? …Hyung?” Myungsoo glared at his older brother again. “Did you stop listening to me again?”

“I found his Facebook.”

“Hyung!” Myungsoo screamed, mortified. “What are you doing on his Facebook?!”

Sunggyu pouted, shrugging his shoulders. “Figured I would check out the guy who’s supposedly not into my brother. Because who wouldn’t be into my baby brother?”

“Hyung, you’re so embarrassing–”

“Are you saying you don’t want to stalk his Facebook page with me?”

“…No, I want to.”

“That’s what I thought.”

Myungsoo scrambled up to his feet quickly and went to crouch by his brother’s side. Sungyeol’s Facebook profile was already open on his phone and Myungsoo’s eyes were already hungrily raking over the screen. His profile picture was a picture of Sungyeol clubbing.

Huh. He didn’t realize Sungyeol was into clubbing.

“Scroll through his pictures,” Myungsoo commanded in a murmur as he pointed to the little pictures icon. “Maybe I can see something about the guys he likes.”

“I don’t see why you’re so desperate to get him to like you,” Sunggyu mused. “You could have any other guy, really. You’re a ten out of ten.”

“I’m not interested in anybody else but him,” Myungsoo replied decisively. “So I gotta know!”

Sunggyu groaned. “Fine. There’s not much in his pictures though. They’re not that interesting.”

“Yeah…” Myungsoo agreed after a few moments. The pictures were all of Sungyeol and other people (people named Lee Joon) and wearing other people’s hats or sunglasses. “Maybe it won’t give me any information…”

Sunggyu scrolled through the pictures in boredom. “I mean, he’s pretty cute, I guess. Nothing really compared to you though.”

Myungsoo smacked his brother on the head. “Don’t say that! He’s so hot!”

“Um, okay,” Sunggyu muttered, his head. “There was no need for violence, but okay.” With a sigh he continued, “Do you know anyone he’s dated before?”

“No.” Myungsoo shook his head. “I really don’t know what he’s into but… I just wish he was into me.”

“Hm…”

It was only seconds later that a particular post caught Sunggyu’s eye. He sat up abruptly, causing Myungsoo to fall to the floor in surprise. Gasping, he murmured out, “I think I got it.”

From the floor, Myungsoo groaned out, “Wha–”

“He’s into bad boys!” Sunggyu exclaimed like he had hit an epiphany. And maybe it was an epiphany considering that he had found the reason why some guy wouldn’t be interested in his handsome baby brother. “He must be!”

“Bad boys?” Myungsoo repeated. “Why would you assume that–?”

“Just look!” Sunggyu said, shoving his phone at Myungsoo’s face. “Someone asked him to pick between Jay Park and Lee Hyunwoo and he chose Jay Park. That’s has to say something about his taste in men.”

Myungsoo stared at the picture of the rapper on the screen, his sharp gaze and heavily tattooed body mocking him. Swallowing, he said, “He’s… a really y guy, I’ll give you that.”

“He’s y because he’s a bad boy,” Sunggyu reasoned. “And Sungyeol likes guys like him. Who does he hang out with at the office?”

“A guy name Lee Joon,” Myungsoo replied, unblinking. “He’s… a tall, bad type too, if I base it off of image.”

“See!” Sunggyu snapped his fingers knowingly. “I’m telling you, he’s into bad boys!” Sunggyu’s eyes suddenly glimmered with something mischievous as he said, “Which is exactly why… you’re going to become one!”

Myungsoo hopped up from the ground, his eyes going wide. “Excuse me?!”

“Sit down, Myungsoo, we need to have a talk.”

“What–?”

“Shh, shh, just sit.”

“Hyung–”

“Are you sitting?”

“I’m sitting!”

Sunggyu smiled at his brother’s exasperation. It was fun to mess around with him. But in this moment, he was completely serious. “Myungsoo. You want this guy to like you right?”

“Yes…”

“Want him to give you some attention to at least get to know you better?”

“Of course.”

“Then – hear me out – you’re going to have to turn into a bad boy.”

Myungsoo’s eyes almost bulged out of his skill at the pure fear of the idea. “A b-bad boy?! But… I can’t do that! I’m not bad at all! Besides, why should anyone like Sungyeol date someone who’s not good to him?”

“Because he’s into that, you dingus. We were just over this. Besides, he probably likes that kind of excitement and fire in a relationship.” Sunggyu smirked a little bit, leaning back smugly. “After all, why do you think Woohyun wanted to date me so badly? I was the baddest kid in our grade– Don’t give me that look, Myungsoo, I was the biggest bad boy in our school, okay?”

Myungsoo snickered to himself. “Sorry, I just… didn’t realize Woohyun was into that kind of thing. He’s so sweet, I didn’t think he was into bad boys.”

Woohyun was Sunggyu’s long term boyfriend and fiancée. They had been dating since their last year of high school and were madly in love from the start. Myungsoo couldn’t remember a time where they weren’t a couple. Woohyun was practically already part of their family by the time they had graduated from college. It was a wonder that Sunggyu had only proposed to him last summer.

He was a really motherly figure – at least to Myungsoo, he was. He was always warm and caring, always making Myungsoo tea whenever he was sick and constantly churning cookies and cupcakes out of his oven. He remembered Sunggyu telling him that picking their apartment took forever solely because he was looking for a good quality oven. He was always excited to come over for dinner because Woohyun’s food was the best home cooked food around.

The idea that Woohyun was into bad boys like Sunggyu (supposedly) was struck him as a funny thing. But to each his own.

“He was into bad boys after meeting me,” Sunggyu continued. He laughed with arrogance as he gestured to his body. “I mean, who could resist such a bad boy charm? I practically exude everything dangerous.”

Yeah, okay.” Myungsoo looked away to try to stop himself from laughing. The image of his brother wearing leather or spiking his hair up was a weird one that, he’ll admit, he would rather never see.

“Anyways,” Sunggyu snapped, his eyes narrowing. He picked up his bag of chips again to begin snacking once more. “The point is that you’re going to have to change yourself up a bit to get his attention. You’re the definition of a nice guy, Myungsoo – Sungyeol won’t be interested in that. That’s too easy, you know? He probably wants someone to chase after.”

Myungsoo looked down, imagining the scenario in his head. He couldn’t really see himself being rude or mean to Sungyeol. Or even being a bad boy in the slightest. He couldn’t see it in himself. But if it was somewhere in Sunggyu then there must have been some bad in him somewhere…

And to admit it, he would honestly probably make those changes if it meant getting closer to Sungyeol.

“How… do I even start becoming a bad boy?” Myungsoo asked slowly.

The grin on Sunggyu’s face was ecstatic as he continued talking. “Oh, Myungsoo. Darling, baby brother. Turning into a bad boy will be the best experience of your life. Wait until you see how much more freedom you have.”

“Are you sure?” Myungsoo asked skeptically. “I don’t know if I fit that kind of image… I’m willing to try, but will it work?”

“Of course it’ll work! If it works for me it’ll work for anyone! I’ll show you what it feels like to break rules and all that jazz.”

“I don’t know…”

Sunggyu’s ears perked up at the sound of the front door to his apartment opening. “Oh crap, Woohyun’s home already– Myungsoo, let me show you really quickly what it’s like to be bad.”

“How?” Myungsoo asked confusedly as Sunggyu shot up from his seat. Faster than light, Sunggyu shoved his bag of chips into Myungsoo’s arms and lifted his feet onto the coffee table. “Hyung–?!”

“Hi, honey!” Sunggyu said, opening his arms as Woohyun walked in. “How was work today?”

Woohyun grinned as he leaned up to kiss his boyfriend. “It was good. How was yours?”

“Fantastic.” Sunggyu kissed him on the crown of his head. “What are you planning for dinner tonight?”

“Frittatas? How does that sound?” Woohyun looked up at his fiancée cutely, gauging his reaction.

Sunggyu smiled at him and ran his fingers through Woohyun’s blonde hair. “Sounds good to me.”

Myungsoo smiled at their interactions. His brother’s relationship was one that he aspired to have for himself. Well, maybe not exactly like theirs because they were so busy looking at each other that sometimes he got ignored. But most of the time, Woohyun would always go out of his way to talk to him.

“Wait a second.” Woohyun’s face suddenly fell as he sniffed the air. “Do I smell… sour cream and onion potato chips?”

“Oh, yeah. Myungsoo is over.” Sunggyu looked at his brother accusingly and Myungsoo could feel his jaw drop in betrayal.

“What–?!” he nearly shouted.

Woohyun immediately came over and shook his head at the sight of Myungsoo sitting there with a nearly empty family-sized bag of sour cream and onion potato chips and his legs sitting on the coffee table. “Myungsoo, what are you doing?”

“I wasn’t–” He snatched his legs off of the table and held up his hands in defense. “It wasn’t me!”

“Don’t lie, Myungsoo,” Sunggyu said from behind him, shaking his head. “Sorry, Woohyun, he’s been misbehaving lately.”

“It’s alright,” Woohyun told him. He picked up the chip bag from Myungsoo’s lap and folded it up. “We don’t allow junk food in this apartment, Myungsoo, remember? You had followed that rule so well…”

“Yeah, weird.” Sunggyu shrugged, nearly laughing at Myungsoo’s completely flabbergasted face. “He’s been having a hard time at work so maybe that’s why he’s been having a bad attitude.”

“Hyung!”

“Oh, maybe you just need to relax,” Woohyun said. He smiled and pat Myungsoo’s head. “Don’t worry – a good, hot dinner should fix you right up. No more bringing junk food into our apartment, okay? Sunggyu and I have been working really hard on our diets so we can’t have any snacks in our apartment.” He smiled broadly. “Your brother’s been doing really well actually!

“Oh, okay… sorry,” Myungsoo muttered. He glared up at Sunggyu as Woohyun walked away towards their bedroom to change. “Congratulations on sticking to your diet so well, hyung,” he bit out.

“Thanks,” Sunggyu replied cheekily, holding up a peace sign. He waited until Woohyun was completely shut in their bedroom before he leaned down to whisper in Myungsoo’s ear, “Also, bad boys don’t apologize. But we’ll work on that after dinner.”

Myungsoo really wasn’t sure what he was getting himself into. Bad boy lessons from Sunggyu sounded sketchy already. But he pursed his lips and nodded to himself. It was okay. This was all for Sungyeol. It was going to pay off in the end.


 

 

 

A/N: Oh Myungsoo you poor child what are you doing with yourself... so head over heels for your co-worker you don't even know what you're doing anymore... And Sunggyu why are you encouraging this. Poor kid got his name messed up by his crush.

Anyways i'm so happy to introduce the first chapter!! I hope you're liking it because I know I am! It feels good to be writing something comedic again! Feels real good ahahaha

Leave a comment for me down below with your thoughts or any predictions you might have about the future!! Subscribe for future chapters and upvotes are loved! ^^ <3333 See you in the next chapter.

¤ Quinnie ¤