Chapter Two

Petrichoric Scent

 

I got a call from Kyujong. I was walking down the cold sidewalk and had no one to talk to. This city felt so quiet today. Receiving a call from Kyujong was an unexpected relief,"Hello,"

 

"My sun, how is your day?"

 

"Nothing special, but also unusual."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Just, a bit complicated." Seungjun's words suddenly popped again in my head and it caused a sudden dizziness for a few seconds. I attempted to come to my sense,"Kyujong, where are you?"

 

"Bookstore café, grab a Wi-Fi, checking some feedbacks about your book. Oh, I also got a call from the publisher that the second volume will be ready in two weeks. Don't you think it's too soon? The flame is still burning."

 

"I'm sure it's alright. It has been fifteen months, or sixteen? It's better not to wait until it dies first."

 

"The publisher couldn't reach you. That's why they called me instead. What's up with your phone?" I quickly checked my phone screen. Five missed calls from the publisher and I didn't realise,"Too hectic lately." I giggled awkwardly. It was not a thing to be giggled on, meanwhile I couldn't let Kyujong to know. Kyujong started to speak again,"My sun, are you still there?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I read some feedbacks saying that their favourite part in the story when Seungjun stated that he didn't want Kei to get her lifetime cut twice." my step paused. I felt like the Earth also paused. The time wasn't ticking and everything turned frozen,"Kyujong, repeat that." Kyujong did what I told him to. 

 

I solved Seungjun's clue.

 

~~~

 

I was too pathetic to not remember the plotline of my own story. What had I been doing all this time? What kind of mess was there inside my mind? I should have been familiar with all of this, as Seungjun had told me so. I knew what he was terrified of. The fear in his eyes was the fear of me. He was afraid of me, who ruled his life with Kei. Although I didn't mean it. I wasn't God, and I didn't want to be either. 

 

I rapidly rushed back to the hospital to find Seungjun. As soon as I arrived there, Seungjun was alone in the room,"Seungjun, I'm sorry." I kneeled next to his hurting figure,"I wasn't aware. I really did not pretend to be clueless. Indeed I was. I was clueless. I understand what do you mean by Kei's lifetime was cut." I sighed following the short-term silence,"Kei, she has a cancer," I continued,"She refuses to undergo surgery or any therapy."

 

"Miss Yongsun, let's wrap up before Kei has done taking my stuffs from my apartment." Seungjun's hand gesture told me to get back standing on my feet. My legs were too shaky to be firm. I was aware that I would faint in anytime.

 

Seungjun's sight was glued to me. Did he expect me to be a psychic so that I could read his mind? Your mission failed, Seungjun. Seungjun started the conversation,"Kei is a pure soul trapped in innocent body and realistic mind. Well, I was realistic enough before, until it occurs." he continued,"Too specific to be called a coincidence, in the other hand I also know that you're not guilty. In fact, it happens that way."

 

"I'm sorry -"

 

"Miss Yongsun, why did you say sorry?" he questioned me with an intense look. Before I could answer him, he continued,"Why do you feel guilty?" one last question,"I don't know how you finally realised but, why did you quickly rush to here, saying that you're sorry like you accept a thing, which is beyond sanity, directly right after you realised it?" no word could get out of my lips. I was numb. I hoped he would stop. He wouldn't,"Because you have experienced this kind of situation before. This is not your first time." he breathed in,

 

"You have written three series so far including the one which Kei and I involve in it. The past two series, also turned into reality. You knew it, you found it out, all. At first, your mind led you to ignore everything and think that everything was just an unexpected coincidence. Nevertheless, it also happened to the second series. You started developing anxiety and guilty. You intended to stop writing, but you couldn't leave the world you live in. You attempted to forget everything, building an artificial amnesia on your own, as you was working for the third series." 

 

I couldn't breath properly as he finished his speech.

 

~~~

 

A few months after that day, I spent my whole life routine only at home. I had no courage to go further than nearby convenience store or supermarket. I was aware to encounter Seungjun or Kei. Although I had no intention to see them, but Seungjun got my number and kept sending texts regarding how they did. It was like re-reading my own storyline as if it was in editing progress. Moreover, it was like counting days to someone's last chapter in life as I glued my attention to the dates shown on the texts. 

 

I tried to stay away from my phone, regardless the fact that Kyujong unstoppably calling and leaving countless voice mails,"I don't know why you're acting like this. I'm okay if we haven't seen each other for months. Maybe you need your own time but seriously, your book is out. Shouldn't you go check for it out there?"

 

"Yongsun, let's talk. Go out. Meet me."

 

"Yongsun, shall I visit you? Are you okay? Are you sick?" I said I need to be alone,

 

"Yongsun, it doesn't feel right."

 

Kyujong stopped calling after I left a voice mail,"Kyujong, I think this series is going to be my last writing ever. I... am going to quit this world."

 

He never called me since then, but one day he called me again telling that he was outside in front of my apartment door. On that day, it was also the day I was going to go outside not for daily convenience after receiving the longest message from Seungjun.

 


Continue to Chapter Three