ㅤㅤ “prelude”

ㅤㅤ “MEET THE CHOI'S”
prelude
joowon's video log
"is this thing even on?" a voice whines. there's some shuffling before the lens finally focus on joowon's pretty face.
"you had to remove the cover, idiot." someone says behind the camera, tone rich with sickening fondness and joowon immediately pouts. he snatches the camera back, all the while murmuring something along the lines of i knew that.
 
seojun is now in the frame, dark hair covering a good part of his forehead. there are prominent dark circles under his eyes and his complexion is a deadly pale. overall, he looks like the definition of a mess but joowon doesn't comment on it.
"okay so i'm gonna start video taping everything cause everyone's growing up so quickly!" he pauses to fix seojun's sweater with a quick flick of his hand before continuing, "we need memories to look back at and say holy i looked like crap back then."
"sounds good to me. can you help me with the grocery list now?" seojun asks with a soft smile. joowon yells an enthusiatic yes and sets the camera down on the kitchen counter, leveled towards the elder boy. he joins seojun's side, taking the notepad and pen from him before jotting down stuff that the elder says.
 
the next few minutes pass with the pair bickering light-heartedly over what should go on the list for the month's kitchen stock. there are a few instances when seojun covers the lens with a mischevious grin and pulls back just as quickly, their lips mysteriously turning a kiss-swollen pink over time.
"ugh, this is going nowhere. you decide on the rest yourself, you prick." joowon playfully punches seojun's shoulder after the elder turned down three of his suggestions. he lifts up the camera, assuming his role of cameraman once again and leaves seojun and the kitchen behind.
 
down the corridor is his next victim and joowon cackles lowly before calling out to jiu who looks like a deer caught in headlights, a cookie halfway into her open mouth.
"ah cookie monster! binging already, huh?" joowon chirps, zooming in and out of jiu's face as she finishes swallowing her cookie and points out the camera.
"why are you carrying that around, oppa?"
"ah, i'm gonna start recording all of our precious memories," joowon explains and then starts cooing, "u-ah, you've grown so well." jiu flushes under the praise, smacking joowon in embarrassment, who just laughs obnoxiously as he pulls her cheeks.
"oppa, i'm not the only one who grew up well though. look at how handsome you are now." she retorts with a wink and joowon pans the camera at himself, making completely unnecessary y expressions with justin timberlake's y back as the background music, courtesy of jiu.
 
"what's with all this noise?" comes a voice from somewhere off-camera. joowon turns to show jubong standing at the foot of the staircase, a thick book under his arm and an expression on his face that resembled a pissed off rhino.
to the side, jiu lets out a small squeak and scurries past the boy, leaving joowon alone with jubong. 
"aye jumong, say hi to the camera!"
jubong scowls beautifully and stomps up to his room while mumbling leave me alone under his breath. the soud of his door slamming shut follows soon after and joowon just sighs, a heavy sound, then continues his journey to the backyard.
 
just as he slides the door leading to the backyard open, an alarmingly loud wail fills the air.
"oh my god what happened?" joowon rushes to jitae, who was seated on his with one knee pulled close to his tiny body. junsoo was muttering soothing words to the young boy but as soon as he spotted joowon, he pulled back and moved to the side with a closed expression.
"he fell on his knee and now it's bleeding so he started crying." seyong narrates from the other side, his arms crossed over his chest and offering no help whatsoever.
"aw my poor baby. does it hurt badly?" joowon examines the bruise and jitae doesn't reply, he just continues to sob. junsoo brings a first-aid kit from the house and promptly starts to clean the cut on jitae's bony knee. soon enough, the small boy was just sniffling and choosing from the various cartoon band-aids that junsoo offered.
"can i have the ariel one?" jitae asks quietly, voice so low that joowon barely caught onto the words.
"of course you can, baby." joowon says quickly, and takes the band-aid from junsoo, whose eyes start twitching in annoyance. jitae smiles widely, and stares at the pink on his knee in an adorable way and joowon can't help but focus the camera on his ecstatic little face.
"why don't you go and sleep with haewonnie in the living room, tae?" junsoo says and jitae nods before skipping back into the house.
 
junsoo and seyong continue their small game of soccer, and joowon sits at the sidelines, recording the whole thing and occasionally cheering for them. it's when the two playing boys sit down and rest that seyong brings up jungah,
"why don't we call her down?" joowon suggests. seyong's eyes light up at that and junsoo just looks plain replused by anything that comes out of joowon's mouth. The camera continues recording the whole thing, a red light blinking next to the lens. Joowon and seyong begin chanting jungah's name, getting rowdier each time they do so and junsoo rolls his eyes at the side.
 
The sliding door rattles as jungah slams it open, her appearance completely dishevelled. there are thick strands of hair over her face, moving with every heaving breath she takes and her boxer shorts are on backwards.
"What is it?" She exhales, hands clutching her stomach as she regains control over her breathing. joowon scrambles to get the camera and starts walking towards the new victim.
"We just wanted you to play soccer with us." joowon states simply.
A vein pops in jungah's forehead, and the camera catches the change in her expressions; from confused to understanding and then straight out anger.
"To play soccer?" Her voice is dangerously low, "you called me out... just because you wanted me to play ing soccer? seriously? you guys know i'm busy studying for my midterms right now. why the hell are you wasting my time!" her voice goes progessively louder and she was positively fuming at the end of her outburst.
seojun pops up behind her, worried at the commotion but before he can say anything, she swivels and marches back to her room, leaving the boys behind in their shocked states. seyong quietly informs what happened to seojun and the two of them quickly follow after jungah. joowon sighs for the umpteenth time that morning and flips off junsoo when the man starts to laugh, clearly finding the situation amusing and joowon tells him just that.
"what? don't blame me for enjoying that entertainment." junsoo deadpans, before shoving past joowon and into the house.
 
joowon turns the camera around, towards himself, "okay so that was... unexpected. to future jungah who watches this, i'm super sorry baby," he does his best aegyo and starts moving back into the house, "i guess it's not a choi morning if we don't have at least one person screaming at the top of their lungs." joowon tries to joke, but it comes out dry.
the frame sweeps to the scene in the living room, where jitae was cuddled up against a napping haewon. the both of them were sharing earbuds, their mouths agape and there was some drool in jitae's case. joowon starts cooing, shooting the sight from all angles and even took some photos on his phone.
 
he glances at the time on the screen and then looks at the camera, "it's gonna be lunch time soon for us so i guess this memory has gotta cut off here. to the future choi's who will watch this, i hope you guys are living happily. bye bye." joowon smiles and waves then the video cuts off.
authors' note
1.3k of the choi's. damn they're complicated af. they are all little s but i love little s so whhoooopppss. - Annie
 
how was that? was it good? bad? feedback, s'il vous plait! so that was the introduction chapter for meet the choi's. hopefully we can make the actual chapters longer but hey, no promises. - beth