Chapter 01

Bickering

 

“What do you mean it’s not the same thing? I could beat you with one hand tied behind my back!”

"That’s the point! You’re supposed to play football with your feet, not your hands, I could beat you with both hands tied behind my back, simply because you're not supposed to use hands!”

The younger teen glared at the other and Taekwoon swore he didn’t notice the adorable pout on the pink haired male’s lips. If he weren't that much of a massive nerd, Lee Hongbin could make anyone fall at his feet in the blink of an eye, but Taekwoon obviously could never fall for that cute acting. Not at all, or at least not when the guy was apparently convinced that playing FIFA was the same thing as having a real life match and Taekwoon, raising star of the local football team, couldn't let such false statements slip by like that. He was so upset that his hands were moving in wide gestures over his still fuming --and untouched-- coffee, cheeks warm and voice strangely loud for his standards. 

“You just can’t compare the feeling of the muscles in your thighs on fire with the ache in your thumbs from playing too much with the play station, come on” and the boy thought he was hallucinating because he swore Hongbin’s eyes flicked down to Taekwoon’s thighs for a moment “It’s all about… running. And stuff. You can’t just sit still until your goes flat and say that you're playing football, it’s just not the same thing.”

“But you still make goals! And cheer when you win!” Hongbin insisted stubbornly. This was getting ridiculous and people in the coffee shop were staring at them. Again, second time that week.

All Taekwoon wanted when he stepped into the coffee shop besides the campus was to drink his coffee in silence while he kept company to Hakyeon who was studying for his finals. He didn't know that Hakyeon wasn't really in need of more company since his friends were there too. Not that Taekwoon minded, they were his friends too in a way, but somehow he would end up arguing with Hongbin each time they met and over the silliest of things. Last time was about how the younger thought of americanos as real coffee and he, always loyal to his black, unsweetened doppio espresso, argued that was basically coloured water. For some reason their other four friends just let them argue it over and almost completely ignore them. They would some times engage in an entirely different conversation to block out the noise caused by Taekwoon and Hongbin’s argument as if it wasn't happening at all. Other times Jaehwan and Sanghyuk would laugh at them while Wonshik would send suggestive looks to Taekwoon, only to burst out laughing if the older blushed, because apparently Wonshik was certain that Taekwoon found Hongbin incredibly cute when arguing. Ridiculous. Hakyeon, on his side, always looked as annoyed as ever.

“You don’t even– You’re not even kicking the ball, you’re just pressing random buttons on your remote!”

“It’s called joystick…”

"Whatever, I’m not joining.”

Hongbin looked down at his cup with that puppy beaten expression that made Taekwoon want to slam his head on the table because the brat was pouting again. He felt bad for refusing the offer of a FIFA game with the younger male, but he really couldn’t cancel his training for the afternoon. It definitely wasn’t because he was scared of not being able to handle his little crush for the boy if he ever got alone time with Hongbin, with his cute black framed glasses and cotton candy hair. Besides, he could always ask someone else, right? Sanghyuk, for example, they seemed to get along so well.

“Ask Sanghyuk” The mentioned parted his lips to say something, but Hakyeon shushed him with a single glance.

Hongbin pursed his lips and spoke quietly to his green tea latte. “But you like soccer…”

“I like real soccer, how are you even supposed to cheer–”

“Oh for the love of me, Taekwoon!" Hakyeon interrupted him "The guy’s just trying to ask you out!” And Taekwoon froze. He looked at Hakyeon with a frown on his face, as if the guy had just grown another head, because that was just ridiculous: Hongbin asking him out? Cute smart guys weren't supposed to go out with scary-looking drop-outs like him. Hakyeon returned the glare with an intensity that would have scared him off if it wasn’t his best friend there in front of him. He didn’t dare to look at Hongbin, still not ready to fully process what Hakyeon said and instead moved his gaze toward the other three friends sat around the two joined tables. Wonshik was suddenly busy studying his own hands and Sanghyuk looked torn between laughing and running away in secondhand embarrassment. Jaehwan was, for once, deadly serious and the look that sent Taekwoon's way wasn’t exactly friendly as he spoke.

“Just how obtuse can you get, hm?” but before he got the chance to answer or threaten Jaehwan's life, the sound of a chair dragging on the floor caught his attention, eyes shooting toward the source of the noise and what he saw made his heart squeeze painfully in his chest. Bright red cheeks and unshed tears b at the corner of his eyes, Hongbin looked on the verge of crying while gathering his stuff, without even bothering to put his coat on before storming toward the exit.

In that moment Taekwoon realised he hated the thought of Hongbin crying.

Before he could even bring his body to move, the younger man was already out the coffee shop and Taekwoon suddenly didn’t care for his friends’ protests, their voices not even reaching his ears while he moved in a daze, basically jumping off his seat to run after Hongbin.

He found him with his coat still in his hands and Taekwoon wanted to scold him for not wearing it, until he reminded himself that at least Hongbin remembered to retrieve his coat before leaving the coffee shop.

“Hongbin!” he called out after him and the other stopped for a second, before starting to walk away again. So Taekwoon ran. Being the excellent athlete he was, it didn’t take much to reach Hongbin. Or maybe that was because the boy wanted to get caught since he didn't even start running to get away from him. Taekwoon didn’t dare to touch him anyway when he reached him, simply calling his name again in a much softer tone than before. His heart gave another painful squeeze when Hongbin’s hand raised to his face and he couldn’t see, but he knew he was wiping his tears away.

"Hongbin, I really can’t skip practice today.”

“I get it. You like real football more than stupid games anyway” I like you even more, thought Taekwoon, but the words refused to get past his tongue. He sighed again and tentatively reached to tap on Hongbin’s arm, hoping to bring the other to turn around. Hongbin, although reluctant and glaring at the ground, complied.

“I can’t skip practice today” Taekwoon repeated “But I
never said you can’t come with me.”

“What?” Hongbin's head snapped upward with his pretty, big eyes widening.

"And then… Maybe… We can-- you know, play that game you were talking about? If you… Yeah, if you still… want it, that is.” Taekwoon was positive his face had never felt warmer, and despite his knees feeling like jelly and threatening to give up right there and then, he had to make sure Hongbin would get the message. He needed Hongbin to realise that despite all their silly arguments he was okay, more than okay with the younger asking him out.

Hongbin’s cheeks quickly darkened as well, until his face was close to crimson, his doe eyes softening behind the thick framed glasses, and he was soon breaking in a bright, dimpled blessed smile, taking Taekwoon by surprise when he suddenly threw his arms around the taller one, unceremoniously dropping his bag and coat on the ground to squeeze him tight. That’s so cliché, Taekwoon thought, but he was far from complaining while the other held him in such a bones breaking hug.

Taekwoon smiled and murmured close to Hongbin's
ear. “Is that a yes?”

"I asked you first." was the reply he got. Taekwoon snorted.

"I'm asking you now."

"That's unfair!"

"But I'm older."

"Taekwoon!"

And the Taekwoon allowed himself to melt in a nervous little laugh. "Let's just go, okay?"

"Go take your coat first.

"...Fine." and even though he for once let Hongbin have the last word, he was rewarded with another blinding smile, and Taekwoon didn't find even a single reason to complain.

 

----notes----

I got this idea while watching a movie and I couldn't stop thinking how the bickering couple trope was perfect for Leobin. I hope you enjoyed it and please don't forget to comment and tell me what you think of it. Thank you for reading!

( this might or might not turn in a two or three shot. )