Her

If I Don't Remember You

I looked down at my phone, trying to find a way home. I don’t even remember why I came here in the first place. My amnesia is acting up again. It’s been awhile since it happened. The last time it happened, I was in a stranger’s house, preparing sandwiches for him. Who’s that stranger? I don’t remember.

Suddenly, I felt a force pushed me and we tumbled to the grass patch by the side walk. I winced and sat, tidying myself, dusting off the grass and dirt from my clothes and arms. “Kwanchana?” the stranger asked me frantically, checking on me. Okay, who is he? I just stared at him with a puzzled look on my face before pushing him away. I could tell he was taken aback by my action and looked at me with wide eyes. “I’m fine. Thanks for saving me” I stood up and cleaned my pants off any dirt or grass. “Yah, why didn’t you listen to me and stay at the table? Why did you wander around on your own? Why didn’t you move away from the bicycle? Don’t you know how dangerous that was?” he started berating me.

Hold on, who is this stranger? I know he just saved me but why is he berating me and asking so many questions at once like we’ve known each other for a long time? Didn’t we just met? Do I know him? My amnesia is killing me! I held on to my head as I felt it throbbing as I tried my hardest to remember him. “Kwanchana?” he asked me once again. “Kwanchana” I just replied. Being the curious kid I have always been, or maybe just because of my amnesia, ”I’m sorry. But do we know each other?” I asked him as I picked up my bag from the grass patch. He looked at me for a while before replying me. “Maybe. But I was just showing concern, after all, I saved you, didn’t I?” he gave me a warm smile. That’s a really nice smile I thought. “I’m sorry if it made you uncomfortable.” he broke my train of thoughts. I smiled back and thanked him for pushing me away and saving me. “Give me a moment” he said as he tried to walk away but stopped and winced slightly. I looked down on his knee and saw a pretty bad abrasion on his knee, with blood flowing out. “Omo!” I covered my mouth, “Kwanchana?” I squatted and looked at his injured knee, taking out tissue paper from my bag and dabbed on the blood. “There’s a convenience store nearby. I’m sure I’ll be able to get some antiseptic and plaster to treat your wound” I stood up and looked up at him, damn he’s tall. “You should take a seat first” I helped him to a bench nearby. “It’s fine. You don’t have to…” he protested but I cut him off before he could finish his sentence. ”I insist. You got injured because of me” I stared at him playfully, the way I would when I’m trying to establish dominance and fake my anger. He gave in, nodding his head and gesturing for me to get going. I got some wipes, antiseptic and plasters from the convenience store.

I started wiping his wound clean and applied some antiseptic on the injury which caused him to cry out in pain. Really? A tall, muscular (I mean, he looks like he has a well-toned body) guy is crying out in pain. “It hurts!” he cried, grabbing his thigh. I just laughed and dabbed on his wound lightly, trying to reduce the pain he will feel. “All done!” I stood up after putting the plaster over his wound. “Kamsahamnida” he said as he stood up, trying to go somewhere. “Where do you think you’re going?” I looked at him with wide-eyes, pushing him back to the bench when he tried to get up. “I’m trying to pick those up” he pointed to something. “I dropped them” I looked to where he was pointing at and I saw 2 coffee cups from the convenience store on the floor. I walked over, picked them up and threw them into a bin. “Jwesonghamnida” I apologized to him when I got back to the bench. “Ah kwanchana” he waved his hand. I sat down beside him, not knowing what to do next. “Wanna grab some coffee?” I just said, looking at him. Why did I even say that though? “As a way to thank you for saving me and to apologize for your coffee” I said quickly when he just looked at me. He smile formed on his face and he nodded his head, agreeing to my proposal. “I know a café not too far from here. Maybe we could go there? The ambience is great and I’m sure you’ll love it” he suggested as I helped him up from the bench. I looked at him and looked at his knee, trying to remind him of his injury. “I drives”  but I just continue looking at him, reminding him, yet again, about his injured knee. “I’m fine! Look!” he started walking on his own without my help, limping slightly. “I’m really fine” he stood a little further away from me. “Arasso” I gave in and walked up to him and headed for his car.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo” the barista greeted us cheerfully. “Caramel Macchiato and Americano?” she asked. “Yes please” he replied. How did she know what we would like to order? This is my first time here and we just entered the café. “Orders will be served shortly. Please take a seat!” she gestured. “So happy to see the both of you!” she said excitedly but I just smiled, confused. I looked over to him, waiting for an explanation from him. “She’s my friend” he simply said. “Caramel Macchiato is the best seller here and I like Americano” he continued, almost able to read my mind and know what I was going to ask next.

”Please enjoy!” the drinks were served. “Kamsahamnida” the both of us said at the same time. The café has a warm, inviting ambience and atmosphere, well decorated with wooden furniture, geometrical caged light bulbs and fresh flowers on each table. It was also playing slow jazz music, the kind I love to listen to as I’m sipping on a nice cup of coffee. He definitely wasn’t lying when he said the ambience is great and I would love it. “Thanks for bringing me here” I held up my coffee and took a sip. “Glad you like this place” he took a sip of his coffee too. We talked and laughed, having a great conversation with one another. “You know, I actually still don’t know your name and you haven’t introduced yourself to me either” I said. He grinned and looked down shaking his head. “Kim Nam-joon” he held out his hand for a hand shake. “But you can call me Rap Monster” I took his hand and shook it, introducing myself to him too.

 

“It’s getting late. I should get home” I got up from my seat. “Let me send you” he offered. “Ah kwanchana. I can get home on my own” rejecting his offer. “Didn’t you just say it’s getting late? I’ll feel safer if I see you home” he insisted. Damn, he always have a way to make things go his way. He was already half way out the door when I snapped back to reality. “Are you coming?” he looked back at me. “Neh~!”

 

“Thanks for the ride” I bowed my head slightly as I removed the seatbelt and got off the car. As I unlocked the gate to the building, I heard him calling out to me. I turned around, looking at him, holding on the gate. “Uh..” he stammered. I tilted my head sideways looking at him, “Eh?” I asked. “Would you like to go out tomorrow?” he asked. “With me” he scratched the back of his head, looking at the floor. I chuckled at how shy he is, nodding my head, I agreed. “So.. I’ll pick you up tomorrow? At 11?” he proposed. “Sure! See you tomorrow” I waved. “See you tomorrow” he held up his hand. Just as I was about to enter the gates, I turned around quickly, “Rapmon?” I called out just before he got into his car. “If I don’t remember you, or anything at all” my voice lowered. “I’m sorry. Please don’t blame me” I pleaded, looking down. “I won’t” his voice sounded assuring. He waved for me to head in, smiling widely at me before getting into his car.