Final

Runaway

"Mom, I already told you, I don't want to marry him!" You yelled at the top of your voice, and your mother slapped you across the face. "Remember what your father said? You marry him, there's no way out of this! We let you do whatever you want, and you end up with a peasant. There's no room for discussion here, this conversation is over." Storming out the room, your mother slammed the door behind her.

Such was the life of an average chaebol, and sometimes you wished you weren't born into the family.

You'd rather be one of those average households, living in a flat with your parents, being able to enjoy life without worrying about high society parties and others' impressions of you.

In your parents' eyes, your latest news was too much for them to handle. They'd found out you'd been dating a friend from high school, Kim Mingyu. He came from an average background, his parents neither too rich nor too poor, average grades, and the like. Upset that you'd chosen someone like him, your parents had decided to force you into an arranged marriage that both sides would benefit from.

You'd met him only once in your life. Your new fiancé was both quiet and sullen, having a rather depressing aura around him. When you'd tried to strike up a conversation with him, he simply gave you one word replies, and his brother was much more friendly and fun to be around. Unfortunately, you got engaged to the former.

A maid came in, hushing you and telling you to get dressed. The stinging sensation on your cheek hadn't faded, but you hurriedly put on a nice dress, and quickly applied some light makeup. The same maid squeezed your shoulder, and brushed your hair. "I'll be okay, miss. Good luck." With that, she left. Grabbing a pair of earrings and a necklace, you raced down the stairs. Slipping a pair of heels onto your feet, you walked briskly to your limo. A grunt from your dad informed you that would be the only thing he would say to you that night.

Sitting up straight and pulling out your phone, you sent a text to Mingyu, whose name you'd saved as Minkyung, in order to make your parents less suspicious.

Minkyung: I miss you already.

You: I can't help it, I have a fancy dinner tonight. Meeting the fiancé, bleah.

Minkyung: That , but it's okay. I'll see you tomorrow at 5?

You: Call. See you!

Your mother peered over your shoulder and smiled. "I'm glad you have more female friends now, and I hope you're staying away from that peasant boy." You pretended not to hear what she said, occupying yourself by untangling your earpieces. Sticking your earpieces in, you started playing some music. Sighing, you looked out the window and smiled. Tomorrow was definitely worth looking forward to.


"This is Wonwoo, dear. Say hello." Forcing a smile, you reached out to shake Wonwoo's hand, only to have him ignore you and turn away. His mother sighed, and you shook your head. "It's alright, ma'am." She smiled at you, and patted your hand. "Nonsense, call me mom. After all, in a few months you'll be my daughter-in-law." Nodding, you were seated next to Wonwoo, as your future mother-in-law, Mrs. Jeon, asked the butler to bring out the appetisers.

Wonwoo sighed deeply, and you couldn't help but want to take out your phone to text 'Minkyung'. Picking up your fork, you decided to start eating, whether or not Wonwoo would talk to you.

After a painfully silent meal, the two of you were ushered outside by your parents, to talk and have fun with each other. Wonwoo still hadn't spoken, and you had given up on trying to talk to him. He'd mustered up the courage to hold your hand though, and you had to smile at that, just a little.

"Do you know why I'm so quiet?" Wonwoo spoke up, and you blinked. "Why, Wonwoo?" He turned to you and held your other hand.

"It's because I've liked you for forever."


Still dazed, you left Wonwoo's house and got into the car. "How was spending time with Wonwoo?" You shrugged off your mother's question, taking out your phone and texting Mingyu. "Doesn't matter." She sighed, turning to your father. "Well, what did the Jeons say?" Your father smiled brightly. "They said our daughter's lovely, and they can't wait to marry them."

You plugged your earpieces in again, blocking out their words.

But you couldn't block out Wonwoo's words, his confession rang throughout your mind for the rest of the night.


"Mingyu!" You tackled the boy in front of you, and he grinned. "Hey, I missed you." Slinging his arms around your shoulder, Mingyu pressed a kiss to your cheek. Smiling, the two of you headed towards the arcade. Mingyu promised you that he'd bring you to play some games, and you were excited. You had various consoles at home, but none of them could beat the more realistic controls of the arcade.

Just when you reached the mall, Mingyu slipped his hand into yours, tugging you towards the arcade.

"What do we have here?" You turned, only to see your fiancé standing behind you. "So, this entire time, you liked someone else?" He scoffed, turning his back to you. "I guess your parents will just have to find out the hard way." Mingyu raised his fist at Wonwoo, but you held him back. Trembling, you tugged Mingyu into the arcade.

"This might end up being out last day together, let's not ruin it."

Mingyu grit his teeth, and pulled out his wallet. "In that case, I'm going to spoil you today."


When you arrived home that night, you saw your parents sitting on the couch, waiting for you. You knew you were in deep trouble, and you were right. They banned you from leaving the house until you got married, school being the only exception. On top of that, they took the liberty of getting someone to join your class and make sure you weren't able to communicate with Mingyu. The second you got home, your phone would be taken away.

This was torture, and you refused to talk to either of them. Slamming the door to your room, you threw yourself onto your bed and cried.

Jeon Wonwoo was going to regret everything he did.


You broke up with Mingyu.

No longer wanting to get him involved, you talked to him, and he understood. "It's okay, don't worry about me." He'd given you so much, and loved you. You couldn't repay him, and were just a toy in your parents' hands.

You'd shut yourself away from everyone. Especially Wonwoo, who often appeared at meal times to try and sit with you. You'd completely ignored his presence, angry. He'd look crestfallen every time you turned away from him, but you remained strong. You didn't want to give in.


Your parents had shifted up the wedding to the next month, and you were not looking forward to marrying Wonwoo in three weeks. You'd already been fitted for the dress, ordered the catering, and more. Any requests from you were shut down, and the ideal wedding was planned. At least, in your parents' eyes. You missed Mingyu, and didn't know what else to do.

You'd been given leave from school, and so you spent your days gaming on your consoles, being unable to leave the house. Occasionally, your parents brought you out to eat. Even then, the Jeons were invited to join you at your dinner table, wherever it was.

Soon, your wedding day had arrived.

You couldn't wait for it to be over.


You were ready to walk down the aisle, your father's arm linked with yours. "I can't believe this day has come, where I have to see you get married." He smiled brightly, excited. "Trust me, I can't believe it either." Your face was black with rage. You didn't want to proceed with this at all, but it wasn't like you had any other option.

The curtains in front of you parted, and you began walking with your father. Wonwoo, your groom, was beaming. He did love you, after all.

You both exchanged vows, and the priest spoke, "If any of you object to this marriage, raise your objections, or stay forever in peace." You heard loud panting, and someone yelling, "I object!"

Mingyu! What was he doing here? Your eyes widened, and Wonwoo grit his teeth. Your father commanded the boydguards to eject him from the room, and the ceremony continued. A loud bang could be heard, and you knew it was over for Mingyu. Shoving Wonwoo aside, you ran out the hall and grasped for Mingyu. Holding him tightly, you started sobbing as someone called for the ambulance in the background.

"You shouldn't cry, you look pretty today." He reached out for your cheek, and you only sobbed harder.


"He'll be alright, so we'll just let him rest for now. He's out of the red." The doctor smiled, and you sighed out in relief. You couldn't believe that your father had actually ordered Mingyu dead after the wedding incident, and you promised you'd never talk to Mingyu again, as long as your father left him alone.

Handing the doctor a white envelope, you made him promise to give it Mingyu when he woke up.

Even though you'd never see him again, you wanted him to know he'd always have a special place in your heart.


"Pack up and get moving, we're sending you to your new house." Your father crossed his arms, and maids began moving in your room. They packed all your clothes into boxes and luggages, leaving you to pack up your accessories and any other essentials you had. Remaining silent, you handed the boxes over to your butler, who helped you load them into your limo.

Climbing into the limo, you looked down at your hands, refusing to say goodbye to your parents.

To you, you'd lost them a long time ago.


The servants at your new house hurriedly helped you unpack, and informed you that Wonwoo was at his father's company for training. Waving them off, you jumped onto your new bed, sinking into the mattress. At least it was soft and fluffy. All you had to do was kill time, and wait for him to come soon.

Soon enough, the door creaked open, and Wonwoo saw you sitting on your shared bed, scowling at the game.

"I'm home." You looked up at Wonwoo, and tilted your head. "Welcome back, was work tiring?" Wonwoo nodded, shrugging off his jacket. He was slightly shocked that you'd bothered to be decently nice to him, after all, you were forced into this marriage.

"If you're wondering about that, I might as well make an effort to get to know you well, right? We're going to be together until death, so why not?" You got off the bed, picking up his jacket and hanging it on a nearby coat hanger. He smiled, and patted your head. "We'll take it slowly. I hope he's.. Okay, right?" You smiled back at him, "Mm, he's still recovering, last I heard. But don't worry about him, he's strong."

Maybe Wonwoo would have a chance with you after all?


It had been a few months since the two of you had gotten married, and you both had definitely gotten closer. Your parents often planned outings for the two of you, and you learned how to have fun with your new husband. Perhaps you'd even learnt how to love him?

Whatever the case, Wonwoo was still madly in love with you. When you were younger, the two of you had met once, and that was all it took for him to be smitten.

You spent all your free time with Wonwoo, besides the occasional hanging out with your girl friends. You'd changed your number as well, and Mingyu had never heard from you ever again.

It was for the best.


You slowly fell in love with Wonwoo, and the two of you became intimate. Giving each other the occasional kiss and hug, you were definitely much more comfortable with him now.

Until you received a text from Mingyu.

He wanted to meet up and see how you were, whether you were happy with your life. He made it clear that he was no longer romantically interested in you, and just wanted some closure from your past relationship.

You agreed, wanting to give an ending to your broken fairytale with him.


Arriving home late, you noticed Wonwoo on the couch, waiting for you. "Hi, I'm home!" Wonwoo sat up, "Where'd you go?" You smiled brightly, "I know you're gonna flip and all, but I went to go see Mingyu! We went-" And he did flip out. "You went to see who?! Did you forget that we're married? Just when I finally thought we were going somewhere, you went to go see him?!"

Rolling your eyes, you continued, "I went to see him to get some closure on our past relationship, and meet his new girlfriend. But since you can't trust me enough to keep my legs closed around him, I suppose I'll just go to my room and sulk like a typical heroine in every other book." Flipping your hair, you stalked toward your bedroom, annoyed.

"That wasn't what I meant, I mean I-"

"Save it."


Days went by and your and Wonwoo's relationship didn't improve. Even though he was the one who accused you of cheating, he refused to apologize and you refused to back down. You'd done nothing wrong, and your pride was a big factor in this fight. With neither of you backing down, the strain on your relationship started getting worse. Wonwoo, who was smitten with you, started to come home later and later, the smell of alcohol on his breath.

You were starting to get worried, and you finally decided you'd back down. Unfortunately, you picked the wrong day.

Wonwoo had come back more drunk than ever, and he'd slapped you across the face when you tried to make amends. "There's no point in saving this relationship." He laughed, sounding so cruel. "It's already destroyed." You frowned at him, holding your cheek. "What do you mean?" You kept your voice clear and strong, holding up a front.

"Our relationship is destroyed because I've already cheated on you."


Wonwoo did not remember what he said the next morning.

You shunned him, completely refusing to look at him whatsoever. He didn't seem fazed, it was as if he already knew you'd found out. He stopped bothering to hide his affairs, and you ended up in tears nearly every day. Eventually, you decided you'd had enough.

Packing your stuff one morning, you moved to a house in Busan, far from your shared house with Wonwoo in Seoul. Your parents knew about the situation and pretended to know nothing about it when asked by the Jeons. Mrs Jeon was upset, having seen you as the perfect daughter-in-law. She aware of Wonwoo's cheating ways, and was happy you stuck by his side. Unfortunately for her, you were done.

Mingyu had arranged for you to stay with his friend, Jihoon, while you were hiding from your husband.

You secretly hoped Wonwoo would come grovelling back to you, remorseful and needy for your presence.


It'd been five years since then.

You had gotten tired of waiting.

Wonwoo was a file tucked in the back your head, you tried not to think about him. Getting a job helped, you were able to distract yourself from your failed love life with long hours of work. You refused to date anyone, insisting to yourself you were still married. You'd never be that cheat. However, you took your wedding ring off and used it as a necklace.

When you were asked about it, you wo say you lost the man you loved, which was true.

The Wonwoo you knew was long gone.

Within the five years, you got promoted to manager in your restaurant, and had many shifts.

You'd gotten a reservation under the name 'Miss Lee' for that night. Having prepared the table and private room, you sighed happily. Miss Lee had informed you about the setting of the room, one of quiet, subtle romance. Shaking your head, you erased any thoughts of Wonwoo before they even started. Picking up your notepad, you left the room to greet Miss Lee and her guest.


Soon after, you stared into the face of Miss Lee. Wow, was she gorgeous. From top to toe, she radiated glamour and elegance, something you wished you had. You politely escorted her to her private room, and she complimented the setting. "I wish I was good at this, thank you so much. I'm keen on impressing my boyfriend today, if I want to have my future set in stone." Her bright smile made you melt a little, you swore. She had that effect on people.

"I see, then, perhaps you'd like to start choosing a menu for the dinner?" She nodded and flipped through the menu, scanning the pages. "This set will do, it sounds lovely." Taking down her order, you thanked her and sped off to the kitchen. A while later, your buzzer rang. Miss Lee had specifically requested for you to come back, pressing the button for your buzzer.

The sight in the room caused you to cover your gaping mouth in shock, and you swore you felt tears spring to your eyes. "Please excuse me." Making a swift exit, you shoved the notepad into the arms of your coworker, quick footsteps taking you through the kitchen doors.

Miss Lee's guest, and boyfriend, was none other than Jeon Wonwoo.


Miss Lee was shocked, nonetheless, but she handled the situation. "Did you know her previously?" She stared at Wonwoo, a slight frown etched on her beautiful features. Wonwoo simply smiled, a look of deep thought on his face. Fiddling with the silver band on his pinky, he responded. "She's just an old friend."

The owner of the restaurant wasn't pleased with your reaction to seeing Wonwoo, and he sent you back to apologise.

You bowed to Miss Lee several times, to which she insisted the matter was trivial. Bowing to Wonwoo, you muttered out a sorry and left. It hurt enough to have to see him again, but to apologise for something you didn't do wrong, it was too much for you to handle.

Wonwoo noted how you'd put on some weight since he last saw you, the smile you flashed Miss Lee was brighter than hers. He could only remember the girl who he left in shambles five years ago. You looked happier, more content than you did before, even though you lead a simple life. Reminded of the reason he fell in love with you, the reason you two fought, and the reason you left, and he decided you'd be better off without him.

Reaching over the table to grab Miss Lee's hand, he smiled at her gently. He assured himself, that this was for your good. He'd pretend to be happy with someone else, so you'd move on.

Even if deep down, he still loved you.


[A/N: Phew, this took forever to write. Anyway, I hope you guys like this oneshot, and stay tuned for my next one that will (hopefully) come out soon, the part 3 of the prizes for the winners of Here Lies the Bride! Thank you WeAreOneEXO226 for being an active reader for HLTB and guessing correctly! If you haven't read Here Lies the Bride, you can click the link down below to read it. : )

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1048146/here-lies-the-bride-jun-mingyu-pledis-seventeen-wonwoo-woozi-hoshi ]