Final

Green Room

There he is, my co-trainee who looks older than me but he actually isn’t. Kim Mingyu. His name is quite something plus, he’s the only Kim among all of us. I can’t help but look at him, is it because he looks intimidating? Wow, he’s good looking too! What the heck am I talking about? He’s a co-trainee and he’s a year younger than me. And…he’s also a guy.

 

“Wonwoo ya~ ayo Wonu!” Jeon Wonwoo’s train of thoughts was cut off when he felt a pair of hands on his shoulder and a human figure in front of him, shaking him in the most alarming manner.

 

He blinked and looked at the person in front of him after being shaken relentlessly. “Ah yeah…Doyoon hyung? What’s up?”

 

Doyoon immediately hit the younger playfully on his arm causing Wonwoo to whine. “What the heck? You weren’t even listening! I was talking to you about how Cheol looks so good and stuff. Ya! You should listen to your hyung!”

 

“…”

 

“Won?” Doyoon looked quite frustrated while mumbling something about inattentive dongsaengs while following Wonwoo’s gaze which landed on the tall male figure who was sitting down on a corner with his eyes glued to his laptop screen and his earphones plugged on his ears.

 

So that’s what’s keeping Wonwoo’s attention span so low these days.

 

The older among the two stood up and made his away across the green room going straight to his other dongsaeng who was enjoying his time alone. “Hey Mingyu~ mind if I disturb you for a while?”

 

Mingyu removed his earphones while looking at his hyung confusedly. “Sure hyung. What’s up?”

 

“You see… I want you and Wonwoo to pair up for today’s activity…since you know, you’re paired up with Seungcheol but I want to pair up with him too. Please Mingyu~” he looked at him with those puppy eyes of his and the younger can’t help but scoff at his actions. “Alright hyung, I’ll pair up with Wonwoo hyung so please stop it with that…thing you’re doing” he chuckled.

 

“Alrighty then! Bye Mingyuuuu~” he then stood up and skipped his way back to Wonwoo and gave the younger a two-thumbs up.

 

Wonwoo just looked at his hyung who was grinning in the most stupid way possible. But before he could even say something, Seungcheol walked right towards them and asked Doyoon to have lunch with him which he quickly accepted leaving the younger alone.

 

As the trainees were leaving in either by pairs or in groups, Wonwoo was left alone inside the green room who was busily writing down his rap lyrics enthusiastically. He wasn’t even bothered by the fact that he was alone. He was on the third page of his second notebook and he seemed pretty relaxed while doing so. He lifted his head a bit and did some stretching before calling it a day.

 

He was now inside their dorm watching Mingyu taking care of their youngest two, Dongjin and Samuel. He wasn’t even sure why he was watching him when he could watch the other members do stupid things like SoonSeok doing weird dances with Seungkwan. Or Mingming and Junhui having a conversation in their mother tongue with his Jisoo hyung trying to guess what they’re saying.

 

“Hey Wonwoooooo~” he snapped back to reality when he felt someone placing their hands on his shoulder, he turned around to see Doyoon with a very cheeky smile plastered on his face. “You see Wonwoo, you shouldn’t stare at Mingyu like that. Wait- is that drool?” he pointed at the corner of Wonwoo’s mouth. “Oh my God, Wonwoo!” he shrieked. He could he Hansol groaning from the other side telling them that they’re not supposed to say ‘Oh My God’.

 

“Look hyung…see, I can’t- I don’t even know what’s wrong with me. I just find myself staring at him and it’s not nice too… he might even think that I’m weird right now. Ugh hyung~” he slammed his head on his pillow with Doyoon laughing hysterically at him.

 

 

Months had passed and Wonwoo was still staring at their tallest member. Of course he had a few interactions with the younger but they were restrained since he was afraid the Mingyu might notice that there was something off about Wonwoo. The way he’d casually stutter, the way he’d cover his face with the sleeves of his sweater paws and his beanie that had seemed to be glued to his head, Mingyu found it absolutely adorable.

 

Early February that next year, Wonwoo was teamed up with Mingyu and Chan as they were planning on a mixtape that they could do together. They were inside their green painted practice room sitting on one of the available chairs with their laptops out as the others were practicing the tasks that were given to them. Mingyu was amazed at how the older was work focused; he almost forgot that Wonwoo usually would stutter when talking to him about other stuff. “So this is how Jeon Wonwoo looks when he’s on work mode” he told himself. He found himself staring at the older then he’d casually pretend that he’s working whenever the older would look up from his laptop then to Chan’s to help with his lyrics as well.

 

“Mingyu, are you done?” he heard Wonwoo ask him, he froze on the spot and turned to look at the older who was only inches away from him. He started sweating bullets which he didn’t know that it was possible for him to do so. He was flabbergasted at how close Wonwoo was to him physically right now; his eyes went down to his lips. He wanted to kiss him so badly but he didn’t, he tried his best to resist the urge and so he continued with his work after confirming to the older that he was done and now ready to record.

 

 

The two gradually got closer to the extent where they share secret glances towards each other. Smiles and jokes, some secrets as well and soon the two became best friends. Their oldest, Seungcheol was glad that the two were not as awkward as they were during the first meeting and he saw something else hidden within them. Behind those smiles and stares, “what are you doing looking at them like that?” Doyoon stood behind him startling Seungcheol.

 

The older turned around and smiled, “don’t you think they’re in love?” he asked him and Doyoon looked at Wonwoo and Mingyu then back at him. “It’s too early for them… I mean yeah, Won sort of likes Mingyu for a long time now.”

 

Seungcheol turned to face Doyoon, “wait- Won likes Mingyu? Mingyu likes Wonwoo… “

 

“So…those two actually like each other and they’re just too dumb to notice?” Soonyoung peeked from behind Doyoon who almost jumped in shock. Seeing Doyoon’s expression made Soonyoung hold a fit of laughter causing some of their members to turn their heads towards them except for Wonwoo and Mingyu who were busy in their own world.

 

“We have to do something…” Doyoon grinned mischievously.

 

 

The next days were practically filled with Doyoon trying to get Wonwoo and Mingyu to confess their feelings towards each other but every time he did, another activity was being given to them causing him to have his plans set for when their activities are done.

 

Mingyu was sitting on the practice room floor bathed in sweat after dancing vigorously; he rested his head on the wall that was behind him still trying to catch his breath. “Here~” Wonwoo said as he gave him a bottle of water which the younger gladly took and drank everything in one go. “How’s practice in your team going?” the younger asked him. Wonwoo just shrugged his shoulders then sat down beside him making the younger rest his head on his shoulders. Seungcheol was just observing the two, not only him but Mingming as well.

 

A few days ago, Mingming walked inside the practice room to look for his iPod which he left somewhere near Junhui’s stuff and he found Mingyu back hugging Wonwoo affectionately. At first he thought that the two were just playing but as he got closer, he saw Mingyu whisper something to Wonwoo causing the older to giggle. Mingming quickly got his iPod and the rest of Junhui’s stuff before running out of the practice room quietly.

 

“They don’t know…but they’re practically dating” Junhui whispered to Mingming who was watching the two, “maybe we should too~” he continued making Mingming jump onto him to start with their little wrestling game with Doyoon busy playing with his tablet not minding his two cute dongsaengs.

 

 

Months later, SEVENTEEN was gathered around the green practice room due to the news that Doyoon was going to tell them. It was only a week after their last evaluation and they were yet to find out the results. Wonwoo sat beside Doyoon who was in the middle of him and Seungcheol while Mingyu was seated beside Wonwoo. Seeing Doyoon’s sullen expression, Wonwoo got nervous to know what his hyung’s announcement was. Everybody was now settled down in a huge circle with that familiar tension surrounding them.

 

Seungcheol looked at Doyoon who gave him a sad smile. Doyoon sighed then looked at all of their members’ faces one by one before starting off, “so you know…about our evaluation last week. Those who didn’t pass will have to pack their bags and…leave” his voice cracked on the last word.

 

Wonwoo looked at Doyoon, “hyung-“

 

The older cut him off by patting his thigh gently and continued, “I…didn’t pass…along with two others.” He looked at Mingming who had his head hung low and Dongjin who was practically crying. “We three are going to leave Pledis today while the rest of you get to debut pretty soon actually.” He stopped again feeling the tears pooling in his eyes. All of them stood up and hugged Doyoon, Mingming and Dongjin who were now crying. All of them but Samuel.

 

The youngest watched them hug each other then started crying as well. Mingyu saw him and went to hug him tightly, “Muel ah~ I know. Them leaving is really painful, I wish we’d debut together.” He said while trying to calm the younger down but Samuel broke down even more. “H-hyung...” he said, “I’m leaving too…” he managed to say in between sobs. “What?  What are you talking about, Muel ah?” Samuel cried even more making the members turn to him, “my parents are pulling me out of the company.”

 

All of them huddled together and hugged each other once again leaving no member behind. Mingyu caught a glimpse of Wonwoo whom he thought he looked beautiful while crying. He wanted to hug the older right then and there but he had to console Samuel first. The older must be so heartbroken to find out that one of his closest friends didn’t make it to the group.

 

Mingyu had a long talk with Doyoon after Wonwoo had given his goodbyes to the ones who are leaving. The younger went back to their dorm to find Wonwoo staring blankly into space while lying down on the cold living room floor. The younger went inside his shared bedroom to change his clothes and rest but when he decided to make some ramyeon for himself, he found out that Wonwoo was still there and he also found out that the older didn’t eat anything since Doyoon left. He walked towards Wonwoo and lied down beside him, “hyung~ why didn’t you eat? You should eat.” He told him but the older didn’t say anything, instead he just closed his eyes and heaved out a deep sigh. “Hyung, I’m going to cook ramyeon for us so we could eat together, okay?” he patted Wonwoo’s stomach gently and went towards the kitchen to make some ramyeon.

 

While waiting for the water to boil, Mingyu thought deeply about what Doyoon had told him.

 

“Wonwoo likes you, a lot. It may be love too. I don’t know what’s running inside Wonwoo’s mind. And you obviously like him too, right?” Mingyu nodded at the information, “I’m leaving and I’m worried about him. Won might go back to being quiet and alone, he might start isolating himself from others after this day is done too. Mingyu ah~ I’m counting on you. Take care of my best friend.” Doyoon patted his head and smiled before heading out of the dorm with his entire luggage. “I’m expecting something regarding with your relationship!” he yelled while waving the younger good bye.

 

“Wonwoo hyung likes me…” he muttered to himself as he was stirring the noodles in the pot. He started to smile like an idiot.

 

More months came by and Wonwoo was quiet as ever and it bothered Mingyu a lot. Not only him but their leader as well as they started with their new show called ‘17Project’. Wonwoo tried his best to look normal; he tried to interact with the rest of their members even with their new Chinese member, Minghao but he failed. They had their first few missions and they were all stressed since their debut was on the line right now. Mingyu failed to look after Wonwoo but he did his best to check on the older every now and then.

 

Their next mission came and Wonwoo was teamed up with Hoshi and Jeonghan. Mingyu found Wonwoo alone in their practice room again coming up with some rap lyrics. The older looked troubled that’s why Mingyu decided to approach him; he sat beside Wonwoo and held his hand causing the older to look at him. “What do you want Mingyu?” Wonwoo asked him. “Hyung, let’s hang-out~” he offered but Wonwoo refused and looked away from him. Mingyu couldn’t help it anymore; he cupped Wonwoo’s face and made him look at him. He inched his face closer to Wonwoo. Closer and closer until their lips were only inches apart. The older closed his eyes anticipation ruling all over him until he felt Mingyu’s soft lips pressed against his. He literally dropped his notebook and pen while trying to process what’s happening. The younger pulled away shortly then caressed Wonwoo’s cheek, “I’m worried about you hyung… you’re not yourself lately and it scared me. I like you, it might be love too and I’m afraid that you’d go back to your lonely self just as Doyoon hyung had told me. Hyung, I don’t want that.” He hugged the older tightly who just stiffened.

 

 

Mingyu likes me.

 

Kim freaking Mingyu likes me.

 

Wonwoo thought while he was still being hugged by Mingyu. He didn’t how to react so he did what was the first thing in his mind. “Mingyu…” he called out the younger’s name and Mingyu lifted his head only to meet with Wonwoo’s lips against his. The stayed like that for almost three minutes until the two of them figured out that they needed air as much as they need each other right now. “I like you too…” Wonwoo whispered as he blushed a deep shade of red.

 

Mingyu asked Wonwoo out and they continued with their secret relationship until their show was finished. One night, they decided to tell everybody before their big debut showcase and Doyoon was there too as he was invited by Wonwoo. Doyoon stood up and congratulated the two by hugging them; he then scolded the two for keeping their relationship a secret from him when he was only a call away. The older even told them to hold onto the relationship they have because he absolutely knows that those two will be together for a very long time.

 

The two sat down lovingly on the living room couch after their Mansae promotions, recalling about all the months they had as officially boyfriends. Their fights over little things, mostly either one of them being stupidly jealous over the other which was a normal thing though. Their secret dates inside their green painted practice room where they first saw each other.

 

“Wonwoo hyung, let’s keep on holding on, okay? Let’s not break up ever” he held Wonwoo’s hand and kissed the back of it causing the older to blush. Wonwoo nodded, “I don’t think I can ever let you go, Mingyu ya~”

 

“I love you hyung.” Mingyu told him.

 

 “Forever and always?” Wonwoo asked.

 

Mingyu hummed, “yeah~ forever and always.”

 

“I love you too, forever and always” Wonwoo said as he leaned closer to kiss Mingyu.