First Kiss

Crushed

Seated at a table outside of a convenient store, Choi YoungDo waited for his instant noodles to be ready. As he looked around, a beautiful black Ducati Triumph pulled up and a young man with a girl about his age, both clad in black got off the bike. Zhen RenLi walked into the convenient store as RenAi pulled off her helmet and walked over to sit in front of YoungDo.

“Seat’s taken,” YoungDo stated without looking up at her.

“This won’t take long,” RenAi stated, placing her helmet on the table in front of her. She ped her jacket and pulled out a thick envelope. She tossed it on the table next to his instant noodles.

YoungDo looked from the envelope to her, and then demanded, “What do you want?”

“Check it,” she shot back, waiting.

YoungDo opened the envelope to see legal documents and a contract. He frowned, eyeing them over, before he sat up straighter than before and asked, “Are you serious?”

“If you’re who I think you are, then this is ideal for you,” she replied.

YoungDo swallowed and then asked, “You’re leaving me all your automotive assets. You do realize that being an heiress of the Ducati industry entitles you to a lot more than what you currently are in possession of, right?” he asked.

RenAi shrugged, “It’s all yours if –” she stopped and waited.

Young Do shifted his glare to her eyes, “If?”

Without smiling, as he’d always known her to be, with a cold and calculating voice, she replied, “I’m getting out of the country within the next 48 hours.”

YoungDo scoffed and put the legal documents back into the envelope. “Sometimes, it’s fun messing with people. Other times, it’s just stupid,” he stated.

RenAi didn’t flinch. “I’m serious. Do me a favor and all of my current assets are yours.”

“No thanks,” YoungDo shook his head, “I wouldn’t risk pissing off one of the most powerful families.”

RenAi shrugged, “Then, do you want to marry me?”

YoungDo looked from her to the store and then back to her, “Are you any good in bed?” he teased.

RenAi smiled, “I guess you’ll just have to wait to find out.”

YoungDo smirked and then peeled back the top of his instant noodle. He broke apart his chopsticks and then swirled around the contents. “Why are you leaving so suddenly?” he asked, pretending not to care.

To be clear, RenAi belonged to one of the older Korean families who ran the political and international trade scene. She was the youngest daughter from Mr. Zhen’s first marriage. Her oldest brother would inherit the trade company, her other half siblings had stationed themselves in the higher ranks of the family companies, but RenAi always seemed to not care about any of the family businesses.

They had just entered high school, but she had become more moody than usual lately. Whether it was because Kim Tan wasn’t around anymore or that most of her friends had been scared off by her family’s power, YoungDo didn’t want to care. But he was curious. Of all the rich kids, she had the strangest behavior patterns.

“Why 48 hours?” YoungDo asked, unable to quell that curiosity.

“Why does it matter?” RenAi asked in return. When YoungDo raised his brows, she kicked the leg of the table, “There was an arrangement to settle an argument. Somehow, either I will be shipped off to somewhere or I can just leave on my own. Either way,” she ran her fingers through her hair and waited.

YoungDo shook his head, “You have more resources than me. How am I supposed to do what you can already do for yourself?” he asked.

RenAi rolled her eyes, “I just need your coverage. You’re the only other person who can ride a motorcycle without falling, and you know how to act up. I’ll just hang out with you a bit more than usual tomorrow and then that will be enough to secure me a possible excuse,” she added.

YoungDo felt his stomach fall, “You want me to be an excuse?”

RenAi looked away, “Tan isn’t here, so I can’t ask him.” She smiled, seeing YoungDo flinch at the name. She stood and picked up the envelope. She opened it and pulled out the contract. “You sign first and when I leave, I will sign the other part.”

RenLi stepped out of the convenient store with a bag and looked at RenAi as she stood and picked up her helmet. YoungDo nodded and returned his attention to his noodles, “I’ll see how I feel in 24 hours.”

RenAi sighed and walked around the table, dropping the envelope in front of him. “If you fail me, Kim Tan really is a better friend than you are.” She pulled on her helmet and walked over to her brother, who had already mounted the bike. He started it as she climbed on and wrapped her arms around his body. As they pulled out of the space, YoungDo watched, wondering how it would feel to ride the bike on his own.

***

With all the little girls in floral print and the little boys in small suits, there was one that wasn’t. The little American girl that smiled a lot but played like a little boy. It just happened that she played better than most of the little boys, which was why they accepted her as one of their own, to a certain degree.

It was tea time and the little ladies drank together. On the hill, under the trees, YoungDo opened his eyes and looked over to see RenAi napping next to him. When she napped, she looked like a girl. But when she opened her eyes and looked back at him, he asked, “Are you really a girl or a boy?”

“Wish I knew,” she replied and turned her face so that she could stare up at the sky.

YoungDo smiled and asked, “Is it better playing with me or the others?”

She shrugged, “There’s no difference.”

“There is a difference,” YoungDo insisted, and so when RenAi looked over at him for the answer, he replied, “I’m a better friend than the others.”

RenAi laughed and closed her eyes, “I thought you were going to say something big. Friends come and go, what’s the point?” she retorted.

YoungDo looked at her and then the sky, “Well, you’ll see. I’m the best kind of friend out there.”

And to his utter annoyance, RenAi smiled, “We’ll see about that.”

YoungDo sighed and watched as RenAi fell asleep right in front of him. With a sigh, he rolled onto his side so that he faced her and he whispered, “Why are you always falling asleep in front of me?”

***

YoungDo opened his eyes to see the wall and then he sighed, realizing it was just a dream. He sat up and kicked his feet over the edge of the bed. He pulled on his blazer but dressed down otherwise. He pulled his backpack on and walked out of his room. He got into the elevator and then rode it down to the first floor.

When he got out, he walked over to the awaiting car and then turned when he heard the engine of a Ducati. He turned to see RenAi ride up to him. She stopped and revved her engine twice.

YoungDo walked over to her and cocked his head to the right, “It does look very nice.”

RenAi smiled reached back and unbuckled the spare helmet. She tossed it to him and he pulled it on. He got on to the back of her bike and she yelled, “Hold on!” When YoungDo pulled his arms around her torso, she sped off without another word.

YoungDo breathed in deep and smiled, enjoying the view from the speed of the bike. He wondered if he could ride so fast and so steadily, as if not fearing anything in the world, not even death.

When they arrived at Empire High School, RenAi parked her bike in the teacher’s lot and then stowed the helmets. YoungDo waited for her and then walked with her down the parking hill and then towards the school.

“My flight leaves after school today. Please have your decision ready by then,” RenAi stated.

YoungDo’s eyes widened and he demanded, “I thought I had 48 hours.”

RenAi turned to him, “You did.” She pulled her hood over her head and added, “I have to leave sooner because of the plans I’ve made.” She stopped and then looked at YoungDo, “Why is it taking you so long to make up your mind?”

YoungDo shrugged at this. “Not that I care that much about what you and the others who have left are planning, but I might get lonely here.”

RenAi smiled, “I’ll check up on you through your SNS. Post the goods on there, and I’ll send you something whenever I can.” She sighed and looked up at their campus from the gate. “If you don’t help me, I’ll make you regret it. You know that, right?” she added sweetly.

YoungDo nodded, “I know. Let’s go,” he added, not liking the feeling of just standing there. He always felt antsy around RenAi. He didn’t understand it, he just felt it. To hear that she was leaving hurt him a bit, but he wasn’t about to admit the weakness.

***

YoungDo sat down across from RenAi and smiled at her, “I just remembered something.” He cocked his head from the right to the left and added, “Are you asking me for help because you think I can really help you or because your first crush isn’t around to do so?” he asked.

RenAi looked at him and then away, “What do you know about my first crush?”

YoungDo shrugged, “Kim Tan won’t be coming back any time soon, so what’s the shyness?”

RenAi turned from away back to him and her eyes were pointed, “Kim Tan was not my first crush. He could have been my first kiss, but I don’t remember because someone used to kiss me when I was asleep.”

YoungDo looked away and sighed, “We were kids back then so I don’t remember. Aish, you’re not fun to tease.” They were silent for a moment and then he asked, “Where will you go?”

RenAi sat back in her chair and replied, “First to California to see family and then on to a school I’ve already transferred to.” She smiled and then looked around, “Life abroad isn’t as restricting as it is here. Come and see me when you’ve figured yourself out,” she added, her eyes turning back to YoungDo.

Yoo Rachel put her tray down next to RenAi and sat down. “You look tired,” she stated, and then offered RenAi some of her face cream.

RenAi took it, looked at it, and then handed it back to Rachel, “You should take care of your skin if you’re going to become the next hot model for your mom’s company.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and took it back, turning her attention to her lunch. “Ugh, the quality of the cafeteria is going down. I feel like I’ve gained weight just from a bite,” she added, taking another bite.

Lee BoNa walked over and sat down to the left of RenAi. “I hate this food. I hate these choices. I hate being single!” When the group looked over at her, she shrugged, “What? I get crabby when I’m hungry.”

RenAi smiled and watched the students of the school mill about, looking for seats and avoiding their super power table. RenAi looked between the girls and then MyungSoo walked over and sat down across from BoNa. The love struck puppy made YoungDo annoyed but RenAi smiled, encouraging the conversation every which way she wanted to.

Maybe it was because he was still young or because he wasn’t old enough, he simply agreed to help her because she asked him to. An ache started in him but he ignored it, dismissing it as his reaction to the scent of the food on MyungSoo’s tray.

***

It had been a while since YoungDo had gone to the Zhen family estate. So when he stopped at the gate, the guard looked very questioningly at him before they opened the gate. It helped that he rode on the back of RenAi and he found that the world on the back of the bike was much nicer than the scene from a car.

When she pulled into a garage, she dismounted and he got off as well. She smiled and led him through a well-stocked garage. “This is all mine,” RenAi stated.

YoungDo smiled and nodded, “All of this? Wow.” He walked along the bikes and cars. There was even a hot rod she had built from scratch with her brother. “Impressive collection,” he stated.

As he turned back to RenAi, she had a contract out with a pen. “After this, I’m heading off. I’ll tell you what you need to do,” she added solemnly.

YoungDo smiled and walked over. He took the pen from her and signed on the line. She signed underneath his signature and put the contract away. “I need you to take me to the landing pad and then raise some havoc by the seaside.”

YoungDo frowned, “So, they’ll see your bike and think it’s you?”

RenAi smiled, “You’re learning.” She walked to a runner and handed him the contract. “You can come and go as you please, take what you want and leave what you want. The guards have their instructions from me,” she paused, turning back to him, “if anything breaks, let me know.”

“How?” YoungDo asked, looking over the hot rod with interest.

RenAi pulled out her suit case from a hiding spot and put it into a nice car. “SNS it. I’ll see it,” she added, checking through her bags. She pulled out a set of keys and opened the driver’s side door, “Get in.”

YoungDo did as she told him to and then, she pulled out of the parking garage. She sped through the gates, waving to the guards. She sped down the street, heading through the maze of woodland paths, before stopping at a private landing pad for jets and helicopters.

YoungDo watched the flight staff grab her bags and load them before she turned to him. She held out the keys and didn’t let him grab them. “Be nice to MyungSoo for me. He’s a good kid, just a bit weird sometimes,” RenAi stated.

“Of course, since he’s related to you somehow,” YoungDo replied haughtily.

RenAi looked at him and then sighed. She dropped the keys in his hand and the,  she stepped forward, pulled on the lapel of his blazer and kissed his lips. It was over within a second and YoungDo was actually surprised. He looked down at her and she let him go. “Good bye, my first kiss and my first crush.” She took a step back and added, “Take care of yourself.” She turned and walked into the private entrance for the awaiting jet.

YoungDo watched her go, the surprise wearing off. He scoffed but couldn’t muster more than that. She was one of his oldest friends and suddenly, he felt very alone. But, after giving himself a mental shake, he picked up his phone, “MyungSoo, what are you doing? Want to eat together by the seaside?”