Day 0 // pt.1

31 Days

I woke up in the morning and had a really sinking feeling in my heart. I wasn't sure what it meant but it felt as though someone really close to me had died...

"Junsu! Hurry down for breakfast or you're going to be late for school!" Mrs.Kim shouted from the living room downstairs.

"I got it umma, I'll be down after I freshen up." Junsu replied as he lazily dragged himself to the bathroom to prepare for school.

"Come home early today alright. Junho is coming back from the states today. I'll be making a feast to celebrate his return!!" Mrs. Kim clasped her hands together and smilled till her white pearlie teeth sparkled in the light.

Junho is Junsu's older brother by 4 years and had been studying overseas for his university degree. He wanted to finish the degree as fast as possible so he could come back home and share the burden of house with his mother.

"Oh , i totally forgot Junho was coming back today! Got it, I'll be sure to be back early! Bye Mum! Love you!" Junsu hugged his mother as he went out on his way to school.

Ring Ring Ring

"Good Morning Mr. Jeon."

"Okay class sit down," the class paid no attention to Mr. Jeon and continued to talk about how they spent their summer holidays.

"Class!" Mr. Jeon slammed his hand on the table. At once they all looked up at the man, and wondered what was up with the teacher who had never raised his voice at any student before.

Mr. Jeon was Seoul's High nicest and most liked teacher because of his patience and quirkiness.

"I have a very devastating new to break to everyone today..." They watched as Mr. Jeon lowered his head down, looking like he was trying to hide his tears.

"Park Yoochun of Class 4 has committed suicide and passed on."

Everyone watched as the last sentance formed its way out of Mr. Jeon's mouth. They started turning around to whisper to one another.

oh my gosh, do you think this is real?

oh dear, why would he do that!

wasn't he the one who was going to become valedictorian?

i heard he lives in an old coffee house that's quite run down


maybe he couldn't take being poor and decided that death was better...

As everyone continued to guess why Yoochun had killed himself, Junsu was the only one who remained wide eyed and mouth agape at the back.

Not believing what he has just hear. A tear slowly made a way down his cheek.

Bomi who was sitting beside Junsu in class noticed and nudged him, "Su, you know this guy?"

"I don't. I've only heard of him but I've never talked to him."

"Really? You seem like you had just heard your best friend died," Bomi stared at Junsu with a confused face. "I didn't think you were such an emotional person to actually cry over someone you didn't know."

Junsu did not even care to listen what else Bomi had to say and he just thought to himself. Why am i feeling like this, why am i so... sad, what is this guy even to me...

"Class, class, listen. The funeral is this Wednesday night at 8pm. It'll be at the Nativty Cathedral just down the road from "B" Shopping Mall. Do come pay a visit if you can."

Ring Ring Ring

And with that Mr. Jeon left the class to carry on with their next lesson.

Everyone picked up their stuff to head over for their next lesson. Everyone had seem to moved on from the news of Park Yoochun's death. Everyone except Junsu...

"Junsu? Junsu!" Bomi held Junsu's shuolder and shook him.

"Oh er yes?" Junsu stared at Bomi with an expressionless face.

"Are... you okay? You've been spacing out since just now, and- Oh my gosh Junsu your face is so pale! You're sweating cold sweat!" Bomi took out a piece of tissue and wiped the sweat droplets that had been formed on his forehead.

"Bomi, I... I don't feel to well. Coud you help me tell Ms. Lee that I'll be heading home for the day? I'm sorry... I know i promised to eat lunch with you but-"

"It's okay. We can always eat tomorrow! You should be going home. Do you need me to follow you to the office to call your mum?"

"No, no, it's fine. I'll be heading home then. Bye." Junsu quickly packed his stuff and walked down to the office.

"Hi Ms. Nam, I'm not feeling well. I would like to go home fore the day. Could you do me a favour and inform Mr. Jeon for me?"

"Oh dear, sure thing darling. Please seat here while i make the call."

Mr. Jeon rushed down just after 2 minutes his call with Ms. Nam ended.

"Junsu, are you okay? You look really pale!"

"Yes Mr. Jeon I'm fine. I just need to rest at home." Junsu passed the paper in which Mr. Jeon had to sign in order to give permission to a student for early dismissal.

"Okay, anything please do call me. I won't be able to take not being there of my student again and having to regret it for the rest of my life. I just wished I was more attentive towards Yoochun before..." Mr. Jeon sighed and lowered his head again.

It was hard to see Mr. Jeon being so sad and reproaching himself of something he wasn't to blame for. He was always that teacher that could brighten up the day of any student in his class that was feelling down because of his lame jokes and intersting stories.

"Mr. Jeon, its not your fault. Don't beat yourself over it!"

"In some ways it is, all of you are like my children. Can you imagine your own child committing suicide? It hurts you till the end of time. Some wounds will never heal even if give it a millineum to."

"Mr. Jeon..."

"Say no more. Go home and get as much rest as you need. I do hope to see you at the funeral. The family needs the support from the school and his friends."

"I will go if I can. See you Mr. Jeon. You're a great teacher, please don't beat yourself over it."

Junsu bowed to Ms. Nam and Mr. Jeon, and left.

In stead of taking the bus, he decided to walk home. Summer was ending, and Autumn was coming. The crisp wind blew past Junsu, making him shiver a little everytime. As he walked home, he wondered why such a thing had to happen to a kid with such a bright future. He wondered how tough it must have been fighting the darkness inside the heart of someone who contemplated suicide. I wish i was there for him... No one deserves to go through anything like that.

Junsu wished, he wished and wished and wished. He wished that he had been there for Yoochun so that he could at least have done something about the suicide. Suddenly, a strong wind blew past him and everyting was silent for a moment. Junsu looked around as if sensing someone around. He felt anxious out of the blue. and brushed it off as he continued his way home.