First

Love Letter

It was just like a normal Monday. The sun was already up and did its duty to provide light for the earth. Nothing was odd except for the weather. It wasn’t even near summer, but strangely, unlike the usual day, the weather was intensely hot. It felt like the time had hit 12 o’clock when in fact it was only 8 in the morning.

The weather had messed up everyone’s daily routine with its heat; that includes students. Since most schools are strict with uniform regulation, students usually wear their attires properly. But today was an exception.

On the way to school, most of the students had taken off their blazers; carrying it by their shoulders. Some also loosened their ties to give their skin fresh air. Even though they know they may get detention for messing school’s uniform, they didn’t care. It was just too unbearable.

Each and every student had made an attempt in order to at least cool themselves a bit.

Yes, it’s every student except for one person. One person that still had his uniform neatly worn, tie still clung tightly, no opened-button, and even the blazer; he still wore it. He just fanned himself lazily as he walked towards the school.

“Don’t you feel hot, Junhoe?” A smaller person beside him asked in astonishment, noticing his fellow seemed unbothered by the heat. The boy who asked had already taken off his outer uniform as well as his tie while the person beside him still insisted to wear all his attires. And he knew it wouldn’t be because the taller boy obeys the school’s rules.

The boy named Junhoe only sighed and shrugged for the response of the question. He felt really hot honestly; felt like burning. But he was too lazy to do anything. He thought he wouldn’t feel much different anyway.

The other boy didn’t ask anything more as he knew his friend wouldn’t give much respond. He knew that talking to him in this moment was only waste of his energy. Both of them decided to keep silence as they entered the school building. They walked in the not-so-packed halls and stopped by their lockers, which were just beside each other.

Another sigh escaped Junhoe’s lips as he inserted his locker key and preyed it open after he heard the key clicked. He was about to reach his books for the lovely Monday when he noticed something and stopped abruptly.

Junhoe frowned upon seeing something that, as long as he remembered, didn’t belong to him. Eyes glistening in curiosity, he took something that seemed to be forcefully inserted through the very small gap of the locker.

In his hand, he held a white envelope with his initial written with green ink. He examined it on both sides. His hand smoothed one crumpled corner that his eyes noticed.

Junhoe looked around, wondering who might put it there, but the hall was empty; only him and his friend. There was no sign of anyone that possibly could put the envelope in his locker. Or maybe the person had already gone. Of course. His eyes then went to the letters ‘KJH’ that was written beautifully in Korean letter.

Junhoe was about to open the envelope when his friend interrupted, “Are you done yet?” He looked at the male and found his friend was already locked his locker back.

Nodding, he hurriedly pocketed the envelope and took the books he needed for the day. He’d read it later.

As they walked towards the class, Junhoe wiped his dripping sweat with his hand. He couldn’t be sure if it was just him but he actually felt hotter than before.

---

“Jinhwan, I found this letter inside my locker this morning. What should I do with this?” Junhoe asked his smaller friend; waving the letter that hadn’t been opened in front of him. The lad named Jinhwan stopped himself from stirring a cup of ramen and looked up to his friend.

 “What’s written?” Jinhwan asked; continued back to stir his ramen after briefly glanced at the paper.

Junhoe only shrugged as he hadn’t tried to found out what was there. Since he picked it from his locker this morning, the envelope had rested safely inside his blazer pocket; he hadn’t taken it out even once.

“Open it,” Jinhwan ordered nonchalantly as he began digging his ramen.

As curiosity was overwhelming him, Junhoe opened the envelope and took out a paper from inside. The paper was clean and white. It was folded in a very nice way. He could tell that, whoever it was, the person put much effort into it that the edge was neatly pointy and the line was very smooth.

From the way it folded and the beautiful handwriting on the envelope, Junhoe assumed that the sender was a girl.

Junhoe never got any letter before from anyone at school, much more from a girl. He saw a lot of times one of his classmates got an anonymous letter but he never imagined himself getting one. His classmates’ reaction when getting one was so hype and he thought they were over-reacting but now when he got a letter, he could relate his classmates’ excitement.

Junhoe unfolded it and read it for himself quietly.

Dear KJH,

This is my first time writing to someone. I know this is probably the thousandth letter you get and you might feel tired of getting one but I really hope you will read my letter.

Junhoe chuckled soundlessly. This girl didn’t know that it was actually his first time as well getting a letter anonymously.

I don’t think you know me. We’re in the same year, but we actually never shared any class.

The thing is I’m one of your admirers. You got me as one of your fans in the summer festival during our second year. I saw you the first time when you sang on the stage. You have such a beautiful voice, really! It was really nice and comforting. This might sound silly but ever since, I somehow was attracted.

There was really no opportunity for me to approach or talk to you. Or there might be few chances but I was too afraid and shy to take it. You also rarely walked by yourself, you usually have your friend stick with you, made me even more discouraged.

I realized that we’d be graduating soon. I’m afraid that I don’t get to be, at least, friend with you. That’s why I wrote this letter. I want to get to know you, to get closer to you if it’s possible.

Enough with my rambling. I’d be very happy if you decided to reply my letter. But if it’s not, that’s fine. At least you’d known already that you’re amazing person^^

I’m deeply sorry if I bothered you with this letter. Have a great day!

-xx-

“Did you know that you’re smiling like an idiot the whole time?” Jinhwan’s words snapped Junhoe back into reality.

Junhoe quickly straightened himself as he managed his facial expression. He was embarrassed that Jinhwan caught him off-guard. But how could he resist himself from smiling? Never once in his life he got a love letter, a letter that complimented him, a letter that told him there was someone that adored him and wanted to be friend with him. Unlike Jinhwan who was already popular among girls, Junhoe was new to this kind of attention.

Junhoe doesn’t have many friends at school. He was only closest to Jinhwan. So the letter actually got him excited, not only because of it was girl but also because she wanted to have him as her friend. He thought that maybe it was the time to finally expand his social life.

Ignoring his bestfriend’s last remark, he asked instead, “Should I reply?”

During the time Junhoe was reading his letter, Jinhwan had actually finished his ramen cup. He put down his chopsticks and uncapped a bottle of water. After few gulps, Jinhwan put the cap back before he answered to Junhoe, “It depends. If the girl isn’t much sentimental, I think it’s safe for you to reply. Girls misunderstand a lot you know.”

Junhoe just nodded accordingly; he put his trust in Jinhwan’s words. His eyes suddenly wandered around the cafeteria that was filled with students. Could that girl be here? But there were too much girls in this school. He couldn’t pin-point which girl that wrote a letter to him. It’s just impossible.

“If you’re just going to stare at the space and not eating, might as well you donate your ramen to me since it’s getting cold and I’m still hungry,” Jinhwan suddenly spoke.

Junhoe looked at his bestfriend in amusement and pushed his cup towards Jinhwan. He didn’t feel like eating at the moment and this little guy sure needs a lot of foods in order to grow taller, if it’s still possible in his last stage of puberty.

---

Junhoe already gave it a lot of thought and consideration. All night he was pondering whether he should reply or not. He spent his night study time just holding a pen, physically ready to write the response for the letter. After concerning it for a while, later in the night, he decided to write back.

Junhoe looked at the folded paper in between his hands. His mind questioned again if it was okay to do this. He began to feel hesitate for a second time. Was it necessary to do this? Should he just ignore the letter?

But as much as he wanted to just ignore, he was really curious about this person’s identity. He somehow believed that this person might be a good friend for him, aside from Jinhwan. And he didn’t think it was wrong to write back. Right?

A minute or two passed as Junhoe only stood in front of his locker. Finally, he nodded to himself after some internal debate. He had reassured his mind that his decision was all right. He had convinced his mind to stay positive.

Dear XX,

Well, thank you for your letter. I appreciate it.

The summer festival? Quite a long time ago. Yeah I remembered performing there. It was because I and my best friend (the one you mentioned always stuck by my side) made a promise to sing on stage. I refused at first but he kept on demanding. I thought I was embarrassing back then, but I’m glad at least someone likes it.

I don’t have much friend so I think your offer is nice. But how are we supposed to be friend when you don’t even tell me who you are? You know me so you have to let me know you as well.

-KJH

After re-reading the letter, making sure it was clear and safe since he didn’t want to sound flirty and make the girl misunderstand, he opened his locker. Since he didn’t know where to put it, he decided to put it inside the locker, arranging the letter so one corner of the paper with ‘xx’ written to it was visible even if he locked his locker.

Let’s just hope whoever this girl would come to his locker and saw the reply he had previously written.

During his class, Junhoe couldn’t get himself straight. For some unknown reasons, he was anxious. Or maybe excited? He didn’t have any idea. He kept on wondering whether the ‘xx’ saw his letter and read it. But what if someone else took it? What if it was actually a prank? It was nowhere near his birthday, as well as the first of April, so why would anyone pull a prank on him?

Feeling suspicious out of sudden, he looked at his best friend who’s seated next to him and he was just concentrated on the lesson, unlike him who was busy thinking about his love letter. Could it be him? No, Jinhwan wouldn’t do such a thing. He trusted Jinhwan. He was just too kind-hearted to prank on him. According to Junhoe, Jinhwan is such a fairy.

When the school bell rang as the cue to go home, Junhoe couldn’t wait to get to his locker. He wanted to see whether the letter was still there. Surprisingly, it wasn’t. When he arrived at his locker, he couldn’t see the corner of the paper. And when he opened it, it was no longer there. Junhoe smiled to himself. So he assumed the girl had taken it.

He couldn’t wait for the reply.

---

For the first time in his life, going to school was something he was anticipating for. You all probably know by then that it was not really the school, but some girl and her letter. He wondered all night what kind of reply the girl would give him. He wondered if the girl would reply at all. But he was confident though that she’d reply since it was her that wrote to him first.

During the walk to school, Junhoe had to keep himself calm. He was afraid Jinhwan would notice something about his excitement. Fortunately, Jinhwan was oblivious to his enthusiastic friend. He was just kept talking here and there, not noticing that the tall guy beside him wasn’t actually listening.

By arriving at their lockers, Junhoe quickly went for his and opened it. Just like how he had expected, there was a small paper with another ‘KJH’ written at the front. Smiling, he took it. Junhoe looked at Jinhwan momentarily and the boy was busy sorting the books he needed for the day. Assuming he would take some time, he decided to open the letter.

Dear KJH,

I never thought you would reply! I didn’t expect anything really. But you actually wrote back. Thanks a lot! It really means so much, you know. You’re just as nice as how others described you.

And thank you for considering my offer, for giving it a chance. I really want to be your friend.

About my identity, let’s call me ‘xx’ for the time being. I’m not yet comfortable to reveal it. I promise it won’t take forever but it is just not for now. I hope you can understand.

First of all, let’s get to know each other! I will go first.

I’m the third child in my family. I have two brothers and they are bothersome. They all are in college now. They know about you and they keep teasing me about it. Well, one of them actually encouraged me to do something and it is one of the reasons why I wrote to you.

That’s it, a short starter! How about you?

-xx-

Again, Junhoe smiled after he read the letter. He could feel that this girl was nice and such a joyful girl, complete opposite of him. Junhoe folded back the letter and put it inside one of his books. Jinhwan who was actually saw Junhoe read the letter asked what it was.

“She replied back,” he truthfully said. There was no point in lying at Jinhwan. He’d know sooner or later and somehow. Jinhwan only nodded in response and asked him to go.

Walking to class, Jinhwan whistled playfully. Junhoe turned to him and Jinhwan was having amused look in his face. “Treat me if you begin dating,” he swiftly said. Junhoe punched his arm lightly in joking manner as he shook his head.

Dating? Pfft.. They’re still too far away for that. He didn’t even know how she looks like!

---

The letters exchange now had become a habit. Junhoe would find a letter in the morning, he took and read it, and during his class, he would write a reply. And before the school ends, during the lunch break precisely, he would put it in his locker and by the time to go home, she’d already took the letter. And the next morning, there would be a new one. That’s how the cycle goes.

Now it had been the sixteenth letter already. Yes, they had been writing to each other for 16 days. Junhoe indeed felt her as a real friend. He talked about his daily and such to her. She also shared her problems, worries and also she gave him advices occasionally. He felt rather comfortable despite not knowing who she was. But he didn’t mind that too much now. He didn’t mind if she kept her identity as secret until the end. He was comfortable and he felt like she was a really good friend, like Jinhwan. To him, that was all that mattered.

Speaking of Jinhwan, that boy had awareness of everything’s going on. Junhoe told him about almost everything. Yeah, almost. Sometimes he showed Jinhwan the letter but if he thought it was better to keep private, he only told him about the main point of their exchanged-letters.

Jinhwan understood perfectly that the girl who sent the letter had her crush on his bestfriend. He also now could safely conclude that his bestfriend was actually attracted by the girl even when that girl never revealed herself.

Maybe that was her point though; so he wouldn’t judge her just by physical appearance.

“I offered her to meet up. What do you think?” Junhoe asked Jinhwan while they were walking towards their locker one morning. He wanted Jinhwan’s advice, like how he usually makes decision. He would discuss it with Jinhwan and most of the times he did as what Jinhwan said to him.

Junhoe wasn’t sure if it was the right time but he couldn’t bring himself to wait any longer. As much as he promised himself that he wouldn’t be bothered by face or it wouldn’t matter if she didn’t expose herself, he couldn’t help but to feel interested about how she looked like.

“I think it’s about time,” Jinhwan answered shortly. He was just as curious as Junhoe honestly. He also wanted to know what kind of girl could make Junhoe fascinated just by words.

When they arrived, Junhoe didn’t unlock his locker; instead he just stood before it and took out the letter he had written.

Dear xx,

I’m sure I can safely say we’re good friends already. But we never talked to each other in person. I know you told me before that you aren’t comfortable yet, but we are friends now! You should be comfortable by then.

Let’s meet up, shall we? I want to see you. Tell me what you think.

-KJH

Taking a deep breath, Junhoe opened his locker and put the paper on its usual place. He took out the books he needed and shut the locker. With an overwhelming nervous, he walked with Jinhwan to class. He really hoped that by tomorrow, he would find a reply that approved his idea,

---

 

Dear KJH,

You’re right. I think it’s the time for me to introduce myself for real to you. Sunday at the coffee shop five blocks from our school. 10 o’clock. How does that sound to you?

I hope you won’t be disappointed seeing me. I’m looking forward to our meeting, friend!

-xx-

 

---

 

Hello everyone!! It's almost June's birthday!
Finally he'll be an adult officially..
This is the first chapter. What do you think?^^
Anyway, have you listened to Just Go? That song is amazing really.
If you haven't, then I strongly recommended you to do so... You won't regret.

Lastly, don't be shy to drop some comments.. Feedbacks are loved <3