Chapter 1

The Daredevils

Shadows crept towards a building, its owners on tip-toes as they seek out possible detection. Silently and stealthily, they slipped into an open warehouse unnoticed, a growing smirk on their faces.

Quickly, a tall slim figure slid into the office, booting the computer on as she brought out her laptop from her bag. Eyes locked onto the screen, she started typing furiously on it as a lone figure stood near the door, keeping a look out. Outside the room, three figures slithered by, one lone figure running around stealthily to make a quick check of possible hide-outs and dangers, while the other two stood by the front rollers, somewhat casual when a loud siren pierced the still air.

“Sh*t!”

The lone figure whispered harshly, furious at his careless mistake as his four companions tensed up. Sliding back to the front rollers, he could sense their glares radiating from behind their masks as their eyes darted around and ears on high alert.

In the room, fingers flew across the keyboard and eyes darted around the screen in hopes to fasten the process while the figure at the door clenched his fists while maintaining eye contact with his companions outside. Time was ticking by and within minutes, the cops will be hot on their trails.

“Done.” Fingers slammed the laptop shut as she power off the computer. “Let’s go.”

Grabbing her laptop, she ran towards the door, staying by the side of her protector. His head tilted to the side, giving the signal that all was clear as he grabbed her wrist and ran towards the back as wails of sirens rang out. As silently as they could, the other three covered behind them, glancing for possible trails they might have left behind.

---

“Sir, the alarm for the back door was triggered. The owner was sleeping when it happened and rushed down the moment our officer called him. However, nothing is missing. The cash he placed locked in his drawer was still there, so were his goods. Hence, he suspected that it might be a cat, which could have triggered the alarm. He mentioned that it was common around here.”

The commanding officer nodded as he glanced around the place. Noting that nothing seemed suspicious, he made his way into the office, his eyes catching sight of the flickering light on the computer monitor.

“Do you leave the computer on?”

“Don’t think so. We make sure we switch off every switch to save electricity.”

The commanding officer frowned as he walked towards the computer, placing his hand gently on the CPU.

“It’s still warm. It couldn’t have been switched off for long. They must be nearby.”

Immediately, his subordinates ran out, relating the command and leaving the commander to ponder over the suspicious actions.

---

Running into an alley, they were trapped. The police had managed to cordon off the whole perimeters before they could escape. Facing with only one route, they ran towards an old building, hoping to find a secure hideout before the police caught up to them.

Slipping into the building, they made their way towards the stairs, pushing the door gently. As before, the protector went first, leading the way with the lady with the laptop closely behind, followed by the three minions.

Simply with a tilt of his head, the others followed up the stairs, keeping to the wall. Three flight of stairs up, they slid through the door into the hallway. Eyes on the look out, fingers reached out to the handles, hoping to find an unlock door. Unfortunately for them, they could find none.

Leading way to the corner house, the protector dug out pins he kept in his pockets and slid into the keyhole. With steady hands, he twisted and turned while his companions silently looked around. Finally the lock clicked open and as silently as he could, he pushed the door open, beckoning his companion to enter.

The last figure slid in, ensuring that no one lurked around before closing the door softly. Walking towards a vacant chair, he slumped down, eyeing his companions who seemed to care less about what was happening around them. On his right, his female counterpart was simply staring into space while on his left, another female friend fiddled with her phone looking bored. In front of him, a male sat with an arm around the female while the latter focused on her laptop.

“Until when are we going to stay here?” The second youngest spoke up, unable to bear the silence. He glanced around, noting how everyone seemed uninterested in his question. “Guys, is anybody going to answer my question?”

“If you didn’t trigger the alarm, we would have been in bed by now.” The cold voice spoke beside him, sending shivers down his spine.

“How was I supposed to know there was an alarm at the back?”

“If you didn’t go snooping around…”

“But it was interesting. If we found guns and arms…”

“We would have been dead by now. You should be glad that we got out safely, or else you are dead either way.”

“And if you got my girlfriend into trouble, you will be dead too.” A new voice pitched in.

“Hyung, you’re supposed to be on my side.”

“Not when you decide to go against my orders.”

“It was an honest mistake, really. I was just checking out for…”

“Shut up!” The girl on his left spoke up and the man shushed immediately. “They are outside.”

Eyes darted towards the door as their ears caught the noises of footsteps. The leader stood up, darting behind the dusty curtains, lifting his fingers to peek out. Outside the building, police officers combed the alley, positioning two at each corner.

Turning around, his eyes met with another pair positioned at the door. Giving a nod, he slid back to his girlfriend who was still frantically typing on his keyboard.

“How long more?”

"5 minutes.”

“Then we move out. Same place.”

He eyed around the room as nods answered him.

---

“Sir. This is the last area.”

“Search. I want every crook and cranny searched.”

“Yes, sir.”

The officers split up into teams with the commanding officer leading one team through an alleyway.

---

“They are coming nearer.”

“We can't wait any longer, we have to get out now."

"I'll stay with her, you guys leave."

Eyeing their leader carefully, they nodded, pulling out masks from their pockets and strapping them over their mouths.

“Ready.” They stood by the door. A hand pressed firmly on the handle. “Out.”

The door opened as a pair of eyes peeked out. After making sure that the coast was clear, the three figures crept out and split up towards each end.

---

Running down a flight of stairs, the two was forced back into the hallway, hiding around the corner while waiting for an opportunity. Unfortunately for them, the police was inching towards their hideout. Looking around them for an escape route, they found themselves trapped and the only way out was the window right beside them.

"Trust me?" He faced the girl, apprehension in his eyes. The girl smiled and nodded. "I'll catch you."

Without waiting any longer, he launched his body out of the window, landing two stories down with a perfect roll. Getting on his feet, he held his arms wide, waiting for his girl to land into it. He didn't have to wait longer because seconds after he got his stance, a body rolled on the ground just to his right, missing his arms by inches.

"I said I would catch you, why didn't you wait for me?"

Before the girl could answer, a shout came from above.

"Police!"

The shouts attracted the attention on the officers on the ground and immediately they started running towards them, commanding them to not move. A smirk drew on each of their faces and they dashed off through an unguarded alley. The game was just about to start.

---

Towards the other end of the building, a lone girl ran down a flight of stairs, to notice the cops below her. Unnoticed, she slipped into an open house, hiding right behind the door just as an officer knocked on the door, prompting the owner to walk out puzzled.

"Ma'am, did you see any suspicious person around?" She heard a low husky voice, her eyes trained on the owner who had walked out of her room. Catching sight of the owner's shocked look, she immediately knew that the owner had seen her and the officer seemed to have caught the look judging from the sudden stiffness of his body.

Swiftly and smoothly, she got out of her hiding place, taking her place beside the owner with an arm slung over her shoulder.

"Mum, what's happening?" The voice sounded clueless, but the side glare she shot the owner discreetly was not.

"I don't know." She could feel the trembling in the woman's body but she could care less. Her arm slung heavily on the latter's shoulder as though reminding about her presence. The officer looked at them, feeling suspicious about the girl.

"Sorry, I had a very bad cold, didn't want to pass it to anyone."

The officer looked at them , doubts emerging in his mind when a deep baritone voice sounded behind him.

"Have you found anything?"

"No, Sir."

The officer seemed to give him respect from the slight bow in his body and how he moved out of the way, allowing the man into his room while his team seemed to be standing at attention behind him.

"I want everyone to comb each area carefully. Move out."

"Yes, Sir!"

It took him a moment as he watched his team scattered out before turning to the two ladies in the house.

"Sorry, Ma'am, there has been a break-in an hour ago so if you notice any suspicious figures around the area these few days, please remember to call the police hotline. Thank you."

She watched silently with an acknowledgement nod as the commanding officer gave a slight bow. Turning away to resume to his duties, she caught sight of his nametag.

Choi Seunghyun. She smirked under her mask. The game is going to be so much fun.

---

Back in the empty house, the lady was still concentrating hard on her laptop while her man stood behind the door, ready for any action. Apart from the furious typing, the house remained silent. Peeking out through the door hole, he caught sight of shadows dancing on the walls in the morning sun.

"They are close." He said in hushed whispers. The lady did not bother replying as her fingers continued flying across the keyboard and her gaze fixed on her screen. Taking another peek through the door hole, he realized, they were closer than ever. Each second ticking by only made it harder for them to escape.

"We have to leave."

"15 seconds."

He took out two masks from his pocket, putting one on his face and held the other one out. Footsteps were coming closer and so were the voices. He peek out of the hole, they were just next door.

"5 seconds."

They were just outside the door, fingers reaching out for the door handle.

"Done."

She slammed the laptop shut, slipping it into her backpack as she reached out for the mask. Strapping it onto her face, she reached out for his outstretched hand.

"Let's go." He grabbed her hand, running towards the back room. However, in their haste to escape, she tripped over a furniture which came crashing down.

"Someone is inside." They heard a shout and soon after, bangs of the door were heard as it slowly came apart. Without a moment to lose, they dashed towards the back room, locking the foot and sliding the window open as they peeked down. Four levels up, an algae infested pipe to their left.

"Check each room carefully." Came the command as footsteps were rushed yet orderly.

"Go first, I'll follow right after." She nodded, concern and worries glazing in her eyes."I'll be fine."

He assisted her out of the window, ensuring that she has a firm grip before signalling her to slide down. He turned to the door, the door handle shook.

"In here." Another slam against the door as he threw himself out of the window, sliding down quickly as the door slammed open. His feet touched the floor and he looked up, catching sight of the frustrated face looking down at him. His eyes twinkled as he grabbed the lady's wrist, pulling her away.

Score 1:0

-TBC-