Let's Stand in Front of the Altar Together

Apology of Kim Dong Hyuk

3 Years Ago...

 

 

"Dong-Dong!"

 

A high pitched voice rang across the hall of the huge art gallery. A few heads turned as a beautiful petite girl in a pink dress passed by. Her eyes shined brightly as she stared at the only person who kept his cool and didn't even throw a glance at her.

 

 

"My Dong-Dong, what are you looking at that you didn't even bother to answer me?"

 

She clung on his arm lovingly. The boy glanced at her shortly, his cold stare made her heart tremble.

 

 

"I told you not to call me that."

 

He reminded but the girl just pouted.

 

 

"And what're you wearing? This is not a party."

 

The guy rolled his eyes and started walking to look at the other artworks. The girl stubbornly followed him like an obedient chick.

 

 

"Awww c'mon, give me a break. I just came from a party and unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to change."

 

She explained herself but the guy didn't seem to listen at all.

 

 

"Kim Donghyuk, I'm tired. Take me home."

 

She tugged on his sleeves but he didn't budge at all.

 

 

"You have a car and a driver."

 

He stated in a matter of fact tone despite knowing how persistent the girl is.

 

 

"I told him that you were going to take me home so he already left. Pleaaaaseeeee."

 

She trIed her best to act cute but Donghyuk still didn't budge.

 

 

"Call him."

 

He suggested or rather ordered her but the girl just clung tighter on his arm.

 

 

"Don't wanna."

 

She retorted. Her round, brown eyes glaring at him.

 

 

"Then be good and stop complaining. I'll take you home after."

 

He answered in surrender. The girl secretly rejoiced and stayed silent the whole time just as he asked.

 

 

"That's Alice right? What's she doing here?"

 

"Who knows?"

 

"Isn't she that famous singer?"

 

The people around them couldn't stop talking about her but she couldn't care less. It was a good thing that cameras weren't allowed inside the gallery or she'd surely be in trouble.

 

 

"Don't cling to me like that. You'd be all over the news again if you don't stop."

 

Donghyuk tried to shake off her grip but she refused to let go.

 

 

"Don't mind them."

 

Alice shrugged and lovingly snuggled closer to Donghyuk.

 

 

Kim Dong Hyuk is a genius when it comes to art and mathematics but he was a man who rarely even spoke. Alice Wang is a famous singer from a huge company. Their attitudes don't match at all but Alice took great interest on Donghyuk ever since she first laid eyes on him. This interest developed into affection not long after. Donghyuk was her first love and she was confident that he'd be the last. But they are far too young and there are far too many things to learn.

 

 

Present...

 

 

"Need help with that?"

 

Yunhyeong, his friend, asked as he looked at the troubled Donghyuk who couldn't seem to fix his own tie.

 

 

"I'm fine."

 

He continued to fix his tie but it seemed to be going nowhere. A genius like him had flaws too and this is only one of his many flaws.

 

 

"You sure?"

 

Yunhyeong wanted to help him out but he was sure that if he did try, it would only turn into an argument.

 

 

"You can go on ahead of me."

 

Donghyuk said without looking at him. Yunhyeong sighed in defeat and walked out of Donghyuk's hotel room.

 

 

"."

 

He threw the tie on the floor and harshly ran his fingers through his hair out of frustration as soon as Yunhyeong walked out. He didn't want to come but at the same time, he couldn't miss this. He promised after all.

 

 

2 Years Ago...

 

 

"Your parents wish for you to move to Italy."

 

Donghyuk wasn't surprised at the sudden visit of his father's secretary. 

 

 

"When?"

 

Donghyuk's parents are absolute. When they tell him to do something, he obeys them despite his own desires. That's probably the reason why he didn't really have any clear dreams in mind.

 

 

"It's best to let your close friends know as soon as possible. You'll be leaving on saturday."

 

Donghyuk's expression changed in a matter of seconds. He didn't know that he'd be leaving this soon. Alice flashed on his mind for a moment but he quickly shook it off.

 

 

"Is there a problem?"

 

The secretary noticed his sudden silence as if he was in deep thought.

 

 

"You can leave now."

 

Donghyuk said with a straight face. The secretary bowed politely before taking his leave.

 

 

"Oh ahjussi, what're you doing here?"

 

Donghyuk stood up immediately upon hearing Alice's loud voice. He ran to his front door and slammed it open.

 

 

"Ah, about that, the young master will be leaving for Italy by saturday. I was asked to tell him. Well then, if you'll excuse me."

 

The secretary left and silence filled the both of them. Alice looked at him in shock. He could see the pain and confusion in her eyes.

 

 

"You're not leaving me all alone right?"

 

Alice tried to laugh but her voice was shaking and her tears were threatening to fall. Donghyuk walked closer to her but she unknowingly stepped back.

 

 

"You'll do well."

 

Donghyuk didn't know what else to say. He turned his back at her but she grabbed his hand to stop him.

 

 

"Why?"

 

Alice asked desperately. She couldn't believe what was happening. Why was he leaving her behind?

 

 

"I have to."

 

Donghyuk replied coldly. He didn't want her to know but it was inevitable.

 

 

"When are you coming back?"

 

She asked again, her voice filled with hope that he'd return after sometime.

 

 

"I don't think you should wait." 

 

He broke her heart with a few words. She felt like all the feelings she had been putting into him is slowly turning into dust.

 

 

"But..."

 

Alice widened her eyes in shock. She couldn't take anything in.

 

 

"You promised! You promised me!"

 

She raised her hand to slap him but she stopped her hand and held it close to her chest. She couldn't bring herself to hit him. She stepped back again.

 

 

"I hate you Kim Dong Hyuk!"

 

Her tears started falling down as she screamed at the top of her lungs. Donghyuk just stood there and looked at her. His chest felt heavy. It felt like it was about to burst with all the unknown feelings he suppressed for such a long time.

 

 

"I was so stupid! I thought you finally learned to look back at me but I was wrong! I hate you! You shouldn't have made all those stupid promises back then!"

 

She turned his back on him and bit her lip trying to control her tears.

 

 

She left without saying goodbye and so did he.

 

 

Present...

 

 

The wedding bells rang across the church. Everyone seemed to be happy, except for Donghyuk that is. He wore the usual expression he had. Cold and blank. But for once in his life, his expression matched his feelings.

 

 

"Hey, what took you so long?"

 

Yunhyeong elbowed him which made him snap out of it. Donghyuk purposely chose a seat far from everyone else. He came late on purpose as well. He didn't want her to see him at all.

 

 

"I had someone fix my tie for me."

 

Donghyuk said with a straight face. He was focused on the beautiful girl in front of the altar. The beautiful girl beside another man. The beautiful girl who was once beside him.

 

 

"Seriously?"

 

He was so focused that he didn't mind Yunhyeong laughing quietly on the side.

 

 

2 Years Ago...

 

 

"Is something wrong?"

 

Donghyuk couldn't stop fidgeting with the letter on his hand. He was feeling anxious. 

 

 

"Young master?"

 

The secretary called him again but he failed to receive a response yet again.

 

 

"Do you want me to give that letter to someone? You'll be leaving soon."

 

What the secretary said seemed to catch Donghyuk's attention for a moment. He looked at his wristwatch then took a quick glance around the airport.

 

 

"Young ma--"

 

"No... I'm ok."

 

Donghyuk finally replied. He crumpled the letter and stuffed it into his jacket's pocket.

 

 

The passengers were finally called to board the plane. Donghyuk looked around once more, searching for a certain someone. But he knew too well that she wouldn't come.

 

 

"Young master are you sure?"

 

Donghyuk brought his things with him and tried hard not to look back. He had to accept the fact that she finally gave up on him. Just like he always wanted... 

 

 

He sat beside the window with a stranger beside him but he didn't seem to mind. His tears just kept on falling. He loved her so much. He didn't even get to tell her. He only realized it now. The feelings he had been holding back are starting to pour out. The lid to his heart finally couldn't contain these overflowing emotions. How long has it been since he last cried? It was long enough for him to forget the taste of tears and the cold feeling you get as the air hits your face. He wanted her to give up on him but why was he feeling this way? 

 

 

Present...

 

 

"Don't worry too much." 

 

Yunhyeong wouldn't have noticed the forming tears in Donghyuk's eyes if he didn't know him well.

 

 

"I know that guy. I'm sure he'll take good care of Alice."

 

Donghyuk nodded. Any guy was better than him but his heart couldn't allow him to be happy for her.

 

The last vows were said, the crowd cheered for the lovely couple as they shared a kiss. Donghyuk couldn't take his eyes off this beautiful scene. He saw him look at her, eyes filled with undying love and she looked back... The way she used to look at him. He finally closed his eyes and turned his back. This was one of the many hard days of his life. He started walking out of the church when the newly wedded couple started greeting their guests.

 

 

"Kim Donghyuk?"

 

Before he could take another step, a familiar voice called out to him. He stopped but didn't have the courage to look back.

 

 

"I didn't think you'd make it."

 

Alice happily said. Donghyuk stuffed his hands in his pockets before looking back. He smiled as he stared at her beauty. 

 

 

"I promised."

 

Donghyuk replied, a hint of bitterness in each word. This made her pause to think about the promise he was talking about.

 

 

"I'll see you around."

 

Donghyuk pulled his hands out of his pockets and waved goodbye. He didn't notice that his crumpled letter fell out in the process.

 

 

"Ah. Wait!"

 

She tried to call out to him again but he didn't bother to look back like usual. She picked the letter up and straightened it out. She could barely read it because the ink looked messy. Probably because it was made a few years back.

 

Tears started rolling down her cheeks, ruining her perfect make up but she couldn't care less. 

 

"If you are reading this now, it means I'm not too late. It means you came for me despite everything. It means my feelings can finally reach you. I'm sorry for everything and please wait for me. Please. I love you and I've never felt like this before. I never knew the feeling of strong desire til this day. Let's fulfill our promise, marry me.

 

But if you are reading this a few years from now... Then maybe I was too late. It means you finally gave up and I respect that. It means my feelings will never reach you now. I'm still sorry for a lot of things. You won't wait for me and you'll move on. But I still love you and I'll never feel like this if it isn't you. This strong desire will forever remain in my heart. It makes me human. I will fulfill my promise, I'll be there when you find someone who will love you more than I ever could. Thank you Alice."

 

 

"Alice? What's wrong?"

 

She wiped her tears but new tears formed just as she did. She hugged her husband tightly feeling guilt and sadness but not regret.

 

 

"Jinan, I love you so much."

 

She whispered as she continued sobbing. He lovingly kissed her forehead to comfort her.

 

 

"I love you too."

 

He smiled and held her face in his hands, kissing her tears which made her smile in an instant.

 

She did feel guilt and sadness but definitely not regret. Donghyuk is someone that she'll love forever but Jinhwan is someone she'll be in love with for the rest of her life.

 

•••••

Hi

Enjoy this Donghyuk oneshot?

Comments are very much appreciated.

Please read Apology of Koo Jun Hoe as well

and my other story Airplane.

My next angst one shot would be Apology of Kim Ji Won

Stay tuned~