My Story

Bittersweet Hour

Oh my gosh, have you seen him today? He looks so gorgeous! He doesn't have a girlfriend, right? I heard he's really smart too. Kyaa, my heart. I wish I had the same class as him.  

I quickly made my way to my classroom as I was running late. It was raining extremely hard today and there was a huge crowd blocking the entrance to the classroom. I had mere seconds before I was going to be deemed tardy. 

Is that him? I think it is! He looks so handsome sitting there like that. I wonder who sits next to him. If that person's going to be a girl, I hope she's ugly. 

I eventually pushed my way inside and sat down in my seat as the bell rang. I sighed in relief and began to take out my notebooks for class. I had English first period. The crowd started to disperse as they made there way to their classes. The teacher started to take attendance as everyone began to get ready for class. 

This was my everyday life, I went to school to attend my classes and then I either went home or to the library. Not because I wanted to do homework there, but because I worked there. I always found the library to be an enigmatic place to exist in. Every book had a story to tell, whether it was didactic or purely fictional. And yes, I did do my homework there. 

I volunteered at the library with several other students. Library work was pretty easy and fun, I enjoyed being there. I worked for about two hours on Mondays and Fridays. 

"Cho Junhee." The teacher said. She raised her hand and she acknowledged her presence. Then she called other names as she went down the class roster. 

When the teacher called out Jeon Jungkook, a lot of girls turned to look at him. I felt kind of bad for him in a way, though he wasn't someone who would accept pity. I would completely shrivel up if I were him. I was shy, uncool, and generally awkward. He was popular, aesthetic, and confident. However, I took pride in my morals and creed.

Jungkook looked like he always did. Which I always failed to describe because I could never read his face. He usually hosted a poker face when he was alone. When he did give smiles, I always got the impression they were a bit... plastic? They seemed rather apocryphal, though that may only be in my imagination. However, I admired him for his intelligence and ability to remain himself. 

We normally did not take roll like this, but when the teacher had to create a new roster, we had to go through this process. When the teacher finished, she immediately jumped into the lesson. We took notes and analyzed passages when something touched my foot. It was a subtle feeling and I almost missed it. I looked down and found an eraser. It had JK scrawled across the surface and I briefly looked around to see who might have lost an eraser, though I had a nagging suspicion. 

I would have to return it after class as his desk was far away from mine. It's a wonder how erasers are able to jump from places to places with ease. I kept it until class ended and when the bell finally rang, I reluctantly made my way to his direction. 

I was actually quite nervous and was afraid I might stutter and look dumb. I told my self to stop being stupid as I was doing the right thing and I reached his desk. 

"Um, Jungkook, This is your eraser, right?" I looked at him straight in the eye, even though I was dying inside. 

He looked at me and nodded. "Oh thank you. I was looking for this. Can't believe it went so far. Sorry, Serin." 

"No, it's okay." I started to make my way back to my desk when Jungkook stopped me. 

"Um, the library is still open today, right? He asked. 

I looked at him in shock. Does he know I worked at the library? Or is he just asking me because I might know. "Yes, the library is open today, even in this horrible weather."

He nodded and said thanks. 

I wondered if I was going to see Jungkook at the library today as I waited for the next class to begin. 

Hours went by as different teachers came to our room. The class solved problems, took notes, and worked quietly until the bell rang again. The whole time I wondered about my conversation with Jungkook. Well, conversation seemed more of an overstatement. Stranger talk seemed more like it. 

I always thought prince-like boys in school settings only occurred in the Korean dramas I watched. The main female characters always made it seem so easy to sedce the guy, but that is hardly exemplary in real life. I wonder how it was to be like the guy everyone admired. I personally thought I would find it annoying and I might try to exploit my "fans" for the wrong reasons. But Jungkook didn't seem like that kind of guy. Sure I admit he was gorgeous like they all say, but then again, I don't know him. Perhaps he was like one of those books in the library, an enigma dying to be discovered. Well, then I'd be happy to analyze its context. 

School was out for the day and I made my way to the library. A lot of students were there because exams were coming up and I knew I had to start studying my of as well. 

"Hi, Serin. How are your preparations for the exams?" My friend Cho Junhee asked. 

"Ha, I haven't started actually." I admitted.

"Well, you're smart so I knew you'll do just fine." She said. 

"You have such high faith." I laughed. 

I picked an empty seat near the window and took out my booklets to study. I was confident I could pass English and history with flying colors, but math and science worried me the most. I ferverously looked through my notes and tried to make sense of everything. After a few minutes, I decided to take a break and shelve some books. 

I took a cart filled with books and organized them by genre. Then I went to the mystery section because that was my favorite type of book and I started shelving. I was down to a couple more when I had to reach far up to put the book back. There were no mini ladders nearby and I stepped on the lower shelf to hoist myself up higher. That was an idiotic decision as the shelf budged, causing me to lose balance. All of a sudden, I was met with strong arms instead of the cold floor. 

A nice smell of soap wafted through my nose as I looked up to Jungkook's surprised eyes. Then we both lost balance and we fell to the floor with him landing on top of me. I opened my eyes to see Jungkook's eyes directly looking at mine. His face was so close to mine I had to look away out of embarassment. He quickly got up and offered me his hand. 

I took it, blushing all the way. I hoped it didn't show on my face. He picked up the book from the floor and put it back on the high shelf. With his tall height, the feat was easy.

"I hope that you're not seriously injured?" He asked nicely with unmasked amusement. 

"I'm quite fine. Um thanks." I replied. 

"Oh Jungkook, I hope that you're liking the library like all the other volunteers." Said the head librarian. 

"Yes maam, I think this was quite the amusing first day. Wouldn't you say so, Serin?" He asked. 

Wait so Jungkook works here??