Chapter 8

Voicemails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hwayoung #5

 

Hwayoung lied in her twin size bed languidly, staring up at the white popcorn ceiling despondently. It's another new day. She thought to herself. She's been living at her new place for a few days now and it was much harder for her to settle down than she imagined. Every place she go and everything she saw, she constantly compared it to her life before but she shouldn't because she'd never live that life again. This was her home now. It was small and she wasn't used to such a tiny place but it was her own. A place called home for herself and unborn child. It wasn't much but at least it was better than her situation before. What was the use of riches when you weren't happy?


A sickening churn of her stomach boiled up and she was suddenly racing to the small bathroom. Slamming the door open, Hwayoung fell onto her knees in front of the toilet and hurled up last night's dinner. And just like it was another day in her new life, it was another day of morning sickness. She didn't enjoy it of course but at least it didn't happen to her that often. Leaning up against the sink counter, Hwayoung wiped her lips with the back of hand, taking deep breaths to calm her queasiness. It was instances like this where she wished someone could be by her side. She didn't want to, she tried her best to shut these thoughts out of her head but she missed Kris. She missed her ex-husband and the times where their love was kind and pure. She missed the moments where he used to lovingly stay by her side through any troubles and sicknesses. But it was times like this that she brutally realized her realty. Kris wasn't a part of her life anymore and never will be again. It broke her heart, she was still head over heels in love with him, yet he was out of reach. Hwayoung only wished it was easier to deal with this harsh separation. She wished there was some machine out there that could wipe out the memory of her past with Kris. That way, life wouldn't be so painful. 

 

She slowly rose to her feet, feeling lightheaded at every motion and had to stabilize herself by grasping onto the edge of sink. Once her sickness finally ebbed away, she walked back out to the living area and check the time on her phone. It came to her surprise when her phone began to vibrate in her hands, an incoming call from her high school friend lighting up the screen. For a few seconds, Hwayoung hesitated to pick up the call. The two were still friends but they weren't as close as they once were. The two girls had a bit of a falling out when Hwayoung got married to Kris. Yuri's call now, was very unexpected but Hwayoung had an inkling as to why her friend was calling.

 

She took a deep breath, she wasn't sure why she was so nervous, before answering. “Hi, Yuri.”

“Hwayoung...” Yuri sounded cautious, Hwayoung could detect and she already knew what was going to happen in this conversation. “How are you?”

“I'm okay.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter