One Shot, Some Sugar In Your Life

A Spoonful of Sugar Makes You Hope

    It’s not odd. It’s not strange or different in the slightest. It happens constantly. The action has sort of become a norm that everyone seems to readily accept but it’s grating on YoonGi’s nerves. He knows, though, that is he snaps at them or says something about it they’ll all call him grumpy and act like nothing ever happened, probably because they don’t even notice anymore. The mint haired man’s cat like eyes have been watching in silence for a while now and he wasn’t sure how much more he could take. How did no one else think anything of it? He watched his dongseng, HoSeok, retrieve a large tangerine tart from the box that the staff had brought in. He was making an attempt to cut into the sweet when one of the members noticed. “Ah! Is that a tangerine tart?” HoSeok agreed, still concentrated on somehow cutting off a small piece for himself to try. As soon as the piece was free it was seized by one of the onlookers. The next bite was also stolen as their maknae used his dirty hands to break the sweet apart. There was a box full of tarts yet they were only eating the one that the bouncing lead dancer had chosen for himself. Hobi had accepted it a long time ago. He didn’t even look up, just tossed a bit into his own mouth. It was because he loved s, because he knew that they were also hungry. HoSeok was just too sweet to their members and often it felt like many of the others took advantage of that fact. The dancer believed without any doubt that s loved him too, and that this was just one of the ways they showed their love. YoonGi wondered if he ever got enough to eat.

    A week later and they’re sitting around eating on the practice room floor. They’d been dancing for hours and Hobi thought that he could perhaps eat an entire cow worth of hamburgers. Of course they’d ordered chicken because it was better for their diet. He could eat a few whole chickens… several… a lot of whole chickens. Although they’d ordered five chickens of varying flavors everyone was sitting over him eating the one he’d ordered. While ordering they’d complained heavily about the garlic pepper chicken that Hobi had wanted and Suga had offered to pay for two extra. Suga was the best hyung. No matter how much they’d complained before, Hobi was left with half of a after the others had claimed the rest. He stared down at the meat convincing himself that it was okay. This is all he needed because watching the other members eat was far more fulfilling anyway. How could he eat so much when everyone else was hungry too. He bit down his hunger and patiently ate at the little bit that he had left, hoping that they’d at least leave him a bit of rice. He glanced up to catch the hilarious sight of Jin with a completely full mouth chewing like a cute little hamster. “Jin hyung too cute!!” Hobi cheered happily. That’s right. It was way more than enough to see his friends eating happily. He didn’t need rice, he didn’t need chicken. He just needed s and he had totally 100% nutritional value. Everyone giggling and laughing warmed his heart more than his stomach ever needed to be filled.

If he were being completely serious, late at night he did often ponder whether or not the member even realized how much of his food they stole. When his stomach was growling and his thoughts wandered it was always to these moments. Did no one notice? He knew that he, for the most part, paid a ridiculous amount of attention to s well being. Hobi always knew when they were sad, hungry, sore, or ill. It was his job. He was their hope and he loved that title. The hyper dancer loved being able to be someone’s hope and loved more that it was these wonderful, happy, talented boys that he loved. While lost in his thoughts he missed cat like eyes that watched him from the side, flickering down to his lack of food with an irritated expression. It wasn’t until someone sat close to him that he snapped out of his thoughtful eating. The scent of paper and coffee combined with a bit of mint gave the mint haired boy away before Hobi’s eyes found him. YoonGi had placed himself next to HoSeok with his mouth pulled in a thin line. He didn’t seem to be angry as the dancer, but when their elder had that expression most of the members would run. The tiny athlete was scarier than any of their managers. Instead of glaring at the dancer or making an angry comment the young man let out a bit of a sigh and leaned their shoulders together. “HoSeok.” he said quietly, so that only the other could hear. Hobi nodded with a bright smile. No matter what he’d face YoonGi with a smile because he knew that the elder actually really liked to smile and have fun. “Aren’t you really hungry? You do twice the work at these practices and you barely ate anything.”

“Huh? I guess I’m okay. Those are too spicy for me.” He noted, nodding towards the chickens that were left.

“Well, Why don’t you eat the rest of mine then?” Hobi blink, he’d forgotten than their esteemed Suga PD had reserved one of the whole chickens for himself. He paid so no one argued. “I’m honestly done with it. I guess my eyes were bigger than my stomach.” The dancer’s hungry eyes flickered to the box he was offered. There was a good majority of the chicken left, well over half, and it seemed to be of the same flavor that the dancer had originally ordered. “You can have it, if you want.”

“Really? I can have all of it.”

“Eat up.”

“Hyung! You’re awesome! So amazing!” The brunette sang as he dug into the food. He’d almost forgotten how hungry he really was. It felt good to finally eat his fill. Somewhere in the middle Jin had wandered over to check what was left but got a stern comment from the mint haired composer. At first it looked like they might fight but even Jin let YoonGi have his way. Afterall he wrote their music, paid for their food, cleaned house, and fixed everything that Joonie broke. That was how things worked. If Jin was the mom the YoonGi was the father. People always thought it was NamJoon but really YoonGi did a lot of the work. Joonie was more like your favorite big brother. He liked to play and have fun and you could always go to him but he was also dedicated and serious. Hobi liked to think that he was the super fun older brother who you could always meet with your problems. He would always listen to s. Which reminded him… he was really glad that his hyung had given him this food. His energy was rekindled and he was finally ready to move again. Even after practice he happily played with the kids all the while a small smile played on the mint haired hyung’s lips. He knew that Hobi needed more food and he was glad that he could provide something for their always cheerful and always hopeful member. For the first time in what seemed like ages, Hobi slept through the night without feeling hungry. Whenever they ate together the same process would repeat but somehow more food would appear on his plate. He was a little concerned, worried that such an amazing hyung as Suga didn’t appear to be eating very much these days.

“Hyung” he noted, late one night as they sat together over studio equipment and handwritten lyrics scribbled over new crisp white pages. The mint haired composer glanced up to acknowledge him, slender hand pausing on the page. “Hyung are you not feeling well lately?”

“Hmm?” Suga set down his pen and turned his full attention to the other, “I’m fine, why?”

“You just… you haven’t been eating very much.”

The other rapper burst into a fit of laughter revealing a handsome gummy smile that really could melt hearts. Hobi liked it when his favorite hyung laughed. “Don’t be silly, kid. I eat the same as always.”

“But you always have food left over.”

“I order more than normal now.” The other boy’s eyes had returned to the page.

“Why? Are you hungrier?”

“Because you’re hungry.” The response was so casual and completely confident that it took the younger member a moment to truly understand. He was dead silent as his mind churned through exactly what his hyung meant. He ordered more food because Hobi was hungry? Why would he? Oh. How did he…? Lazy cat like eyes watched him from the side but his hyung remained in his characteristic silence. “Hyung” he breathed. It all hit him at once. Someone had noticed. Someone noticed that he wasn’t eating much. Someone noticed that he was hungry and fed him. YoonGi was seriously the best hyung he could ever ask for. He’d never realized how much it actually hurt that no one had noticed before. The dancer hadn’t realized the pain that had numbed his heart until suddenly it was gone. Suddenly he realized that he’d been so devastated by it all. He’d been so sad and lonely but now… Now it was all rising off of him and all he felt was the light weightlessness of joy. He’d always felt loved, but it was different feeling cared for. Feeling like there’s someone out there looking at you to make sure that you’re well, that you’re happy. Someone to make sure you’re eating and even sleeping. “Ya!” Suga yelped from the side forcing the other from his thoughts, “Why are you crying? Did I do something wrong?” Warm tears were trailing down his cheeks and he realised that his entire body felt strange and light. He in a few breaths to calm himself and used his sleeves to wipe the tears from his eyes. “Hyung” he breathed again and the elder was staring at him with wide, concerned eyes, “hyung!” this time he almost sang it, “hyung I’m so happy!”

“Oh” was the only response as those cat eyes blinked with confusion.

“Hyung! I was so lonely! I didn’t even know... but you care. And it’s you! It’s Suga hyung, the amazing August D! The rapper I really admire and have always wanted to be close to!”

“What are you talking about, Hobi? We’ve been close.”

“We have?”

“Sure. You’re my protege right? We’re sitting in this studio at almost midnight because you wanted me to teach you a few things about composition, right?”

“Huh? You’re right… but this is… this is different. You care for me!”

“I’m your hyung… and your friend.”

“But it’s always been my job to care for people… no one has ever looked after me like that before.”

“Oh yeah” Suga noted, staring at the wall for a second before looking back at the dancer, “you’re the only boy at home, right? Don’t worry. Hyung will care for you.”

Tears threatened to fall again. Hearing the words out loud was a whole new experience that warmed his chest and filled his heart with excitement and satisfaction. Was this what if felt like to be a dongsaeng? He was beyond happy that he was this hyung’s dongsaeng. He definitely had the most amazing hyung ever. If this is what it felt like to be cared for he was happy he’d cared for his dongsaengs so well. “Hyung” he barely whispered, half terrified and half high off of the sudden happiness, “Can I hug you?”

“Are you about to cry again?” YoonGi asked with a concerned expression and Hobi nodded softly so the elder moved his papers to the side, stood and walked to stand right in front of the teary eyed dancer. In a completely unexpected movement, he wrapped his arms around the younger, pressing Hobi’s face into his stomach. The oversized sweater that his hyung was wearing was warm, smelling of mint, paper, and ink. It wrapped around him and suddenly he felt cocooned in the comfort of someone who would protect and watch over him. It was like the warmth of a parent but better. He sobbed into his hyung’s tummy, squeezing back happily. They sat like that for almost an hour until Hobi calmed himself and the elder used his own sleeve to wipe tear stains and snot off of his face. “Don’t tell anyone.” YoonGi noted with a gummy grin, “I won’t clean anyone else’s snot so you better not tell them.”

“It’s okay hyung. I’ll do that for you.” He grinned up at his elder who nodded, still smiling.

“Ya!” snapped a familiar deep voice from the side, “What the hell did you do to Hobi Hyung??”

NamJoon stood frozen at the door of the studio staring at a smiling YoonGi and a puffy cheeked and red eyed Hobi who both burst out into laughter. Nope. They weren’t telling. Hobi didn’t want to share the attention of his hyung and YoonGi figured that it really wasn’t his story to tell. “Hyung” Joonie breathed, approaching Hobi, “Are you okay? Was he mean to you?”

“He’s just such a genius, I’m in shock.” Hobi replied with a goofy grin and NamJoon gave him a disgusted look.

“That’s right” Suga noted, “bask in my brilliance”


Ever since that day in the studio if you find YoonGi then you find HoSeok. They were close friends who often spent time together. Although Hobi still loved and played with all of s he spent a little more time together with his hyung. Suga was happy to see that HoSeok seemed to be feeling better but he was baffled by the ball of sunshine and hope trailing him in the dorms and studio. He didn’t hate it, at all. In fact he’d always rather liked HoSeok. The dancer might have been the happy, hyper, and talkative type but he also knew when to quiet down and cool off. They could sit in complete silence too. Another thing that made the elder like Hobi more was his endearing determination to learn from others. Rapping from him, dancing from their choreographer. Thus was the start of an amazing friendship that no one on the outside really understood.