Regrets

Of Regrets and Remembrance

Jongin sits on the chair, head empty and eyes close. His hands rests on the table before him, one that smells like oak and a mix of dusts from where the studio is.

It is an art, they say. A connection of two human beings, with no words exchanged. All they have to do is, to stay silent in each other's gaze. As if the eyes tell stories, and Jongin knows. Jongin know the eyes never lie and pretend. It sinned, more often than anyone could count. Even then, it also witness someone's joy and their back story. The eyes tells everything, and this is art. 

A form of expression, from the eye alone. 

When the organizer tells him to open his eyes, never had Jongin read someone's entire life before. Because, sitting before him is none other than a man.

This man has his well-tailored suit on, hair brown and smart. Jongin foresee the condition of the man, but instead resort to stare at his face. His wide eyes look sharp, like the ends of a diamond. His nose straight, just like his determination and decisions. Then, his lips. Jongin eyes blurred with tears. 

He is Do Kyungsoo. 

They parted ways when they were younger. Too young to understand love. Kyungsoo didn't steer away from his eyes, but Jongin swears he could see Kyungsoo trying. 

Looking down at his hands, he stretched it forward and smiles. Kyungsoo takes it, linking their fingers and Jongin tries not to let out a whimper. It is cold, not even a trace of warmth from the past. 

Jongin gains his focus back, recalculating ten minutes with this stranger. Because this is no longer the person he knows, the one he used to love and trust. 

Throughout their silence, Jongin breathes. He pieces every bad memory and set it aside. Kyungsoo seems to puzzle everything too, like he wants to know what Jongin is thinking. He gave up after forty-three seconds. 

Then there's Kyungsoo signature smile. His red lips stretching upwards, forming a small crinkle here and there. He had turned fifty-two, a mere twenty years after their last meeting.

Twenty years and it feels like yesterday. 

"Two more minutes, sir," the assistant whispered, signalling their end. Jongin nods his head and tightened his grip. 

Kyungsoo takes the last of their minute in desperation. His thumb rubbing the back of Jongin's hands, a sign of apology. Jongin did nothing to respond. 

"Thank you for your time, Mr. Do,"

Kyungsoo stands and bows, one of his hand reaching for the inside of his pocket. He placed a small letter on the table and says, "An invitation, sir."

Jongin looks at it with no interest. "Your wedding, again?"

"You're mistaking me for my father, I presume?"

"Aren't you Do Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo shakes his head and smile when Jongin look displeased. "My father will not rest well in his grave if you're acting this way."

Of course. Kyungsoo died of a bad habit, and Jongin is dying too. The man bows again and left. Jongin wills his breath to even out, although it starts to suffocate him more. 

They were both suffering from a heartache. A love that never meet because Jongin is a coward and Kyungsoo can't wait any longer. 

 


 

A/N:

This is short but I want people to take it freely. Whatever happen between them, I leave it to your imagination. I will not put the blame. This is simply to reflect myself that things doesn't work well not out of mistakes, but it was intended for the sake of making things easier in a later time. I've been missing out in writing, too engrossed with life outside the pages but I came back for a reason to express myself again.

I've been experiencing a terrible heartbreak and complicated relationship that I need to reach out and writing is part of my healing process. This is part of my motivation, and maybe for you too. I can't give advices but to embrace your pain. Cry as much as you want. Sulk until your heart is empty. Do everything to filter out that sadness. Because life moves on, and you need to go through this process. 

I'll leave you to wonder. Thank you for supporting me all this time! 

Got questions? Need advice? Comment below.♥