Chapter 1

"I'll Come Back To You" pt2

 

It had been four years since they last visited the cabin in the mountains. That spring had been the best moment of Taeyeon's life. And the scariest. Despite the beautiful moments that she had had, she couldn't help but remember the car crash driving down the rainy mountain road as they were leaving. But she had lived and come back to Jessica, just as she had promised. “Jessica. it has been a while since I have seen her.” They hadn't seen each other in a few months. Jessica was busy with promoting her clothing line, and Taeyeon was busy with promoting her new album “I.” Taeyeon finally arrived at the cabin, her mind a whirl of emotions; elation, nervousness, and just a general sense of happiness. She got out of the car and took a breath of the sweet mountain air, so cold it burned in her lungs, the slight bit of snow from the night before crunching under her boots as she stretched her legs.
The light drifted lazily through the landscape, turning everything vibrant, from the browns of the tree bark, to the last breath of green on the shedding tree limbs, even the snow turning blindingly white. Everything was just as she remembered it, but with one exception. It was winter. Taeyeon laughed, her breath fogging in the cool, winter air. “Finally, I was able to keep my promise.” She said, remembering the promise years ago that they would come back to the cabin, though in winter. Taeyeon walked to the trunk of her car and pulled out the purple suitcase with her belongings and struggled her way to the door, grunting every so often with the effort of lugging her heavy suitcase. Finally she was able to make it inside, stripping off her heavy white winter coat with faux fur around the hood to reveal a simple maroon sweater, the sleeves long enough to reach the tips of her thumbs. “Hah! I still got it. I beat Jessica here.” She smirked. Taeyeon made her way to the bedroom to begin the unpacking process, lugging her heavy suitcase behind her once again. After she unpacked and put away her clothes, she made her way back to the den in order to build a blazing fire and give the cabin a homely feel as well as generate warmth. Taeyeon shivered slightly as she piled logs into the fireplace and struggled to light the match, finally succeeding on her fourth try and worked the small flame into a blaze. Not even 10 minutes passed when she heard a car approaching. Taeyeon rushed to the door, opening it quickly, her heart fluttering in her chest, but the car turned down the road towards a different cabin. “Where is that girl? She better not have gotten lost.”Taeyeon muttered to herself, shutting the door once again to go curl up by the fireplace with her book. A few hours passed agonizingly slow, Taeyeon occasionally adding another log into the fire and checking the time every 10 minutes, waiting for her Jessica to show up. Finally, Taeyeon heard another car, though this time being wary of whether it was for her or not. However, when she heard the car door shut, she sprang up from her spot near the fireplace and ran to the door, her heart once again fluttering. She opened the door noticing the darkness creeping steadily down the horizon, with the night sky turning from a dark navy blue to a deep purple. The colors lightening steadily from yellow to orange to a fiery red around the setting sun. There Jessica stood, looking up at Taeyeon, her smile putting to shame even the brilliant display of the setting sun, and suddenly Taeyeon ran towards her. Jessica opened her arms and Taeyeon rushed into them being enclosed in her embrace once again. She had forgotten how soft and tender Jessica’s hugs were. The way she smelled of lavender. The soft curve of her hips, though it had only been a few months. Jessica coughed and managed to say in a strangled tone “Taeyeon, you are crushing me.” “Sorry!” Taeyeon said, half laughing as she loosened her grip. “I just missed you so much.” Jessica smiled warmly once again. “I missed you too.” They embraced one more time before Taeyeon helped her to get inside with her luggage. They unpacked together, laying Jessica's clothes besides Taeyeon's in the dresser, savoring each other's company. They finally finished and moved back to the den, noticing the darkness held at bay by the light of their fire, snow slowly drifting and being added to yesterday's small bout. Jessica looked outside, slightly open at the landscape she beheld. “Taeyeon, come look at this!” Jessica called, beckoning Taeyeon over. Taeyeon moved to her side, wrapping her arm around Jessica's waist and peering out the window. A steady stream of snow drifted down lazily, creating a thick blanket of white across the ground as well as muffling the slight sound of the wind in the trees. Further on she saw the cloudless night beyond the mountains, the sky littered with hundreds of thousands of tiny, winking lights, some brighter, some barely visible. “It's so beautiful…” Jessica said, trailing off, betraying her sense of wonder with her voice. “Taeyeon looked at Jessica, drinking in her appearance and saying silently “Yes… you are.” Before kissing her lightly on the cheek. Jessica giggled and brushed her nose on Taeyeon's before saying “I was talking about outside!” Taeyeon replying with “I know!” Before giggling lightly herself. After, the two cuddled closer to the fire, Taeyeon facing the fire, resting her arms on Jessica's chest and stomach as Jessica laid on her lap. They talked deep in to the night: about their schedules, the how the other members of the group were doing, about Jessica's clothing brand and her upcoming solo album. Jessica yawned slightly, mumbling “What time is it?” Taeyeon checked her phone, noticing that she had no cell phone service up in the quiet mountain side. “It's 2 A.M.” Taeyeon gasped, surprised at how late it was. “We should get to sleep.” Jessica nodding in agreement. Together they retired to the bedroom, stripping out of their clothes, Taeyeon marveling at how smooth Jessica's skin was, seemingly glowing in the soft starlight reflected off the snow into the bedroom. Taeyeon began comparing, noticing the small flaws in her own skin, the scar spoiling her otherwise prefect midriff, her height in comparison to her partners, how Jessica's eyes seemed to glow serenely, and hers seemed a flat brown. Jessica pulled her light blue pajama top on and noticed Taeyeon staring at her. “What?” Jessica said blushing and pulling her pajama top over her legs, hiding then from view. “I can't help but stare. You are too beautiful, Sica.” Taeyeon replied, pulling out her old nickname. Taeyeon quickly changed into her pajama top, which was grey and plaid with matching pajama bottoms as Jessica finished sliding in to her pajamas and laid on the bed. Taeyeon slid in next to her and laid her head down on Jessica's chest, listening to the slow, rhythmic beat of her heart while draping her arm over Jessica's stomach, savoring the warmth of her body. “I couldn't stand being away from you, you know.” Jessica whispered into the darkness. “I know, Sica. I hated it too. We were just so busy. I wanted to see you every day though…” Taeyeon replied, her voice going softer with every word as drowsiness crept over her. “But we are together again.” Taeyeon added. However Jessica had already drifted off to sleep. Taeyeon chuckled lightly thinking in her head “same old Sica.” Before lugging her head off Jessica's chest and kissing her lightly on the lips and whispering goodnight. And so the night passed, snow steadily building into a thick blanket covering the ground and the branches of trees, creating a profound and yet wonderful silence within the mountains. A unique world in which the only thing that mattered to Taeyeon was the girl she had fallen in love with utterly and completely.