1/1

Compatible

According to Plato, everyone had a soulmate, but Taehyung was skeptical. Now typically, he wasn’t the type to deny anything, because he himself was one who really believed that there was nothing that was impossible. And while the theory sounded nice, hope that Taehyung would find his other half, it just did not seem logical. He couldn’t buy into such a theory because of two reasons. 

  1. In 7.4 Billion people, chances of finding your soulmate was 1 in a quadrillion because who knows if that person is still alive… or a relative. (which was a depressing thought ) 
  2. People are just, more compatible with some than others. A perfect match just does not work.  Believing in a soulmate meant also believing in love at first sight and Taehyung was just not a fan. If people fell in love in first sight, that was just lowering it to superficial. 

“You’re saying, you of all people don’t believe in soulmates?” Jungkook looks appalled, it was as if he had just said the most ridiculous thing ever, “That’s like you saying you’re not into guys, you and me, we both know that’s just not true.” The argument had gone on for longer than Taehyung’s and Jungkook’s normal fights do. Now Jungkook didn’t believe in the theory himself but for some reason it was as if he wanted Taehyung to believe it.

“You don’t even agree with him, why are we having this argument?!” Taehyung is frustrated, the youngest had to be bored, or just in the mood to annoy because he wasn’t letting this go. 

Because… because you and Jimin hyung are pretty much that- you guys are attached at the hip 95% of the time; I mean you’re supposed to be the hopeless romantic in us. Why wouldn’t you believe in just about the most romantic thing ever?” That was the last words Jungkook says before the manager had told them to cut it out, and get to wardrobe for their next performance. 

Jungkook had a point though, it was a romantic thought and it would make sense for him to believe it but it just wasn’t convincing. The thoughts stirs in Taehyung’s head for the rest of the day putting him in a weird mood, partly because he didn’t like when Jungkook was right and also because he had thought that Jimin was his ‘Soulmate’. 

It was night by the time that they had finished their schedules and Jimin and Taehyung were put together to share a hotel room. It was the normal routine, Jimin asking if Taehyung would want to wash up first, Taehyung turning down the offer, Jimin then going on to do so first only to find Taehyung lying on the bed that he had picked would be his, then pushing the ‘younger’ to shower because Jimin was technically a hyung and Taehyung should be respecting him and doing what he says, Taehyung blowing a raspberry in Jimin’s direction then actually going to do exactly what Jimin had said- but all came to quiet after that. 

Jimin was reading Taehyung’s driver’s manual when he got out of the shower- “I was trying to see if it actually worked.” Jimin says with a grin at his lips and Taehyung already knows what he was talking about. 

“See if it’d help you sleep?” 

“Yeah.” 

“Yeah, thought so.” Taehyung is soon crawling on to Jimin’s bed, which the latter isn’t all too surprised by. This happened most days when Taehyung wanted to have a serious conversation with the boy, which usually was about that one particular cute fan that they saw that day or if he wanted an honest opinion from Jimin including answering questions like: Do you think that there would be animal ghosts too? But tonight the question was different, one that he wasn’t expecting from Taehyung and he can’t help but laugh when he hears it, “Do you believe in soulmates? You know the four arms four legs thing?”  

“No, not even a bit, if that was true chances are you’ll never find your soulmate; I mean come on, they could be anywhere in the world, they could be dead for all I know.” Jimin says, and for the first time that day Taehyung’s face lights up. Finally someone agreed with him. He had talked about it with a cordi noona after his conversation with Jungkook and she too seemed to disagree with him. 

“Thank you! That’s what I was saying. Can you believe that Jungkook thinks that we’re soulmates?” Taehyung says, and the two share a laugh.  

“Seriously? No… I mean we’re just compatible, we get each other.” Jimin shrugged, “But anyway,” he says patting Taehyung’s thigh, “go to bed we have to get up early tomorrow.” Jimin is tucking himself under the blankets by the time that Taehyung turns off the lights but instead of going back to his bed he joins his same-age friend only to be welcomed with open arms. Taehyung was glad that someone finally agreed with him because it was starting to seem as if he was the only one that had reasoning not to believe in soulmates. 
 
Later he would actually look up the definition of the word soulmates and read that according to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, the definition of soulmate was ‘A close friend who has the same beliefs and opinions; and completely understands you.’

Later he would contemplate Jungkook’s point. 

But for tonight, they were just two compatible friends who found each other between the 7.4 billion people in the world.