One-shot: Arcade

Arcade

Yesterday, I had been notified that I was working with an assistant teacher today. I had just finished my class at the dance academy, that my parents owned.

 

'But, I have never met this person. How am I supposed to work alongside someone I have never met?' I had asked, with an annoyed expression on my face. My mother had just glanced at me, then turning back to her computer, answered me.

 

'You'll just have to figure something out, I suppose.' At her reply, I turned away. 'Stop being so melodramatic, Jung Taeji. You were raised better than that,' my mother continued, fingers tapping away at the keyboard, a small smile playing around . 'Who knows? Maybe you won't mind the assistant teacher.'

 

I whirled around to face my mother. 'As long as this assistant doesn't get in my way, this person should be fine. By the way, is the assistant a man or a woman?'

 

'I guess, you'll have to wait and see.' That was yesterday and I was still a bit upset that my mother hadn't told me. 'I might as well get to the studio early and dance off some frustration,' I thought, grabbing my bright red bag, which I used for my dance clothes and the stuff I needed for teaching. I slipped on the oversized hoodie that my best friend, Taehwa, had gotten me for my birthday two weeks ago. Bright blue with neon green, Dance Mode Loading..., emblazoned across the back, it had quickly become your favourite article of clothing. Running downstairs, I heard my father calling my younger brother's name.

 

Jaejin! Why are you not dressed for school yet? Why can't you be more like your sister? She has college studies, as well as teaching at the academy. And she still does well. Get out of bed! If you get up now, there might be some toast left over. If not, you will have to go to school without breakfast.” Dad must have seen me race down the stairs because I heard a “See you at the academy, Taeji!” I waved a quick goodbye, then turned the doorknob and quickly ran down the porch steps towards the sidewalk. Thank goodness, it was autumn. The leaves were starting to turn colour and the air was cooler. I stopped at the sidewalk, and smiled, inhaling the scent of coming snow. I reached into my pocket for my phone and, curling my fingers around it, took it out. Turning it on, I saw that I had 30 minutes before my class started. I stuck it back in my pocket, and put my cross-body style bag over my shoulder. I was about to start jogging when I heard my name being called. Turning around, I saw Taehwa jogging towards me.

 

Hi Taehwa!” I answered, as she got close enough to hear me.

 

Taeji, thank goodness... you heard me! Have you.. found out.. who the assistant.. is yet?” she panted, putting her hand on my shoulder. I shook my head, my black, waist-length hair swinging around.

 

Not yet. Mom wouldn't tell me and Dad hasn't really talked to me at all, other than a quick 'goodbye, see you later' this morning. Jaejin wouldn't know because he's never even at the academy at all. Why? Have you found something out?” I inquired, eyes wide, hoping she might have heard something. After all, she did have inside information, from Park Kyungmin(her boyfriend), that even I wasn't told, sometimes. 

 

The only thing Kyungmin would tell me is that, the assistantis male. That's it. I couldn't get anything more out of him on that topic,” Taehwa responded, nodding her head and causing her brown curls to bounce.

 

Well, thanks for trying, anyway. At least, I know what I'm up against now. Sort of. Let's go!”

 

We set off down the sidewalk, making our way towards business district of the city, leaves crunching under our feet, as we walked.

 

 

-At the Studio-

 

BTS' “Run” was blasting through the speakers, in the room that I used, when teaching my class. It was still 10 minutes before class, and I had decided that this was the best song to use, as I tried to dance out my frustration. I moved towards the final pose, the song coming to an end. Not noticing that someone had come into the room, I jumped up when I heard clapping. Turning, I found a tall, blond-haired and, might I say, gorgeous, man, leaning against the wall. Self-consciously, I checked my appearance, finding, with horror, that my hair was messy and sweat was now pouring down my face. However, I lifted my chin and regarded the man in front of me.

 

How did you get in here?” I inquired, as the man stood up straight. He was even taller than I expected, although his face was a little small and round for someone so tall. His jawline though, was a work of art.

 

I'm the assistant for the next couple of classes. Han Sanghyuk. It's a pleasure to meet you. You must be Jung Taeji. I've heard a lot about you. And what I just saw, definitely confirmed what I've heard,” he smiled, bowing slightly, his hair falling into his face. He, hurriedly, combed it back with his fingers.

 

Yes, I am Jung Taeji. Was it that bad?” I joked, also bowing.

 

No, not at all. It was amazing. Actually, you are the reason I asked to be the assistant for this class.”

 

You asked to be my assistant? Why?”

 

I wanted to get to know you. And I think the best way to do that would be to go on a date with me after we are done teaching the class today. What do you say?”

 

It sounds tempting. But, do my parents know about this?”

 

Yes, actually. When I told them why I wanted to be here, they agreed wholeheartedly. So, do you want to go on a date with me?”

 

I stood there, my jaw dropping in shock. I couldn't focus on his face any longer.

 

Taeji! Taeji! Han Tae-” 'Wait, what? My name is Jung Taeji!'

 

Han Taeji! Wake up!” Someone was shaking me. My eyes slowly blinked open and I turned over, sunlight streaming into the room. I saw my husband there, looking quite amused.

 

What are you waking me up for, Han Sanghyuk? Today is my day off! The one day I don't have to teach and you wake me up,” I started grumbling.

 

Jagiya, I was asking if you wanted to go on a date with me since you had time today. Then, I realized you were answering me in your sleep.”

 

Oh. I'm sorry. I'll get up right away and get ready to go.” I threw the blankets off and stood up in my sleep shirt and shorts. Rubbing my eyes, I made my way to the bathroom. And stopped, halfway there. “Wait, where are we going?” I asked, turning to face Hyuk, only to find him right behind me. I leaned my head back, to look up at him. He smiled, slightly.

 

The arcade. The one we went to on our first date,” he replied, enveloping me in a hug, and burying his face in the crook of my neck.

 

 

 

The End