one

simple mind

At 8:25 in the morning, SVT High School was bustling with arriving students. Some had their heads hung low as they made their way to the floors where their respective classes were. A couple of first years looked as though they had resigned to their fate, while several seniors looked grim.

It was the Monday right after the first set of midterm exams.

After a busy week of studying and exam taking, the students were anxious to see how they fared. The seniors, in particular, were the most nervous. The atmosphere of the main building’s third floor was somber as they entered their classrooms and took their seats. In class 3-1, Jung Minyoung yawned into the sleeve of her sweater. Like many students also in their senior year, Minyoung was up studying late. With only three hours of sleep, tired was an understatement.

Once the clock on the wall reached 8:30 on the dot, class 3-1’s homeroom teacher, Mrs. Jeon, arrived.

“Alright, everybody, settle down.” Mrs. Jeon called out as she set down a folder on the teacher’s table.

“I have your grades from last week’s exams.” The class groaned in unison and Mrs. Jeon clucked disapprovingly as she opened up the file.

“Now, before I start giving out the grades,” the teacher began. “Most of you guys did a great job. Some of you can do better. Don’t forget that there’s another examination right before summer break begins. Start working hard now while it’s not too late.”

Several students looked down at their desks at the teacher’s advice. Minyoung listened intently for her name as Mrs. Jeon called out names and handed out slips of paper that had each student’s marks from each subject and their ranking out of the 260 senior students. Minyoung felt like she could burst any moment thanks to the combination of anxiety, lack of sleep, and caffeine.

Mrs. Jeon paused to read the name on the paper as she peered at Minyoung’s direction over her glasses. “Jung Minyoung.”

Minyoung felt her legs turn into jelly as she walked up to the table. Mrs. Jeon gave her a kind smile as she passed over the folded piece of paper. “Congratulations, dear.”

The girl sunk into her seat as she gingerly unfolded the paper, her eyes skimming over her grades. 93 99 95…93…96….100!

When Minyoung’s gaze reached the rightmost box on the paper, fell open. Typed neatly in bold font was a big number 1, marked out of 260 students.

She had topped the senior year for the first exam.

The rest of the morning passed by uneventfully and the bell rang, signaling the start of the lunch period. Several students rushed out of the classroom, eager for a warm meal at the cafeteria. Minyoung pulled out a tall square lunchbox from her backpack as her classmate and friend, Lee Iseul, marched up to her desk and turned a chair around for her to sit in.

“How did exams go?” Iseul asked curiously as she opened her lunchbox. The girl’s lunch for the day was bibimbap, still warm thanks to the container.

“They went great,” Minyoung replied as she opened her lunchbox, which was full of kimbap freshly made that morning. “How about you?”

“Super!” Iseul beamed as she leaned in close. “So what was your rank? I’m at fourth again, as usual.”

Minyoung looked around as she set down her chopsticks. “I got first!” she whispered excitedly.

Iseul gasped, taking Minyoung’s hands in hers. “Oh my god! Minyoung! Congratulations!”

“Thanks!” the girl beamed as Iseul continued to babble enthusiastically.

“That means you beat out Yoon Jeonghan from next door!” Iseul grinned. “We have to celebrate! Let’s go get parfaits next time. My treat!”

Minyoung happily nodded in agreement as they continued to eat lunch and talk for the next ten minutes. Their discussion was cut short when the classroom door slid open and the girls turned their attention to the visitor.

“Oh, Minyoung and Iseul,” Hong Jisoo, from the next-door class 3-2, greeted them with a wave. “Are you two busy right now?”

Both girls shook their heads and Jisoo smiled softly as he continued. “Great! Coach Kim is asking for you guys.”

Iseul pointed to herself and Minyoung. “Coach Kim? Coach Kim?

Jisoo laughed. “Yeah, Coach Kim. He says it’s really urgent.”

 

The two girls quickly packed up their lunches before following Jisoo, making sure to tuck the chairs in before they left. They made their way down the stairs and to the first floor, which housed the first years’ classrooms and faculty offices.

"Oh man, what if he’s making us do something gym related?” Iseul wondered, her brows furrowing at the idea. “I mean, it’s Coach Kim of all people.”

“I don’t think it’ll be like that,” assured Jisoo from Minyoung’s right. He slid open the door to a usually empty study room beside class 1-5, which was often used by first years.

“I found them!” the boy announced as they walked in. The teacher in question, Coach Kim, was standing at the front of the room. Near him were a few people she recognized as English teacher Miss Hwang, Yoon Jeonghan, second years Lee Jihoon and Kang Hyemi, and first years Ahn Jiae and Kim Mingyu. Coach Kim motioned for the three of them to join the group at the front. Minyoung’s brows furrowed as she registered the faces of the individuals seated in front of her.

Boo Seungkwan…. Choi Hansol…. Jeon Wonwoo…Lee Seokmin…. Lee Chan…. she thought as she quickly scanned their faces. After a moment, she groaned inwardly. For god’s sake, it was the school’s basketball team. Minyoung turned to Coach Kim with a confused stare. The coach gave a little cough as he turned towards the group standing at the front.

“Okay, I’m sure you guys are confused why I called for you.” he began. “I'll quick about it. I need you guys to tutor the basketball team one-on-one."

All of the students present looked bewildered. Tutor? The basketball team?

"The principal wants the team to maintain their academics but that’s going to be a bit tricky this year.” Coach Kim paused as he sighed deeply. “As you all know, we’re going for our 10th championship this year. If we want to be able to play in the games, the principal says the team’s studies can’t fall behind. Unfortunately after last week’s exams…..things are looking kind of grim.”

Miss Hwang spoke up next. “We know you guys are busy and if you feel like you can’t make room for it, it’s no problem. If the university you’re looking into looks at extracurriculars, this is a great opportunity. We’re not asking for much, just an hour and a half every other day starting today after school.”

Minyoung became alert at the mention of university and extracurriculars as Ahn Jiae raised her hand to speak next.

“Yes, Jiae?”

“But why us?” the first year asked. 

Miss Hwang smiled. “Because you guys did well on your exams. Also in the first years’ cases, you guys know the material better because you’re in the same grade.”

Coach Kim looked at the potential tutors, who were mulling over their thoughts. “Any other questions? Is everyone okay with it? We’re not going to hold it against you if you can't do it so don’t worry.”

Minyoung glanced at Iseul, who had an interested expression on her face. Tutoring was going to take up some of her time after school since it was going to be an hour and a half every other day. However, if she participated, there would be benefits for her. Tutoring was a great way to help retain information and it would look very attractive on her application for university. Some universities looked at extracurricular activities as proof that one can balance school and participate in other activities.

 

Thus Minyoung only had one conclusion: why the hell not?

 

The standing group looked at one another, seemingly arriving to a conclusion and they shook their heads. Both teachers looked relieved as Miss Hwang opened a folder.

Alright then! Since we’re good to go, we can tell you who your partners are so you guys can start tutoring after school today.”

She started to read out the names of the pairs and Minyoung noted how the first two were paired because they were in the same grade. Second year Kwon Soonyoung was partners with Lee Jihoon, while Ahn Jiae was paired with fellow first year Lee Chan.

The English teacher was about to read out the third set of names when the door abruptly slid open and everyone turned to see who it was.

“Choi Seungcheol! You’re late!” Miss Hwang frowned in disapproval at the new arrival.

“Sorry!” The boy, Choi Seungcheol, grinned apologetically as he ruffled his already messily side swept hair. He took a seat beside Seokmin, who gave him a fist-bump in greeting.

Coach Kim shook his head at the boy’s tardiness. “At least you’re here. Everyone’s finding out who’s tutoring them.”

“As I was saying,” Miss Hwang turned to Minyoung. “Minyoung, you’re paired with our late arrival and team captain Seungcheol.”

Minyoung blinked.

Choi Seungcheol.

The captain of the basketball team and the guy nearly every girl in the school had a crush on.

The Choi Seungcheol.

Her gaze fell on him and she felt an indescribable emotion stir internally as they made eye contact with one another. The boy gave her a grin, his eyes crinkling into crescents.

 

At that moment, only one thing went through her mind: Oh god.

 


 

This chapter is a bit slow but the ball will start rolling from now on. This chapter is unbeta'd at the moment so there might be some mistakes. Thank you for reading!